What's new

Work on submarine-fired ICBM in advanced stage:DRDO Chief

sudhir007

Reaction score
defence eXpress: Work on submarine-fired ICBM in advanced stage:DRDO Chief

DRDO Chief Dr. VK Saraswat said that the work on the naval variant of the Long Range Strategic Missile (a moniker given by India to the Agni-V launched on April 20) was in "advanced" stage.

With indigenous nuclear-attack submarine, INS Arihant (meaning destroyer of enemies) ready to get operational in another two years time, the DRDO Chief assured that when the nuke submarine comes out it will come out with all weapons. "There will be no gap," said the DRDO Chief.

AGNI-V+LAUNCH+%285%29.JPG

Revealing the story behind Agni-V, with a range of 5,000 km plus, the DRDO Chief said that the sanction for the missile came in 2008 with a mandate to built the missile in four years time. "We have achieved it in about 3.5 years. It is the fulfillment of a dream that the country saw in 1980's," said the DRDO Chief.

DSC_8358.jpg

DSC_8498.jpg

The top scientist also ruled out capping the missile ranges of the future home-built missiles. “I said our development (of missiles) is based on current and evolving threats. Threats are ever changing. There is no question of capping missile range. I do not know if threat profile will be static,” explained Dr Saraswat.
The next test of Agni-V is scheduled for later this year. Before that the DRDO will work to canisterise the missile to give it more flexibility. The April 20 test launch was done from a modified Agni-3 launcher. The canister system is necessary to make the missile road or rail mobile. A rail or road mobile missiles first takes off to a certain altitude and then gets ignited fully.

The strategic missile has also given a capability to launch mini-satellites in the space to aid the armed forces during the time of wars. These mini-satellites can be launched at a short notice and are designed to do a short-term role like providing navigation and all.

Taking about the naval variant of the Long Range Strategic Missile, Saraswat said that the “work was on an advanced stage”. So when the indigenous nuclear attack submarine INS Arihant gets operational there will be “no gap” in the vessel and the weapon.

The Chief refused to comment on the damning reaction from China, but added that India was not working towards matching a missile for missile with other nations. “We are not matching missile for missile. If I can manage all my offensive or defensive profile with the present set, why to have so many missiles,” Saraswat said to a pointed query about China’s missiles with ranges exceeding 10,000 kms.

I know K4 & K15. What's K5 ??? New missile or it's typo

Back
Top Bottom