What's new

Redefining TCG ANADOLU as an Armed Drone Carrier

I think Turkey is trying to get too much out of the design and in the end it will end up being a under utilised warship with too many complications

1st and foremost this a LHD design for over the horizon amphibious assault that should remain its core and primary role

if they want to to have a drone carrier the design requirement should be incorporated into a 2nd LHD

if they want fixed wing a 3rd should be considered

after all when it starts flying aircraft you need extra fuel storage, weapons, replenishment and whole new infrastructure for it

at minimum Turkey should have 2 x LHD for ARG
1 x LHD for Drones
1 x LHD for fixed wing
You dont understand it from turkish point of view. Turkey doesnt have enough money to built the second one, instead they want to be able to deploy the first one so they could export it and with that money they could develop the second one and also gain some experience from LHD. so they cannot wait 5 more years for the second one to export it with the hurjet on. they have a ready design in hand and Indonesia might be interested

You dont understand it from turkish point of view. Turkey doesnt have enough money to built the second one, instead they want to be able to deploy the first one so they could export it and with that money they could develop the second one and also gain some experience from LHD. so they cannot wait 5 more years for the second one to export it with the hurjet on. they have a ready design in hand and Indonesia might be interested
I am of the opinion that this ship was a mistake. We should have waited a while longer and I think a better solution would be found.

We should have just made an LPD and made a dedicated aircraft carrier with catapults and everything.

This sounds like an enlarged, up-powered Hurjet similar to what Tejas Mk2 is to the Tejas.

Basically, I think they may design a variant of the Hurjet powered by the GE F414.

However, I wonder if they may be better off (from a time and cost standpoint) to talk to Saab about the Gripen M.
Our aim is complete independence in defense industry. We don’t want foreign planes, weapons or equipment anymore.

Just to correct the grammar; „it may happened, MIUS is aimed to come“ is surely better. It happened can be used correctly if that thing is flying … but not yet :no:

No-one is correct or wrong and maybe we‘ll all wait for a few years to see who‘s wrong. But now to take chest-bumping claims for granted as if they are already done and happened is wrong. As such please wait until that thing flies and even more off the carrier! Then you can say we „were wrong again“! :smitten:
whats up my friend? if i am saying it will happen, it will happen. You feel the difference? sometimes its good to be silent, then you look smarter..

whats up my friend? if i am saying it will happen, it will happen. You feel the difference? sometimes its good to be silent, then you look smarter..

Well ... in that case nothing is wrong, but your sentence - at least by grammar - is still wrong since maybe (or per your claim most likely) "IT WILL" happen, which is not the same "IT ALREADY HAPPENED"!

Don't get me wrong my friend, I'm a teacher! :azn:

Well ... in that case nothing is wrong, but your sentence - at least by grammar - is still wrong since maybe (or per your claim most likely) "IT WILL" happen, which is not the same "IT ALREADY HAPPENED"!

Kizilelma flied after a year i wrote the comment. So you think Turkiye, within a year developed the jet and flied it? come on, just be honest, it was happening at that time and we all knew it from official comments and you were the one making big comments without knowing anything about it. at least say sorry if you made a mistake instead of making excuses..

Let's just say, it's doubtful to ever happen.

I don't think kızılelma can take off from the TCG Anadolu at all.

I don't think it can land either. That landing gear sure doesn't look sturdy enough.

Unless Turkey develops a STOVL system like the one on F35B and Yak 141, This will only ever be a landing ship.

On April 8, TCG ANADOLU will be officially included in the inventory of the Turkish Naval Forces Command with a ceremony planned to be held.
FsZ6xZHWAAAzj4c

Bayraktar TB3 UCAV will be exhibited publicly for the first time at TEKNOFEST 2023, which will be held at Atatürk Airport in Istanbul between April 27 and May 1 on the 100th anniversary of the Republic of Turkiye. It is also expected that the first flight of TB-3 will also take place during these days.

bayraktar-tb-3-2018976.jpg

On April 8, TCG ANADOLU will be officially included in the inventory of the Turkish Naval Forces Command with a ceremony planned to be held.
FsZ6xZHWAAAzj4c

Bayraktar TB3 UCAV will be exhibited publicly for the first time at TEKNOFEST 2023, which will be held at Atatürk Airport in Istanbul between April 27 and May 1 on the 100th anniversary of the Republic of Turkiye. It is also expected that the first flight of TB-3 will also take place during these days.

'
YES...... Another classical display of Turkish Superior Mastery here...

Turkiye walks the walk, and talks the talks..

FsZ6xZHWAAAzj4c

We wanted very outlandish things but in the end we're getting a proper LHD. TB3 fits the landing CAS role very well, so does AH-1W

From what I gathered, TB3 will take off and land classic WWII style. Take off with its own power and land with it's own brakes.

I always wanted TCG Anadolu to operate like this. I never wanted the F35-B nonsense. So I'm happy. Combined with ZAHA and a couple of hovercrafts, this ship will be perfectly capable of conducting landing operations on her own.

Because TB-3 flies so slowly at only 120 knots, landings should be rather soft and that landing gear should be sturdy enough to support it.

Last edited:
We wanted very outlandish things but in the end we're getting a proper LHD. TB3 fits the landing CAS role very well, so does AH-1W

From what I gathered, TB3 will take off and land classic WWII style. Take off with its own power and land with it's own brakes.

I always wanted TCG Anadolu to operate like this. I never wanted the F35-B nonsense. So I'm happy. Combined with ZAHA and a couple of hovercrafts, this ship will be perfectly capable of conducting landing operations on her own.

Because TB-3 flies so slowly at only 120 knots, landings should be rather soft and that landing gear should be sturdy enough to support it.
Absolutely. Since TB-3 has a very slow approach speed, it will be able to stop without run the entire Anadolu's runway, with its own braking mechanism. But according to previous statements, a net system is being designed for safety purposes. So as far as I understand, it will not have a chance to pass the runway.

I think they may not even need a net system. A video of the TB-2 recently dropped in open sources, showing a Russian fighter jet dumping fuel on the TB-2, just like it shot down a US drone, but was unable to down it. Telemetry data proved that the TB-2 did not stall despite dropping to around 40 knots. I think this is very important data because the TB-3 is basically a drone system based on this aerodynamics but with a much larger wing area and span.

Absolutely. Since TB-3 has a very slow approach speed, it will be able to stop without run the entire Anadolu's runway, with its own braking mechanism. But according to previous statements, a net system is being designed for safety purposes. So as far as I understand, it will not have a chance to pass the runway.

I think they may not even need a net system. A video of the TB-2 recently dropped in open sources, showing a Russian fighter jet dumping fuel on the TB-2, just like it shot down a US drone, but was unable to down it. Telemetry data proved that the TB-2 did not stall despite dropping to around 40 knots. I think this is very important data because the TB-3 is basically a drone system based on this aerodynamics but with a much larger wing area and span.
This is why I said WWII style, this was basically the modus operandi of WWII carrier based fighters, being very light planes compared to modern jet fighters, physics allowed it. A very light plane like TB3, especially with elongated wings should be easily capable of landing on our ship. But that being said, such a plane is also susceptible to weather conditions and at times such conditions could make it necessary to utilise a safety net.

I think the second situation is pretty much irrelevant, and what caused the american drone to crash, was the collision with the propeller, not fuel dumping itself :)

But all that aside, I really don't think that heavier UCAVs like Kızılelma and Anka 3 will be taking off from or landing on TCG Anadolu anytime soon

Aside from future acqusition of T929 helicopter, what we're seeing right now will be the final form of TCG Anadolu

Last edited:
This is why I said WWII style, this was basically the modus operandi of WWII carrier based fighters, being very light planes compared to modern jet fighters, physics allowed it. A very light plane like TB3, especially with elongated wings should be easily capable of landing on our ship. But that being said, such a plane is also susceptible to weather conditions and at times such conditions could make it necessary to utilise a safety net.

I think the second situation is pretty much irrelevant, and what caused the american drone to crash, was the collision with the propeller, not fuel dumping itself :)

But all that aside, I really don't think that heavier UCAVs like Kızılelma and Anka 3 will be taking off from or landing on TCG Anadolu anytime soon

Aside from future acqusition of T929 helicopter, what we're seeing right now will be the final form of TCG Anadolu
Yes, there is also contact with the propeller, I forgot that. But what I want to say is that with the appropriate aerodynamics, composite structure(low typical weight) and flight avionics, it is possible to reduce the stall limit on low altidude(so that the approach speed) of a MALE class drones to an extraordinary level compared to conventional fixed wing aircrafts.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom