What's new

YF-23 The World's Only INVISIBLE airplane

Yf-23 vs F-22: Did the Air Force take 2nd best?

Yes it's an oppinion, but I think there is truth in it. I believe that in order to save money, the USAF took the 2nd place design in the Advanced Tactical Fighter compition. When mached in the Air Superiority Mission, the F-23 design was not only all around MORE Capable than the F-22, but had better upgrade and growth potential, which means that it would have lasted longer as a fromt line aircraft before a replacement will be needed in the future. So what do I base it on?

* Stealth - The YF-23 had better all aspect stealth qualities which makes it More survivable!

* Speed- The YF-23 could attack the enemy faster

* Computer Technology- The Air Force stated that the F-22 had more throughly tested computer technology, which suggest the F-22's computers may be based on older technology (Useing older, but more proven technology is a trademark of the Skunk Works)

Now look at this clame:

Once again the USAF released a design requirement for the Advanced Technology Fighter (ATF) program. Competing bids by Lockheed/Boeing/General Dynamics and Northrop/McDonnell-Douglas were awarded and a fly-off would determine the winner. Once again Lockheed came out on top and was awarded the ATF contract for the F-22 Raptor. Sources state that Northrop’s entry, the YF-23, was clearly a superior aircraft and the reason it as not awarded to them was that Northrop held the B-2 bomber contract.

Yf-23 vs F-22: Did the Air Force take 2nd best?, page 1

Why?

Despite the US military's robust budget, not every design makes it onto the battlefield. In fact, only a select number of the very best designs ever actually fly. So what the hell was the USAF thinking choosing the defect-ridden F-22 Raptor over this gorgeous jet?

When the Soviets rolled out their advanced Su-27 and MiG-29 jets in the 1980s, the USAF countered with its own Advanced Tactical Fighter (ATF) competition, the winner of which would become America's fifth-generation fighter. After issuing a call for designs, the Air Force chose Northrop Grumman's YF-23 prototype and Lockheed's YF-22 as the competition's finalists in 1987.

Similar to the YF-22, which would become the F-22 Raptor, the YF-23 prototype was an 67-foot-long, single-seat, twin-engine design. It featured diamond-shaped wings with a 47-foot span, a thin profile to reduce drag at supersonic speeds, and a V-shaped tail. Unlike the Raptor's thrust vectoring exhaust nozzles, the YF-23 used fixed nozzles the ported out of the top of the fuselage so as to better hide the plane's IR signature from ground-based air defenses.

19e05ym5lurphjpg.jpg

The two prototype YF-23s, dubbed "Black Widow II" and "Gray Ghost," were powered by twin after-burning turbofans made by Pratt & Whitney and General Electric, respectively. These power-plants generated 35,000 lbf apiece, enough to reach Mach 2.2 at altitude and supercruise at Mach 1.6 for nearly 2,800 miles. And while the prototypes were never actually armed, they were designed to carry at least a 20mm Vulcan cannon, four AMRAAM medium-range air-to-air missiles, and a pair of Sidewinder short-range air-to-air missiles.

Between the two ATF finalists, the the YF-23 offered greater range, faster speed, and better stealth capabilities, but was less agile than the YF-22 in combat. Conversely, the YF-23's peculiar fuselage design would have made it more expensive to produce and Northrop Grumman's program management record was far from stellar, making Lockheed's offering seem a far less risky proposition. At least that's what they thought at the time.

Once the decision was made in 1991 to go with the F-22, the two YF-23 prototypes were quietly retired and shipped off to remote aviation museums, with Black Widow going to the National Museum of the United States Air Force near Dayton, Ohio and Grey Ghost heading to the Western Museum of Flight in Torrance, California. However, after 16 years of development, no small portion of which has been spent grounded due to technical failures, the F-22 Raptor is quickly losing its shine as the face of America's fifth-gen fighters.

The shortcomings of the F-22 program kept the door open for the YF-23 to potentially enter production, first in the late 1980's as a replacement to the Navy's F-14 and again in 2004 as an interim bomber for the USAF. But in both cases, the YF-23 lost out to alternate designs. Today, the diamond-wing fighter seems destined for permanent retirement.

The Air Force Prototype Fighter That Was Just Never Quite Good Enough

from what I read the YF-23 was or still is stealthier than the F-22 by how much who knows.

I just hope we don't screw up on the replacement for the B-2.

wonder if you could scale up the YF-23 and make it into a stealth bomber and give it the avionics of the F-35

looks like PAK-FA, especially air intakes

19e05ym5lurphjpg.jpg

pak_fa_front_desert_camo_by_bbb4445-d7cc3we.jpg

Its the other way around, PAK FA looks similar to YF-23.

If US had gone for both planes it would have added more capabilities to them. They could have ordered 150 YF-23 along with YF-22s.

from what I read the YF-23 was or still is stealthier than the F-22 by how much who knows.

I just hope we don't screw up on the replacement for the B-2.

wonder if you could scale up the YF-23 and make it into a stealth bomber and give it the avionics of the F-35

I think US would have gone for YF-23 with modification / Upgrade for USAF & USN before going for F-35s.

YF-23 was simply not what we wanted. All i see people drooling over its stealth characteristics but manoeuvrability was an important aspect where it was found to well below the acceptable standards.

Our military had funded their R&D and we surely know how to make use of the knowledge base.

They couldn't afford it. Simple as that. They couldn't even afford F-22 that's why its production was stopped.

185 state of the earth F22s can take down several countries' air force simultaneously without even breaking a sweat.

Don't make atrocious claims !

You are misinterpreting my statement. F-22 is the best Air Superiority fighter in the world flying today. But what i said was it was too expensive for USAF to build more. F-35 is a cheaper alternative but nowhere near as capable as F-22.

In a combat simulation performed by RAND: A war between USA and China over Taiwan was simulated. All F-22's were assumed to have fired all their munitions but they simply didn't have enough planes to hold off the Chinese.

They couldn't afford it. Simple as that. They couldn't even afford F-22 that's why its production was stopped.

couldn't afford it??? well yeah in a post soviet you don't need a 200+million jet
we waste billions on dumb crap that never even see the light of day

believe me if USSR didn't collapse in 89-91' we'd have over 300+ F-22s and several hundred B-2s

couldn't afford it??? well yeah in a post soviet you don't need a 200+million jet
we waste billions on dumb crap that never even see the light of day

believe me if USSR didn't collapse in 89-91' we'd have over 300+ F-22s and several hundred B-2s

Yes and no. I think with the tensions with China fuming, USAF needs every plane they can get. But they are already scratching the bottom of the barrel to stay at maximum combat effectiveness, examples include retiring A-10's so they can divert personnel to F-35s. (although they've been brought back after much fighting)

One-third of Air Force including Blue Angels grounded by sequester | New York Post

They chose the design based upon who was willing to "donate" most in the election budgets.

Back
Top Bottom