What's new

world cup 2011

abdulrafi

Reaction score
Pakistan cricket attacks raise doubts over World Cup
Updated at: 1350 PST, Tuesday, March 03, 2009
NEW DELHI: The attack on Sri Lanka's cricket team in Pakistan on Tuesday has rocked the South Asian heartland of the international game and raised stark security concerns over the 2011 World Cup.

That showpiece event is due to be jointly hosted by India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh, the four cricket-obsessed Test nations that make up the sport's financial nerve centre.

But Tuesday's attack is likely to eliminate Pakistan as an international cricket venue for the foreseeable future, and the other three nations would be hard pushed to make a convincing case that they can offer sufficient security guarantees.

India, which generates an estimated 70 percent of cricket's worldwide revenues, had its security credentials shredded by the Mumbai attacks last November which coincided with a tour by the England team.

One of the main targets of the attacks, when gunmen killed 165 people, was the Taj Mahal Hotel, where the England players had stayed on arrival.

Sri Lanka is struggling to finish off a long-running conflict with Tamil Tiger rebels while Bangladesh is recovering from a mutiny in the armed forces that turned part of the capital Dhaka into a battleground last week.

Seven Sri Lankan cricketers were injured when gunmen opened fire on their bus as it headed to the Gaddafi stadium in Lahore for the third day's play in the second Test against Pakistan.

The International Cricket Council (ICC) condemned Tuesday's attack, which killed six policemen and two civilians.

ICC chief executive Haroon Lorgat said the deaths were "a source of great sadness" and that it was "very upsetting for the wider cricket family" that some of the Sri Lanka players and a match official were injured.

Pakistan cricket attacks raise doubts over World Cup

it will change venue of world cup and it will not be south asia i guess.

There are no doubts. World cup is gone! Or will probably be held only in India and Bangladesh. But Pakistan is out of hosting. THanks to all the terrorists holding your country hostage and your peace initiatives with terrorists.

There are no doubts. World cup is gone! Or will probably be held only in India and Bangladesh. But Pakistan is out of hosting. THanks to all the terrorists holding your country hostage and your peace initiatives with terrorists.

That's a good point.

India will now get all the revenue for the world cup, instead of Pakistan getting half of it.

couldnt have worked out better for India!!

I don't think it is appropriate talking about hosting the world cup at this moment in time. When people's lives are being lost on a daily basis, where would one place the world cup in the scheme of things?

India will not get worldcup alone. India dont really have such infrastructure on its our own.And world cup was to come to south asia not india. Even if there is anychance of india hosting world cup. i doubt lanka or pakistan will vote in favor of this.
But i agree world cup is gone for sure.

WRONG THREAD- I request mods to PLEASE MOVE THIS out of such serious section.

India will not get worldcup alone. India dont really have such infrastructure on its our own.And world cup was to come to south asia not india. Even if there is anychance of india hosting world cup. i doubt lanka or pakistan will vote in favor of this.
But i agree world cup is gone for sure.

We would have decent infrastructure by 2010 before commonwealth games.

Foo do u know - i seen the prepration of common wealth and i am really scared it will be a bad outcome. we are not really in position to hold common wealth. And mr kalmadi said we need world cup and olympics too.
Anyways cricket worldcup hosting has a voting system and i doubt india will win this vote thing. because we normally get votes from our asian sides and west indies.

Convenient. you can only have decent infrastructure until after next year.

Before that it's not possible so India wouldn't gain :)

Foo do u know - i seen the prepration of common wealth and i am really scared it will be a bad outcome. we are not really in position to hold common wealth. And mr kalmadi said we need world cup and olympics too.
Anyways cricket worldcup hosting has a voting system and i doubt india will win this vote thing. because we normally get votes from our asian sides and west indies.

Lol. I agree, but twhen national prestige is at stake, nothing is left short.

World Cup has already been decided to be hosted in the subcontinent. Look at the subcontinent and you see a ring of fire around India. Most countries will agree to tour India but not Bangladesh, Pakistan and Srilanka. Its different when India says we'll gaurantee you security. Remember the security cover in delhi when olympic torch came? Im not saying they are similar but I think we follow up on what we speak.

Pakistan should still fight to host the World Cup. We have done nothing wrong, lets not accept punishment for someone else's crimes.

Convenient. you can only have decent infrastructure until after next year.

Before that it's not possible so India wouldn't gain :)

Work is 70% complete as of date.I'm confident we can pull it off. About the world cup. Its gonna be BCCI's magic, cuz BCCI has all the money. ICC cant do **** if BCCI doesnt agree.
And we must host cuz then the entire subcontinent will have to deal with tthe shame.

Pakistan should not even try hosting it, as it is evident no team would be willing to tour Pakistan.

Rather we should unilaliterally announce that we are not interested in holding the cup due to our concerns for other teams, and when the security situation is better, we ourselves will invite them again.

This, I feel, would give Pakistan more credibility.

Work is 70% complete as of date.I'm confident we can pull it off. About the world cup. Its gonna be BCCI's magic, cuz BCCI has all the money. ICC cant do **** if BCCI doesnt agree.
And we must host cuz then the entire subcontinent will have to deal with tthe shame.

What better way to kick the economy a little, accelerate development, create more jobs, and get all of Pakistan's lot of visitors and $$ for the world cup!!

We're talking about squeezing 1 year's worth of work into half a year. Quite possible :agree:

On the other side, Pakistan isn't going to get a share of the world cup. It's over, and no team is going to tour it.

Pakistan should not even try hosting it, as it is evident no team would be willing to tour Pakistan.

Rather we should unilaliterally announce that we are not interested in holding the cup due to our concerns for other teams, and when the security situation is better, we ourselves will invite them again.

This, I feel, would give Pakistan more credibility.

I agree, no point in risking the lives of international players....we should not host the cup until and unless we dont get a better law and order in the country...Thank God the lankans got through...what would happen if terrorists get successful? It would be more shameful for us...:pakistan:

Back
Top Bottom