What's new

12 Desi Food Places in Karachi You Must Try

its ok not great according to my opinon , i like sabri at burns road and zahid at saddar better

Little correction: Zahid at Tariq Road

dera at boat basin was,nt upto par . the parathas and tea at doodh pati is way better and halwa puri at bahadurabad is excellent

Halwa Puri at the shop adjacent to Tooso right? Excellent Halwa Puri.

where is alamgir parathaand cafe piyala???? need adresss

also been to anwar baloch had mutton and chicken , was,nt exceptional , dont know what the fuss was about , anyhow friends swear by it and have persuaded me to give it a second try, would someone tell me what is their speciality , the cream pf the crop , i mean what to order?//
i like shaheen shinwari karahi next to millenium mall north nazimabad, absolutely love mutton peshawari

If you are into Mutton Karhai than you must try it at BBQ Tonight and Khanji.

If you also like Chicken Karhai than you must try Dua Restaurant (The roundabout after Bilawal Chowrangi if you are heading towards the sea side). Their DESI Chicken Karhai is an absolute delight.

Little correction: Zahid at Tariq Road

Halwa Puri at the shop adjacent to Tooso right? Excellent Halwa Puri.

If you are into Mutton Karhai than you must try it at BBQ Tonight and Khanji.

If you also like Chicken Karhai than you must try Dua Restaurant (The roundabout after Bilawal Chowrangi if you are heading towards the sea side). Their DESI Chicken Karhai is an absolute delight.
thanks for the info and directions
also zahid has its original shop in sadar , same taste as in tariq road

You have not mentioned Yousuf ki Bun Botti from Nazimabad Master Bakery, Bungali Hunter Beef Burger near Agah Juice, Bihari Kubab in front of Agha Juice, Karamat Bhai kay Cholay at Nazimabad, Enquiry Office ki Kuchoori, Mullah Ahmad Halwai is Neighbour Poori, Gullu Butt kay Parathay :taz::taz::bounce::fans::jester::nana:
thanks for info , by the way have you tried cholay outside national bank main office ii chundigar road, he sells on the backside of suzuki but its awsome , finishes in 2 to 3 hrs

Yum ! Looks Awesome. :)

Can somebody tell me why Pakistanis use lots of oli in cooking?

Off topic but are you really a mughal ?

I am the direct descendant of Bahadur Shah Zafar as my grand father called me Prince.
In 1857 our family fled to Kashmir (the area in Indian Occupation now) to save their lives as English were at our lives but few got lucky as reached Kashmir, Calcutta and Hyderabad under Nizam.
We had a vast land there under Dogra rule and we live their peaceful and prosper till late 19th century then my great grandfather came to Delhi and settled in Kucha Rehman.Later my grandfather from both sides migrated to Pakistan. Till 1998 my grandfather receives letters from Kashmir that "We have your Estate with us as guardians. We wish you to come back". He used to say we will go back but now he is no more.
Thats a long story short I am the Prince of south asia United India :agree:.

Oh shit.....:tup: :) Karachiites love to enjoy food. Don't know why we are so under rated compared to Lahoris? :undecided:

Because of the quantity consumption ... you know how they determine about their food consumption in Lahore its like they say "I eat for an hour" Oh you eat an hour "I eat for an hour and 20 min" :woot::welcome:

Last edited:
Because of the quantity consumption ... you know how they determine about their food consumption in Lahore its like they say "I eat for an hour" Oh you eat an hour "I eat for an hour and 20 min" :woot::welcome:

Hell no......:angry:.....;):P :tup:

Lahori's are Over rated ... Lahore Lahore hai , Lakin utna tu sirf Karachi mai Johar hai :D

Absolutely....:agree: :tup:

Well next time you see Iran play any Asian team in soccer and you will see how tall their players are all header goals , a large majority and I noticed this fairly in most sports

a) Wrestling
b) Weight lifting
c) Football / Soccer etc

The type of diet impacts your diet during your youth ages

After some close investigation it was evident they have very good intake of meat products helps with muscle and height development

Protein = Muscle

Boy I have Personally met many Iranians. Certainly they have strong built but no where near 6 feet average as you mentioned.

I see that we have someone from nazimabad here! :-)
As an ex-resident of Nazimabad block 2 i have to sadly inform you that Mr. Karamat (of karamat kay cholay) passed away some time back. Heard that he passed away due to a fire-related accident. His son then took over the family business, but his chaat just wasnt the same.

The kuchori wallah of inquiry bus stop has also ceased operations. The rest are still there.

I believe you may be talking about the one who used to stand near Govt School which near Multi Chowk but I am not talking about him I am talking about the one who use to stand near Crescent Star School. Th Kuchori wala at Enquiry office is dead long ago and his son took over the work and he is running the business and I had their couple of times last year.

If you have never been at Ghaffar Kabab House and never had their Nihari then believe you me you had never tasted the best nihari in Karachi. Yes Javed is V.V.Good but Ghaffar Nihari beats any one any time hands down.

@ghazi52 Aap intehaye koi zalim aadmi hain ... Every single plate shown here is increasing my appetite and making me more hungry :taz:
Brother where is Ghaffar Nihari? I have not been to Karachi for some time now. Before Javed became popular, Sabri Nihari and Burns road Nihari used to be the best. I had good nihari at chotta medan but forgot the name of the place. It was a small restaurant and mostly Rickshaw drivers used to eat there. And nullee nihari was so goooooood.

Brother where is Ghaffar Nihari? I have not been to Karachi for some time now. Before Javed became popular, Sabri Nihari and Burns road Nihari used to be the best. I had good nihari at chotta medan but forgot the name of the place. It was a small restaurant and mostly Rickshaw drivers used to eat there. And nullee nihari was so goooooood.

Ghaffar Nihari is a delicacy of Ghaffar Kabbab house at Delhi Mercantile society, 4th street, PECHS, Karachi.
I must say if you ever got a chance never ever miss other dishes there as well specially Golla Kubab Mali boti and whatever you order is a treat to eat. You will never regret anything you order there. In fish I suggest you only take Surmai fish or else they serve Pingasus which is somewhat tasteless fish.
One more place which is improved way beyond my expectations is Mehran Sajji at Hassan square. Most of their BBQ dishes and Handi are awesome and yes Lahori fish is something I want to eat again and again.
In authentic seafood I suggest you check with Beach Luxury hotel IT IS AWESOME.

Super highway restaurants.......................

39249674.jpg

Al-Sajjad Restaurant, Highway. Karachi

Highway Grill Restaurant

103068026.jpg

110060400.jpg

You have not mentioned Yousuf ki Bun Botti from Nazimabad Master Bakery, Bungali Hunter Beef Burger near Agah Juice, Bihari Kubab in front of Agha Juice, Karamat Bhai kay Cholay at Nazimabad, Enquiry Office ki Kuchoori, Mullah Ahmad Halwai is Neighbour Poori, Gullu Butt kay Parathay :taz::taz::bounce::fans::jester::nana:

Also special shout out to Hydrebad bakery house chocolate cake

The ultimate guide to: The best desi food in Karachi
SALIMA FEERASTA
544e1076314f6.jpg

The best desi food in Karachi? The choice is endless.

We have some of the best barbecue in the world – sizzling, spicy and tender. Your taste buds are in for a treat whether you choose seekh kebabs, malai boti, bihari kebab, kheeri or chicken tikka. Perfect with fresh parathas or piping hot naan straight from the tandoor.

Moving away from BBQ, is there anything like a perfectly balanced karahi or biryani? Or you can go for fiery, glutinous nihari generously sprinkled with ginger, coriander and chillies.

Finish up with halwa puri, shahi tukra or kulfi falooda and you have a meal fit for a raja.

Waheed Kebab House

544de9ab012df.jpg

Waheed Kebab House off Burns Road.– Photo credits: Iman Mufti

Situated off Burns Road (otherwise known as Karachi’s food street), Waheed Kebab House is famous for its ‘Fry Kebab’. These are sautéed in butter not ghee, look like a plate of runny mince and have a mind-blowing taste.

544df15490e81.jpg

Waheed Kebab House serves an array of BBQ items.– Photo credits: Iman Mufti

Their dhaga kebab is another firm favourite and their nihari is rated by many. They also serve a wide range of BBQ items including kheeri, beef botiand chicken tikka as well as korma and daal.

Zameer Ansari

544dd5a4d5b5a.jpg

Ocean Grill by Zameer Ansari at Ocean Mall. – Photo credits: Iman Mufti

Zameer Ansari now has a posh branch at Ocean Mall but the original is located in the Delhi Mercantile Society, Bahadurabad near Alamgir Masjid.

Their BBQ is some of the best in town. Must-try items include their dhaga kebab, reshmi kebab and chicken malai boti. Add a little chutney and a freshly fried puri paratha for a memorable meal – even if you do end up eating in the car because seating can be an issue.

544dd5a2ba490.jpg

Kulfi at Zameer Ansari. – Photo credits: Iman Mufti

Sheikh Abdul Ghaffar Kebab House

544dd5adafa2f.jpg

The original Sheikh Abdul Ghaffar Kebab House off Tariq Road. – Photo by author

Although they have an upmarket branch at Port Grand, the original Sheikh Abdul Ghaffar Kebab House is located in a side lane off Tariq Road not too far from Naheed Supermarket. It’s a multi-story restaurant right next to Riyaz Masjid and has a family hall as well as a rather nice rooftop for family groups.

Their behari chicken and gola kebabs are stupendous and their dhaga kebaband malai boti rival those at Zameer Ansari. They also serve bun kebabs andparatha rolls for those wanting a street food fix.

544e0e0bca254.jpg

Chicken tikka being grilled at Abdul Ghaffar Kebab House. – Photo credits: Iman Mufti

Their desi sweets are also pretty awesome and their sujji ka halwa is divine.

Back
Top Bottom