What's new

A Look at Indian Army's Main Battle Tanks

how many arjun tanks have been inducted... :coffee:

World Class Indian Development ,, My foot ..Really I do burn when I see such a crap...

I fear you may call it the best tank of the world... :omghaha:

Well, our Al Khalids are far better than this tin tank.... You must compare it with that, however not with Al Khalid I.....that would be really insulting for the brainless nationalists....Hope, you got it...

ACid Rain said 124 in first batch

Each armoured regiment in the Indian army is authorized 62 tanks. Two regiments (124 tanks) of Arjun Mk1 have been fully operational for some time now, and two more regiments are being raised, so four regiments (248 tanks) of the Mk1 will be operational very soon.

The Mk2 is conclusively better than anything else in the Indian arsenal, including the latest from Russia, and it's development and trials are complete. We don't know how many of these the IA will order, but presumably a lot more than Mk1. All future MBTs of the IA will be successive iterations of Arjun (mk3, mk4 etc). Earlier they planned on developing an FMBT (Future MBT), but the program was cancelled when the Arjun performed so remarkably in recent times.

So the IA will have two main battle tanks for the foreseeable future - Arjuns and T-90s. The huge number of T-72s will serve as the lighter workhorse until their retirement.

World Class Indian Development ,, My foot ..Really I do burn when I see such a crap...

I fear you may call it the best tank of the world... :omghaha:

Well, our Al Khalids are far better than this tin tank.... You must compare it with that, however not with Al Khalid I.....that would be really insulting for the brainless nationalists....Hope, you got it...

The typical "Yours is crap, ours is great" from juvenile fanboys, with no datapoints and no facts to backup their opinions. Others, please stay away from this d*ck measurer. Lets hope he grows up in a few years time.

As the article states, we have already contracted the purchase of 354 T-90MS for the north east, comprising six regiments - presumably for the new mountain strike corps. These will be the mainstay on thee Chinese front. So there is no more scope for any additional tanks. A good decision, since we don't want three kinds of MBTs in service. The T-90, and future iterations of Arjun will be our only two MBTs.

The problem with T-90s are, much of the infrastructure of Northeast won't support 45-50 tonnes of tank. Thus reducing it's area on deployment in that zone.

The solution would be to import and deploy tanks like Anders having weight below 35 tonnes. So that it could be deployed in the forward bases.

902519.jpg

Or develop a separate turret and fit it on existing T-55 platforms to suit the specific role. Like this.

1512006215152233xt4.jpg

arjun has twice armor of any chinese, russian and pakistani tank out there. Army officials know this but do **** like this

More armor, better firepower, higher mobility, and Mk2 also features the best self protection suite in the world from Israel (trophy).

Better in every respect. One drawback is the weight, which is a disadvantage in marshy and mountainous terrain. But for the plains and deserts, there is no better MBT for India.

well AL KHALID IS way Better then T-90 For Sure

Mate , must not make it dick measuring thread.. If you want to know bout Arjuna, this thread is best. If you want to troll all thread are best..

http://www.defence.pk/forums/indian-defence/4345-arjun-news-discussions.html

Some posts from this thread..

First of all,the Germany (Renk) had supplied the active transmition system of Arjun MkI.The hydro gas suspension was at 1st supplied by General dynamics of USA but that system had repeatedly malfuntioned and was changed with an indigenous suspension developed by CVRDE.
And secondly,no.Arjun MkII won't be cheaper,its stated price is 7+ million $ unit.

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/indian-defence/4345-arjun-news-discussions-135.html#ixzz2MjosKBpB

JODHPUR (PTI): The defence establishment of the country will be keeping a close watch as India's Main Battle Tank Arjun Mark II, which can fire missiles to destroy long range targets, goes through trials in the dessert environs of Pokharan.

The pre-induction trials, which started Saturday, are about the efficacy of scientific and technological up gradation of features of Arjun II, which is under developmental phase.

"Such trials will be undertaken quite frequently till the time it is handed over to the Army," said Col SD Goswami, Defence spokesperson.

Weighing 62 tonnes each, the Army has placed an order for 124 such tanks at a cost of Rs 5,000 crore.

DRDO is working on Arjun Mark II at the CVRDE (Combat Vehicles Research & Development Establishment) with an immediate task of demonstrating it to the user and ensure the delivery of the first batch comprising 30 tanks by 2013-14.

One of the vital features of the tank is that a missile can be fired from it to destroy long range targets and bring down helicopters. It is also equipped with a panoramic night vision.

The tank will also have an automatic target tracking system, which will add to accuracy while firing on a moving target.

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/indian-defence/4345-arjun-news-discussions-134.html#ixzz2MjpLPjxY

Al-Khalid

Specifications
Weight 46 t (51 short tons)
Length 10.07 m (33.0 ft)
Width 3.50 m (11.5 ft)
Height 2.40 m (7.9 ft)
Crew 3
Armour Composite armour, RHA, ERA
Main
armament 125 mm smoothbore gun, 39 rds
Secondary
armament 7.62 mm coaxial MG, 3000 rds
12.7 mm external AA MG, 500 rds
Engine KMDB 6TD-2 6-cylinder diesel
1,200 hp (890 kW)
Power/weight 26 hp/tonne
Transmission SESM ESM500 5-speed automatic
Suspension Torsion bars, hydraulic dampers
Operational
range 500 km (combat range)
Speed 72 km/h

Arjun

Specifications
Weight 58.5 tonnes (57.6 long tons; 64.5 short tons)
Length 10.638 metres (34 ft 10.8 in)
Width 3.864 metres (12 ft 8.1 in)
Height 2.32 metres (7 ft 7 in)
Crew 4 (commander, gunner, loader and driver)
Armor steel/composite Kanchan armour.
Main
armament 120 mm rifled tank gun
LAHAT anti-tank missile
HEAT, APFSDS, HESH Rounds
Secondary
armament HCB 12.7 mm AA MG
Mag 7.62 mm Tk715 coaxial MG
Engine MTU 838 Ka 501 diesel
1,400 hp (1,040 kW)
Power/weight 23.9hp/tonne,
Transmission Renk epicyclic train gearbox, 4 fwd + 2 rev gears
Suspension hydropneumatic
Ground clearance 0.45 metres (1 ft 6 in)
Fuel capacity 1,610 litres (350 imp gal; 430 US gal)
Operational
range 450 kilometres (280 mi)
Speed 72 km/h (45 mph) Road
40 km/h (25 mph) Cross country

More armor, better firepower, higher mobility, and Mk2 also features the best self protection suite in the world from Israel (trophy).

Better in every respect. One drawback is the weight, which is a disadvantage in marshy and mountainous terrain. But for the plains and deserts, there is no better MBT for India.

Dont even Bring ISrael into this Because they could not Save their tanks From Rag Tag Arab Bags that Killed them Like Flies and they had to stop sending them in It is well Documented and ISrael Technology wise is even Behind Russia,Well Even Sweden Their Ehud barack came here in america to finalized a Deal on CIWS to Protect them from Hamas rockets because thier IRon DOme Is not Working out of 1500 it only interecept 400 and the rest landed in ISrael thus in actual reality it was a total failur 1100 rockets from Hamas and 1100 From Iron Dome landing in ISrael :omghaha:

But I Like ARJUN tank but they could have made the turret more lowprofile it will Stick out in certain combat situation all the modern tanks have low profile turrets check out the new tank that japan is developing only 2 man crew auto every thing and its is half the size of M1 in terms of Height and made by special anti ballistic Plastic armour which is very advanced

Last edited by a moderator:
To Indians:

Don't let the juvenile, name calling, dick measuring, "mine is great, yours is crap" sort of "analysts" derail the thread. Let's not reply to them anymore, unless they actually come up with any data points. Other than claiming their repainted and renamed Chinese copies to be the best thing since brown bread, they don't really have anything worthwhile to respond to. Some day they will learn to differentiate between reality and what they want to believe as reality, and the test to differentiate the two - hard facts.

Dont even Bring ISrael into this Because they could not Save their tanks From Rag Tag Arab Bags that Killed them Like Flies and they had to stop sending them in It is well Documented and ISrael Technology wise is even Behind Russia,Well Even Sweden Their Ehud barack came here in america to finalized a Deal on CIWS to Protect them from Hamas rockets because thier IRon DOme Is not Working out of 1500 it only interecept 400 and the rest landed in ISrael thus in actual reality it was a total failur 1100 rockets from Hamas and 1100 From Iron Dome landing in ISrael :omghaha:

But I Like ARJUN tank but they could have made the turret more lowprofile it will Stick out in certain combat situation all the modern tanks have low profile turrets check out the new tank that japan is developing only 2 man crew auto every thing and its is half the size of M1 in terms of Height and made by special anti ballistic Plastic armour which is very advanced

Thats kind of funny post. You know why Iron Done do not intercept remaining rockets bez they didnt poses any threat to Isreal. The remaining rocket lands just on bare land. 1100 rockets could do huge destruction any wherein wolrd, but surprise that there is very low loss from Isreal side after war. Although Isreals may be inferior in tech but they come with unique solution for there unique challenges.:azn:

Thanks for Arjun, may be we will see that in following variants or in compelete mk2.:tup:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom