What's new

Yakuza extorts 18% of Japanese companies

ahfatzia

Reaction score
20121117.122348_eyeb.jpg

Initiation body tattoo

TOKYO- Among companies subjected to demands from organised crime syndicates such as extortion of money, 18.4% acquiesced, according to a recent survey, the National Police Agency has announced.

The figure was almost the same level as a similar survey conducted in 2010 in which 21.8% of companies that received unreasonable demands complied with them.

The NPA is calling on companies to consult with police when they are troubled by gangsters.

The NPA, the Japan Federation of Bar Associations and other organisations conducted a survey in July, targeting 10,000 companies nationwide. The survey asked whether they had received unreasonable demands from organised crime syndicates in the past five years.

Among 2,885 companies that responded to the survey, 337, or 11.7%, said they had received such demands from organised crime syndicates. Of the 337 companies, 185 had received such demands within the past year.

About 71.8% of the demands pressed companies to pay money, give product discounts or buy items to settle quarrels for which pretexts had been fabricated. Sixty-two of the 337 companies accepted either part or all of the demands. Five companies paid more than 5 million yen, the survey said.

As some companies are believed to have given in to the demands for fear of reprisals, the NPA said it will make efforts to familiarize more companies with consultation services and improve protective measures. So far this year there have been 13 cases in which gangsters attacked citizens and companies and no arrests have been made.

According to the survey, 2,562 companies, or 88.8% of the 2,885 companies surveyed, knew about antigang ordinances that were enforced by Tokyo and the other 46 prefectures nationwide by October last year. Of them, 63.3% said the ordinances were effective in ostracizing organised crime syndicates.

611/2% of companies surveyed took measures to avoid becoming victims, such as incorporating a clause in contracts with other businesses that prohibits the involvement of organised crime syndicates; this number doubled from the previous survey.

While 94.6% of companies listed on the First Section of the Tokyo Stock Exchange took such measures, only 37.7 of individual business operators did so, the survey said.

Survey: Yakuza extorted 18 per cent of companies

Yakuza - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Unlikely, Japan's such a very closed society even flies can't get in.:smokin:

Yakuza's history goes back hundred of years and they are in every segment of the societies, including the government.

Here is a 60 Minutes video: Yakuza - 60 Minutes - CBS News

similar to Mafia gangs in South Italy. Though Italian gangsters do not carry tattoo, but nice suits. :D

similar to Mafia gangs in South Italy. Though Italian gangsters do not carry tattoo, but nice suits. :D

I think as per their own respective countries the yakuza, the Italian mafia, the Russian underworlds and former Soviet Confederation underworld have the most holds on their societies. I read somewhere there are some kind of international cooperation, along with non mainland triads, among these groups in narcotics and other crimes.

Because of the RICO laws I'm glad most American bosses are the thing of the past. How about Vietnam, anything organized in such a magnitudes?

I think as per their own respective countries the yakuza, the Italian mafia, the Russian underworlds and former Soviet Confederation underworld have the most holds on their societies. I read somewhere there are some kind of international cooperation, along with non mainland triads, among these groups in narcotics and other crimes.

Because of the RICO laws I'm glad most American bosses are the thing of the past. How about Vietnam, anything organized in such a magnitudes?

I don´t know much about organized crimes in Vietnam. However, in Germany I hear stories of Vietnamese and Chinese gangsters blackmailing restaurant business people for protection money. Both groups are very dangerous.

I don´t know much about organized crimes in Vietnam. However, in Germany I hear stories of Vietnamese and Chinese gangsters blackmailing restaurant business people for protection money. Both groups are very dangerous.

These are small potatoes that'll easily put away by the authorities or they'll outgrown it when they get older. I heard the Netherlands has strong triad connections.

You ever heard of Michael Tsai from Vietnam in the 80s? He led a Vietnam gang called BTK (Born To Kill) and terrorized the Chinese community in New York City but put away for good later. In California 80s the Vietnam gangs were very powerful and feared by the locals. But again these are small compare to the organized ones.

In HK all the latest generation of Triad leaders turned legit and remain very very powerful. Taiwan is probably the only country, aside from Japan, where gang leaders are accepted and respected in the society and maybe Russia too......

In Shibuya, they sell women in Public. Police doesn't do anything!

No surprise there considering many local politicians and polices probably have connections or in bed with the yazukas. Also people view crimes differently in different part of the world.

These are small potatoes that'll easily put away by the authorities or they'll outgrown it when they get older. I heard the Netherlands has strong triad connections.

You ever heard of Michael Tsai from Vietnam in the 80s? He led a Vietnam gang called BTK (Born To Kill) and terrorized the Chinese community in New York City but put away for good later. In California 80s the Vietnam gangs were very powerful and feared by the locals. But again these are small compare to the organized ones.

In HK all the latest generation of Triad leaders turned legit and remain very very powerful. Taiwan is probably the only country, aside from Japan, where gang leaders are accepted and respected in the society and maybe Russia too......

Yes, I hear some vague stories of Vietnamese gangs in the US. They were believed to kill people without emotion. Found a wiki link: Born to Kill (gang) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Like in Germany, most of them terrorised Asian business people, blackmailing them for protection money.

Name me a place without any gangland influence? You can't.

Gangs everywhere, i used to live in a hood that 3 gangs (MS-13, Brotherhood and Triad) are fighting over the turfs people died everyday. This is a world wide problem.

I got a friend who used to run with a gang, when you are just a runner, you mean jack shxt, you work your way up to be a lieutenant and then leader of the gang. They deal with everything, protection, ransom, drug, guns, wetwork.

Compare them to the OGB, the mafia whci hdoes make more sense, and gang and mafia usually don't mix, they thave their own turf.

Name me a place without any gangland influence? You can't.

Gangs everywhere, i used to live in a hood that 3 gangs (MS-13, Brotherhood and Triad) are fighting over the turfs people died everyday. This is a world wide problem.

I got a friend who used to run with a gang, when you are just a runner, you mean jack shxt, you work your way up to be a lieutenant and then leader of the gang. They deal with everything, protection, ransom, drug, guns, wetwork.

Compare them to the OGB, the mafia whci hdoes make more sense, and gang and mafia usually don't mix, they thave their own turf.

FYI, Singapore. LOLOL...

Back
Top Bottom