What's new

WORLD FACTS Countries With The Shortest Average Heights

Baby Leone

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
10. Nigeria (5 feet, 3.75 inches)
Nigeria is also trying its best to improve its population's average height of 5 feet, 3.75 inches when including both genders. The Sahel region is worst hit by malnutrition, which accounts for the stunting of Nigerian children's growth. Figures show that about 1.1 million children are undernourished in the country, much of which is characterized by an arid environment. The UNICEF continues to monitor the situation in Nigeria, but sectarian violence, especially along the northern borders, has affected their efforts. Environmental factors like a lack of clean water and unsanitary conditions does not help either. Studies show that people taken to a safe and clean place, and fed the same nutrient-rich diet as their fellow natives, ultimately reach the natives' physical health and growth. That is a testament to the importance of hygiene and sanitation to good health and growth when all else is equal.

9. Iraq (5 feet, 3.25 inches)
Iraq has struggled in improving its population's average height of 5 feet, 3.25 inches when including both genders. A Norwegian research study showed that, since the war broke out with the US in 2003, malnutrition has increased to a high 7%, comparable to many sub-Saharan African countries. What was once a thriving nation has been reduced to a Third World country, with 400,000 children malnourished and thusly increasingly vulnerable to diseases. About 6.5 million Iraqis today are on food rations, and many of these rations are in turn exchanged for similarly much needed medicine. With ongoing civil war and domestic conflict, cultural norms have been all but neglected entirely, and so too have the normal environments that foster kinship and family ties. Children now weigh 11 pounds below norms, with many being bed-ridden with all kinds of intestinal maladies due to unsanitary living conditions.

8. Malaysia (5 feet, 2.75 inches)
Malaysia has seen the link between malnutrition and the average height of its population, which currently stands at 5 feet, 2.75 inches when including both genders. Statistics show that 12.5% of children in Malaysia are underweight, while 400,000 are stunted in height. These figures partly account for the stunted average height of Malaysian people in adulthood. Environmental factors, such as poor sanitation, diseases, a lack of clean water, proper housing, and food shortages, all contribute to the problem. Those hardest hit are the many families living well below the poverty line.

7. Vietnam (5 feet, 2.5 inches)
Vietnam has for several decades now been struggling to improve its population's average height of 5 feet, 2.5 inches when including both genders. Although the country has been making progress in that regard, malnutrition is still rampant. Demography is one of the factors that makes the problem difficult to eradicate ther, especially in isolated mountain communities. ChildFund in Vietnam has made small, yet significant, strides in helping by providing milk to these communities' children. Internal strife has certainly taken a toll on its population's health as well.

6. India (5 feet, 2.25 inches)
India has been taking steps in addressing issues that could improve its population's low average height, which is but 5 feet, 2.25 inches when including both genders. In India, cultural and environmental issues often affect its children's health, and in turn these can lead to malnutrition issues. The National Family Health study showed that 43.5% of Indian children are underweight, while 47.9% are stunted in stature. Despite the figures, many children survive in the country due to better health systems than in many other developing countries. Malnourished mothers are also commonly seen passing these conditions on to their predisposed children.

5. Peru (5 feet, 2 inches)
Peru also sees short statures in South America, with its adult population reaching 5 feet, 2 inches in average height when including both genders. In Peru, malnourished children most often come from the jungle and highland communities. Famine, disease, and cultural issues add to the problem. Poverty, food insecurity, and low agricultural productivity also affects the Peruvian malnutrition issue. The results of these often lead to stunting in growth, negative educational achievement, and low career productivity. Health services and school feeding programs are non-accessible to many, due to poverty and demography.

4. Sri Lanka (5 feet, 1.5 inches)
Sri Lanka has an adult population with an average height of 5 feet, 1.5 inches when including both genders. Adult height is mostly determined by good nutrition in childhood, and a recent nutritional study showed that children's nutritional health has not changed much for the better over the past 10 years. Other factors, such as childhood diseases, also contribute to the problem. Cultural and environmental factors also might be a cause of malnutrition, like poor nutrition due to traditional food sources and cuisine that lacks the right nutrients. Obesity can also result from the wrong food choices, all the while not supplying enough nutrients despite excess calories. The children of the rich in the country also have a malnutrition rate of 11.9%, and mothers themselves are often the deciding factor where a child's nutritional needs are concerned.

3. Philippines (5 feet, 1.5 inches)
The Philippines has severe malnutrition problems that has affected its general population's adult height, which is currently averaging only 5 feet, 1.5 inches when including both genders. The Department of Education recently released figures that show 1.8 million Filipino children are malnourished, and this could lead to abnormalities such as stunting and school drop-outs. Studies show that the problem is especially prevalent in the event early age pregnancies, where the mother is not fully physically equipped for childbirth and childcare. The result is that the likelihood of this situation being repeated in the next generation is high. Although feeding programs have been launched, funds are not adequate enough.

2. Indonesia (4 feet, 11.75 inches)
Indonesia's population includes some of Asia's shortest people, which stands at an average height of 4 feet, 11.75 inches when including both genders. This trend has become generational, as many children in Indonesia continue to be malnourished. Stunting is seen in many developing countries and reflected in the "normal" heights of their respective people, but research shows that children's growth is largely linked to good nutrition. Educational achievement and career success also depend on good food, and that, in turn, leads to a country's economic growth. The UNICEF is currently supporting a food program in Indonesia that would address the issue.

1. Bolivia (4 feet, 11.5 inches)
Bolivia has some of the shortest people in stature in the world, with its population's height averaging 4 feet, 11.5 inches tall when including both genders. The country is one of the poorest in South America, and one in three children under the age of five years are affected with chronic malnutrition, often leading to below average heights. Genetics and hormonal factors are also seen as culprits as well, with Bolivian girls being more affected than boys. Statistics on births from the City Hall of La Paz, Bolivia showed that 42% of babies had short height at birth as well. Canada, Belgium, and France have stepped in and created a food program to help alleviate the malnutrition in Bolivia.

http://www.worldatlas.com/articles/countries-with-the-shortest-average-heights.html

no thailand/cambodia? I have not met any tall indonesian either.

no thailand/cambodia? I have not met any tall indonesian either.
Indonesians are on the list.

Chinese are actually as per research a taller than indians... infact the new soldiers are finding it hard to fit in old chinese tanks..

I think I’m comparing the tourists that come here, but the Chinese from here are slightly tall.

Military Expansion: China's Soldiers Outgrow Their Tanks and Guns

By Hannah Beech
February 19, 2014
Soldiers in China’s People’s Liberation Army (PLA) have grown so big that they no longer fit comfortably in their tanks, according to new research by the military’s General Armament Department. After surveying some 20,000 ground-force soldiers, the PLA found that their average physique had increased by 2 cm in height and 5 cm in waist girth over the past two decades.

(MORE: How China Sees The World)

This expansion makes tanks that were designed 30 years ago too “cramped,” while rifle stocks are too short for today’s arms, compromising accuracy, according to the PLA Daily. (Yes, China’s armed forces has its own widely circulated newspaper.)

Chairman Mao, he of the not insignificant waistline, boasted in the 1950s about the PLA’s sheer strength in numbers. Mao was referring to China’s ability to pour human waves of troops into the Korean War in hopes of overwhelming the enemy. (The tactic cost hundreds of thousands of Chinese lives and ended with the military stalemate in the Koreas that endures today.)

Decades ago, for many a struggling Chinese farmboy, the promise of military rations was enough to make a career in the PLA irresistible. In an era of economic reform and growth, today’s Chinese no longer have to worry about simply filling their bellies. Nutrition has improved to the point where all Chinese — not just soldiers — have grown significantly taller and wider.

Nevertheless, the PLA still commands the largest force in the world, with 1.48 million personnel. Now to cope with their growing physiques, the PLA will begin reconfiguring its armaments and equipment, said the report — just one more reason for the double-digit budget hikes China’s military has enjoyed over the years.

http://time.com/8158/military-expansion-chinas-soldiers-outgrow-their-tanks-and-guns/

I think I’m comparing the tourists that come here, but the Chinese from here are slightly tall.
Pak has/had lost atleast 4 inches in the past 5 decades..
Height of Pakistanis has fallen 4 inches over 50 years, say experts

By Shamsul Islam
Published: May 7, 2012
2SHARES
SHARE TWEET EMAIL
375257-shortpakistan-1336398238-712-640x480.jpg

Cousin marriages, malnutrition have led to height decrease, reveals Professor Dr Iqrar Ahmad Khan.

FAISALABAD: The average height of Pakistanis has fallen four inches over the last 50 years due to malnourishment and food deficiency.

This was revealed in a workshop on “Applied Nature Need Based research Projects of Food Industries” organized by National Institute of Food Science & Technology (NIFSAT) University of Agriculture, Faisalabad here on Monday.

Speaking on the occasion, Vice Chancellor, UAF Professor Dr Iqrar Ahmad Khan, said that cousin marriages were also one of the reasons for the short stature of Pakistanis. He urged the need for new diet packages to be introduced for balanced, affordable food.

Dr Iqrar also expressed concerns over existing eating habits, saying 50 years ago, large amounts of corn flour was traditionally consumed, but over time, Pakistanis had lost the mechanism to cook roti with corn flour, which was a cheaper, healthier staple food item.

Dr Iqrar revealed that a BSc (Hons) Human Nutrition and Dietetics and Food Engineering degree was being initiated for the first time in the country. He hoped that by introducing new disciplines, a trained human resource would be available for the food industry.

Speaking on the occasion, Mehboob Aly Manji, President, VITA Pakistan stressed the need to exploit the indigenous food potential by introducing fruits drinks such as Falsa, Luqat and Jaman. He said that floriculture practices could be most beneficial in uplifting the living standards of small farmers. Manji said Pakistan was exporting 80-90 tons of flowers to Saudi Arabia every year, and this volume could be increased by promoting and incentivizing floriculture.

Professor Dr Faqir Muhammad Anjum, Director General (NIFSAT) said that Nestle Pakistan and VITA Food have signed MOU’s to promote skill development initiatives through short courses.

“NIFSAT has conducted 12 national and international symposia, seminars and workshops during the last year with the collaboration of industries,” he added.

Dr Muhammad Shafique Ch. Director, RAMNA Food, Lahore stressed the need for a value addition mechanism, keeping in view the demand of consumers.

He expressed his concerns over the Punjab government’s decision to purchase 2.5 million ton of wheat this year, given that 4.5 million tons of wheat was stored in the province.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

90s (my our our) gen is short compared to the gen growing up?

Im 6.. so i feel taller compared to most of my friends... but when im around my cousins who are like in their teenage... I feel short and jealous..

Last edited:

The Chinese are getting taller and Pakistanis getting shorter. All due to the quality of food we consume.

I had interactions with loads of Chinese during my time in UK and they were not short by any means.

The Chinese are getting taller and Pakistanis getting shorter. All due to the quality of food we consume.

I had interactions with loads of Chinese during my time in UK and they were not short by any means.

Pakistani’s in rural ends are tall I think it’s because they stick organic intake and everything in terms of milk, wheat etc is all real without contamination.

But the ones in Islamabad/Lahore weren’t great in height. I have an average height for a female in UK. But even there I felt taller than most Pakistanis girls and guys lol

Military Expansion: China's Soldiers Outgrow Their Tanks and Guns

By Hannah Beech
February 19, 2014
Soldiers in China’s People’s Liberation Army (PLA) have grown so big that they no longer fit comfortably in their tanks, according to new research by the military’s General Armament Department. After surveying some 20,000 ground-force soldiers, the PLA found that their average physique had increased by 2 cm in height and 5 cm in waist girth over the past two decades.

(MORE: How China Sees The World)

This expansion makes tanks that were designed 30 years ago too “cramped,” while rifle stocks are too short for today’s arms, compromising accuracy, according to the PLA Daily. (Yes, China’s armed forces has its own widely circulated newspaper.)

Chairman Mao, he of the not insignificant waistline, boasted in the 1950s about the PLA’s sheer strength in numbers. Mao was referring to China’s ability to pour human waves of troops into the Korean War in hopes of overwhelming the enemy. (The tactic cost hundreds of thousands of Chinese lives and ended with the military stalemate in the Koreas that endures today.)

Decades ago, for many a struggling Chinese farmboy, the promise of military rations was enough to make a career in the PLA irresistible. In an era of economic reform and growth, today’s Chinese no longer have to worry about simply filling their bellies. Nutrition has improved to the point where all Chinese — not just soldiers — have grown significantly taller and wider.

Nevertheless, the PLA still commands the largest force in the world, with 1.48 million personnel. Now to cope with their growing physiques, the PLA will begin reconfiguring its armaments and equipment, said the report — just one more reason for the double-digit budget hikes China’s military has enjoyed over the years.

http://time.com/8158/military-expansion-chinas-soldiers-outgrow-their-tanks-and-guns/

Pak has/had lost atleast 4 inches in the past 5 decades..

By Shamsul Islam
Published: May 7, 2012
2SHARES
SHARE TWEET EMAIL
375257-shortpakistan-1336398238-712-640x480.jpg

Cousin marriages, malnutrition have led to height decrease, reveals Professor Dr Iqrar Ahmad Khan.

FAISALABAD: The average height of Pakistanis has fallen four inches over the last 50 years due to malnourishment and food deficiency.

This was revealed in a workshop on “Applied Nature Need Based research Projects of Food Industries” organized by National Institute of Food Science & Technology (NIFSAT) University of Agriculture, Faisalabad here on Monday.

Speaking on the occasion, Vice Chancellor, UAF Professor Dr Iqrar Ahmad Khan, said that cousin marriages were also one of the reasons for the short stature of Pakistanis. He urged the need for new diet packages to be introduced for balanced, affordable food.

Dr Iqrar also expressed concerns over existing eating habits, saying 50 years ago, large amounts of corn flour was traditionally consumed, but over time, Pakistanis had lost the mechanism to cook roti with corn flour, which was a cheaper, healthier staple food item.

Dr Iqrar revealed that a BSc (Hons) Human Nutrition and Dietetics and Food Engineering degree was being initiated for the first time in the country. He hoped that by introducing new disciplines, a trained human resource would be available for the food industry.

Speaking on the occasion, Mehboob Aly Manji, President, VITA Pakistan stressed the need to exploit the indigenous food potential by introducing fruits drinks such as Falsa, Luqat and Jaman. He said that floriculture practices could be most beneficial in uplifting the living standards of small farmers. Manji said Pakistan was exporting 80-90 tons of flowers to Saudi Arabia every year, and this volume could be increased by promoting and incentivizing floriculture.

Professor Dr Faqir Muhammad Anjum, Director General (NIFSAT) said that Nestle Pakistan and VITA Food have signed MOU’s to promote skill development initiatives through short courses.

“NIFSAT has conducted 12 national and international symposia, seminars and workshops during the last year with the collaboration of industries,” he added.

Dr Muhammad Shafique Ch. Director, RAMNA Food, Lahore stressed the need for a value addition mechanism, keeping in view the demand of consumers.

He expressed his concerns over the Punjab government’s decision to purchase 2.5 million ton of wheat this year, given that 4.5 million tons of wheat was stored in the province.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

90s (my our our) gen is short compared to the gen growing up?

Im 6.. so i feel taller compared to most of my friends... but when im around my cousins who are like in their teenage... I feel short and jealous..

You probably don’t have cousin Marriages happening in the family lol which is a good thing

Food we eat, how much physical activity we do and who we choose as partners.

I thought it was the Chinese

If you ever visited Northern China, you wouldn't have such impression, most of British Chinese are from Guangdong, Hongkong where people are relatively short.

Last edited:
Pakistani’s in rural ends are tall I think it’s because they stick organic intake and everything in terms of milk, wheat etc is all real without contamination.

But the ones in Islamabad/Lahore weren’t great in height. I have an average height for a female in UK. But even there I felt taller than most Pakistanis girls and guys lol

You probably don’t have cousin Marriages happening in the family lol which is a good thing
Only 1 such union exists in my extended family... one of my cousin married his cousin.

How tall are you?

Im 6, my wife is 5'7+..

Back
Top Bottom