What's new

Why No Nishan-e-Haider in the Whole War on Terror?

Senoirs listen positive voices and rebels always discouraged it is wrong or not but it is/ was well established rule of Pakistan armed forces,

We are not Changa Mangha forces where every one has authority to impose his decisions.

PAF always maintain pilot is more important than plane.

Agreed on what suits you better,
There is a difference in being Changa Manga and being able to tell the superior that they are about to send 200 men into an open field to be massacred.. which people did .. yet these superiors still sent men to their death. That is not changa manga, it is a failed command system.

It is also why we have lost more than our fair share of conflicts.
Either way, it enforces the idea that Pakistan Armed forces are not yet ready for 21st century warfare. Hopefully, newer command and troop training culture will prevail eventually.
Morale has never been too much of an issue, but application of that morale is.

Dear Son did you ever served in forces? If not then listen me

Debacles happens but it is not mean that juniors stop listening seniors if it happen then forces would became Changa Manga,
Serving in forces is irrelevant. What matters is seeing the forces operate up close and out of the system.
Son yourself, and please do not give me this military superiority- i come from a family where the Pak numbers are in single and double digits. I have lived, worked with and for the military and know too well where the fauji ends and the flawed humans begin.

There is military discipline which is universal, and there is objection to orders, initiative and actions above and beyond the call of duty.

Disobedience of orders is one thing, but when you object to a special piece of equipment being thrown away for a strafing run. The same way you can object and write and complain when a flawed weapon is approved for field induction.

You can say you were bypassed- or forced to accept those orders, but that does not make you a rebel or otherwise.
It makes you an objector.

You are wrong he fought bravely but hit by a shell while taking breakfast at nearby tea stall who serves army personal out of respect despite war,
I have serious reservation why he was awarded but still say he fought bravely and died,
And therien we return to the premise of the topic- why are medals awarded on contrived basis or on fiction?

Regardless of how they should be awarded(characyery, merit etc etc) they don't seem to be.

Armed forces anywhere in the world call objectors especially without positive reasoning DIRTY HARRY or rebel despite how good he is or was.

You have entitled to express your views but since you are or was not served despite your claims of being from military family doesn't qualify you to express view on quite inner matters of military since you don't have insight of real life experience hence Son take a break.

This is an insulting remarks for highly awarded martyr soldiers,

Kindly take back this.
I would suggest you take a break as well. The fact that you need to resort to qualifications shows inability to answer my question.
Let me counter that by bringing in those who serve in other militaries if you feel just by the virtue of you having a Pak number gives you automatic superiority.

@gambit when can you object to an order?

As for the fiction remark, I will not take it back as it only compounds on you stating that medals are at times awarded for morale or to those who did not deserve it.
So if they are awarded on whims or inaccurate reasoning- it can very well be fiction. How much of fiction is upto those that judge the merit.

How is that more insulting than the medals being awarded not on merit?

Whether they fought bravely or did not is on the accounts of their own(and witnesses). As an example outside Pakistan, Indian soldiers have faked encounters -
Within Pakistan, Fake or exagerr dogfights have been reported.

I am Here Son bring more comrades of your choice,

This is your hypocrisy as a Pakistani, live with it.

Indian senior officers and Generals give citation for Pakistani officers above mentioned.
Now you are showing needless emotional bravado. If you are unable to answer I can understand, or are unable to understand my question - which is not whether you introduce undisciplined walk abouts as in certain midde eastern counties but whether you will given the clear choice of leading men into certain death for no tactical or strategic gain whatsoever based on no strong justification from a superior object to an order or not?

Infact, lets make it less serious. You have been asked to sign off rs 100000 for something you know costs no more than 40000 by your superior- what action do you take? Do you sign off on it?

As for hypocrisy, if pointing out exactly what you are implying is hypocrisy- sar ankhon per.

If you are referring M.M Alam you are sorry to say you are fool and hypocrite.

Check neutral sources.
How did you assume MM Alam?
I was referring to different incidents in 65 and 71.

Neutral sources can be ACdre Kaiser Tufail if that is acceptable

Serving in forces is irrelevant. What matters is seeing the forces operate up close and out of the system.
Son yourself, and please do not give me this military superiority- i come from a family where the Pak numbers are in single and double digits. I have lived, worked with and for the military and know too well where the fauji ends and the flawed humans begin.

There is military discipline which is universal, and there is objection to orders, initiative and actions above and beyond the call of duty.

Disobedience of orders is one thing, but when you object to a special piece of equipment being thrown away for a strafing run. The same way you can object and write and complain when a flawed weapon is approved for field induction.

You can say you were bypassed- or forced to accept those orders, but that does not make you a rebel or otherwise.
It makes you an objector.

And therien we return to the premise of the topic- why are medals awarded on contrived basis or on fiction?

Regardless of how they should be awarded(characyery, merit etc etc) they don't seem to be.
What is Pak number ? [emoji55] [emoji55] [emoji55] [emoji55]

@Oscar

As a former U.K. Serviceman you can always refuse an illegal order. In the British Army I was subject to Military Law, UK Civil Law, International Law and even the Law of a country I was operating in.

If an order is given that contravened the above it is an illegal order.

Case in point we were always given for training was the My Lai incident during the Vietnam War where a US Huey Pilot and some Infantrymen in Charlie Company refused orders to open fire on the unarmed civilians.

Hope that helps.

@Oscar

As a former U.K. Serviceman you can always refuse an illegal order. In the British Army I was subject to Military Law, UK Civil Law, International Law and even the Law of a country I was operating in.

If an order is given that contravened the above it is an illegal order.

Case in point we were always given for training was the My Lai incident during the Vietnam War where a US Huey Pilot and some Infantrymen in Charlie Company refused orders to open fire on the unarmed civilians.

Hope that helps.
As a former serviceman, do you refer to someone taking a stand at the right time as a trouble maker?

I wish to make a distinction between those that routinely create issues and violate discipline to those that say "no sir, I do not agree with that and cannot agree to carry out that order willingly"

As a former serviceman, do you refer to someone taking a stand at the right time as a trouble maker?

I wish to make a distinction between those that routinely create issues and violate discipline to those that say "no sir, I do not agree with that and cannot agree to carry out that order willingly"

The service test applies to such situations. It's states have the actions of a serviceman brought the Military into disrepute.

So using My Lai as an example if I was given the order to to shoot an unarmed civilian I would be refusing that order. It violates all rules of engagement and the laws I have described above.

Example from British Army. A platoon in the Yorkshire Regiment refused orders on a Parade in protest against their platoon commander and sergeant. They actually sat down when asked to stand to attention. This was done on the orders of the Junior NCOs in the platoon. The men that did it failed the service test. The Parade orders should have been obeyed.

Given the Pakistani military is formed on British lines and has that legacy I'm assuming the same standard of discipline if not stricter is enforced.

The service test applies to such situations. It's states have the actions of a serviceman brought the Military into disrepute.

So using My Lai as an example if I was given the order to to shoot an unarmed civilian I would be refusing that order. It violates all rules of engagement and the laws I have described above.

Example from British Army. A platoon in the Yorkshire Regiment refused orders on a Parade in protest against their platoon commander and sergeant. They actually sat down when asked to stand to attention. This was done on the orders of the Junior NCOs in the platoon. The men that did it failed the service test. The Parade orders should have been obeyed.

Given the Pakistani military is formed on British lines and has that legacy I'm assuming the same standard of discipline if not stricter is enforced.
The Pakistani army is a direct copy in many ways to the RA.
So what you say is exactly what I refer to, the fine line between disrepute and legitimate objection.

History may be written by the victors but the truth will always come out eventually.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...y-medal-over-fake-battle-reports-9788820.html

In terms of medals for gallantry I am an avid reader about Victoria Cross recipients. I had the privilege of meeting Ali Haider as a young boy in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. Was too young to appreciate who he was until much later.

To be seen as deserving an award of that medal is a benchmark that can only be described as unbelievable. I'm sure Nishan E Haider has the same. Given a Pakistans involvement in the WoT amounts more to internal security it's not a fitting award even though the actions taken may warrant it.

Last edited:
I would suggest you take a break as well. The fact that you need to resort to qualifications shows inability to answer my question.
Let me counter that by bringing in those who serve in other militaries if you feel just by the virtue of you having a Pak number gives you automatic superiority.

@gambit when can you object to an order?
If the order is patently illegal. Whether an order is illegal or not, is not as always murky as most people believe.

To start off, if a combatant surrendered, as in he displays no weapons and made himself completely vulnerable, you do not need a law degree to know that killing him counters every known rules and implicit understanding of war, hence, any order to kill him is patently illegal. If faced with such a situation, you have at least a moral duty to object. If pressed to kill, you now have a legal duty to refuse.

Now...If you received an order to go on a mission that you know have a very slight chance of survival, whether that order came from competent authority or not is besides the point for now, is that order patently illegal ? The order is legal.

Post 42...
There is a difference in being Changa Manga and being able to tell the superior that they are about to send 200 men into an open field to be massacred.. which people did .. yet these superiors still sent men to their death. That is not changa manga, it is a failed command system.
Like it or not, when you are a soldier, death is an accepted component of your life, whether it came from poor maintenance of the rifle, incomplete intelligence, or sheer incompetency.

If the idiot captain produced a plan that most assuredly will result in the deaths of his unit, his order is still legal. If you object, the military court may reduce your punishment once it is determined that the captain was incompetent, but the fact remains that you essentially mutinied. The court may even go so far as to side with you, the captain was low IQ to start, and he became mentally incapacitated due to combat stress and so on, and the court may exonerate you completely, but you still did mutinied and regardless of circumstance, a mutiny is taken very seriously.

Post 36...
Sure, you should per discipline take their orders and jump into a well. But that is where military discipline and common sense collide.
I understand you use an extreme example here and it is illustrative. We need extremes in order to gauge the middle ground, correct ?

Is the order to jump into a well as legal as the order to go on a practically suicide mission ? Absolutists would argue 'Yes'. But common sense will prevail. Jump into that well would assure your death, but then so would going on that near suicide mission. So is the question of your death the final arbiter on whether the order 'Jump into that well' legal or not ? No, your death is not the final arbiter. Military accomplishment -- is. Jumping into that well have no military value to start, whereas that near suicide mission, at least it has a patina of having a military value. What if you succeed and survived and did great damage to the enemy ? How does jumping into that well contributes to the war effort ? Soldiers are not stupid. At least we have gut instincts to fall back upon and your gut instincts would tell you exactly what I described above. So if you refused, the court would side with you that the order was illegal because it has no military value.

So now we come to real issue -- and that is the balance between the value of the soldier's life and the value of a military objective. Both must be of equal worth. If there is a persistent issue of incompetent order givers sending men to their deaths on missions that were determined to have no military values, that is an institutional problem that cannot be resolved by debating the legalities of orders. Like it or not, jumping into a well is clearly worthless in every way, but on a near suicide mission, at least the incompetent order giver can argue his case.

Believe me, a military that give some training to its members, even the lowest ranks, about the legalities of orders which is tacit approval for laying the foundation of mutiny, is a good thing. Because now it forces the institution to be careful in who it promotes. Even conscripts can be convinced into believing their lives are worth the military objectives. But if you are talking about volunteers, then it becomes harder and the best way to alleviate their fears -- that their lives are worthless -- is to have competent leaderships at all levels.

If the order is patently illegal. Whether an order is illegal or not, is not as always murky as most people believe.

Wouldn't here a question will rise who will decide what is illegal and legal ? specially when it comes to war , we see soldiers did some remarkable things by deny the order to kill unarmed civilians to slaughtering the civilians on purpose just to create a fog of Fear in the foe's heart ..

To start off, if a combatant surrendered, as in he displays no weapons and made himself completely vulnerable, you do not need a law degree to know that killing him counters every known rules and implicit understanding of war, hence, any order to kill him is patently illegal. If faced with such a situation, you have at least a moral duty to object. If pressed to kill, you now have a legal duty to refuse.

does Soldiers in US or generally ( if you as soldiers has trained with Allies ) know about Geneva conventions ? another point here can be based on topic, does Geneva convention rules applied on Terrorists ? they are not solider's , plus wouldn't it be hard for any soldier to spare life of a Terrorist even after he surrender his weapon but killing half his fellow unit , what will be the point where the emotion of a soldier will take over his Moral Duty as a Soldier ( doesn't matter which flag he stand and fight for ) ?

Now...If you received an order to go on a mission that you know have a very slight chance of survival, whether that order came from competent authority or not is besides the point for now, is that order patently illegal ? The order is legal.

I can relate what you say from the D-Day invasion of Europe by the US forces , landing on the beach (forgot the name) under heavy German Machine gun firing i really doubt any soldier would have thought to see the other day but do know that by the end of the day, their fellow soldiers will be on the other side .

Take initiative with approvals and argue with correct reasons,

Flying a mission with faulty plane over enemy territory is not considered a bravery.

Initiative is everything. All else is a burden.

Back
Top Bottom