What's new

14 dead in shooting at San Bernardino, Calif., center for disabled; 3 suspects on loose

ArsalanKhan21

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
14 dead in shooting at San Bernardino, Calif., center for disabled; 3 suspects on loose | Fox News

14 dead in shooting at San Bernardino, Calif., center for disabled; 3 suspects on loose
Published December 02, 2015
FoxNews.com

DEVELOPING: Fourteen people are believed dead and more than a dozen injured Wednesday after three gunmen "on a mission" burst into a San Bernardino, Calif., social services facility where employees were hosting a holiday party, and police were hunting three suspects who appear to have escaped.

The men, who witnesses said were wearing body armor and masks, entered the Inland Regional Center just after 11 a.m. with grim precision, according to San Bernardino Police Chief Jarrod Burguan. Once inside, they opened fire with rifles, shooting people in a conference room where a holiday party was taking place, authorities said. Hundred of people were seen streaming out of the building moments later, some described by witnesses as holding their hands above their heads and even diving for cover behind cars in a parking lot.

"Up to three people entered the building and opened fire on people inside the building," Burguan said at a news conference some three hours after the first call went out. "The suspects have fled, potentially in a dark-colored SUV.

"They came prepared to do what they did as if on a mission," he added.

"They came prepared to do what they did as if on a mission."

- San Bernardino Police Chief Jarrod Burguan

Burguan said police do not know the identities or motive of the shooters, who he said numbered "upwards of three." He said preliminary information showed 14 people were killed, and a similar number were injured. He said he could not rule out the possibility that there were more dead or injured inside the building.

The FBI and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms were responding to the scene, some 60 miles east of Los Angeles. An FBI spokesman said it was not clear whether the incident was terror related. No weapons were recovered.

.@SanBernardinoPD has confirmed 1to3 possible suspects.Multiple victims. #SBCSD &other agencies assisting. More info to come. #SanBernardino

The FBI and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms responded to the scene, some 60 miles east of Los Angeles.

The Inland Regional Center is one of 21 facilities serving people with developmental disabilities run by the state, said Nancy Lungren, spokeswoman for the California Department of Developmental Services. The social services agency administers, authorizes and pays for assistance to people with disabilities such as autism and mental retardation. On an average day, doctors at the regional centers would be evaluating toddlers whose parents have concerns and case workers meeting with developmentally disabled adults.

The San Bernardino facility consists of three buildings, and employs approximately 600 workers. Inland Regional Center Executive Director Lavinia Johnson told Reuters the shooting happened at a conference center her group rented out for a county personnel holiday department.

Related Image
Expand / Contract

Glenn Willwerth, who was near enough to the scene to hear shots being fired, told Fox News he saw a black SUV leaving afterward, driving slowly and deliberately. He said he saw people frantically pouring out of the building, some ducking behind cars. Another witness, Jim Estrada, told Fox News he saw 40 or 50 people stream out of the building with their hands up as emergency responders flooded the scene.

Authorities ordered news choppers to clear the area as they hunted the SUV and continued efforts to clear the complex. They were going door-to-door in the area, locking down buildings, as more than 70 area schools were reportedly on lockdown and mass transit was stopped.

Police were using a robot to search the building for possible explosives, even as they sought the gunmen. The Los Angeles Times reported that a device found inside was detonated, but it was not clear if it was a bomb. Police arrived within minutes, but there was no sign of the assailants.

Related Image
Expand / Contract

Witnesses described passing bodies on the ground as they fled, but it was not clear if, or how many, people were killed. A makeshift triage center was set up outside the facility. A local NBC videographer reported there were not enough ambulances to transport victims, and that people were using pickup trucks to carry victims to triage areas.

The event set off alarms across the country, including in New York City, where security was already beefed up for the annual Christmas tree-lighting ceremony Wednesday evening.

"We are aware of and are monitoring the situation in San Bernardino, Calif.," and NYPD spokesman said.

President Obama was briefed on the situation by his Homeland Security Advisor Lisa Monaco and asked to be updated on the situation as it develops.

The shooting came less than a week after a gunman killed three people and wounded nine in a shooting rampage at a Planned Parenthood clinic in Colorado Springs.

Attack at a disabled learning facility in San Bernadino. Suspects have been described as 3 white males but there are rumors that the attackers were Muslim which I hope is not true.

Obama calls for gun reforms in wake of San Bernardino shooting - CNNPolitics.com

Obama calls for gun reforms in wake of San Bernardino shooting

By Jeremy Diamond, CNN

Updated 5:06 PM ET, Wed December 2, 2015

151202165547-san-bernardino-shooting-obama-00010004-exlarge-169.jpg

President Obama reacts to San Bernardino shooting 01:43
Story highlights
  • Obama called for "common sense gun safety laws" in the wake of the shooting
  • "We should never think that this is just something that just happens," Obama said
Washington (CNN)President Barack Obama reiterated his call for more gun control reforms to make mass shootings in the U.S. "rare as opposed to normal" in the wake of a mass shooting in San Bernardino, California.

Speaking to CBS News moments after news broke of the shooting, Obama called for "common sense gun safety laws" and urged lawmakers to pass a law to prevent individuals on the "No Fly List" who are barred from boarding commercial flights from legally purchasing firearms.

The shooting occurred at the Inland Regional Center, a facility for people with developmental disabilities in San Bernardino, California.

"We don't yet know what the motives of the shooters are but what we do know is that there are steps we can take to make Americans safer," Obama said in the interview. "We should never think that this is just something that just happens in the ordinary course of events because it doesn't happen with the same frequency in other countries."

Obama said the pattern of U.S. mass shootings "has no parallel anywhere else in the world."

Emergency personnel responded late Wednesday morning to reports of a shooting that killed or injured as more than 20 people, according to law enforcement.

Law enforcement officials are now on the lookout for as many as three suspects believed to be armed with AK-47-type weapons who reportedly fled the scene of the shooting in a black SUV.

It is unclear as of now who the suspects are and what the motives were behind the shooting.

151202165015-08-san-bernardino-shooting-1202-medium-plus-169.jpg

17 photos: San Bernardino shooting
Obama had been briefed on the shooting by his homeland security adviser Lisa Monaco moments before speaking with CBS News for a prescheduled interview.

Obama has spoken forcefully about the need for additional gun control laws to reduce the number of mass shootings in the country in the wake of past incidents in the country.

Speaking to reporters in Paris just a day earlier, Obama touched on the news of a shooting at a Planned Parenthood clinic on Friday in which a lone gunman killed three people.

"I mean, I say this every time we go one of these mass shootings, this just doesn't happen in other countries," Obama said Tuesday.

All suspects in custody, dead or alive.

Looks like the party was held by people who were not actual employees of the center. May have been a rented venue situation.

All suspects in custody, dead or alive.

Guns and gun lobby are America's version of the extreme religious lunatics in Pkistan. Both hold such sway in both societies that tells us that even in this day and age how cursed thinking can take root and be accepted by supposedly civilized societies. Both will not listen to reason.

I happened to mention getting rid of guns in another forum ( mostly American ) and the reaction was amazing. It was like saying secularism is good in Pakistan. Frankly I was surprised how intelligent and well informed people can support this evil gun sales. I know they go livid if you say anything against guns.

I suppose we are going to get the familar Barak speach followed by "We need more guns" and the killing cycle will continue. The fact is guns are bad. If I had access to guns since I turned 18 I reckon by now I would have shot at least dozen people. The fact is when people get angry if you have a gun you could end up killing. Whereas no gun, few punches and lots of shouting and it's all forgotten next day.

Guns and gun lobby are America's version of the extreme religious lunatics in Pkistan. Both hold such sway in both societies that tells us that even in this day and age how cursed thinking can take root and be accepted by supposedly civilized societies. Both will not listen to reason.

I happened to mention getting rid of guns in another forum ( mostly American ) and the reaction was amazing. It was like saying secularism is good in Pakistan. Frankly I was surprised how intelligent and well informed people can support this evil gun sales. I know they go livid if you say anything against guns.

I suppose we are going to get the familar Barak speach followed by "We need more guns" and the killing cycle will continue. The fact is guns are bad. If I had access to guns since I turned 18 I reckon by now I would have shot at least dozen people. The fact is when people get angry if you have a gun you could end up killing. Whereas no gun, few punches and lots of shouting and it's all forgotten next day.

Let's wait until the suspects have been identified, Sir.

Let's wait

My comment was general reflection on gun lobby and guns in USA rather then this specific incident. Of course this might be terrorism related but that does not detract from what I said. America is a great country in some ways but by god on the subject of guns it stumbles badly.

The other is is how America looks after it's weak and poor which is not very inspiring. However I acknowledge USA brings so much to the world. Most of all how it's multi-cultural composition set's a example for the world.

My comment was general reflection on gun lobby and guns in USA rather then this specific incident. Of course this might be terrorism related but that does not detract from what I said. America is a great country in some ways but by god on the subject of guns it stumbles badly.

The other is is how America looks after it's weak and poor which is not very inspiring. However I acknowledge USA brings so much to the world. Most of all how it's multi-cultural composition set's a example for the world.
gun control debate can only be have if the suspects are white and "deranged". if it's ISIS (very unlikely) or domestic homegrown terrorism (muslim) than the debate and the response will be quiet different. But one thing though, dont talk about taking the guns away from americans. And here people thought Pakhtoons were rigid and stubborn folk.

So, until we find out, fingers crossed and "whodunnit" attitude.

Islamist , Radicals , Muslims Terrorist ? or Lone wolf , psycho path ?

Islamist , Radicals , Muslims Terrorist ? or Lone wolf , psycho path ?

If this is Muslims then this is retarded, we American Muslims usually don't have this issue. It isn't a suicidal lone depressed person it's apparently three individuals. I hope they aren't those black 'panther' folks who are only ones willing to do something dumb like this.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom