What's new

Redefining TCG ANADOLU as an Armed Drone Carrier

TB2 was the first drone in its class with day&night fully autonomous take-off and landing capability. TB3 will be the first shipborne drone in its class to land and take off to ship deck, fully autonomous.

TB3s will not need a catch hook, because will have a very low approach speed in the landing operation. However, the drones will not have a chance to pass the runway, because there will be a safety net.

May be not just drones. lol

SSB Head Demir: "They are making HÜRJET capable of landing/taking off from TCG ANADOLU. It is currently being designed."

DiskMNCWkAYh6u2.jpg

The question is: How will it land?

If they work on rolling-vertical landing, the aircraft will probably have nothing similar except the name and will require design and engine support from the UK.

If it is to be arrested with a tailhook, it can be said that this will not be an effective solution in an Anadolu type LHD without an angled landing strip.

3rd imaginary idea, 2 auxiliary take-off and landing engines. This could be require the redesign of the aircraft from almost scratch too. Does anyone remember the German's fantastic project VFW VAK 191B?

Last edited:
May be not just drones. lol

SSB Head Demir: "They are making HÜRJET capable of landing/taking off from TCG ANADOLU. It is currently being designed."

DiskMNCWkAYh6u2.jpg

The question is: How will it land?

If they work on rolling-vertical landing, the aircraft will probably have nothing similar except the name and will require design and engine support from the UK.

If it is to be arrested with a tailhook, it can be said that this will not be an effective solution in an Anadolu type LHD without an angled landing strip.

3rd imaginary idea, 2 auxiliary take-off and landing engines. This could be require the redesign of the aircraft from almost scratch too. Does anyone remember the German's fantastic project VFW VAK 191B?
This sounds like an enlarged, up-powered Hurjet similar to what Tejas Mk2 is to the Tejas.

Basically, I think they may design a variant of the Hurjet powered by the GE F414.

However, I wonder if they may be better off (from a time and cost standpoint) to talk to Saab about the Gripen M.

This sounds like an enlarged, up-powered Hurjet similar to what Tejas Mk2 is to the Tejas.

Basically, I think they may design a variant of the Hurjet powered by the GE F414.

However, I wonder if they may be better off (from a time and cost standpoint) to talk to Saab about the Gripen M.
I think that Hurjet's light attack variant's thrust-weight ratio is theoretically suitable for short take-offs with support of ski jump on platform. If full payload and fuel is targeted, it can of course be designed with more powerful engines. Or a solution such as 2xTEI-TF 6000(10.000?) can be built on the same infrastructure.

The real mystery for me is about the landing operation. Let's say the aircraft will be held with the help of a hook; The flight deck of TCG Andolu does not have a suitable layout for fixed-wing aircrafts' conventional landing operations, to make an effective sortie density. The deck must be completely emptied for the aircraft to land. How many minutes will it take to prepare the runway for the next operation after landing? What would the ship's total sortie capacity be without disrupting other aviation operations?

The only solution I can think of is a rolling-vertical type landings with thrust vectoring support or auxiliary engines. However, this would also be called developing a new aircraft even its name is same. A true aircraft carrier building may cost less.

I think that Hurjet's light attack variant's thrust-weight ratio is theoretically suitable for short take-offs with support of ski jump on platform. If full payload and fuel is targeted, it can of course be designed with more powerful engines. Or a solution such as 2xTEI-TF 6000(10.000?) can be built on the same infrastructure.

The real mystery for me is about the landing operation. Let's say the aircraft will be held with the help of a hook; The flight deck of TCG Andolu does not have a suitable layout for fixed-wing aircrafts' conventional landing operations, to make an effective sortie density. The deck must be completely emptied for the aircraft to land. How many minutes will it take to prepare the runway for the next operation after landing? What would the ship's total sortie capacity be without disrupting other aviation operations?

The only solution I can think of is a rolling-vertical type landings with thrust vectoring support or auxiliary engines. However, this would also be called developing a new aircraft even its name is same. A true aircraft carrier building may cost less.
Could they be using the TCG Anadolu for very limited testing of the Naval Hurjet? Maybe it's to test the Hurjet more so than to operationally deploy it? Perhaps they're envisaging a larger STOBAR carrier design (40,000 tons?) that's designed from the ground up for Naval Hurjet?

Could they be using the TCG Anadolu for very limited testing of the Naval Hurjet? Maybe it's to test the Hurjet more so than to operationally deploy it? Perhaps they're envisaging a larger STOBAR carrier design (40,000 tons?) that's designed from the ground up for Naval Hurjet?
It will be difficult to predict the answers to these questions until the launch of Naval hurjet is shown.

It has also been mentioned several times that the MMU will also have a naval variant in the later blocks. In this sense, it is possible for Hurjet to be a preparatory phase. However, on the other hand, these are statements that reveal the desire of the navy for a real aircraft carrier.

It is also a possibility that should not be ignored that 'I think' the navy will seek to acquire an alternative solution instead of the F35B acquisition target, albeit with limited capacity.

I think Turkey is trying to get too much out of the design and in the end it will end up being a under utilised warship with too many complications

1st and foremost this a LHD design for over the horizon amphibious assault that should remain its core and primary role

if they want to to have a drone carrier the design requirement should be incorporated into a 2nd LHD

if they want fixed wing a 3rd should be considered

after all when it starts flying aircraft you need extra fuel storage, weapons, replenishment and whole new infrastructure for it

at minimum Turkey should have 2 x LHD for ARG
1 x LHD for Drones
1 x LHD for fixed wing

I think Turkey is trying to get too much out of the design and in the end it will end up being a under utilised warship with too many complications

1st and foremost this a LHD design for over the horizon amphibious assault that should remain its core and primary role

if they want to to have a drone carrier the design requirement should be incorporated into a 2nd LHD

after all when it starts flying aircraft you need extra fuel storage, weapons, replenishment and whole new infrastructure for it

1 x LHD for Drones
1 x LHD for fixed wing
Current developments shows that the second ship(IMO, not sister ship anymore) is targeted as a full sized aircraft carrier, and when that ship launch, TCG Anadolu (LHD/LAC) will be on drydock for some structural changes.

I also guess that ships 3 and 4 of the Bayraktar class heavy LSTs will be a slightly LPD-like landing ship with increased helicopter operations capabilities.

Last edited:

1 x LHD for Drones
1 x LHD for fixed wing
This ship will serve as a basis for real tests, the real project is the construction of a dedicated aircraft carrier. For now, this model will bring experience and knowledge before setting up a larger vessel.
There is one coming to be dismantled in Turkey

1656975792689.png

Turks brothers need to buy highly advance Tejas aircraft for LHD.:p:

Turks brothers need to buy highly advance Tejas aircraft for LHD.:p:
Tejas and Hurjet are in the same class.

The first block Hurjet will make its maiden flight in December 2022. However, it is highly possible that the Naval-Hurjet, the SSB is talking about here is a highly differentiated aircraft.

But the problem is that LHD Anadolu is not an aircraft carrier. In its current state, the ship does not provide a suitable operational condition for either the Tejas or any other STOBAR jet. In order for the STOBAR jets to reach a certain sortie capacity and not to disrupt other air operations, a ship with an angled landing line is needed.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom