What's new

16-year-old girl set on fire as 'punishment' by Abbottabad jirga

Dear Sir/Madam,
I m sorry but I don't agree you with the bold parts , First this incident happened in KPK so that is a Jirga and when ever that type of incidents happened in Tribal (Societies) people or area that will also be call Jirga ,,, Punchayat system only exists in the areas where Biradari system have strong legs, and Biradari system is completely different from Tribal system.
For Example You will easily find Punchayats in cities ,you will find them if you saw a couple (husband and wife ) fighting , 5 to 6 alders from Biradaris of both sit-down and resolve the issue ,
Thank you.

Our Media use the word Jirga for even Punchayats recently that held and ordered such killings in Punjab. This pattern of exchanging word Punchayat with jirga is deliberate. Am not just talking about this incident.

This has nothing to do with Islam, its abuse by primitive centuries old jirga system using the sacred name of Islam. Centuries old tribal mentality and man dominated society .

that is where i was pointing to.

i meant that when these "elders" go about showing others how "good" muslims they are ( prayer in mosque, going on hajj etc ) they must be challenged when they go against what really differentiates islam from other beliefs... for example, they must be questioned on how they prescribe and participate in "honor" killings when such a thing is absent from true islam.

also, they must be told that their power structures ( panchayat and jirga ) go against democracy and must therefore be abolished.

for example, muammar gaddafi challenged the reactionary libyan mullahs ( affiliated withe the ikhwaan, i suppose ) on live tv in the 80's on their wrong understanding of the quran and he was easily able to defeat them, not only because he was a adept of the quran but he also was a fantastic speaker.

what this needs really is organization on part of the pakistani progressives... as long as the progressives don't dedicate time to improve their society these crimes will continue.

Not only this Jirga commited a crime but also falls under religious Blasphemy.

blasphemy i don't know but they certainly went against the teachings of true islam while calling themselves muslims... this would constitute munafiq behavior.

that is where i was pointing to.

i meant that when these "elders" go about showing others how "good" muslims they are ( prayer in mosque, going on hajj etc ) they must be challenged when they go against what really differentiates islam from other beliefs... for example, they must be questioned on how they prescribe and participate in "honor" killings when such a thing is absent from true islam.

also, they must be told that their power structures ( panchayat and jirga ) go against democracy and must therefore be abolished.

for example, muammar gaddafi challenged the reactionary libyan mullahs ( affiliated withe the ikhwaan, i suppose ) on live tv in the 80's on their wrong understanding of the quran and he was easily able to defeat them, not only because he was a adept of the quran but he also was a fantastic speaker.

what this needs really is organization on part of the pakistani progressives... as long as the progressives don't dedicate time to improve their society these crimes will continue.

blasphemy i don't know but they certainly went against the teachings of true islam while calling themselves muslims... this would constitute munafiq behavior.
Yes the did blasphemy by not following Islam and burning the girl where Allah clearly mentioned this punishment after judgment day and for those who refuse to accept truth. This is the most painful punishment and no humen being allowed to kill any animal / Humen by burning and Once real Molana told me that it is a big crime in Islam. (While in army my freind killed a snake but he still moving he wants to throw him in fire but Mufti Sahib saw this and educate us about this).

Unfortunately this isn't a one off. Its part of the old culture and traditions of the area. I am from that place and in college I remember one of my class fellows killed his two or three sisters,for having an affair with men. He is in the jail. But from what I remember he was a nice and funny guy,and his crime was very shocking and was a surprise.

most south asian males are weak-minded and cowardly... they will not have the courage to be revolutionaries but will use traditions to excuse away their bullying and acting against weaker sections of society.

Our Media use the word Jirga for even Punchayats recently that held and ordered such killings in Punjab. This pattern of exchanging word Punchayat with jirga is deliberate. Am not just talking about this incident.
I agree with you on this that our Media role is like one more criminal add to the crime , Let me clear some facts for readers here,
First of all ISLAM have nothing to do about this crime, If the Jirga uses ISLAM as Cover they deserve double Punishment one for crime and one for defaming and bringing bad name to ISLAM,
I am sorry to say but those crimes like "honour killing" "Karri" Satti" are in our Pakistan way before Islam , These are more likely cultural.
So my request is Please Keep Islam out of this , only discus culture at max or crime.
Thank you all

North west Pakistan as usual destroying Pakistan's image in the global media.

Seriously i have never heard of a jirga in abbotabad.I only heard about the jirgas in the tribal areas or in the backward interior sindh .Abbotabad is quite a modern city with lot of education centres and a military setup.

Seriously i have never heard of a jirga in abbotabad.I only heard about the jirgas in the tribal areas or in the backward interior sindh .Abbotabad is quite a modern city with lot of education centres and a military setup.
If its happening there where media is present and there is better law and order situation then think what the situation might be in those tribal areas and far flung areas of Kohistan and other poverty stricken provinces.

Inna lillahi wa Inna ilayhi Rajeeoon

Abbottabad police said a 15-member jirga called by the Makol village councillor Pervez ordered for the deceased, Amber, to be killed and set on fire as punishment for helping her friend escape the village to marry of her free will.
This kind of shit needs to stop! Not until SC gets its shit together people will turn to this kind of barbaric forms of stupidity!! Someone needs to send out a msg that your retarded "honour" doesnt shine when you kill women!

The Jirga or Psnchyat Is communal justice system and works well when people had no other options due to high legal costs or lack of understanding of judicial system.
Then people are justified to sit together and resolve petty disputes.
But most of the times they ancient tradition Is abused as they know that the types of decision they want can't be taken from a court as a court will never order to kill a girl because she married a boy out of her own choice. In these cases the jealous ex lover or منگیتر will call jirga and manipulate them into cruel decisions.
There was a very famous case back in 80s in Haripur near Abbottabad. I knew the details because I followed it all the way.
The girl was engaged to this macho He man but didn't like him and chose to have a fling with another boy of neighboring village. They both ran away and married.
The macho منگیتر called jirga and got death sentence for both but the boy was also from a large powerful family. in short one village attacked another and the ensuing battle caused over 40 young men killed in a few hours. All because one girl didn't want to marry the boy she was engaged to and the boy was overly jealous. The enmity between the two villages continues to this date.

How can the parents and relatives of the deceased allow this to happen?
WTF is happening to our society?

How can the parents and relatives of the deceased allow this to happen?
WTF is happening to our society?
This is what happens when either you think you are above the law
or somehow you stupid naak is linked to your daughter and her movements not your own!

Islam is only what its followers actually do, not what they claim.
This has nothing to do with Islam, its abuse by primitive centuries old jirga system using the sacred name of Islam. Centuries old tribal mentality and man dominated society .

They do not claim they are doing it in name of Islam they clearly say it is their custom

They do not claim they are doing it in name of Islam they clearly say it is their custom

All it does is expose Pakistan to further ridicule:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/pakistan-village-elders-burn-death-teen-girl-cops-n568531

"Deputy Inspector General of Police Saeed Khan Wazir said the victim's mother and 15 members of a village jirga — a group that resolves local disputes based on its interpretation of Islam — were arrested on Wednesday over the crime."

Back
Top Bottom