WILL PAKISTAN BE NEXT?

waraich66

Reaction score
Country
Canada
WILL PAKISTAN BE NEXT?
- It is to be hoped that the Arab future tilts towards democracy
KANTI BAJPAI

The crises in Tunisia and Egypt have surprised the world even as they have shocked the incumbent leaderships. The knock-on effects on South Yemen and Jordan suggest that there is widespread popular disaffection in the Arab world. Is this a pointer to rebellion brewing in the Muslim world beyond the Arab countries? What about Pakistan in particular? Could it be next?

What we are seeing in Tunisia and now in Egypt is large-scale popular rebellion against long-standing authoritarian leaderships. Both are fairly advanced Arab countries in terms of per capita income ($7900 and $5400 respectively in purchasing power parity terms), literacy (78 per cent and 66 per cent), exposure to the media and electronic communications, and political awareness. Both have respectable population growth rates, with Tunisia slightly below the world average and Egypt somewhat above. Both are growing economically at a decent rate — at between 3.5 and 4.5 per cent respectively. Unemployment is probably the most disturbing element, with Tunisia at 14 per cent and Egypt at 10 per cent.

There is trouble also in Yemen and Jordan. How do they stack up against Tunisia and Egypt? Yemen has a per capita income of $2400 and Jordan of $5000. Literacy is at 59 per cent and 91 per cent respectively. Population growth rates are 2.97 per cent and three per cent, well above the global average of 1.17 per cent. Economically, they are both growing at five per cent. And unemployment is 35 per cent and 13 per cent. This suggests that Jordan is somewhat closer to Tunisia and Egypt.

Why then, given quite different profiles, at least between Yemen on the one hand and Tunisia, Egypt, and Jordan on the other, are both sets of countries in political difficulty? Do the economic and social characteristics of countries not matter?

There is a view that economic and social deprivation leads to rebellion. An alternative view is that economic and social progress, up to a threshold, gives rise to rebellion. The four profiles sketched in here suggest that the latter view is more credible, as three of the four States represent middle-level developing countries that have attained a certain threshold of economic and social progress. Economic and social progress creates political awareness and a level of political mobilization that is necessary for an agitational movement. Economic and social progress is also influential in determining the nature of the movement. If one had to make a vulgar prediction, it is that Tunisia, Egypt, and Jordan, as relatively rich and modern societies, will handle the present crises somewhat better and move in the direction of a fairly moderate, liberal alternative. Not so Yemen.

Is there anything that the four countries have in common besides being Arab and Muslim and sharing some economic and social features? One striking common feature is their political leadership which has been in the same hands for three decades. Discontent is as much political, therefore, as it is economic and social.

Where is Pakistan in comparison? Its per capita income is $2600 dollars, close to Yemen’s. Literacy is 54 per cent, again Yemen-like. Population is growing at a more moderate pace, at 1.84 per cent. Economic growth is running at 2.7 per cent, lower than Yemen and barely keeping up with population growth. Unemployment stands at 15 per cent, well below Yemen’s rate. In sum, Pakistan’s economic and social profile is more like that of Yemen than of Tunisia, Egypt, and Jordan.

Yet, compared to the four Arab States, Pakistan has certain political characteristics which make massive street protests against the incumbent government unlikely. It has had a history of rather effective street protests — in 1969 to oust Ayub Khan, in 1977 to oust Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto, and in 2009 to oust Pervez Musharraf. Nonetheless, it seems unlikely to happen in the wake of Tunisia and Egypt.

For one thing, and perhaps most importantly, Pakistan has not had the same leadership for 30 years. Nobody in Pakistan, not even a dictator, has ruled for more than 11 years. Pervez Musharraf, the last authoritarian leader of that country, did not quite make the 11-year ‘limit’, being at the helm from 1999 to 2009.

Secondly, the present government in Pakistan is a popularly elected one. There is discontent in the country, but the Zardari government was elected in a free and fair election and his political capital has not run out — he has not hit the 11-year limit. Nor has it been possible to focus public anger against any one leader. President Asif Ali Zardari is not personally liked, but he is not the only focus of dissatisfaction. The prime minister, Yousaf Raza Gilani, runs the day-to-day affairs of the State with a fairly capable group of ministers. Responsibility is more diffuse in Pakistan.

This brings me to a third feature of the Pakistani system, namely, its relative openness. Pakistan today is not authoritarian in the way that Tunisia, Egypt, and Yemen are. There are political spaces and freedoms available to dissenting groups, most obviously parliament. The effect of this is to let pressure dissipate.

Fourth, Pakistan has a lively and relatively free media. Popular expressions of dissent and dissatisfaction are allowed fairly free rein, particularly in periods of civilian rule. Even during military rule, Pakistan’s press has had a fair degree of commentative and reporting freedom. Political unhappiness is therefore not bottled up as in the Arab world.

Another key difference is that Islamic forces in Pakistan have not been suppressed in the way that they have been contained in Tunisia, Egypt, and Jordan. It is not clear to what extent Islamic groups have instigated or taken over the protests in those three countries. In Egypt, the role of the Muslim Brotherhood is becoming more evident. What is worrisome in the Egyptian movement is that the only organized force within it is the Brotherhood. There is a danger, therefore, that the Islamists will manipulate the post-Mubarak phase to their advantage and marginalize the liberals. In Pakistan, by contrast, the Islamists are pretty much out in the open and have the patronage or acquiescence of political parties and the army. Pakistani Islamists may not need a popular movement against the government of the day. They already set a good deal of the agenda and frequently act as a veto group.

Finally, young people have been a crucial force in Tunisia, Egypt, Jordan, and Yemen, but Pakistan’s youth, particularly educated youth, have really not played much of a role in agitational politics since the late 1960s. Some segments of young people have been drawn into Islamic radicalism, others have joined the mainstream political parties. Yet others have emigrated to the West or are politically apathetic. Those who have joined Islamic radicalism and those in the mainstream parties are not terribly interested in agitational street politics: the radicals are attracted to terrorism and sectarian conflict — Shia versus Sunni — or cultural reformation; and those in the political parties give vent to their views within the political process.

If this is correct, Pakistan is unlikely to be a candidate for the kind of protests we are seeing in the Arab world. Pakistan already has a richer democratic history than these countries. It also has much more instability and political violence. We must hope that the Arab future tilts towards democracy rather than instability and violence.
The author teaches international politics at Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi

Those people want demacracy and a change in the system of governance.

Pakistan already is a democratic state (most of the time...).

I don't believe that we'll have demonstrations or revolution. But there may be protests against inflation or electricity cut-offs etc...

I doubt Pakistan will be next. That's because Pakistanis currently lack the quality Arabs have just discovered: civic courage, the willingness to stand up to authority in the cause of collectively creating a better society, not to exert power upon others in the name of religion or glory.

i hope no we dont need such action but but but if gov release this US killer then i wanna se zardari gillani hanged in front of Parliament house.

i hope no we dont need such action but but but if gov release this US killer then i wanna se zardari gillani hanged in front of Parliament house.
Because you really want to focus your hatred upon killing an American, is that not so? Hatred nutured in you by your own society, yes?

Imran Khan, I predict Pakistan will remain a "nutcase" (as one South African Muslim put it to me) unless you throw off the shackles of your conditioning and seek to awaken your fellows.

I doubt Pakistan will be next. That's because Pakistanis currently lack the quality Arabs have just discovered: civic courage, the willingness to stand up to authority in the cause of collectively creating a better society, not to exert power upon others in the name of religion or glory.

Our nation is ready to throw present IMF/USAID funded democratic government,Pakistan is in great political and economical termoil.Our GDP growth is lowest in region and per capita income is declining rapidly from last 30 years.

Similarity in Pakistan and Egypt is both have 65% young and vibrant population but they are facing hardles in growth by corruption and injustice.

Our nation is ready to throw present IMF/USAID funded democratic government -
As any Cuban would tell you, that would only free you from the U.S., not tyranny.

...they are facing hardles in growth by corruption and injustice.
Yes. But tell me, are you really upset by corruption and injustice in Pakistan, or would you be satisfied if you were party to the corruption and meting out injustice?

You have lack of knowledge about Pakistani people, we didn't need any kind of revolution at this moment and we have our own priorities & demands. We are not Arab and Arabs are not Pakistanis, keep these ideas safe for American people for situation like Egypt.

You are looking and we will observe what better society will be developing by Egyptian government for its citizens.
We have to strengthen our government but not to disturb. Enough to change government after every 2 years.
We are well aware what to do.

anyway

Pakistan will not be next.

I don't think that Pakistan needs revolution like Egypt
Little changes can make Pakistan a better country
Politicians are elected by people so we only need to select the correct leader for ourself

You have lack of knowledge about Pakistani people, we didn't need any kind of revolution at this moment -
Did you think Egypt needed a revolution three months ago? I'll bet you didn't. Neither did most Egyptians. But I did.

We are not Arab and Arabs are not Pakistanis.
I know Pakistanis better than I know Egyptians. It may not be necessary to engage in a drastic overthrow of the GoP, but the disease in your polity that seeks obscene power and glory is there and Pakistanis currently lack the strength of will to challenge it.

You are looking and we will observe what better society will be developing by Egyptian government for its citizens.
It won't help you, for you'll be concentrating on the wrong part of the story. It was Solzhenitsyn who wrote that mass terror is impossible without mass enthusiasm. Any enthusiasm Egyptians had for the "Free Officers" regime died decades ago. That's why Egyptians in power can't bring themselves to simply wipe out the hundreds and thousands of protesters in Tahrir Square. Pakistanis, on the other hand, still cower in the face of religious and nationalist violence, thinking - as you put it - they need only "strengthen our government" to fix things.

Well, I know a little about how Pakistani officials think. They are scared to move. They ask for help a lot from others. I surmise that they are keenly aware of the shallowness of their legitimacy - all the more so in the light of Taseer's murder - and don't desire to do anything that might disturb their dolce vitae, their own sweet life. So no matter how much wealth they have or power is at their fingertips, they will do nothing without support from both intellectuals and the masses.

As any Cuban would tell you, that would only free you from the U.S., not tyranny.

Yes. But tell me, are you really upset by corruption and injustice in Pakistan, or would you be satisfied if you were party to the corruption and meting out injustice?

Historically countries funded by US/IMF never get out of debt and tyranny .Pakistani nation learnt good lesson from present government corruption but problem is IMF and world Bank ,US continued their funding despit knowing the high level of corruption because they want to inforce their policies , terms and conditions.

there is no chance of middle east kinda revolution in Pakistan. This only possible when people realise that the state & policy of the state is responsible for shortcomings in the well being of general public. Mostly in pakistan people tend to blame their perceived enemy & the west for most of the evils taking place within their society.

Back
Top Bottom