What's new

33 Million Gods in India and Not ONE capable of producing Oxygen! Charlie Hebdo

Being irreligious has its benefits for sure. For example, the countries that have more irreligious people tend to have more scientific temper than the rest. Being a wealthy country doesn't make someone irreligious, if that was the case Emiratis and Luxumbrg must be mostly irreligious which isn't the case and quite the contrary.

The point I am making is countries with more irreligious people tend to be doing better in terms of economy, social security, and development than the ones that are deeply religious.

If you would have mentioned India under Modi Hindutva directly, I would agree but your jibe at Islam and you think you can walk away is foolish. If you have no religion, fine then as you are free to live in your limits but it doesn't allow you to mock religion and especially a veiled tantrums. Be respectful.
if religious people were more moral, by this logic Saudia and Pakistan would be the epitome of morality and UK and Norway, Finland a den of immorality with everything from murder to rampant corruption. but many such cases of the religious fleeing their strongholds to establish themselves in immoral irreligious strongholds that curiously appear to have much more value for things like human life and dignity.

I think your problem is seeing some nude women protesting as more immoral than one man beating his wife or daughter for going out of home. while the religious accuse the irreligious of having a "twisted" morality, it's pretty clear to a rational observer if a few nude protests are more or less twisted than rampant rape cases.

even if I grant that, I still doubt a just God can throw people in hell for rejecting a believe system and acting otherwise justly. you may argue one cannot be just without being religious, but obvious I reject that. and this is not to even the count that "religiously just" people who do sanctioned things like enslaving the wives of their enemies and using them as sex slaves and don't even have to ask for forgiveness for these things to go to heaven. you can do apologetics all day on how slavery wasn't like that American system or how in that time enslaving widows was good, but no sane person is going to believe that.

Hers my advice. It should be the last time of yours for disrespecting religion. There will be no warning or no next time.

Last edited:
But no Hindu is crying to remove French ambassador, nor I or anyone else is triggered here. No one’s crying to behad the cartoon maker. Difference.

Since when you people ever get triggered by people you worship like Gods in the first place. It is only Indian minorities that you lynch by making fake accusation. You people talk as if we havnt seen you neo Nazi Hindus in action. You people are basically incapable of standing up to people stronger than you. It is only week and vulnerable you decide to lynch.

Well if you are so insecure about your religion that you will go on a killing rampage for such a silly thing(a satirical journal) then it only shows that you are not secure about your religion and don't even believe/follow your own religion. Who kills others because they think they drew their prophet/gods messenger satirically?
Do you as a human being really think you are important enough to fight for your GOD? Is your GOD that impotent? seriously people should relax. Moreover i have seen drawings of holy Christian figures in Charlie Hebdo and other similar journals as well. However, you wont hear that because they don't give it any importance and carry on with their life instead of going on killing rampage.
This is why i like staying away from religion, it makes people very irrational/emotional to the point they lose their reasoning.

Oh boy knew this thread would turn ugly. Let's be real anyone disrespecting our religion we will feel bad, but it's just that most of us here have a much higher level of tolerance towards such bashings.
Being believers of the only major polytheistic pantheon of Gods does attract lots of such work from various comedic channels who use our Gods in their sketches. A very high level of security/superiority fed about your own religion, basically how it has survived for thousands of years while the other polytheistic ones fell around it contributes to that felling that few peoples opinions don't matter on our religion as it is sanatan dharma (eternal religion) and meant to last forever.
Ha also there are people who still classify as hindus being atheist/agnostic (you can do that) so for them also this doesn't matter.

Taking religion seriously doesn't mean going around killing people.

On certain things, it does actually. Some lines shouldn't be crossed.

We aren't Abrahamics lol. So now you are offended that Hindus aren't offended about this like the Abrahamics are which is completely stupid.

Who am I to get offended when it is clear that Hindus think their religion is a joke. It is not my religion. I was just stating my observation.

undercover mod

@? (Comments like keep region out of it) out of what...what post did you delete.

@WebMaster @waz @krash etc....who is the mod @? ....you cannot contact him. He is undercover....is this normal behaviour? And why is he following me reading every post and making comments yet hiding? Example...delete a post with a comment and I have no idea what post he deleted. What bs is this? Pen pusher and jobs worth I guess

I guess some people like following. Enjoy...

Maybe other posts here should be deleted .... as I see many many with religion in it.....but we are all equal some more so than others...you keep hiding

Last edited:
Charlie Hebdo cartoon mocking Hindu deities for Covid-19 crisis turns out to be fake?

Don't embarrass yourself. It is authentic and posted by Charlie Hebdo. Read the news you posted yourself instead of just reading the headline. The opindia news you posted itself says that it is authentic.

You are arbitrarily accusing Yogi of things in your fantasy.
Here are some of Yogi's misogynist, suffocating views :
He believes women need male protection from birth to death and their ‘energy/power’ should be regulated or controlled, lest it become worthless and destructive.
He adds the shastras say that a woman is protected in her childhood by her father, by her husband in her youth and by her son in her old age — so that way a woman is not capable of being left free or independent.
Read the entire article. Just like Bajrang Dal, Sri Rama Sena etc object to a woman's choice of mate, especially if a Muslim, and don't consider her a human in her own right Yogi too doesn't see women as humans in their own right. After all he desires for the Manusmriti to replace the current Indian Constitution.

And I am sure if modern laws weren't present in India he would have supported Sati too or at least for leaving the widow to a life of cloistered but social oppression. And no support for divorce too. Other such things.

And I asked you if you were a man or woman because it would be tragic for a woman to support such a misogynist person. Nevertheless, for a human of any gender Yogi's views are toxic.

You criticising Taliban or Al Qaeda is irrelevant. Yogi is not an organisation but an individual.

No, it is relevant. Taliban and Al Qaeda are also composed of individuals. Like I criticize Yogi I would also criticize Mullah Omar, the now dead chief of Taliban, who was also an individual. Yogi and his likes are individuals who together form an idea. And that idea must be countered.

Will you criticise Tipu Sultan, Muhammad Ghori, Muhammad Ghazni, Akbar, Jahangir, Humayun of the past? Or people of the present like Mohammad Bin Salman, Ayatollah, Bajwa, Erdogan, Imran Khan, Mahathir etc? Giving false analogy is your specialty.

Tipu was a progressive man for his times. Other than his ( some ) technological ideas he acted against feudalism and appropriated properties from oppressive Upper Caste people and distributed those to the oppressed. Also, in today's terminology he would have been called an Internationalist. I quote this article :
A ruler, who once identified himself with the American and French Revolution and Jacobinism, has remained an enigma to many.
Read the rest of the article for some of his other contributions.

The late and prominent playwright and actor Girish Karnad, who is from Karnataka, said that Tipu was one of the greatest Kannadigas in the last 500 years. This is the interview's transcript :
Amidst a raging debate over the celebration of Tipu Sultan's birth anniversary, Jnanpith award-winning playwright Girish Karnad received a death threat via an anonymous Twitter handle on Thursday, where he has been warned that he "will meet the same end like Kalburgi" for his praise of 18th century ruler.

India Today Television's consulting editor Rajdeep Sardesai spoke to Girish Karnad about the controversy surrounding Tipu Sultan.

Excerpts from the interview:

Q.
Do you regret your remarks on Tipu Sultan, especially when you called for the Bengaluru airport to be renamed after Tipu?

A. I'm sad that there is controversy, because that was not the intention. I just made a casual remark that I would have liked before the international airport was started. If it would have been named after Tipu Sultan, because he was born in Devanahalli. That's all I said. What is controversial about it? I did not say that the name of the airport should be changed, although even television reporters seem to have got it wrong. Yesterday I was being interviewed, they said, "Oh you said this." I said, "No I did not say this." There's nothing to regret. What I regret is a controversy created over nothing.

Q. They why have you apologised? If there is nothing to apologise for, is it under specific pressure, under some kind of intimidation?

A. I apologised because some of the people in the administration of the state, I would not mention their names, said to me that the anger will go down and things will become more controlable if you just explain to them that you did not make the statement. So I apologised only for the hurt caused, I did not apologise for my statement.

Q. You said that your remarks on Tipu were casual, but wasn't it also a bit misguided? Especially since he is a polarising figure in Karnataka. Some see him as a tyrant, others as a patriot.

A. Well, I don't care. I call him a patriot. In fact, I would not use the word 'patriot', I think he was a great king, he was a great thinker, a great strategist, and he did so much for Karnataka. I stand by what I said. I admire him. I think he is one of the best Kannadigas we had in the last 500 years, after the fall of Vijaynagar. And how much he has done for the state, I don't need to repeat it, it's all been said.

Q. But there in another side to the Tipu historiography, which sees him as someone who persecuted Hindus. How do you respond to that? Because that is also at the core of this debate.

A. Yes, but he also slaughtered Moplas. The Moplas were not Hindus, they were Muslims. The rules of warfare in the 18th century were very different from what it is today. Kerala, Coorg, Mysore and Maharashtra were all considered separate countries. People now protest as an Indian, but no. That's why I called him a Kannadiga. Now, he has got an all India reputation. He was certainly ruthless in many of his movements. But then so were everyone else. Marathas were ruthless. That was what all armies did. I'm not blaming Marathas or Tipu. You can't judge Tipu now, in the 20th century for doing what he did in the 17th century. But what you can admire him for is what he brought to the country, what he brought to Karnataka.

Q. But the fact is that the Karnataka government chooses to honour him with this jayanti. Isn't it entering dangerous territory? They even got the date wrong, his birthday is November 20 and they announced a jayanti on November 10.

A. That's for the state to decide, it's not my concern. It's for the chief minister to decide. I do not celebrate birthday's at home, I do not believe in celebrations.

Q. Don't you see this as a sign of ugly vote bank politics, pitting Hindu groups against Muslim groups?

A. I won't comment on it. I'm sure they have their responsibilities, they have their obligations, they have their games to play. We all play games and the state chief minister must have his games and strategies to play. Fair enough. I'm not going to advice them.

Q. Don't you think the Karnataka government should have more useful things to do than celebrating a Tipu Jayanti? This is a state with agrarian distress and farmer suicides.

A. Maybe. But I'm not interested, it does not concern me. I don't want to comment on it.

Q. You don't want to comment on the Tipu Jayanti organised by the state. The fact though is that you have received death threats for your comments, is that what worries you? Anyone who expresses an alternate view gets attacked in extremely violent terms.

A. Absolutely. Forget Girish Karnad, the kind of language which was used in Bihar by political leaders was even worse. I have not yet been abused so badly. I'm not on Twitter or Facebook. Every writer must have a right to express himself, that's all. I have not done any physical harm to anyone. A person who does not like Tipu, has the right to write a play about him and celebrate him or attack him, as they like.

Q. There are those who would say that you have deliberately offended sentiments of a section of Hindus and provoked them. How do you respond?

A. In Karnataka there are several plays on Tipu, all admiring him. I wan not the first one. He is a folk hero in Karnataka. In fact, the first play I saw of him was when I was seven or eight years old. Even small town playwrights were writing about him. He is a folk hero.

Q. I take your point, but you also stirred another controversy when you suggested if Tipu Sultan was a Hindu ruler, there would not have been such outrage. Do you stick to that?

A. Yes, indeed so. He did everything. I said that if he was a Hindu ruler, he would be worshipped, like Shivaji is worshipped today. What Tipu did for Karnataka is what Shivaji has done for Maharashtra. He brought the country together, the whole of Maharashtra was splintered. This is exactly what Tipu did in Karnataka.

Q. Maharashtra has a Shivaji Jayanati, should Karnataka have a Tipu Jayanti? Or or are you against the idea of a Shivaji Jayanti?

A. Well I don't know if they should have a Shivaji Jayanti or they should not have a Shivaji Jayanti. It is upto them, as I said.

Q. A member of Parliament from Mysore, Pratap Sinha has also got death threats, allegedly from an Islamic group, on the Tipu Sultan issue. Is this now cutting both ways?

A. Yes, even that is wrong. Who justifies it? That's precisely what I'm saying. Pratap Sinha is a very intelligent journalist, he has a right to say what he wants. You should allow the discussion to go on.

Q. 20 years ago, if you would have spoken out in this manner on Tipu, do you think the reaction would be an exaggerated one?

A. It seems like that because of the preponderance of Twitter and Facebook. Hatred was there even 20 years ago and people were prejudiced, but they did not immediately put it on social media. And now also the preponderance of television, the channels are short of material and they will put in any kind of nonsense on air.

Q. You think there is a deliberate attempt being made to polarise the society? Instances like Tipu are only being used to create a divide between Hindus and Muslims?

A. Yes, indeed so. In fact you know that communal riots are being used in our country, not just in Karnataka, to win elections. Riots are being organised by people in power. I don't have to spell them out to you. People know if you organise a communal riot, the communities form two different camps and then you win an election. This is the strategy which is being used, and has been used in the last 20-30 years.

Q. Has this controversy made you a little more fearful about what you can or cannot say? What next for Girish Karnad?

A. Your representative was asking me why didn't you mention what you are going to do now. I will tell you what I'm going to do now: I'll take a some gin, some lime and tonic water, pour myself a long nice drink and relax.

Will you criticise Tipu Sultan, Muhammad Ghori, Muhammad Ghazni, Akbar, Jahangir, Humayun of the past? Or people of the present like Mohammad Bin Salman, Ayatollah, Bajwa, Erdogan, Imran Khan, Mahathir etc? Giving false analogy is your specialty.

What is your problem with Akbar and Mahathir ?

And Imran Khan had a plan to re-establish Pakistan as a welfare state but seems to have missed that plan. For that miss you should criticize him. Also perhaps for not reigning in the religious extremists and not pursuing peace will India.

For the rest who you mention I don't think any great about them. Erdogan especially has been prominent in assisting Western governments and terrorists in destroying a progressive country like Syria and for this of course I criticize him.

I meant that the people whom you quoted were abusive, not criticising. Abusing is when you call names or make up terms to give false analogies. Moreover, they were abusing communities in addition. So, naturally, there will be anger. I don't see why anyone should be allowed to live only to cause noise pollution

You are still not writing that those four victims said.

Last edited:
now watch how the same poster will be hated and the French condemned by the Indians who were laughing and justifying the Blasphemous pictures of Prophet Muhammad PBUH.

there is a little time for thought for Muslims. now instead of Laughing and praising the poster at the cost of Indians we must display a better behavior.

I know its a big ask, we condition our behavior based on how our foes conduct themselves and we copy them and we justify our acts.

on a side note:- there is a humbling moment for Indians. their 1 billion strong internet force cant shut out this version of French freedom of expression where their faith is targeted instead of Muslims.

Namaste sir.
In fact, we don't want to stop charlie habdo to stop any such cartoons. We don't have any problem with such cartoons unless they are outright abusive.

We have a tradition of question the gods. Arjun questioned Lord Krishna, Parvati Mata asked thousands of questions to Lord Shiva.

We have one famous story of a great writer call Harsha. He has written an all time great book Khandan khand khadya on the possibilities of creation of this universe. He was a great devotee of Lord Shiva. In those days big confrontation was happening between Boudha and Sanatan Hindus on establishing the superiority of their Dharma. Lots of debates used to happen to prove the superiority of their own Dharma. Harsha became the disciple of baudha and learn Buddha philosophy from them and subsequently challenged them for the debate and defeated all of them in debate. Once he went to the temple to do the Darshana of Lord Shiva. Shiva idol turned its face away from Harsha. Because he had betrayed his Buddha teachers,(as the shiva was hindu god. Any other god would have offered him heaven) from whom he had learned the philosophy of Buddhism. Harsha replied to Lord shiva and said that when this Buddhist monks try to show you a lesser God, nobody accept me comes to your rescue , so live your arrogance and give me the darshana.
We have this tradition. Our gods are not beyond questioning , nor they can not give us commands. They can only teach and guide us like Arjuna was guided by lord Krishna. Krishna taught Arjuna and left it to Arjun to decide whether to fight or not. They guide us and then leave us to decide the course of action.

Last edited:
Oh boy knew this thread would turn ugly. Let's be real anyone disrespecting our religion we will feel bad, but it's just that most of us here have a much higher level of tolerance towards such bashings.
Being believers of the only major polytheistic pantheon of Gods does attract lots of such work from various comedic channels who use our Gods in their sketches. A very high level of security/superiority fed about your own religion, basically how it has survived for thousands of years while the other polytheistic ones fell around it contributes to that felling that few peoples opinions don't matter on our religion as it is sanatan dharma (eternal religion) and meant to last forever.
Ha also there are people who still classify as hindus being atheist/agnostic (you can do that) so for them also this doesn't matter.

No one criticizes polytheism. Have your religious cake and eat it too, any way you want.

People though have different reactions to people taking cow-dung-baths, and banging pots/pans to ward off viruses.

THAT is seen only in India.

This is subhuman behavior - if you will pardon the expression.

Namaste sir.
In fact, we don't want to stop charlie habdo to stop any such cartoons. We don't have any problem with such cartoons unless they are outright abusive.

We have a tradition of question the gods. Arjun questioned Lord Krishna, Parvati Mata asked thousands of questions to Lord Shiva.

We have one famous story of a great writer call Harsha. He has written an all time great book Khandan khand khadya on the possibilities of creation of this universe. He was a great devotee of Lord Shiva. In those days big confrontation was happening between Boudha and Sanatan Hindus on establishing the superiority of their Dharma. Lots of debates used to happen to prove the superiority of their own Dharma. Harsha became the disciple of baudha and learn Buddha philosophy from them and subsequently challenged them for the debate and defeated all of them in debate. Once he went to the temple to do the Darshana of Lord Shiva. Shiva idol turned its face away from Harsha. Because he had betrayed his Buddha teachers,(as the shiva was hindu god. Any other god would have offered him heaven) from whom he had learned the philosophy of Buddhism. Harsha replied to Lord shiva and said that when this Buddhist monks try to show you a lesser God, nobody accept me comes to your rescue , so live your arrogance and give me the darshana.
We have this tradition. Our gods are not beyond questioning , nor they can not give us commands. They can only teach and guide us like Arjuna was guided by lord Krishna. Krishna taught Arjuna and left it to Arjun to decide whether to fight or not. They guide us and then leave us to decide the course of action.

Thank you for your explanation.

The issue is not criticism but ridicule. Neither Hebdo the enlightenment of Harsha nor exercise of liberty or free will as showcased by Arjun.

Muslims may not agree nor understand your religion but when it comes to fundamental rights of horizontal spectrum, they draw the same line for them as for you.

Back
Top Bottom