What's new

Xinjiang Province: News & Discussions

Xinjiang's population is about 20 million. Uighurs make up about half of it. Overwhelmingly, Uighurs are for national unity and stability. Only religious and ethnics zealots are hateful toward the nation and they are dealt with as they deserve.

Beyond all the ethnic richness of China, there is only one Chinese nation where everybody's loyalty rests on.

All these theoretically intelligent authors often forget, in their anti-China delirium, that numbers matter in situations of ethnic separatism and terrorism. They matter a lot. And none of the numbers even remotely favor the "good terrorists" the West has adopted as poster children.

What sympathy would the author be referring to? From foreigners? The only thing that matters in a situation like this is domestic opinion and there's certainly no sympathy from Han Chinese who are on the receiving end of crude Uighur terrorist attacks. Whilst mere pinpricks against the overwhelming Han majority, every Uighur act of violence only hardens Han Chinese attitudes and, contrary to what the author claims, grants the Chinese government *more* legitimacy as well as a freer hand to respond with overwhelming organized state violence against the perpetrators.

IMO, the author is ascribing doomsday scenarios to Uighur unrest that actually have no historical parallels. China isn't Yugoslavia where the conflicting ethnic groups were roughly similar in number. Uighurs number a mere 20 million, while there are a billion Hans. Whenever people start using things like "trying to maintain a hold on Xinjiang" or "crisis point in Xinjiang", it strikes me more as wishful thinking than objective analysis. Westerners would love for Xinjiang to break away but it'll be a cold day in hell before 1.3 billion Chinese people let less than 2% of the population make off with a quarter of their territory. :-)

I will agree that the author tends to focus on historical anecdotes, and its justified since there are realities to the plights of the Uighyurs' who voice out complaint against some policies of the Central Government.

Now, in regards to the issue at hand, I don't think the separation of Xinjiang from China is going to be a solution to the problem. For one, China will never allow that to happen, and second, even if (hypothetically speaking) Xinjiang were to become independent, there are still Han Chinese who live in that province. I think what the author is trying to allude to is the need to address the issues to which the Uighyur minority find disconcerting. I have no doubt that the central government in China can solve the issue in a pragmatic manner, and it must. Afterall, these Uighyurs are also Chinese citizens, just as much Chinese as Han, Hui, Tai, Zhuang, Manchu or what not.

Like the Chinese users here, I don't see any change in the cards. The CCP is nothing if not a student of history, and viewed the 1989 "Autumn of Nations" and the fall of the Berlin Wall as a lesson not to be repeated (ironically, it was probably Tiananmen Square that accelerated the downfall of the USSR, again making an impression on the CCP for how not to do things).

The CCP thus cannot allow any results from the unrest in Xinjiang without encouraging other separatist movements and undermining a unified Chinese identity. Furthermore, what would the mechanism of Uighur autonomy be? They don't have the military strength to force change, they don't appeal to the other ethnicities of China, and their terror tactics alienate them from the West. The means of achieving their objective is unclear.

Even Scotland agitated for decades for its own parliament before it contemplated independence. Shouldn't the Uighurs have done the same (i.e. propose a gradual devolution of powers to the provinces in order to participate more in deciding their own destiny)? That would at least have had some appeal to the rest of the Chinese population.

Like the Chinese users here, I don't see any change in the cards. The CCP is nothing if not a student of history, and viewed the 1989 "Autumn of Nations" and the fall of the Berlin Wall as a lesson not to be repeated (ironically, it was probably Tiananmen Square that accelerated the downfall of the USSR, again making an impression on the CCP for how not to do things).

The CCP thus cannot allow any results from the unrest in Xinjiang without encouraging other separatist movements and undermining a unified Chinese identity. Furthermore, what would the mechanism of Uighur autonomy be? They don't have the military strength to force change, they don't appeal to the other ethnicities of China, and their terror tactics alienate them from the West. The means of achieving their objective is unclear.

Even Scotland agitated for decades for its own parliament before it contemplated independence. Shouldn't the Uighurs have done the same (i.e. propose a gradual devolution of powers to the provinces in order to participate more in deciding their own destiny)? That would at least have had some appeal to the rest of the Chinese population.

I would also like to add that, in regards to the CPC point of view, the Central Government needs to be wary of excessive change to the structure and organization of government. The firm grip of power the CPC has from the national level, to the provincial and further down to the municipal level is the conservative laws, and the expeditious handling of punishment if these laws are violated.China knows very well of the catastrophic failure of Gorbachev's Perestroika and Glasnost, which academic researchers blame as the cause of the rapid collapse of the Soviet Union. For authoritarian regimes like the CPC and now the defunct CPSU (Communist Party of the Soviet Union), change must come gradually.

Xinjiang court sentences 12 to death for terror attack

3dd4acec7b26c084a0e6cca369043861.jpg

A court in Xinjiang’s Kashi Prefecture has sentenced 12 people to death in connection with the July 28 terrorist attack in Shache county.

Fifteen others were also sentenced to death with a two-year reprieve, while 9 people were handed life imprisonment terms.

5ffee92d646aaa566676d8bcce2194de.jpg

On July 28, 2014, a massive gang armed with knives and axes had attacked a police station and government offices in Elixku township. From there, some of them moved to Huangdi township, attacking civilians and smashing vehicles. The attackers killed 37 civilians while 13 others were left injured.

970ea8695775040de5ae84d58685061e.jpg

dcde937b1cf8ebba55669b1f195d1273.jpg

Police shot dead 59 of the attackers and arrested 215 others, confiscating the weapons along with banners proclaiming “holy war”.

Subsequent investigations showed that the attack was organized and premeditated by terrorists within and outside China.

A man named Nuramat Sawut from Elixku township, who had close connections with the terrorist organization East Turkestan Islamic Movement (ETIM), was identified as the mastermind.

不管是新疆还是西藏的暴恐分子,其反人类反社会的恶行都是无法饶恕的,这些人应该被当场击毙,对他们的审判本身就是浪费司法资源,那些受到暴恐伤害的人们是不愿意看到这些暴恐分子中的任何一个再次流入社会的。说这些并不是否定法治,实在是我们的法治惩治力度并没有有效遏制暴恐分子在中国的严重犯罪,这是所有中国国民不能容忍的!
就在昨天,两名暴徒残忍杀害了新疆一名女警,被害人已经怀孕两个多月了,我在想,中国对暴恐犯罪到了必须从根源予以铲除的地步了,为什么不越境打击恐怖分子呢?必须要让所有的暴恐分子清楚,进入中国或者教唆某些中国人犯罪,他们就不会有未来!

Back
Top Bottom