What's new

Yom Kippur War

Mansoor A Qureshi

Reaction score
Guys i need to know about the "Yom Kippur War" What was the objective and who won it, a complete scenario on it, can anyone help?

Regards.......

anyone else wants to contribute? from different source?

Interesting topic!
We need some experts to help us with data.
I'll see if I can invite a few friends from ME and Israel for this thread.

Guys i need to know about the "Yom Kippur War" What was the objective and who won it, a complete scenario on it, can anyone help?

Regards.......

It's an interesting question. The objective is not 100% clear, and also not necessarily the same for all Arab combatants. Some argue that Egypt did not believe it could win, but hoped to inflict enough damage on the Israelis to force them to withdraw from the Sinai, while Syria was hoping for a war of annihilation (which, according to this argument, Egypt pretended to support). In military terms, Israel was the victor. After initial heavy casualties and being driven from the east bank of the Suez, the Israelis recrossed the canal and were only a short distance (geographically) from Cairo. Similarly, the Syrians made initial advances in the Golan Heights before being driven back. By the war's end, the IDF would shelling Damascus with artillery. In both cases, it was assumed that Israeli reserves would take too long to be called into service in order to hold onto the Sinai or Golan (due to Yom Kippur, the most solemn holiday in Judaism where radio communications were not being used and most soldiers were off duty). This didn't matter much in the Sinai where Egyptian forces had decided to set up a defensive front (this is what lead to the argument that Egypt didn't really believe it could destroy Israel). The lack of a continuing Egyptian offensive reduced the urgency of the southern front. The Israeli leadership had already decided that the northern front was more important anyways, both because of the much smaller amount of territory an invader would need to cross and because much more of the Israeli population is concentrated in the north. Because of this, and Egypt's willingness to stay on the defensive, the IDF was able to muster enough force to drive the Syrians out before swinging south to destroy the Egyptian forces in the Sinai.

In political terms, the war had the effect of shattering the myth of Israeli invincibility (due to the initial high casualties suffered) which had been generated by the Six Day War. But the military defeat of Egypt lead Sadat to believe that the Sinai could not be retaken and held by force. With both sides learning a bit of humility, they were able to negotiate Israel relenquishing the Sinai in exchange for a peace treaty and full diplomatic and trade relations.

I'm not sure what, if any, were the political effects on Syria, although since that point Syria has not attempted an invasion of Israel, and has only used Lebanon as a proxy.

Neo, apparently I or somebody else signed up as ZFBoxcar already. I entered my email on the "forget password" thing and it didn't send me my password. If ZFBoxcar doesn't belong to anybody else (and I don't think it does, nobody has ever posted with it), could you please delete that account and change my name to that on this account (I like to be consistent across the internet lol)?

Boxcar said:
Neo, apparently I or somebody else signed up as ZFBoxcar already. I entered my email on the "forget password" thing and it didn't send me my password. If ZFBoxcar doesn't belong to anybody else (and I don't think it does, nobody has ever posted with it), could you please delete that account and change my name to that on this account (I like to be consistent across the internet lol)?

Looks like we have an Identity fraud here. I will see what I can do, maybe talk to admin.

Btw: How come you dont post on PDF anymore?

Thanks for joining us ZFB, let me give you a warm welcome aboard the PFF!
Your expertise concerning the ME will be highly appreciated by PFF members!
Hoping to hear more from you!

Neo :army:

Before we can get to the War, maybe its a good idea to know what Yom Kippur is.
Arabs launched the assault on this very day for a reason.

Neo said:

Here you go:

http://www.jewfaq.org/holiday4.htm

The Arabs knew it was a major holiday, and that everybody and everything would on "skeleton staff". Like attacking the US on say Thanksgiving day - most people would be in a food coma!!

Looks like we have an Identity fraud here. I will see what I can do, maybe talk to admin.

Thank you.

Btw: How come you dont post on PDF anymore?

Well I will post if something interests me enough, but the mindset of a lot of posters there just bothers me. Not everyone of course, there are still quite a few good people there.

Thanks for joining us ZFB, let me give you a warm welcome aboard the PFF!
Your expertise concerning the ME will be highly appreciated by PFF members!
Hoping to hear more from you!

Neo

Thank you Neo :cheers:

Yom Kippur is the second (and more somber) of the two Jewish High Holidays. Rosh Hashanah is the Jewish New Year, which is a pretty happy holiday. Yom Kippur comes 10 days later. In those 10 days you are supposed to apologize and make ammends to all those you have wronged, and then apologize to God. A saying used is that "on Rosh Hashanah it is written, on Yom Kippur it is sealed," basically meaning that God has decided what kind of person you are on Rosh Hashanah based on your conduct throughout the year, but you have 10 days to make ammends before God decides conclusively on you (obviously if you aren't gonna die in the next year you get to try again lol). Yom Kippur is a more serious holiday because through prayer, Jews are asking God to temper his judgement and forgive and accept repentence for sins. As a sign of repentence, Jews fast for the 25 hours of Yom Kippur, do not use electricity (ideally) and spend most of the day in synagogue. The bolded part is obviously the most critical from a military perspective. The IDF was pretty much shut down, its soldiers weren't eating, no radios (except for the most essential services) were being used and a lot of soldiers were in synagogues praying.

Are you Jew?

I like reading about Abrahamic faiths.

btw.. Welcome...

Boxcar said:
Thank you Neo :cheers:
You're welcome. :)

Yom Kippur is the second (and more somber) of the two Jewish High Holidays. Rosh Hashanah is the Jewish New Year, which is a pretty happy holiday. Yom Kippur comes 10 days later. In those 10 days you are supposed to apologize and make ammends to all those you have wronged, and then apologize to God. A saying used is that "on Rosh Hashanah it is written, on Yom Kippur it is sealed," basically meaning that God has decided what kind of person you are on Rosh Hashanah based on your conduct throughout the year, but you have 10 days to make ammends before God decides conclusively on you (obviously if you aren't gonna die in the next year you get to try again lol). Yom Kippur is a more serious holiday because through prayer, Jews are asking God to temper his judgement and forgive and accept repentence for sins. As a sign of repentence, Jews fast for the 25 hours of Yom Kippur, do not use electricity (ideally) and spend most of the day in synagogue. The bolded part is obviously the most critical from a military perspective. The IDF was pretty much shut down, its soldiers weren't eating, no radios (except for the most essential services) were being used and a lot of soldiers were in synagogues praying.
Thanks Ira, I couldn't have given a better explaination of the event.
Its cruel to launch an assault on such a day but strategically it was brilliant move by the arabs.
The airdefence almost down and hungry soldiers to guard the borders.
Arabs could have marched in on a red carpet...

A.Rahman said:
I like reading about Abrahamic faiths.
Then we have something in common.
I spent three years of intensive study of Judaism, Christianity and the Islam.
Its very interesting how the historical events are interpretted form different angles.
The Judaism is very intriguing.

Neo said:
Then we have something in common.
I spent three years of intensive study of Judaism, Christianity and the Islam.
Its very interesting how the historical events are interpretted form different angles.
The Judaism is very intriguing.

wow.. same here!:thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom