What's new

Zimbabwe adopts Chinese yuan as legal currency

Raphael

Reaction score
Country
China
Zimbabwe adopts Chinese yuan as legal currency | African Business | BDlive

HARARE — Zimbabwe’s central bank announced on Wednesday it would accept the Chinese yuan and three other Asian currencies as legal tender as economic relations have improved in recent years.

"Trade and investment ties between Zimbabwe, China, India, Japan and Australia have grown appreciably," said Charity Dhliwayo, acting governor of the Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe.

Exporters and the public can now open accounts in yuans, Australian dollars, Indian rupees and Japanese yen, Dhliwayo said. Zimbabwe abandoned its worthless currency in 2009.

It accepts the US dollar and the South African rand as the main legal tender. Their use has helped to stabilise the economy after world-record inflation threw it into a tailspin.

Independent economist Chris Mugaga said the introduction of the Asian currencies would not make a huge difference to Zimbabwe’s struggling economy.

"It is Zimbabwe’s Look East Policy, which has forced this, and nothing else," he said.

President Robert Mugabe has sought to boost economic relations with Asia after his relations with the West came under strain over his policy of seizing white-owned farms.

Chinese investors have over the past two decades entered diamond mining, construction and retail sectors in the south-east African country.

This is the first step towards dismantling the dollar hegemony.

This is huge, lets buy some yuan!

Well........it really surprises me. A little faster than I thought. But zimbabwe's economy is already ruined.

can't believe an indian is supporting chinese currency to be global:woot: anyway good luck china:china:

HARARE — Zimbabwe’s central bank announced on Wednesday it would accept the Chinese yuan and three other Asian currencies as legal tender as economic relations have improved in recent years.

"Trade and investment ties between Zimbabwe, China, India, Japan and Australia have grown appreciably," said Charity Dhliwayo, acting governor of the Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe.
:D

Zimbabwe ??!! HAHAHAHAHA !!! The SAME Zimbabwe with the senile dictator and the 10,000,000 % inflation ? HAHAHAHAHA !!!!:welcome: Good for them !! You go, Mugabe !!!

zimbabwe-inflation-control.jpg

NoZimDollars.jpg

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Their money is pretty much worthless. They had 100 trillion dollar banknotes that are now souvenirs. They had to switch to the dollar. Unfortunately now they have the reverse problem...a dollar is worth so much nobody has any coin change! So they'll take anything now.

trillion-620x362.jpg

When I first started going to Mexico about 25 years ago, it was 3000 Pesos to the dollar and all they had were fives and tens. I would change US$100 into pesos and get a stack of money about six inches thick. Made you feel like a Rockefeller.

When I first started going to Mexico about 25 years ago, it was 3000 Pesos to the dollar and all they had were fives and tens. I would change US$100 into pesos and get a stack of money about six inches thick. Made you feel like a Rockefeller.

Was there too at that time! That was crazy. I did the same $100 exchange. You buy a big dinner and not make a dent in the stack. I ended up just giving most of it to the little kids running around.

In the future the yuan will replace the dollar unless the american people demand that their policy makers stop devaluing it.
downloade.jpg

Back
Top Bottom