What's new

SAC FC-31 Stealth Fighter: News & Discussions

Why does it look all CGI work?

It's because of the low resolution of the image. And also Zarvan demanded the primer color to be green instead of the usual yellow. :p:

But there are videos of the first flight on twitter already. So, it's real deal. We just have to wait for HD quality pics later time as always.

You deserved the praises. However, it is not confirmed whether this will be the J-35 or just testbed for Type 003 carrier CATOBAR and landing before designing the J-35

That was my original post

"You will see J-35 in the next 2 months or maybe less. China already tested J-15 with EMALS multiple times. Catapult launch is only suitable for lightweight aircraft. That’s why the relevance of J-35 is significantly increased in recent times. 003 is almost near completion (apparently in the next 3-4 months). So, this is the right time to perform rigorous platform testing with the right candidate. There is no such aircraft that exists in the entire Chinese inventory that can fit in the category except J-35. So, under the emergency initiatives, the J-35 has been transported to the facility one and a half months ago. I am pretty sure they are gearing up for the testing. Waiting for the images. Soon, the surprise is coming for the Amreekanz!"

I was specifically talking about Carrier-based model

Last edited:
That was my original post

"You will see J-35 in the next 2 months or maybe less. China already tested J-15 with EMALS multiple times. Catapult launch is only suitable for lightweight aircraft. That’s why the relevance of J-35 is significantly increased in recent times. 003 is almost near completion (apparently in the next 3-4 months). So, this is the right time to perform rigorous platform testing with the right candidate. There is no such aircraft that exists in the entire Chinese inventory that can fit in the category except J-35. So, under the emergency initiatives, the J-35 has been transported to the facility one and a half months ago. I am pretty sure they are gearing up for the testing. Waiting for the images. Soon, the surprise is coming for the Amreekanz!"

I was specifically talking about Carrier-based model

The navalized variant of FC-31 might or might not be the new J-35 being just the testing test bed before designing the new J-35 prototype. If Type 003 EMALS could propel J-15B with maximum takeoff weight at 74,000lb, then J-35 could be made larger to have sidebays. If it's powered by WS13 or WS19 engines, it could get better loitering time and slower carrier landing approach speed.

Next prediction, What's your bet on J-35 engine of choice? WS-13/19 or WS-10C/15?

I can't wait to see the land-based version. Is it still called J-21? @Deino (and @JamD @kursed )

In fact we only know some rumours but actually I have more the feeling, J-35 is more a number used to mock the US-fan-boys since it would mimic their own F-35 or it is based as on a combination of J-15 (naval fighter) meets J-20 (stealth capabilities) and so 15+20 = 35!

In reality I expect a designation within the J-2Xs range - maybe indeed J-21 for the carrier version and J-22 - another mock against the F-22 - for the PLAAF version, if there will ever be one. And only the 6th generation fighter will have a J-30-number to denote the next generation.

The navalized variant of FC-31 might or might not be the new J-35 being just the testing test bed before designing the new J-35 prototype. If Type 003 EMALS could propel J-15B with maximum takeoff weight at 74,000lb, then J-35 could be made larger to have sidebays. If it's powered by WS13 or WS19 engines, it could get better loitering time and slower carrier landing approach speed.

Next prediction, What's your bet on J-35 engine of choice? WS-13/19 or WS-10C/15?

Actually I don't know why you still question this: There is no way it will use a WS-10/-15 ... and all sources say it uses WS-13/-19.

In fact we only know some rumours but actually I have more the feeling, J-35 is more a number used to mock the US-fan-boys since it would mimic their own F-35 or it is based as on a combination of J-15 (naval fighter) meets J-20 (stealth capabilities) and so 15+20 = 35!

In reality I expect a designation within the J-2Xs range - maybe indeed J-21 for the carrier version and J-22 - another mock against the F-22 - for the PLAAF version, if there will ever be one. And only the 6th generation fighter will have a J-30-number to denote the next generation.

Actually I don't know why you still question this: There is no way it will use a WS-10/-15 ... and all sources say it uses WS-13/-19.
I don't understand why they (or anyone) don't use the MTOW for designations. It'd make so much sense.

E.g., call the FC-31/J-31 the F-27 (or F-28).

Some artwork (Image via wb/钢铁机机)

1635869143827.png

This video has a lot of information for those who know Chinese.

• This 3.0 FC-31 (Navy version) carries fewer missiles than the J20, but can carry the same missile size as the J20.
  • It's supersonic cruise speed is greater than the supersonic cruise speed of J20 and the maximum speed is less than the maximum speed of J20.
  • Maximum flight speed is greater than Mach 2.2.
  • Electronic equipment is comparable to J20.
  • The heaviest anti-ship missile carried is launched at supersonic cruise with a theoretical range of more than 1,000 km.
  • The aerodynamic shape is more complex than the J20, resulting in more complex flight control software, so the development time is longer than the J20, the development costs are higher than the J20.
  • The video says that the advantages of the F35 over the FC31 are its large bomb load and long range, and its disadvantages are poor flight performance, weak combat power, and small maximum size of missiles that can be carried. The FC-31 is a high-altitude, high-speed fighter designed to attack the F35, which can be thought of as a slimmed-down combat version of the F35 . the overall performance is ahead of the F35.

• FC-31 2.0 proving aircraft is an export model (land-based version) . 3.0 is the 2.0 version of the sea-based type

1635891051798.png

Last edited:
no one knows the exact engine at this moment. IMO, WS13 probably. I am hopeful that we will see new better quality pics with in next few weeks and then we can speculate and assess the engine type.

There is no official confirmation that navalized FC-31 would carry the designation J-31 or J-35. That's why I asked him to predict whether J-35 will be navalized FC-31 or another new fighter
Some artwork (Image via wb/钢铁机机)

View attachment 789663

Binkov said the navalized FC-31 would sacrifice rear view visibility probably due to enlarged fuel tank reducing the size of bubble canopy. The navalized FC-31 bubble canopy has some resemblance to early X-35 prototype except with smaller nose radome.

Back
Top Bottom