What's new

World’s first 3D-printer gun fired

BDforever

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
The world's first gun made with 3D printer technology has been successfully fired in the US.

liberator5.jpg

The controversial group which created the firearm, Defense Distributed, plans to make the blueprints available online.

The group has spent a year trying to create the firearm, which was successfully tested on Saturday at a firing range south of Austin, Texas.

Anti-gun campaigners have criticised the project.

Europe's law enforcement agency said it was monitoring developments.

Victoria Baines, from Europol's cybercrime centre, said that at present criminals were more likely to pursue traditional routes to obtain firearms.

She added, however: "But as time goes on and as this technology becomes more user friendly and more cost effective, it is possible that some of these risks will emerge."

Defense Distributed is headed by Cody Wilson, a 25-year-old law student at the University of Texas.

Mr Wilson said: "I think a lot of people weren't expecting that this could be done."3D printing has been hailed as the future of manufacturing.

The technology works by building up layer upon layer of material - typically plastic - to build complex solid objects.

The idea is that as the printers become cheaper, instead of buying goods from shops, consumers will instead be able to download designs and print out the items at home.

But as with all new technologies, there are risks as well as benefits.
Personal liberties

The gun was made on a 3D printer that cost $8,000 (£5,140) from the online auction site eBay.

It was assembled from separate printed components made from ABS plastic - only the firing pin was made from metal.

Mr Wilson, who describes himself as a crypto-anarchist, said his plans to make the design available were "about liberty".

He told the BBC: "There is a demand of guns - there just is. There are states all over the world that say you can't own firearms - and that's not true anymore.

"I'm seeing a world where technology says you can pretty much be able to have whatever you want. It's not up to the political players any more."

Asked if he felt any sense of responsibility about whose hands the gun might fall into, he told the BBC: "I recognise the tool might be used to harm other people - that's what the tool is - it's a gun.

"But I don't think that's a reason to not do it - or a reason not to put it out there."

source: BBC News - Working gun made with 3D printer

If you can download a gun, don't think it might be that far off to download a bullet.

The Pirate Bay is going to become a world power soon......

lol, actually, they have their own wiki to download guns from. I think it's called wiki weapons, the site is pretty much legal because there is currently no legislation in any country that prohibits this activity.

As for the bullets, you'd need to learn how to make gun powder, which is something I would not recommend at all. Even if it is allowed where you live and you mean to use it for recreational purposes, home made gun powder can be highly corrosive, thus it can damage your gun's internals quite badly.

...Also, my mouse just broke and I have to use the crappy touch surface on my laptop :(

lol, actually, they have their own wiki to download guns from. I think it's called wiki weapons, the site is pretty much legal because there is currently no legislation in any country that prohibits this activity.

As for the bullets, you'd need to learn how to make gun powder, which is something I would not recommend at all. Even if it is allowed where you live and you mean to use it for recreational purposes, home made gun powder can be highly corrosive, thus it can damage your gun's internals quite badly.

...Also, my mouse just broke and I have to use the crappy touch surface on my laptop :(

That's thing you assume you need gunpowder to fire said gun, why do you limit yourself in the box?

That's thing you assume you need gunpowder to fire said gun, why do you limit yourself in the box?

No, you need gunpowder for the bullet which would ignites when the striking pin shits the center of the back of the bullets...difference.

Anyways, until a type of lethal bullet is invented that doesn't require any sort of gun powder, I shall continue to hold to my beliefs.

By the way, is your avatar even allowed? You'd think that the mods would be pissed off at it. :/

vice did a documentary on this guy, then his website was taken down by the US government and charges were pressed. He printed p"parts" of the gun that were restricted.

His "gun" broke after 30 shots.

vice did a documentary on this guy, then his website was taken down by the US government and charges were pressed. He printed p"parts" of the gun that were restricted.

His "gun" broke after 30 shots.

All those issues have been resolved, and the new guns work just fine. They've managed to shoot 600 rounds with minimal damage to the gun frame. They have a youtube page, but I don't really endorse what these guys are doing, so I'm not gonna link it. If you want to find out, just google it.

No, you need gunpowder for the bullet which would ignites when the striking pin shits the center of the back of the bullets...difference.

Anyways, until a type of lethal bullet is invented that doesn't require any sort of gun powder, I shall continue to hold to my beliefs.

By the way, is your avatar even allowed? You'd think that the mods would be pissed off at it. :/

Why do you assume that a micro explosion is the only bullet propulsion? Just think about it for a minute, I mean you can use a hard plastic bullet propelled through pressure release, and I just made this idea on the fly. Trap enough air into a chamber to create extremelly high relative pressure, and then release it suddenly which will create high enough energy to propel the bullet forward extremelly fast enough to penetrate soft tissue, I am sure there are a million other ways to envision a completely downloadable and printed gun to work.

Why do you assume that a micro explosion is the only bullet propulsion? Just think about it for a minute, I mean you can use a hard plastic bullet propelled through pressure release, and I just made this idea on the fly. Trap enough air into a chamber to create extremelly high relative pressure, and then release it suddenly which will create high enough energy to propel the bullet forward extremelly fast enough to penetrate soft tissue, I am sure there are a million other ways to envision a completely downloadable and printed gun to work.

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/guns-c...first-3d-printer-gun-fired.html#ixzz2Sax6so2s

Million diffident ways lol, sry not true, 3rd printed gun only work in the realm of polymers ,and polymers have massive limitations.

Presurised containers ? no u still need energy to fill air into it and not as reliable as lets say metal ?. BB guns and air soft guns are nothing new.
A fully 3d printed gun would only probably look like a sling shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pity that this technology isn't being used for medical advances.

As far as guns go, I don't give a hoot until I see energy-based weapons :cheesy:

But is it practical and cheap? Again, until this idea becomes a reality, I think i'll stick with my original comment thanks.

Back
Top Bottom