What's new

You won't hear it, but news from Afghanistan is bad

pakistani342

Reaction score
Country
United States
Great prose -- opinion piece by Robert Fisk here, excerpts below:

And, just for good measure, take the recent local story in Afghanistan about poor Qais Rahmani who, along with his family and four-month-old baby, set off among the refugee army to Europe and in Turkey boarded a boat to Greece which almost immediately sank. Qais’s baby died in his arms. Just another Alan Kurdi, you may say, but what struck Afghans was that Qais was a well-known television presenter, his wife and family university-educated. The Rahmanis were not from the poor and huddled masses. They were middle class, the very people who should have wanted to stay and build the new Afghanistan and to work for their government, which is – I quote Obama again – “working to combat corruption, strengthen institutions, and uphold the rule of law”.

So just stand back and look at the script. The Taliban ended the lawless regime of the Afghan militias and controlled almost all of Afghanistan by 1996. But it also sheltered al-Qaeda post 9/11. So we invaded Afghanistan to destroy both al-Qaeda and the vile misogynist, murderous and undemocratic Taliban. But the Taliban was not conquered. And now it is winning. And today, we surely want it to fight against the even more vile, misogynist and murderous Isis. Which is why, tucked away at the end of his peroration to the American people, Obama said that everyone should “press the Taliban… to do their part in the pursuit of the peace the Afghans deserve”. So the horrid Taliban can become the good, brave Taliban again. Truly, the news from Afghanistan must be very bad.

if USA started to support Taliban .... alot of marines won't be happy who went there and lost friends and made personal sacrifices just strange policies after another

if USA started to support Taliban .... alot of marines won't be happy who went there and lost friends and made personal sacrifices just strange policies after another

I don't think anybody will be happy -- and especially those who risked life and limb or lost life and limb -- that much is true.

who would be happy with bearded fanatics? -- I don't think even the Taliban will be happy with themselves.

Back
Top Bottom