What's new

Women fighter pilots for IAF

amunhotep

BANNED
Reaction score
The Indian Air Force said on Tuesday that it was planning to have women fighter pilots in future, but they will be inducted with a pre-condition of not bearing children till a certain age.

"In a few years time, we might see this change (women getting inducted as fighter pilots) coming in with certain pre-conditions that till this age we request you to be happy, be married, but no offsprings," IAF Vice Chief Air Marshal P K Barbora told reporters in New Delhi.

"After 13-14 years of service, investments made on fighter pilots are actually recovered by the government," he said in an indication that women fighter pilots will be allowed to have kids only after putting in 13-14 years in IAF.

Now, women in the age group of 21-23 years are inducted into the flying branch and may be allowed to start family after crossing the 35-37 years age bracket.

The IAF Vice-Chief said if a woman pilot has to take pregnancy leave, she will be off-flying for around 10 months, which will not be fruitful for both her and the Service.

Citing reasons for Services not inducting women into combat arms, Barbora said, the armed forces "feel that it is not right to have a lady or a woman exposed to a conflict where she can be a prisoner of war."

"Secondly, psychologically, are we fit? Another factor," he added.

here is the link

IAF to have women fighter pilots; no-child condition applies

:yahoo: :yahoo:

According to my info women cant reproduce after 40. in very rare occasion it is possible to reproduce after 40.

NEW DELHI: The Indian Air Force on Tuesday said it was planning to have women fighter pilots in future, but they will be inducted with a

pre-condition of not bearing children till a certain age.

"In a few years time, we might see this change (women getting inducted as fighter pilots) coming in with certain pre-conditions that till this age we request you to be happy, be married, but no offsprings," IAF Vice Chief Air Marshal P K Barbora told reporters here.

"After 13-14 years of service, investments made on fighter pilots are actually recovered by the government," he said in an indication that women fighter pilots will be allowed to have kids only after putting in 13-14 years in IAF.
Now, women in the age group of 21-23 years are inducted into the flying branch and may be allowed to start family after crossing the 35-37 years age bracket.

The IAF Vice-Chief said if a woman pilot has to take pregnancy leave, she will be off-flying for around 10 months, which will not be fruitful for both her and the Service.

Citing reasons for Services not inducting women into combat arms, Barbora said, the armed forces "feel that it is not right to have a lady or a woman exposed to a conflict where she can be a prisoner of war."

"Secondly, psychologically, are we fit? another factor," he added.

IAF to have women fighter pilots; no-child condition applies - India - The Times of India
:tdown:

Good move...This will help all the women aspirants who want to join IAF and fight for their country... I also agree with restriction on not bearing a child...since GOI will spend lot of $$$ on their training and thus need to ensure that such women pilots end up being as asset to the country and our air-force rather than being a liability...

However nothing has been mentioned about physical fitness. Are we going to relax physical fitness norms for women? Any member have any updates on this front??

My personal stand is to have same physical norms for men and women because National Security is one place where you cannot compromise even if it is at the cost of gender equality...

Which nations allow women to fly combat aircraft and what are the restrictions put on them?

Any how conrats! to Indian ladies in advance. One openinon is this they take ladies b/w 28-35. A solution for all the poblems. They will be mature, free from childrens etc etc

Your info is wrong.

no he is partly right gubbi...
women are supposed to have their first child before 30 years...having the first kid after 30 can be troublesome can cause complications...

@topic...
people who have played games on consoles from a very early age...who have driven a vehicle for long...prove to be better pilots than the rest...

no he is partly right gubbi...
women are supposed to have their first child before 30 years...having the first kid after 30 can be troublesome can cause complications...

@topic...
people who have played games on consoles from a very early age...who have driven a vehicle for long...prove to be better pilots than the rest...

Pari i think males in your forces have some insecurity so they want to limit the women participation one way or the way.

I feel its dumb to put those restrictions.

Pari i think males in your forces have some insecurity so they want to limit the women participation one way or the way.

I feel its dumb to put those restrictions.

I am for females being inducted into the airforce and the navy...but somewhat against the idea of them serving as combatants in the army...
I don't want to sound like a chauvinist but...the army would prefer the men shedding blood than women...unless there is no other option...plus women serving as officers is fine with me...but in the lower ranks they might face harassment of the lewdest kind...
heck my own girlfriend is undergoing her training to be a captain in the army....but she won't be seeing any combat...she will probably be in the signals or the sappers manning a computer and not a machine gun...
so as far as giving employment is concerned...the army is doing a better job than the airforce and the navy...
the airforce does have females flying transport planes and helis...
but hats-off to PAF for having female fighter pilots...are they allowed to fly the f-16s too?
IMO the IAF should learn from the PAF in this regard...

No woman fighter pilot as of Now: IAF

The Indian Air Force is unlikely to recruit women as a fighter pilot since now as the force cannot exploit the full potential of them and there is no policy in the country to what response when they are taken prisoners during war.

Expressing his view on this issue in a Chief of Staff Committee (COSC) meeting – a panel comprising the three service chiefs – Tuesday (Nov 17), IAF Vice Chief Air Marshal P K Barbora said, 'IAF cannot exploit the full returns of investment, which it spends, on training a fighter pilot.

As it is known that a sum of about Rs.11.46 costs to train a fighter pilot to be fully commissioned.

To exploit this investment, there is a need to do a continuous job till 13-14 years from commissioning.

To exploit this investment, IAF also impose condition on male pilots too. If a male pilot leaves the job after commissioned, he has to reimburse the whole cost of training.

"The IAF wants its investment to be optimally utilised. Pregnancy can keep women pilots away from work for 10-12 months," he added.

Citing of having full respect for women Barbora said, 'I have full respect for women……but there are also other physiological, psychological, cultural and historical considerations. We cannot send them into close combat.'

The close combat comprises flying fighter jets, sailing on warships or serving in the infantry or the armoured corps.

'And, there is policy in India on what response to adopt if they are taken prisoners of war. Even Israel does not send women fighter pilots into close combat,' he explained.

I am for females being inducted into the airforce and the navy...but somewhat against the idea of them serving as combatants in the army...
I don't want to sound like a chauvinist but...the army would prefer the men shedding blood than women...unless there is no other option...plus women serving as officers is fine with me...but in the lower ranks they might face harassment of the lewdest kind...
heck my own girlfriend is undergoing her training to be a captain in the army....but she won't be seeing any combat...she will probably be in the signals or the sappers manning a computer and not a machine gun...
so as far as giving employment is concerned...the army is doing a better job than the airforce and the navy...
the airforce does have females flying transport planes and helis...
but hats-off to PAF for having female fighter pilots...are they allowed to fly the f-16s too?
IMO the IAF should learn from the PAF in this regard...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
Well what i know of is that females pilots are normally not employed in combat all over the world. This has also been talked about the reporter in the end of the clip. Moreover, Sir MuradK has revealed some shocking news as regards to these girls. i think if he also post it here, we would have a better stand to discuss more.

qoute from the muradk sir himself:
Thanks buddy get me into trouble
I am one of those people right is right and wrong is wrong no matter the situation is.
So this it
All seven of them decided not to fly Fighters and all of them are now with VIP SQD and 6 SQD Chaklala. Because of these 7 women PAF stopped hiring women fighter pilots. Only 2 completed OCU and everyday they used to say we don't want to fly but their IPs were as bad as they were they made sure they complete the OCU after OCU there were sent to fighter SQD but they refused and the COAS made a decision which lead to a complete failure of the system that we are not ready for women at this time will take sometime but need more research into this . And now Young girls who have the passion are stuck because no more induction of female pilots. The rotten egg was Ambreen she qualified and then said no I don't want to fly Fighters which made PAF very upset spending all that money on training and the outcome Zero.

In our days back in the early 60s when you entered the academy they used to do a grading which meant you fly 10 missions and do a solo if not you are out it happens today as well but after a long period they should go back to the basics grading system it should be done in the first month so people who are not fit for flying or do not want to fly should be sent home.
The reason of her quiting on fighters she encountered an emergency and that was enough for her to say I am not doing it. Now she comes and say I am ready to die for my country.
I am just angry that 2 of them had the potential of becoming the first and them they decided not to.
There are a lot of reasons which played a negative role in this, A few things I will be candid about .
In our culture husbands don't take care of the children like in the west. All the fighter bases except Peshawar and karachi will hold there husbands with good jobs, rest of the bases they cant get a decent jobs.
Now on a serious note
during PMS you pull Gs and you will not wake up in the west the girls are pretty open about it but in our culture she will not tell anyone and after marriage they get pregnant they can't fly for 9 months after the delivery they cant fly for another 6 months , What is she going to do give the baby to the base commander and say feed him when he cries. She is on CAP or exercise and base calls her come back because munna needs milk or the OC flying is having a hard times changing the diapers. See these things are a reality and should have been thought before such a venture so PAF though well they said no so why not put them in Chaklala so for the rest of there lives they will stay in Transport and get married and the husband can get a job in Pindi or Islamabad.
Well now its open for discussion and you guys can chew up my As-. I ready.
a note in the 80s when I was with COAS Hakim Sahib we talked on all of these issues and during those days we could not support it, but today we can but we need girls who really want to fly not this **** Oh I love to fly and when they sit in a cockpit they say Holy **** what have I got my self into. We have girls who will do very well but they should be given a test in the first month or in other words given a taste of what they are getting into either they will love it or they will not but that will clearly tell PAF who is willing to take the next step. People let me tell you in 1990 the cost of training 1 GDP cadet up till OCU was 1 million$$ and now its more. Just because I look good in green coverall doesn't give me the excuse of getting into the system and quiting later on.

p.s- i would want female in IAF , but what if they too end up in the same manner after marriage child birth etc..
then VC barboras argument stand true,
we train them with taxpayers moolah and then their non availablity will cause unconvinience for IAF.............case rested

Last edited:
Yes its true it happen in Pakistan. But we also have good lady fighter pilots in west. we cannot generalise this. Its skills based not gender base. In one of post Sir Murad said that girls can do wonders but PAF need some time for this :)

yeah doing 9Gs is killing...I have heard that even with the G-suit on...your guts really crank up...pulling a tight turn...there are videos on you-tube where seasoned pilots grunt loudly while pulling sharp...
I guess it kinda makes sense...
Sir murad's post has logic in it...specially the "our culture vs the west" wala part.

Yes its true it happen in Pakistan. But we also have good lady fighter pilots in west. we cannot generalise this. Its skills based not gender base. In one of post Sir Murad said that girls can do wonders but PAF need some time for this :)

yeah skill is not gender dependent...neither is generalizing a sensible thing to do...
but it is easier to deal with a male cadet than a female cadet...resource depleted airforces like the IAF and the PAF would want to squeeze every inch out of their cadet pool...running a risk of having to loose precious training days...is a definite no-no.

Back
Top Bottom