What's new

WSJ: Afghans Flee Homes as U.S. Pulls Back

pakistani342

Reaction score
Country
United States
excerpts related to possible refugee influx into Pakistan.

original article here

By MARGHERITA STANCATI in Kabul and RACHEL PANNETT in Makassar, Indonesia

U.N. officials worry that widening violence could kick off an exodus abroad when American-led forces leave the country next year.

For those trying to leave Afghanistan altogether, the first stop often is neighboring Iran or Pakistan. Some who are wealthy or lucky enough head for Europe or Australia, which already is coping with an influx of Afghan boat people. Some 38,000 people from Afghanistan have managed to get into industrialized nations to apply for asylum last year, more than from any other country, according to the U.N., and the highest figure since the U.S. invasion in 2001.

"The desperation is incredible," says Richard Danziger, the Afghanistan head of the International Organization for Migration, a U.N. affiliate that is helping resettle the refugees.

A confidential preliminary report drafted by the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees and reviewed by The Wall Street Journal describes a scenario that would see some 200,000 Afghan refugees fleeing to Pakistan and Iran next year.

"If we keep on the current trajectory, there will be one million displaced people over the next two or three years," says Aidan O'Leary, the Afghanistan head of the U.N. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs.

"We are expecting emigration to increase," says Jamahir Anwari, Afghanistan's minister of refugees, whose own family is split between Turkey and Sweden. "This worries us."

Faced with a rising tide of displaced people, the Afghan government recently drafted a policy to help resettle them inside the country, which is awaiting cabinet approval.

Some of the displaced say the violence there is as bad as it has been since the Soviets invaded Afghanistan in 1979.

Why i cant see the full article?

Please Post the full article

So @Hyperion @Secur @LoveIcon - If I propose that the Refugees who come from Afghanistan after 2014 be used to make chicken feed for my poultry farms tou koiiii objections tou nahin ? :unsure:

Not by grinding them of course but instead using them as cheap labour ! :pissed:

But come to think of it the former wouldn't be such a bad idea either ! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, whosoever came after the Russia's withdrawal, needs to be made into chicken feed. My amnesty is only valid for those who came up until that time, or were born in Pakistan. Rest need to be squashed and made dog food! :D

So @Hyperion @Secur @LoveIcon - If I propose that the Refugees who come from Afghanistan after 2014 be used to make chicken feed for my poultry farms tou koiiii objections tou nahin ? :unsure:

Not by grinding them of course but instead using them as cheap labour ! :pissed:

But come to think of it the former wouldn't be such a bad idea either ! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
We should commission a train called bhai bhai axprass that takes them refugees to India.
I hear they are treated very well there . So, imagine over 2 mil. refugees get a brotherly
home to live in for a few decades! Now, thats really love...

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom