What's new

[WOW WOW] Ford starts customer deliveries of the F-150 Lightning electric pickup truck

Hamartia Antidote

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States
The Ford-150 is the top selling vehicle in the US..now they have an electric version. If anything will push the US into the EV world this will be it.

Ford-F-150-Lightning-electric-pickup-first-deliveries.jpg

The electric pickup trucks are coming. Ford has officially started delivering the F-150 Lightning electric pickup truck to retail and fleet customers.

At Electrek, we have been talking for years about how electric pickup trucks are needed to accelerate EV adoption in the US, purely because of how big the pickup segment is in the country.

After years, it’s finally happening.

Rivian started delivering the R1T electric pickup late last year. It’s still slowly ramping up production and already has a few thousand vehicles delivered.

Now Ford is starting deliveries of the F-150 Lightning, which is extremely exciting since it is an electric version of the F-150, the best-selling passenger vehicle in the US.

Ford announced that it started production of the electric pickup truck last month, and they have since made their way to dealerships across the US. Some were delivered to fleet customers, but now we learned that the automaker started deliveries to its retail customers as well. The very first retail customer reported their delivery of the F-150 Lightning Forum, pictured above.

The Michigan resident reserved a Platinum Trim Lightning on May 20, 2021, and the reservation was transferred into order on January 7, 2022. It was built on April 18, 2022 – before Ford actually announced the start of production – and finally delivered this morning May 26, 2022.

As we previously reported, Ford quickly accumulated 200,000 reservations for the electric pickup and realized that the demand was much higher than anticipated. The company quickly ramped up its production and is now planning for an annual production rate of 150,000 units by the end of next year. This year, production is expected to be limited to about 40,000 units.

While this is not much compared to overall F-150 production, it is good to jump-start electric pickup trucks in the US. Next year, the Silverado Electric, Tesla Cybertruck, and more are expected to contribute to the electric pickup truck revolution in the US

~$40K entry level

Last edited:

Ford-F-150-Lightning-electric-pickup-first-deliveries.jpg

The electric pickup trucks are coming. Ford has officially started delivering the F-150 Lightning electric pickup truck to retail and fleet customers.

At Electrek, we have been talking for years about how electric pickup trucks are needed to accelerate EV adoption in the US, purely because of how big the pickup segment is in the country.

After years, it’s finally happening.

Rivian started delivering the R1T electric pickup late last year. It’s still slowly ramping up production and already has a few thousand vehicles delivered.

Now Ford is starting deliveries of the F-150 Lightning, which is extremely exciting since it is an electric version of the F-150, the best-selling passenger vehicle in the US.

Ford announced that it started production of the electric pickup truck last month, and they have since made their way to dealerships across the US. Some were delivered to fleet customers, but now we learned that the automaker started deliveries to its retail customers as well. The very first retail customer reported their delivery of the F-150 Lightning Forum, pictured above.

The Michigan resident reserved a Platinum Trim Lightning on May 20, 2021, and the reservation was transferred into order on January 7, 2022. It was built on April 18, 2022 – before Ford actually announced the start of production – and finally delivered this morning May 26, 2022.

As we previously reported, Ford quickly accumulated 200,000 reservations for the electric pickup and realized that the demand was much higher than anticipated. The company quickly ramped up its production and is now planning for an annual production rate of 150,000 units by the end of next year. This year, production is expected to be limited to about 40,000 units.

While this is not much compared to overall F-150 production, it is good to jump-start electric pickup trucks in the US. Next year, the Silverado Electric, Tesla Cybertruck, and more are expected to contribute to the electric pickup truck revolution in the US

what's the range and power?

@Gomig-21 so do you think it will be a winner or a loser in your eyes

Platinum version ($90K)

572hp 4.3 sec 0-60...in this huge thing..holy crap WTF!!!

10,000lb towing..that's not the best...that good enough for your big boat Gomig?

Last edited:
If I wasn't broke, I would 100% buy it.

Funny thing is that my tacoma is much more expensive then this. So.. I am thinking... Should I still wait for cyber truck...
For me, tesla is now a big no-no.

At this point, I just can't morally justify supporting Tesla due to Elon Musk's disgusting behavior.

Also, I didn't know the Tacoma was that expensive, that actually surprising.

Large vehicle will consume more energy versus a smaller vehicle. Especially when you don't need a large vehicle for work.

Gluttony is soo widespread, if people were more conscious about their purchases then everything would be more affordable.

@Gomig-21 so do you think it will be a winner or a loser in your eyes

Yeah man, it's definitely awesome. 442 HP & 770 ft/lbs./torque on electric is insane. The $90K upfront is a little steep, but at the rate gas prices are going and especially the crudest of all but the highest demanded gas in diesel currently at $6.29 / gallon, you'll end up making that back and then some where it only costs you $20 to charge it and get 300 miles out of that charge.

All in all Ford just knows how to do it. They're R&D & marketing team and especially engineers are second to none.

My 2015 F-450 dually is perfectly fine for me and what I need to do with my business, but eventually with gas going the way it has been, I might consider the electric alternative in the distant future.

572hp 4.3 sec 0-60...in this huge thing..holy crap WTF!!!

10,000lb towing..that's not the best...that good enough for your big boat Gomig?

Hahaha. Still a little short for the boat because you gotta add the trailer also and we're over the 10K mark. Essentially the reason for going with the dually. You want to surpass the towing weight and not just be right at it because it will still struggle if you're just above the numbers. You'll feel the strain.

I went by the numbers that were written on the video, but these are even better wow. Maybe the others were for the XL and not the Platinum.

Last edited:
For me, tesla is now a big no-no.

At this point, I just can't morally justify supporting Tesla due to Elon Musk's disgusting behavior.

Also, I didn't know the Tacoma was that expensive, that actually surprising.
Depends on the tacoma. I have upgrades also that I have performed myself. Right now my investment on it is about 60k

My 2015 F-450 dually is perfectly fine for me and what I need to do with my business, but eventually with gas going the way it has been, I might consider the electric alternative in the distant future.

LOL! For those PDF members that don't understand ..Gomig owns a monster of a truck.

F-450 Dually. This guy's head barely clears the top of the steering wheel.

Last edited:
LOL! For those PDF members that don't understand ..Gomig owns a monster of a truck.

F-450 Dually. This guy's head barely clears the top of the steering wheel.
I don't think it is a great option for outdoors and stuff. Mostly a show piece as it gargles with gas before it even starts.

Ford F-150 Lightning review: A watershed moment for electric vehicles​

Image of a Ford F-150 Lightning electric pickup with a tent on the roof and the open frunk stuffed with gear. Ford's F-150 Lightning's frunk stores gear in a secure, dry place. Photo courtesy of Ford
Ford's F-150 Lightning — which is just hitting the market — is more than simply another pickup truck: It's poised to open the floodgates for electric vehicle adoption in the U.S. by showing how much an EV can do.

Why it matters: While Tesla started the EV revolution, Ford will likely get credit for taking these vehicles mainstream. Priced just under $40,000, the F-150 Lightning is a versatile and affordable gateway product that can (sometimes) be charged in under an hour.

What's happening: Ford is overhauling its F-Series pickup truck — America's best-selling vehicle — by ripping out the engine and transmission and replacing it with an electric powertrain.

• It's a bet-the-company move that, if all goes as planned, will attract buyers who never considered an EV — or a pickup — before.
So far, it looks like a success: Ford has taken nearly 200,000 reservations and already bumped up production capacity twice, hoping to hit an annual rate of 150,000 by next year.

The big picture: Ford sells 900,000 gasoline-powered F-Series trucks per year, bringing in more than $40 billion in annual revenue — more than companies like McDonalds, Nike and Coca-Cola.

• There are 16.4 million of them in operation — 5.8% of all vehicles on the road.
Ford is not the first to deliver an electric truck; General Motors' GMC Hummer and Rivian's R1T beat them to market. But those are fun, expensive toys.

• The Ford Lightning's starting price is half of the Rivian and far less than the six-figure Hummer, putting it within reach for many.
Situational awareness: I flew to Texas, the truck capital of America, last week to be among the first to try the new electric F-150.

• I drove from downtown San Antonio through suburban stop-and-go traffic, then north on I-10 to explore the rolling hills of central Texas and the Singing Water vineyards, where I went off-roading — pretty much every kind of driving scenario you can imagine.
  • I even used the Lightning to tow a 24-foot electric speedboat — 8,600 pounds, including the trailer — in the Hill Country and on the freeway.
Details: The Lightning comes with two battery choices — a 230-mile standard range and a 320-mile extended range — and four trim levels. I tried them all, from the $39,974 Lightning Pro work truck for fleet customers all the way up to the $90,874 Platinum edition.

• Charging time ranges from 15 hours with a 240-volt wall outlet to about 40 minutes at a public 150-kW fast-charging station.
The "mega power frunk" — or front trunk — could be the Lightning's biggest selling point:

• All EVs have a front trunk where the engine is normally found, but Ford's is massive: It's got 14 cubic feet of space, with room for 400 pounds of cargo, plus a deep well with a drain that doubles as a cooler.
  • Push the key fob and it opens wide like a lion's mouth. It easily fits two sets of golf clubs, or valuable tools and equipment you don't want to store in the bed.
It's also a source of power, with up to 11 outlets onboard to power tools, camping gear — even your house or your neighbor's EV in a pinch.

Yes, but: Towing a nearly 9,000-pound boat cut the truck's 320-mile battery range to 157 miles.

The bottom line: The Ford F-150 Lightning is the most anticipated vehicle in decades — and, so far at least, lives up to the hype.

Editor’s note: The annual revenue figure that Ford derives from its F series trucks has been corrected: It is $40 billion, not $40 million.

Back
Top Bottom