What's new

15 Jordanian F-16 for sale

@Windjammer @Oscar @Manticore It is just a thought, and being a student here I hope you can clear this thing to me...!
we often take pride in it that PAF is highly skilled and Professional AF....But does that make them professional when they buy Aircraft's that are actually been phased out by some other country?? isnt this make them quality wise low AF?
I

Look at the flying hours completed
just wondering, is that a lot of hours for an aircraft? or moderate?

an mlu would bring new life into them most likely they will be sent to turkey and brought up to the same standard as the current pakistani f16 mlu's
also the pw engines confirm pakistan is in front to buy them as they use them

Last edited:
@Windjammer @Oscar @Manticore It is just a thought, and being a student here I hope you can clear this thing to me...!
we often take pride in it that PAF is highly skilled and Professional AF....But does that make them professional when they buy Aircraft's that are actually been phased out by some other country?? isnt this make them quality wise low AF?
I
Not exactly. Aircraft like any machine have a shelf life that you can still use to their maximum performance level, these F-16s are no different.. The Jordanians arent phasing these aircraft out as much as they are resizing their air force.

As per document, these are specs of these F-16s

1. 14 As, 1 B model
2. Manufactured 1980-1982
3. MLUed and upgraded to Falcon up and Falcon star standards
4. Flight hours average around 6000 hrs (roughly between 4600-6250 hrs)

After structural inspection and upgrades (which will vary aircraft to aircraft), I think we can squeeze average 2500-3000 hrs more from them at max. That is equal to around 12-15 years of service. Roughly one squadron can be equipped with these jets that would serve for 12-15 years time. Price for the jets should be fraction of new ones and associated costs (infrastructure, training, munitions) would be minimal. If PAF buys them, would give much needed boost for interim period especially after further upgrades. This can give some breathing space to PAF till current programs and future acquisitions start to fill up gaps in our defence. Not to mention, Jordan is a reliable partner and I don't see US objecting to these sales.

I know who will be the customer :partay:....so my question is why is Jordan selling these? are they upgrading to some new platfrom?
I know Egypt is buying Rafaels.

Last edited:
Not exactly. Aircraft like any machine have a shelf life that you can still use to their maximum performance level, these F-16s are no different.. The Jordanians arent phasing these aircraft out as much as they are resizing their air force.
One other thing please...After MLU...On a scale of 1-10 , how would you rate these aircraft's as compared to Block52?

The customer will be Pakistan as a recent statement by FO suggested we will buy jets from Jordan.

Why on earth...
PAF has been operating these F-16 since the 1980s.

PAF policy makers are just thinking one dimensional
PAF is the depiction of Pakistani society, the way every paindoo in Pakistan says"XLI sarion naloon fit gadi aye" So for PAF "F16 is the best fighter jet ever created and will remain so till the end of time"

Why on earth...
PAF has been operating these F-16 since the 1980s.
We need diversity in our airpower like having Su35's to assist also in Naval patrols or Euro fighters.
It was exactly the right time to move into newer jets deadlines for 5th generation 2023 We could've used Euro fighters or su35's effectively till then.
PAF policy makers are just thinking one dimensional
Thankfully, PAF policy makers are smarter than the average PDF member. They're not going to buy something just because some guy on a forum will call them names. They have access to data that we do not, so it is foolish to suggest that they're making a mistaken, when they have the entire picture and we do not.

Besides, PAF officials have already made it clear that they're looking into a next generation fighter program; these F-16s would be fine as a stop gap measure, until a new fighter system is bought.

It is important to keep in mind that though PAF needs to replace 190 aircrafts by 2020, it does not need to replace them with another 190 aircrafts. The newer aircrafts can be less in number, as long as they're fully capable of covering for the lost capabilities.

Block 15...........junk in few years, waste of money.
I
One needs to understand the reasons behing this buy. We are in a bind due to multiple reasons.
Firstly finances which contrary to the general perceptions are unlikely to improve in the next 5 yrs at least if that. With the upcoming recession which could turn out to be the worst ever one needs to be careful with money.
The notion of this or that being junk needs to be qualified. With the notification is a word document which tells us that most air frames have 2500--3000 hrs worth of life on them. At roughly 200hrs of flight time annually that will give you10-15yrs on these airframes.
The cost is likely to be 5-7 million dollars per unit which by any standards is quite manageable. It wl also allow you to upgrade the plane the soct of which will still remain bearable and its life can be extended. In that manner the US stuff is quite robust.
You are best suited for a fleet of bl.15s for which you have infrastructure and capability to maintain a fleet of 100plus planes. Therefore from this aspect also it seems a reasonable buy.
The last thing which all of you are forgetting is that we are a the cusp of generation change in fighter planes. It is liekly that most of your adversaries will be firelding 4.5++ or 5th generation fighters in 10 years time. As such with a resource crunch, a need to replace 190 fighters and an obsolete fleet we neither have the resources or even the right platform to take care of our needs for the next 3
20-30 yrs.
As such I dont think it is the right approach to be spennding 3-5 billion on a fighter which could well loose relevance in your war theatre in a decade and a half. So from that aspect also it seems a good buy.
A 350 fighter fleet with 100 F 16s plus 250 JFTs will give you a decent fleet good enough for you to await the arrival of the next generation of fighter planes.
If you look at things from this perspective it makes sense of PAFs logic of not going for the 8 bl. 52s without the support from the US CSF. It was too little for too much.
Now under these cìrcumstances do you still see this buy as junk and useless? Please remember you can only spend that which you have. I would love to have a Mercedes but if my finakces only allow a Toyota that is what I will buy.
Regards
A
PS:- At the last sale it was mentioned that the Jordanian fleet is maintained by PAF/ Ex PAF staff. This could be an added benefit as we will know these planes inside out.
A

Last edited:
1. Jordon is getting new a/c from Belgian
2. These a.c av about 2000 hours life left at in (10/20 years depending on hours flown per year)
3 compared to f7 with total life of 2400 hours and capability, these a/c bring more capability than remaining f7 2 sqdn and 3 f7pgs sqdn
4. also bring spare parts for future

One needs to understand the reasons behing this buy. We are in a bind due to multiple reasons.
Firstly finances which contrary to the general perceptions are unlikely to improve in the next 5 yrs at least if that. With the upcoming recession which could turn out to be the worst ever one needs to be careful with money.
The notion of this or that being junk needs to be qualified. With the notification is a word document which tells us that most air frames have 2500--3000 hrs worth of life on them. At roughly 200hrs of flight time annually that will give you10-15yrs on these airframes.
The cost is likely to be 5-7 million dollars per unit which by any standards is quite manageable. It wl also allow you to upgrade the plane the soct of which will still remain bearable and its life can be extended. In that manner the US stuff is quite robust.
You are best suited for a fleet of bl.15s for which you have infrastructure and capability to maintain a fleet of 100plus planes. Therefore from this aspect also it seems a reasonable buy.
The last thing which all of you are forgetting is that we are a the cusp of generation change in fighter planes. It is liekly that most of your adversaries will be firelding 4.5++ or 5th generation fighters in 10 years time. As such with a resource crunch, a need to replace 190 fighters and an obsolete fleet we neither have the resources or even the right platform to take care of our needs for the next 3
20-30 yrs.
As such I dont think it is the right approach to be spennding 3-5 billion on a fighter which could well loose relevance in your war theatre in a decade and a half. So from that aspect also it seems a good buy.
A 350 fighter fleet with 100 F 16s plus 250 JFTs will give you a decent fleet good enough for you to await the arrival of the next generation of fighter planes.
If you look at things from this perspective it makes sense of PAFs logic of not going for the 8 bl. 52s without the support from the US CSF. It was too little for too much.
Now under these cìrcumstances do you still see this buy as junk and useless? Please remember you can only spend that which you have. I would love to have a Mercedes but if my finakces only allow a Toyota that is what I will buy.
Regards
A
Agreed , still old frames and has limit of upgrades. These plane still has juice left, but do these planes are capable to counter neighboring AF.

Back
Top Bottom