What's new

12 Desi Food Places in Karachi You Must Try

Zahid Nihari

544dd5b1ad2fe.jpg

Fiery nihari available at Zahid Nihari. – Photo credits: Iman Mufti

Nihari is something that Karachites are passionate about. That fiery, sticky sauce, the melt-in-your-mouth meat and the fresh garnish of ginger and coriander give a spicy hit like no other.

544dd5af63e52.jpg

Zahid Nihari on Tariq Road. – Photo credits: Iman Mufti

While Javed Nihari in the Federal B Area and Sabri Nihari on MA Jinnah Road have many fans, Zahid Nihari on Tariq Road serves possibly the bestnihari in Karachi.

Succulent and more-ish, the nihari is the star of the menu, although they also offer biryani and qeema. You can choose nihari with added bone marrow or brain and they even sell tin-packed nihari, which is popular with overseas Pakistanis.

Meerut

544dd59dccdbd.jpg

BBQ at Meerut. – Photo credits: Iman Mufti.

The original Meerut Kebab house is at Gurumandir though there are several locations now ranging from North Nazimabad to DHA Phase IV.

The seating at the original is basic but plentiful.

Their kheer is amazing, but tends to run out so go early if you want to sample it. They also serve great behari kebab, seekh kebabs, malai boti andkebab paratha. Well worth a trip.

544dd5ad0c295.jpg

Puri being made at Meerut. – Photo credits: Iman Mufti.

BBQ Tonight

544de9a9306fb.jpg

– Photo courtesy: BBQ Tonight's official website.

Located at Bilawal Chowrangi, BBQ Tonight is a Karachi institution. With four floors of seating plus rooftop seating, it’s absolutely massive but retains the same quality of food and speedy service that made it famous.

544de9a7b69b3.jpg

– Photo courtesy: BBQ Tonight's official website.

It's very clean, with waiters in white cotton gloves, and is one of the few places where you can trust the chutneys if you have a sensitive stomach.

Their mutton chops, seekh kebab, behari kebab and beef ribs are excellent. They also serve delicious prawn masala and Afghani boti.

Kolachi

544dd59fee5ad.jpg

Kolachi's serene seafront setting. – Photo by author.
Kolachi rivals any of Karachi’s top restaurants, both in terms of atmosphere and quality of food.

Located at Do Darya, Kolachi’s terraced seafront setting is simply beautiful. The menu includes a wide range of barbeque and other Pakistani dishes. Their fried fish, Sajji, Handi chicken, Hunza Kebab and Peshawari karahi are all particularly delicious.

5393bb3a6108b.jpg

Most of these restaurants serve traditional desserts, including halwa, kheer and kulfi. However, if you are looking for an iced treat to end your meal you may want to venture farther afield.

dryfruit_kulfi.jpg

Try gola ganda from one of the many vendors at Dhorajee, or a crunch kulfi from Iceberg in Saddar. Alternatively, head to the original Peshawari ice cream in Saddar – their Anwar Rattol, Shareefa and Pistachio ice creams are unrivalled.

maxresdefault.jpg

If you live in Defence or Clifton and don’t want to venture too far afield, you can head to Boat Basin. They have very good bethak-style tandoori places and restaurants selling all kinds of authentic, delicious Pakistani food.

Try Roll Inn for paratha rolls, Flamingo for chaat and Tandoori for karahi.

Nihari Inn’s nihari and kunna are very good and there are several places that sell great bun kebabs and halwa puri.

There’s even a branch of Hanifia, with its famous hunter beef buns.

These are some of Karachi’s most famous desi restaurants, but there aremany little restaurants all over town serving amazing local food.

Everyone has their own favourites – from Anwar Baloch’s karahi to the kali mirch karahi at Afridi Inn to the epic malai boti at Delhi Kebabish.

Which are your go-to restaurants for the best Pakistani food in Karachi?

@risingsinga I remember u once said u will visit Pakistan in december...Do share the pics of your travel if possible (u can hide your face if you want to) only pics of your visits will be suitable enough....if you want :-) :tup:

Its been long time, no see ....How you're doing? Studying ? If I may ask?
Yes i have been very busy in the project...and I spent some time in Australia with my relatives and then I came back ...I had some personal issues but now I am getting out of them them slowly but I used to visit pdf but for very brief periods..I missed you friends... And now I'm kind of lost since I have no idea about the developments so a lot of catching up needs to be done. But thanks for remembering me, I really appreciate that.

Yes i have been very busy in the project...and I spent some time in Australia with my relatives and then I came back ...I had some personal issues but now I am getting out of them them slowly but I used to visit pdf but for very brief periods..I missed you friends... And now I'm kind of lost since I have no idea about the developments so a lot of catching up needs to be done. But thanks for remembering me, I really appreciate that.

No problem, buddy...:) ;) All the best/good luck to your ambitions :tup:

ANWAR BALOCH RESTAURANT

Anwar-Baloch-Karahi.jpg

A true foodie knows the ultimate spots for having karahi, the one Pakistani dish we can never refuse. Anwar Baloch Restaurant and Fast Food can satisfy your hunger pangs with their scrumptious karahi. Disilva ki karahi is also quite popular among Karachiites.
went to anwar baloch yesterday just to give it a spin the second time , the first time was awful and lo and behold second time wasnt any better , went for shahi chicken karahi and the friend i took along is still taunting me, the karahi was like ghar ka khana not a karahi , did,t try the brown karahi as that might be the magic elexir
on arrival at anwar baloch there was no great rush as you would expect at a great restaurant on weekends wheras if you go to shaheen shinwari you would be lucky to be seated after atlest half an hour

I am from Karachi and I can rate restaurants (my own opinion of course):

1 - Javaid Nihari - I don't think any other nihari comes close to it. There was a time when Zahid and Sabri used to be good, but now their quality has seriously deteriorated.

2 - Burns Road's Fry Kebab

3 - Meerath Kebab House - All BBQ items are top notch.

3 - (Sharing third place) Abdul Ghaffar's Bar B Q - All the BBQ items

4 - Food Center's Biryani - I haven't eaten any biryani more tastier than this one anywhere in my life.

5 - Mazedar Haleem

6 - Dhora ji's Gola Ganda

7 - Anwar Baloch - Karhai

8 - Salateen at highway - Karhai

9 - Cafe Piyala - Best tea in town. There was another tea cafe at NIPA. But MQM goons threatened him to close it and the pathan sold that place.

10 - Donisl - Nazimabad - Karhai,Katakut, BBQ tasty food.

The above restaurants can be afforded by middle class but can beat the taste of any expensive restaurant in Karachi.

I am from Karachi and I can rate restaurants (my own opinion of course):

1 - Javaid Nihari - I don't think any other nihari comes close to it. There was a time when Zahid and Sabri used to be good, but now their quality has seriously deteriorated.

2 - Burns Road's Fry Kebab

3 - Meerath Kebab House - All BBQ items are top notch.

3 - (Sharing third place) Abdul Ghaffar's Bar B Q - All the BBQ items

4 - Food Center's Biryani - I haven't eaten any biryani more tastier than this one anywhere in my life.

5 - Mazedar Haleem

6 - Dhora ji's Gola Ganda

7 - Anwar Baloch - Karhai

8 - Salateen at highway - Karhai

9 - Cafe Piyala - Best tea in town. There was another tea cafe at NIPA. But MQM goons threatened him to close it and the pathan sold that place.

10 - Donisl - Nazimabad - Karhai,Katakut, BBQ tasty food.

The above restaurants can be afforded by middle class but can beat the taste of any expensive restaurant in Karachi.

What are your thoughts on Bundoo Khan's, Kolachi, and BBQ Tonight?

What are your thoughts on Bundoo Khan's, Kolachi, and BBQ Tonight?

Bundoo Khan has lost its charm and taste since the founder died and his sons took over. Last time when I ate it was 12-15 years back, never to go back again. All my friends and family members share the same thoughts.

BBQ tonight is expensive and not everybody can afford it. Quality of food and service are just awesome. But when it comes to taste, not a single item on its menu stands out. Not saying they are not good, but you can't say that the BBQ items are tastier than Meeruth or the karhai is tastier than salateen or shinwari. Same with Kolachi. People with no preference or those who haven't made up their mind on the items to eat should go to these place. I am that kind who decides on a couple of items before leaving home.

The restaurants that I have listed are all those which can be afforded by middle class (some of them even by poor, like jawaid nihari). A lot of restaurants I have left out as you can't do justice in a top ten list. Otherwise Karachi is the city where you can list 100 (if not more) restaurants sharing first ten places.

@PakSword
What about "Paan" I remember 25 or so years back I had a "paan" with my friends from PIDC Paan House...is that place still exist? At that time it was famous.

@PakSword
What about "Paan" I remember 25 or so years back I had a "paan" with my friends from PIDC Paan House...is that place still exist? At that time it was famous.

I ate it 10 years back. I have heard its still there. And yes, the pans from that shop is just awesome.

There was another pan shop on karsaaz road that served cold pans. I don't know whether it's still there or not.

Back
Top Bottom