What's new

Win WC? Tell Dhoni he's dreaming, says Dean Jones

Dance

Reaction score
Given their weak bowling and unimpressive fielding even the high quality batsmen cannot save India's World Cup campaign, feels former Australian batsman Dean Jones who says winning the coveted trophy will remain just a dream for Mahendra Singh Dhoni's men.

"The three main common denominators consistent with all World Cup champion teams are: Your top four batsmen must be of a high quality. They must have the technique to play the new ball, as well as have the power and stroke play during powerplays. Your top four bowlers must be of high quality, able to absorb pressure and bowl defensively in powerplays. If you can't field, don't bother turning up!" Jones said in his column for 'The Age'.

"All this taken into account, I do not believe India will win the World Cup with its current form. Tell Dhoni, he's dreaming," wrote Jones in his article.

Jones said that despite the presence of Sachin Tendulkar and Virender Sehwag in the team, who can rip any bowling attack to shreds, India cannot win the World Cup.

"Everyone here has a huge regard for the Indian team. They have the batsmen, no doubt. Tendulkar and Sehwag can rip any attack to shreds. But that alone doesn't win the World Cup for India. He is dreaming," he said.

The former Aussie cricketer said that Dhoni's bowling combination comprising Zaheer Khan, Ashish Nehra, Piyush Chawla and Harbhajan Singh doesn't match the standards of any of the line-ups of the previous teams.

"Captain M S Dhoni has admitted some of his fieldsmen are very slow. But Dhoni believes he will win the World Cup with this bowling line-up: Zaheer Khan, Ashish Nehra, Piyush Chawla and Harbhajan Singh. Dhoni must turn to history to see that this bowling attack will not win a World Cup."

Your top four batsmen must be of a high quality.

Indian Top 4 are high quality!

Given their weak bowling

1983 - Winner India, Bowling - Weak
1996 - Winner Sri Lanka, Bowling - Weak

We have only one quality bowler in form ie. Zaheer Khan.

unimpressive fielding

This is worry.

----------

Sorry Deano, I dont see any team in this WC who has all 3 bases covered. Its open WC, any team can win.

The only team which meets Dean's criteria is Sri Lanka - Tilshan, Sangakarre, Jayawardane along with that opener are damn good - excellent bowlers in Malinga, Kulasekara, Murali and Mendis and good fielding side.

Indian Top 4 are high quality!

1983 - Winner India, Bowling - Weak
1996 - Winner Sri Lanka, Bowling - Weak

We have only one quality bowler in form ie. Zaheer Khan.

This is worry.

----------

Sorry Deano, I dont see any team in this WC who has all 3 bases covered. Its open WC, any team can win.

south africa n australia, srilanka have pretty much all things covered, and in some manner pakistan

indian bowling is very worry some

Given their weak bowling and unimpressive fielding even the high quality batsmen cannot save India's World Cup campaign, feels former Australian batsman Dean Jones who says winning the coveted trophy will remain just a dream for Mahendra Singh Dhoni's men.

"The three main common denominators consistent with all World Cup champion teams are: Your top four batsmen must be of a high quality. They must have the technique to play the new ball, as well as have the power and stroke play during powerplays. Your top four bowlers must be of high quality, able to absorb pressure and bowl defensively in powerplays. If you can't field, don't bother turning up!" Jones said in his column for 'The Age'.

"All this taken into account, I do not believe India will win the World Cup with its current form. Tell Dhoni, he's dreaming," wrote Jones in his article.

Jones said that despite the presence of Sachin Tendulkar and Virender Sehwag in the team, who can rip any bowling attack to shreds, India cannot win the World Cup.

"Everyone here has a huge regard for the Indian team. They have the batsmen, no doubt. Tendulkar and Sehwag can rip any attack to shreds. But that alone doesn't win the World Cup for India. He is dreaming," he said.

The former Aussie cricketer said that Dhoni's bowling combination comprising Zaheer Khan, Ashish Nehra, Piyush Chawla and Harbhajan Singh doesn't match the standards of any of the line-ups of the previous teams.

"Captain M S Dhoni has admitted some of his fieldsmen are very slow. But Dhoni believes he will win the World Cup with this bowling line-up: Zaheer Khan, Ashish Nehra, Piyush Chawla and Harbhajan Singh. Dhoni must turn to history to see that this bowling attack will not win a World Cup."

He is absolutely right. India cannot win the WC. It should be either Pakistan, England or SA. By the way this year no team is strong.

In old days it was ok to have week fielding because no team focused on fielding, but today only Indians are bad at fielding and so bad that even our own national sides have better fielders forget about international teams.

India was once a great team 2.5 years ago, we were winning matches in a row, beating the best etc. That time Dhoni said, we are playing too many matches and need some rest, in reply came IPL. Instead of resting player will stretched them even more, all because BCCI wanted to make more money. Players also wanted money. The excessive playing made sure players are injured, exhausted.

2.5 years back we had strong batting, even Sachin was considered replaceable that time. Strong bowling and India's best fielding, everything needed for a champion team.

We did bad in two T20 WC, this WC none of our victory has been convincing and my fellow Indians think we can win. I know you love the game but dude look at reality.

BCCI ki Ma Ki....
Sharad Pawar ki Maa Ki (He is not even good to be human, when farmer are committing suicide, this guy was aiming for ICC president)

Now I only watch for Sachin, his records thats it.

Take my word, we are loosing and soon we will lose all test rankings too, because Laxman, Dravid and later Sachin will retire.
Worst is going to come for India.

Dhoni will soon lose captaincy, he is one captain that got credit for things he never did (basically when Sachin, Dravid, Yuvraj and Shewag was in form we were winning, but everyone said all credit to Dhoni)
Dhoni even forgot his batting after becoming captain, before he was known for his knocks, not much recently.

Dean Jones i back in business? I thought he was banned for life for calling Hashim Amla a terrorist? :lol:

i dont think we r gonna will the world cup. but cricket is a funny game. every one is forgetting u just need to win three games in a row to win world cup.

u need a bit of luck. all countries in this world will have atleast one bad day. wat will matter is if opposition can capitalise on that bad day.

He is absolutely right. India cannot win the WC. It should be either Pakistan, England or SA. By the way this year no team is strong.

In old days it was ok to have week fielding because no team focused on fielding, but today only Indians are bad at fielding and so bad that even our own national sides have better fielders forget about international teams.

India was once a great team 2.5 years ago, we were winning matches in a row, beating the best etc. That time Dhoni said, we are playing too many matches and need some rest, in reply came IPL. Instead of resting player will stretched them even more, all because BCCI wanted to make more money. Players also wanted money. The excessive playing made sure players are injured, exhausted.

2.5 years back we had strong batting, even Sachin was considered replaceable that time. Strong bowling and India's best fielding, everything needed for a champion team.

We did bad in two T20 WC, this WC none of our victory has been convincing and my fellow Indians think we can win. I know you love the game but dude look at reality.

BCCI ki Ma Ki....
Sharad Pawar ki Maa Ki (He is not even good to be human, when farmer are committing suicide, this guy was aiming for ICC president)

Now I only watch for Sachin, his records thats it.

Take my word, we are loosing and soon we will lose all test rankings too, because Laxman, Dravid and later Sachin will retire.
Worst is going to come for India.

Dhoni will soon lose captaincy, he is one captain that got credit for things he never did (basically when Sachin, Dravid, Yuvraj and Shewag was in form we were winning, but everyone said all credit to Dhoni)
Dhoni even forgot his batting after becoming captain, before he was known for his knocks, not much recently.

let them qualify first for the quarter finals lol coz at this point in time there chance is at stake if they loose to WI then they are gone ,and even if they win from WI and bangladesh wins from SA again they are gone

let them qualify first for the quarter finals lol coz at this point in time there chance is at stake if they loose to WI then they are gone ,and even if they win from WI and bangladesh wins from SA again they are gone

no if we win against west indies we r thru. bangla sa game wont have any impact on us then.

well i can rely on irish bowling to defend even 300 but not indian bowling for suree

Back
Top Bottom