What's new

Why Turkey and Iran of the former gunpowder empires are monsters in Olympic wrestling while South Asia and Mongolia (not gunpowder) nowhere near them?

chechenians had to go through hell in order to become what they are today. plus they were almost bred for warfare imam shamil. strongest married first.

LOL Germanic Muslims... Modern Germans would be shocked to learn about it
the entire episode started out as court intrigue and dispute over succession to the throne within the visigoths which eventually lead to a section of them reaching out to the likes of tariq:

1613262117987.png

I find that Indians being regarded as weak people was really the propaganda of the british raj/empire and when people get conquered they are regarded as weak people by their peers.
That's really not true.

There was clear distinction among the British in which "race/ethnicity" they categorized as weak or strong in South Asia. This eventually led to the martial races theory.

1613262867989.png

Why the fugg did South Asians take up cricket and not the other great colonial sport of rugby? (be it union or League)

By South Asia i hope you meant India Pakistan and Bangladesh ? Cos Rugby union is huge in Sri Lanka, Domestically the most popular sport on the island, Though they are more successful in Cricket and Athletics Internationally.. Ranked 4th in Asia behind Japan, South Korea and Hong Kong

Not all south Asians have the same sporting culture of Indians I'm afraid, Not all South Asians are as obsessed with Cricket as Indians are

By South Asia i hope you meant India Pakistan and Bangladesh ? Cos Rugby union is huge in Sri Lanka, Domestically the most popular sport on the island, Though they are more successful in Cricket and Athletics Internationally.. Ranked 4th in Asia behind Japan, South Korea and Hong Kong

Not all south Asians have the same sporting culture of Indians I'm afraid, Not all South Asians are as obsessed with Cricket as Indians are

No also means Sri Lanka...cuz Sri Lankan Rugby is irrelevant as it has failed to qualify for a single Rugby World Cup till now..While tiny Georgia (part of the other two gunpowder empires) much better..It is what it is..when I meant South Asia, I meant all the seven countries in it..Tough Cookie

and no Sri Lankan Rugby matches donot attract 40,000+ crowds that Sri Lankan cricket team matches do ..Sri Lankan Rugby players have not been able to make millions of euros from Rugby the way say Lasith Malinga has been able to do from cricket

No also means Sri Lanka...cuz Sri Lankan Rugby is irrelevant as it has failed to qualify for a single Rugby World Cup till now..While tiny Georgia (part of the other two gunpowder empires) much better..It is what it is..when I meant South Asia, I meant all the seven countries in it..Tough Cookie

and no Sri Lankan Rugby matches donot attract 40,000+ crowds that Sri Lankan cricket team matches do ..Sri Lankan Rugby players have not been able to make millions of euros from Rugby the way say Lasith Malinga has been able to do from cricket

Besides the point that SL did play in the junior Rugby WC in 2011, That was not what you stated

Why the fugg did South Asians take up cricket and not the other great colonial sport of rugby? (be it union or League)

Lankans also considered South Asians did take up Rugby not just Cricket like Indians did, And it has one of the largest players bases in the world.. So yours is a moot point

About Georgians, I think you have little insight in to demographic intricacies when it comes to the spread and popularity of the game, Being an Indian i;m not surprised.. Georgia was the bedrock of Russian Rugby when it was the Soviet Union, After the breakup they continued it's strong tradition and Georgian professionals are based in France so they experience first class Rugby,, So they produce world class teams and players, Unfortunately for Sri Lanka it's geography is crap it's surrounded by Cricket fanatic nations, The closest rivalry comes from Malaysia and Singapore.. So Lankan rugby have always been punching above it's weight

You have no idea about the crowds that attend School and club matches in the island.. Cricket doesnt even come close, You need to come out this bubble that anything in the region has to be like India

I suggest you stick to discussions on Cricket

Besides the point that SL did play in the junior Rugby WC in 2011, That was not what you stated

Lankans also considered South Asians did take up Rugby not just Cricket like Indians did, And it has one of the largest players bases in the world.. So yours is a moot point

About Georgians, I think you have little insight in to demographic intricacies when it comes to the spread and popularity of the game, Being an Indian i;m not surprised.. Georgia was the bedrock of Russian Rugby when it was the Soviet Union, After the breakup they continued it's strong tradition and Georgian professionals are based in France so they experience first class Rugby,, So they produce world class teams and players, Unfortunately for Sri Lanka it's geography is crap it's surrounded by Cricket fanatic nations, The closest rivalry comes from Malaysia and Singapore.. So Lankan rugby have always been punching above it's weight

You have no idea about the crowds that attend School and club matches in the island.. Cricket doesnt even come close, You need to come out this bubble that anything in the region has to be like India

I suggest you stick to discussions on Cricket

As I said , as long as there is no Rugby World Cup place, Sri Lanka is on the same boat..Heck even India has a thriving Rugby scene..but that doesnot change the stark facts

Show me a sell out 40,000+ crowd paying 10 dollars each for a rugby game in SL (as they do for cricket)..you won't...anybody can turn up for a school rugby match...A football match in India can attract upto 130,000 paying spectators ..Does that mean India is great at football? certainly not

As I said , as long as there is no Rugby World Cup place, Sri Lanka is on the same boat..Heck even India has a thriving Rugby scene..but that doesnot change the stark facts

Well thats not what you said is it, you said unlike Cricket Rugby didnt get a hold in south Asia, Which is factually wrong.. Oh please you just didnt compare Rugby in India to Sri Lanka, Lankan Uni teams used to take part in your premier league and score cricket scores against your so called top club sides.. Google is your friend

Show me a sell out 40,000+ crowd paying 10 dollars each for a rugby game in SL (as they do for cricket)..you won't...anybody can turn up for a school rugby match...A football match in India can attract upto 130,000 paying spectators ..Does that mean India is great at football? certainly not

Again commenting on things you have no idea about, top level school/Club matches attracts crowds in their tens of 1000's.. Blue ribbon matches like the Bradby Shield and Kandy vs CR &FC 1000's with tickets prices $30 upwards.. Thats what grassroot popularity is, Thats what sports taking ahold of a country is.. Your argument about Int success is contradictory afterwards

India is shit in any sport except Cricket with the 2nd highest population in the world thats a atrocious record, But dont generalize.. South Asia doesnt mean India.. Sri Lanka ranks respectably in World Rugby rankings, Despite being a small South Asian nation, India Ranks at the near bottom of FIFA rankings having the one fifth of humanity.

Stick to Cricket

Well thats not what you said is it, you said unlike Cricket Rugby didnt get a hold in south Asia, Which is factually wrong.. Oh please you just didnt compare Rugby in India to Sri Lanka, Lankan Uni teams used to take part in your premier league and score cricket scores against your so called top club sides.. Google is your friend

Again commenting on things you have no idea about, top level school/Club matches attracts crowds in their tens of 1000's.. Blue ribbon matches like the Bradby Shield and Kandy vs CR &FC 1000's with tickets prices $30 upwards.. Thats what grassroot popularity is, Thats what sports taking ahold of a country is.. Your argument about Int success is contradictory afterwards

India is shit in any sport except Cricket with the 2nd highest population in the world thats a atrocious record, But dont generalize.. South Asia doesnt mean India.. Sri Lanka ranks respectably in World Rugby rankings, Despite being a small South Asian nation, India Ranks at the near bottom of FIFA rankings having the one fifth of humanity.

Stick to Cricket

by taking hold I meant having a team that qualifies for the Rugby World Cup.....No South Asian country has been able to do that....So my argument stands ....

The athletic ability of South Asian countries are fairly on par..IIRC only two South Asian countries have Olympic gold medals

by taking hold I meant having a team that qualifies for the Rugby World Cup.....No South Asian country has been able to do that....So my argument stands ....

The athletic ability of South Asian countries are fairly on par..IIRC only two South Asian countries have Olympic gold medals

You just twisted your argument because you made a bold statement that was factually wrong.. If a sport doesnt take hold in a nation to have nearly 200,000 registered players one of the largest in Asia, Even though it's one of the more less populated ones in the region, A robust club structure and a world class school feeder system (Again it's U20 team DID play in the World Cup 2011).. I dont know what is ?

Success at World cups doesn't constitute getting a hold, For that to happen a lot more attributes need to devlop, For a small Rugby nation, Geographically and financially at an disadvantage, Sri Lanka is fighting against the odds and punching above it's weight

India with it's sheer size, Massive talent or rather talentless pool, for that matter Is one of the worst or is the worse Athletic nations out there.. India won gold in Hockey, Eons ago when it was played on grass, After they turned in to Astro, The game demanded stamina and speed, And now India is a poor shadow of a Hockey nation

There is only one nation in South Asia that have won Olympic medals in the track and sprint events.. a country that has a population less than Bombay.. Guess which one ?

So do not generalize

You just twisted your argument because you made a bold statement that was factually wrong.. If a sport doesnt take hold in a nation to have nearly 200,000 registered players one of the largest in Asia, Even though it's one of the more less populated ones in the region, A robust club structure and a world class school feeder system (Again it's U20 team DID play in the World Cup 2011).. I dont know what is ?

Success at World cups doesn't constitute getting a hold, For that to happen a lot more attributes need to devlop, For a small Rugby nation, Geographically and financially at an disadvantage, Sri Lanka is fighting against the odds and punching above it's weight

India with it's sheer size, Massive talent or rather talentless pool, for that matter Is one of the worst or is the worse Athletic nations out there.. India won gold in Hockey, Eons ago when it was played on grass, After they turned in to Astro, The game demanded stamina and speed, And now India is a poor shadow of a Hockey nation

There is only one nation in South Asia that have won Olympic medals in the track and sprint events.. Guess which one

So do not generalize

well India has won multiple Olympic medals in combat sports (Boxing as well as wrestling)...something SL has not been able to do..still I donot see that as impressive..Why? Cuz only gold matters and my point stands...interest in Rugby doesnot mean anything until and unless there is a WC place

Iran's average height in 1950's was in 150s cm but then oil go boom and Shah invested some of that in nutrition infrastructure whereas a large portion of India survives on government rice and wheat (AAY scheme) and still ranks lower than most of the world in World Hunger Index. For Turkey, it was a colonial Empire till 20th century, it is unreasonable to expect South Asia to reach its level even China is behind it terms of per capita.
:crazy:
Iran's average height in 1950's was in 150s cm but then oil go boom and Shah invested some of that in nutrition infrastructure whereas a large portion of India survives on government rice and wheat (AAY scheme) and still ranks lower than most of the world in World Hunger Index. For Turkey, it was a colonial Empire till 20th century, it is unreasonable to expect South Asia to reach its level even China is behind it terms of per capita.
:crazy:

Important rejoinder.....wheat farming cultures are way more masculine than rice farming cultures...Why is it so?

Emerging evidence of cultural differences linked to rice versus wheat agriculture
Thomas Talhelm

Highlights
• Historical rice farming linked to interdependent culture.

• Differences tested in China and Japan, as well as in worldwide comparison.

• There is evidence for differences among urbanites with no direct experience farming.

• Rice farming is also linked to holistic thought, fewer patents for inventions.

• Rice cultures are not ‘pro-social’ but rather tight ties, strong division of close versus distant ties.

Roughly four billion people live in cultures with a legacy of rice farm. Recent studies find that rice cultures are more interdependent than herding cultures and wheat-farming cultures. In China, people from rice-farming areas think more holistically and show less implicit individualism than people from wheat-farming areas. These differences are mirrored in micro-level comparisons of neighboring counties differ in rice versus wheat. Research has also found evidence of cultural differences based on rice farming within Japan and around the world. However, we know little about the mechanism of how rice culture is transmitted in the modern world. More research is needed on the mechanisms, as well as other subsistence styles, such as corn farming and cash crops like sugar.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom