What's new

Why was the Awami League not allowed to form government in 1971?

Could not the same argument be applied to the upper caste Hindus who tried to prevent Dhaka University being established because they thought the Muslim Bengalis did not need education since they spent more time in the fields? If it was not for the British the Bengali Muslims would have remained backward compared to the Bengali Hindus. This did not stop the Hindus from preventing all types of social progress in East Bengal and this resulted in the partition of 1947.

If it was not for the British the Bengali Muslims would have remained backward compared to the Bengali Hindus.

Are you serious bro?! Do you know after the Battle of Palashi(/Plassey) in 1757, 23rd June, British ousted most Muslim landlords in Bengal and if I am not recalling it wrong, then Lord Cornwallis around 1790 redistributed the lands held by Muslim families to new Hindu landlords whom they thought would be more loyalist to them. He made that infamous "surjasto aeen" where the landlords had to pay the certain amount of tax by sunset of a specific date in the calender, every month. The amount was fixed by the British and also the date and this way they could control who remains the landlord and who is kicked out of Zamidari. There were jalshwa/private dance party held by Hindu landlords(including the famous Tagore family) to entertain the British. Eventually the Bengali Hindus were exposed to western philosophy and education and the mass public, specially the educated Hindus in Kolkata realized the oppression. There was uprising and to balance this, Lord Curzon offered the plan of partition of Bengal, which was carried out in 1905. This would give Bengali Muslims more access to financial, educational and cultural development and thus would balance the Hindu uprising against the British (kind of same but opposite strategy that British played against Muslims at the beginning). Reacting to this Rabindranath Tagore wrote the famous Amar sonar Bangla and we had violent insurgent movements by Hindu population, mainly in West Bengal. Ever heard of Khudiram??! British had to cancel the partition in 1911, as a result. After that Bengali Muslim leaders like Nawab Salimullah were really unhappy and demanded development plans for Muslims. Then we had Dhaka University and stuff. Still there wasn't that much development done for the Muslim Bengalis compared to Hindus. British oppressed the Bengali Muslims more than Hindus. You are in the wrong track bro.:disagree:

Last edited:
what do you mean urdu. Quran is in Arabic . Not urdu.

Quran is readable for Urdu people naturally. I have seen preachings going on in Urdu. This is all that matters for above argument.
I know Qur'an recited here is in Arabic.

Quran is readable for Urdu people naturally. I have seen preachings going on in Urdu. This is all that matters for above argument.

I am Bengali, I can read arabic fluently but not urdu. I know Arab friends of mine who can't read urdu(cause it's different vocabulary bro!). The Quran is and can be preached in any language. When you say someone is preaching the Quran in Urdu, it is done in the same way as anyone would preach the Quran in Bengali or Tamil or whatever. The Quran can be recited only in the original Arabic but the translation can be done and preached in any language.

Urdu is an Indo-Iranian language coming from Indo European group with Persian script(nashtaleeq), which is a derivative from Arabic script but not directly naskh Arabic script while Arabic is a central semetic language from Afro-Asiatic family of language with original Arabic script. Even though writing system is pretty close between Urdu and Arabic, the language is totally different as I mentioned earlier.

Last edited:

I am a muslim and nobody ever preached me Quran in Urdu. In India and Pakistan Muslim do speak in Urdu and they are preached as so.

urdu and arabic are two different scripts. this is like malayalam and tamil. to the northie both scripts almost look the same but arent.

Al-Qur'aan with Urdu translation

4d18d8beb2b1fcf8d587cdbcb6383b41.gif

Al-Qur'aan with Bangla translation

Arabic is the official language of Islam. Qur'aan is written in Arabic and it can not be change. It's fact that Arabic and Urdu are two different language however Urdu complement Arabic with much more gratitude than Bangla. Qur'aan can be learn and understand using both language however if we are to case study than its evident that some one with Urdu background will find Arabic as a familiar language thus can learn Qur'aan easier, faster and with more confident than some one from Bngla background.

Fact is a fact. Let acknowledge it..........

Last edited:
Al-zakir said:
Urdu complement Arabic with much more gratitude than Bangla. if we are to case study than its evident that some one with Urdu background will find Arabic as a familiar language thus can learn Qur'aan easier, faster and with more confident than some one from Bngla background.

Not fact, it's your opinion. Reading and understanding Quran does not depend on case study, it's highly divine , personal and internal. Most Importantly it's one whom Allah Subhanawata'ala chooses and I don't think we know whether Allah likes urdu speaker more than Bengali. At the end:

أَلَيْسَ اللَّهُ بِأَ حْكَمِ الْحَاكِمِينَ

Thank you for posting the beautiful ayats.
I can read the arabic clearly, alhamdulillah. Bengali too but could not disect a single Urdu word! If Urdu was really that close to Arabic then I surely could have. You know why I could not understand it? well one reason is I am pretty ignorant, specially in Urdu, that I confess but then the life of a language is its spoken form and vocabulary, not necessarily the script. Same words could be written in Nastaleeq script or Devangiri one. But to understand that you need to know the vocabulary. the biggest influence of grammer and vocabulary in Urdu comes from Sanksrit and then Persian. I don't see how a khariboli Indo-aryan language is more divine in islamic virtue than an eastern indo aryan language! I am not going to argue if one says Arabic is divine even though I do not see anywhere in the Quran where it says that Arabic is best of the languages or any kind of comparison. Does it? if Allah Subhanawata'ala does, then please tell me cause I don't want to remain in ignorance about a Quranic fact. When I understand Bengali much better than Urdu then surely I shall not be affected more deeply by the sound of Urdu than Bengali. For someone, Bengali sounds way lot sweeter to hear than Urdu, to you it's Urdu rather than Bengali, which is cool. I do not think we should engage in this qualitative comparison of languages:)

Last edited:
If it was not for the British the Bengali Muslims would have remained backward compared to the Bengali Hindus.

Are you serious bro?! Do you know after the Battle of Palashi(/Plassey) in 1757, 23rd June, British ousted most Muslim landlords in Bengal and if I am not recalling it wrong, then Lord Cornwallis around 1790 redistributed the lands held by Muslim families to new Hindu landlords whom they thought would be more loyalist to them. He made that infamous "surjasto aeen" where the landlords have to pay the certain amount of tax by sunset of a specific date in the calender, every month. The amount was fixed by the British and also the date and this way they could control who remains the landlord and who is kicked out of Zamidari. There were jalshwa/private dance party held by Hindu landlords(including the famous Tagore family) to entertain the British. Eventually the Bengali Hindus were exposed to western philosophy and education and the mass public, specially the educated Hindus in Kolkata realized the oppression. There was uprising and to balance this, Lord Curzon offered the plan of partition of Bengal, which was carried out in 1905. This would give Bengali Muslims more access to educational and cultural development and thus would balance the Hindu uprising against the British (kind of same but opposite strategy that British played against Muslims at the beginning). Reacting to this Rabindranath Tagore wrote the famous Amar sonar Bangla and we had violent insurgent movements by Hindu population, mainly in West Bengal. Eever heard of Khudiram??! British had to cancel the partition in 1911, as a result. After that Bengali Muslim leaders like Nawab Salimullah were really unhappy and demanded development plans for Muslims. Then we had Dhaka University and stuff. Still there wasn't that much development done for the Muslim Bengalis than Hindus. British oppressed the Bengali Muslims more than Hindus. You are in the wrong track bro.:disagree:

You are looking at the situation pre-1920's but then the British turned against the Hindu upper-castes of Bengal and gave far better representation to the Bengal Muslims politically. Think of the Communal Award of 1932.

Al-Qur'aan with Urdu translation

4d18d8beb2b1fcf8d587cdbcb6383b41.gif

Al-Qur'aan with Bangla translation

Arabic is the official language of Islam. Qur'aan is written in Arabic and it can not be change. It's fact that Arabic and Urdu are two different language however Urdu complement Arabic with much more gratitude than Bangla. Qur'aan can be learn and understand using both language however if we are to case study than its evident that some one with Urdu background will find Arabic as a familiar language thus can learn Qur'aan easier, faster and with more confident than some one from Bngla background.

So you suggesting, Bengalis first learn Urdu then Farsi and then Arabic only to learn Quran. Like a stepping process????
:cheers:

So you suggesting, Bengalis first learn Urdu then Farsi and then Arabic only to learn Quran. Like a stepping process????
:cheers:

Al-Zakir said:
Qur'aan can be learn and understand using both language however if we are to case study than its evident that some one with Urdu background will find Arabic as a familiar language thus can learn Qur'aan easier, faster and with more confident than some one from Bngla background.

You Deliberately ignore my true intention by twisting with ill intention. If you had read my post carefully than you wouldn't made as such comment. Didn't I said qur'aan can be learn using both language but fact remain Urdu is closer to Arabic script than Bangla. Don't tell me you don't see it. I showed comparison of two language with Arabic scripts.

Honestly answer this question from Islamic point of view. Leave emotion aside for minute.

Shouldn't Arabic letters carry more weight to a Muslim than non Arabic letter????

Last edited:
Not fact, it's your opinion. Reading and understanding Quran does not depend on case study, it's highly divine , personal and internal. At the end:

أَلَيْسَ اللَّهُ بِأَ حْكَمِ الْحَاكِمِينَ

Thank you for posting the beautiful ayats.
I can read the arabic clearly, alhamdulillah. Bengali too but could not disect a single Urdu word! If Urdu was really that close to Arabic then I surely could have. You know why I could not understand it? well one reason is I am pretty ignorant, specially in Urdu, that I confess but then the life of a language is its spoken form and vocabulary, not necessarily the script. Same words could be written in Nastaleeq script or Devangiri one. But to understand that you need to know the vocabulary. the biggest influence of grammer and vocabulary in Urdu comes from Sanksrit and then Persian. I don't see how a khariboli Indo-aryan language is more divine in islamic virtue than an eastern indo aryan language! I am not going to argue if one says Arabic is divine even though I do not see anywhere in the Quran where it says that Arabic is best of the languages or any kind of comparison. Does it? if Allah Subhanawata'ala does, then please tell me cause I don't want to remain in ignorance about a Quranic fact. When I understand Bengali much better than Urdu then surely I shall not be affected more deeply by the sound of Urdu than Bengali. For someone, Bengali sounds way lot sweeter to hear than Urdu, to you it's Urdu rather than Bengali, which is cool. I do not think we should engage in this qualitative comparison languages:)

Most Importantly it's one whom Allah Subhanawata'ala chooses and I don't think we know whether Allah likes urdu speaker more than Bengali.

Wasn't necessary. Very immature comment.

Al-Zakir said:
Qur'aan can be learn and understand using both language

You misunderstood my true intention. I gave example of two language side by side with Arabic scripts. Urdu use Arabic scripts but bangla doesn't. you see the similarity, do you not?

Honestly answer this question from Islamic point of view. Leave emotion aside for minute.

Shouldn't Arabic letters carry more weight to a Muslim than non Arabic letters????

Last edited:

Shouldn't Arabic letters carry more weight to a Muslim than non Arabic letter????

Honestly,

Yes, Arabic language should carry more weight than any other language to Muslims because it is the medium in prayers to Allah.

This does not mean using "near-Arabic script" to write any other language should carry more weight than non-Arabic script language.

Bengalis respect Arabic so much that I have seen students in my school back in Bangladesh throwing their Bengali, English text books everywhere but when it comes to Arabic or Islam text book they handle it with care and never keep it on the ground. That's not just the letters but the content itself is so much respected. There are swear words in Arabic. I know an Arab who swears in almost every sentence, and in Arabic. The translation of the Quran, Allah's words in Bengali is as much Allah's words as they are in Urdu.

Last edited:
Wasn't necessary. Very immature comment.

If my that comment is immature then what do you call this, brother ???

some one with Urdu background will find Arabic as a familiar language thus can learn Qur'aan easier, faster and with more confident than some one from Bngla background.

I don't know how you are saying it's easier to learn Arabic for an Urdu speaker than Bangla; then learning Quran is not a competition so dont know why the "faster" comes here! and not sure how you say a Bengali speaking Muslim lacks confidence(comparatively to Urdu speakers) in learning the Quran when he has the urge and intention!

Last edited:
you see the similarity, do you not?

Except the name of Allah, I do not see the similarity between Arabic and Urdu, in the ayats of surah fatiha that you mentioned there; I have said it before, urdu nashtaleeq script comes from Arabic Naskh script but if you have different meaning for most of the words they are used in, then what's the point?!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom