What's new

3 more OHP class Frigates to be delivered to Pakistan between 2014-2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey mate don't call me names, I debate with civility & respect other members irrespective of their cast, creed or nationalities, because it is my fundamental belief, that everybody deserves to be treated with respect, & I don't attack anyone personally , I am a Canadian & thus i have to maintain certain decorum & standards. I like Americans , so as an American & as a fellow north American, I expected better from you, rather then name calling , as for his opinion, then this is an international forum & one can comment about any projects, pipedreams, programs etc's , be it from the perspectives of its pros or cons for that matter

I can tell about the quality of one's post by evaluating their objectivity.

Congratulations for arriving in Canada.

I have spent last 40 years of my life in the US so I know little bit about your frame of mind.

I never solicited your opinion and do not care for what you think which by the way I can judge by your Avatar.

Stay away from me. Do not quote me or address me.

Thank you.

2 OHP will retire this year
actually one of them already did this month.

one of them will go to Turkish Navy, but about the other one i'm not too sure

Are you on Drugs ? I said the Air Defence system on F22-P sucks. You took that to mean that F22-P as a whole sucks.

And you call yourself a Think Tank Analyst ?

Incidentally, in your own words:

I sincerely hope Pakistan does not spend anymore money on the useless F22-P's and for 60 million more usd get 8 more Type 54-A Stealth Frigates ( we paid 175 million usd for each of those F22-P whereas the much more powerful Type 54-A is $230 million ). F22-P Air Defence System sucks. It uses FM-90 (HQ-7) Air Defence missile with a range of 15 KM and has no VLS. Type 54-A uses Stealth Technology and has 32 VLS using HQ-16 and much stronger Sensors.

3 more OHP class Frigates to be delivered to Pakistan between 2014-2016. | Page 14

I can tell about the quality of one's post by evaluating their objectivity.

Congratulations for arriving in Canada.

I have spent last 40 years of my life in the US so I know little bit about your frame of mind.

I never solicited your opinion and do not care for what you think which by the way I can judge by your Avatar.

Stay away from me. Do not quote me or address me.

Thank you.
Considering the above statement, why are you an a public forum in the first place?
If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

I said it before and that can be confirmed from knowledgeable Chinese members that Type 54A costs atleast $125m more than F-22P thus the notion "a little more" expensive is wrong. Every penny counts so Pakistan had to choose what was/is affordable.

PN traditionally always opt for giving MLUs to FFGs later on if I am not wrong @Penguin

I said it before and that can be confirmed from knowledgeable Chinese members that Type 54A costs atleast $125m more than F-22P thus the notion "a little more" expensive is wrong. Every penny counts so Pakistan had to choose what was/is affordable.

PN traditionally always opt for giving MLUs to FFGs later on if I am not wrong @Penguin

Well, PN workied on the US Gearings and on the UK Amazons, but not on the US Brooke/Garcia's (these were leased, not purchased). Not sure what happened with the pair of Leanders or the County from UK.

$175m+$125m > around $300m

'Wiki Type 054A' states ¥ 1.58 billion
at 1.00 CNY =
0.160377 USD
1.58 CNY =0.253396 USD
Suggests $253m
Type 054A frigate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is elsewere too e.g.
PLAN Type 054 FFG Thread II - Page 64

Someone else here suggested $230m
probably based on THE US$230 MILLION, 4000 TON TYPE 054A “JIANGKAI II” AREA AIR DEFENSE FRIGATE | Beegeagle's Blog

Personally, I like this estimate

POLICY BRIEF
STUDY OF INNOVATION AND TECHNOLOGY IN CHINA
2014-10 January 2014
The Type 054/054A Frigate Series: China’s All-Purpose Surface Combatant
Gabe COLLINS, Morgan CLEMENS, and Kristen GUNNESS

The Type 054A likely costs around US$280 million per vessel to build. This estimate derives from breaking the ship down by its main systems categories (hull and equipment, propulsion, weapons, and electronics) and calculating their respective costs, as well as the cost of the labor needed to assemble the ship into a finished product. Our preliminary estimate is that the Type 054A’s cost structure lies as follows:
• Electronics: US$83 million.
• Weapons: US$81 million.
• Hull and equipment: US$54.5 million.
• Labor: US$27 million.
• Propulsion: US$24 million.
• Miscellaneous costs: US$10 million.

The US$280 million unit cost esti-mate dovetails well with the price at which China offered Type 054 frigates to Thailand in early 2013. Thailand’s navy sought to spend US$1 billion on new frigates and China reportedly offered three Type 054s at that price.
China’s offer of ships at an effective price of US$333 million each suggests that with higher international-level profit margins built in, the actual delivered ship cost is likely between US$275 million and US$300 million per vessel.
http://www-igcc.ucsd.edu/assets/001/505322.pdf

China has offered Thailand its Type 054-class Jiangkai frigate to meet a requirement to procure multipurpose frigates for the Royal Thai Navy (RTN), thus potentially putting Beijing and Washington head to head in a large-scale international procurement programme.
Sources have confirmed to IHS Jane's that preliminary discussions between Thailand and China have commenced over the potential deal, in which China has said it is prepared to sell to the RTN three Type 054-class vessels at a cost that will meet the programme's budget of USD1 billion.
While the RTN is said to favour a purchase of a US, European, or South Korean platform, the potential deal to procure from China is being led by the government, which views the Type 054-class as a cost-effective alternative to Western vessels. Additionally, logistical arrangements would favour China given that Thailand already operates a number of Chinese naval platforms.
Lockheed Martin of the US has already confirmed that it is considering offering its Littoral Combat Ship (LCS) as a solution.
A deal to procure the Type 054-class vessel would include technology transfer to enable maintenance, repair, and overhaul
China offers Type 054 to meet Thai frigate requirement

Thailand to negotiate purchase of 3 Chinese Type 054A class frigates

Thailand is to negotiate a Chinese proposal of 3 Type 054A class frigates for the Royal Thai Navy, which has budgeted 30 billion Thai Baht or roughly $1 billion for 2 frigates.

The Thai government last year approved the purchase of 2 frigates after a previous attempt to purchase 6 used Type U-206 submarines from Germany was unsuccessful.

Instead of the 2 frigates budgeted, Thailand would receive 3 Type 054T frigates, build according to Thai specifications, and which could come with offsets for local component production and up to 6 Z-9C Anti-Submarine Warfare helicopters.

The Thai Navy already operates 4 Type 053 frigates, which were build by China for Thailand during the nineties and fitted with various western systems and weapons.

The Type 054A frigates are upgraded versions of the 2 earlier Type 054 frigates, which in the past have been reported to cost the Chinese Navy around $250 million each. So far, 16 Type 054A hulls have been either launched or commissioned with several more under contruction.
Defense Updates: Thailand to negotiate purchase of 3 Chinese Type 054A class frigates

If you look at the deal offered to Thailand, that $333m may on the one hand be 'friendship prices', (i.e. lower than actual ship) but on the other includes technology transfer to enable maintenance, repair, and overhaul (i.e. more than just the ships). Either way, $230m is probably too low an estimate and $250-255 probably relates to the cost of the Type 054 rather than 054A.

A modified F22P using systems from Type 054A could have a unit cost of approximately $200m.
www.asianmilitaryreview.com/naval-directory-2013

Last edited:
Not sure what happened with the pair of Leanders or the County from UK.

The County Class cruiser (PNS BABUR C-84) was decommissioned in 1993 and scrapped in 1995.
(I served on it)

Both the Leander class ships were decommissioned and used as missile targets during different exercises.

hey mate don't call me names, I debate with civility, & I respect other members irrespective of their cast, creed or nationalities, because it is my fundamental belief, that everybody deserves to be treated with respect, & I don't attack anyone personally , I am a Canadian & thus i have to maintain certain decorum & standards. I like Americans , so as an American & as a fellow north American, I expected better from you, rather then name calling , as for his opinion, then this is an international forum & one can comment about any projects, pipedreams, programs etc's , be it from the perspectives of its pros or cons for that matter

Its unfortunate that your input begat a patently obnoxious reaction. More so since you predicated your interjection on a corrective (and correct) point. However, that kind of behaviour comes naturally to some. Its of a pattern really; just as that diatribe against @Penguin was totally unwarranted and completely absurd.
But can all those who post here be educated enough?

The County Class cruiser (PNS BABUR C-84) was decommissioned in 1993 and scrapped in 1995.
(I served on it)

Both the Leander class ships were decommissioned and used as missile targets during different exercises.
What can you tell us from your experience about these ships being refitted/modernized/rearmed? It would be interesting to hear from someone who actually experienced these ships.

:enjoy:

What can you tell us from your experience about these ships being refitted/modernized/rearmed? It would be interesting to hear from someone who actually experienced these ships.

:enjoy:

PNS Babur was basically used as the Command training ship till it was decommissioned in 1993.
PN installed Harpoon Missile launchers, Vulcan Phalanx CIWS and APECS-II EW System
It was a huge ship with lots of accommodation for under-training officers.
It was also the first ship in PN which had the flight deck to handle the Seaking helicopter.
PNS%20BABUR.jpg

The Leander class ships were not modernized and were primarily used as training ships.

5130405285_95ee28ea76_z.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom