What's new

Why missing IAF aircraft AN-32 had little chance of being found in case of crash

Sir,
This was upgraded in India by BRD. Unfortunately the upgrade talked about ELT not sure if UWB was part of the package.
It's myopic vision that IAF crafts dont need UWB but this incident showed clearly any mil avia flight travelling over sea needs UWB ..

iAF folks now seems to be waking up and planning for UWBs for their fleet.

Sadly we are reactive not proactive...

It's a clear cut lack of foresight, vision and mission planning parameters which should have been in Annual Renewal Certificate of this aircraft (ELT and UWB).

Result we lost 29 men to sea and unable to provide closure to their near and dear ones.
Well, I can understand accountants having an issue of fleetwide ELT. But if you have a particular squadron that is serving the coast or servicing the Andaman.. then it would make common sense. Such phased upgrades are common for many forces throughout the world.

Should ask australian and american for help can not be shy on this matter their hv cability and technology to find in deep ocean modi seek obama's help ally forces

HAL MTA -
Russia developing alone atm. But I wont rule out Il 214 to be sold to India via HAL assembling at a later stage. Since HAL also has ambition for RTA, i have a sneaky feeling they will announce a MTA project alone later...

C295/C130XJs...-
Yes cost is an issue but should we continue with An32s for that alone. These aircrafts in another 15 years will be junk completely.

An-32 cost around $15 Mn
IL214 will be around $40 Mn
Among C130 XJ which is a properly a stripped down version of C130J (costing around $70Mn) and is around 15-20% cheaper and if we can get under MII, it can come to around $50-60 Mn.

But reliability wise C130s all over the world is pretty good. Tata can be a partner pretty quickly.

About 60-70 such birds can change the whole transport fleet in a decade.
LIFE of our security personnel are very cheap in the eyes of politicians and bureaucracy.. so dont expect much.
only if a plane carrying some top babu or minister or politicians was crashed .. then it was a different matter altogether!

@PARIKRAMA what on earth make these analysts/surveyors/quality checkers believe that such thing wouldn't happen to the aircraft on the sea. I mean, the people taking decisions should know in first place that etc plane is going to transport many precious lives that cannot be replaced so the signal/beeper/location gadget must be installed in the way whether the pieces floats or the whole plane goes down/underwater. There is no 100% calculation in-case of a plane would touch the water and wouldn't sink and a,b,c and x,y,z parts of particular area of the A/c would float. Also, in my opinion, a very basic and needed upgrade was not done which proves great negligence at the part of approving authority which should be grilled for the loss of these lives. On other hand, if the A/C was not installed with such crucial part, shouldn't be allowed/cleared to fly over such long water line that too during such kind of bad weather.

However, the damage cannot be reversed but taking such necessary measures can save many others though grilling of negligent ones could send message for many others as well that why to wake-up after the loss. Heard that these planes were upgraded in India and while looking at the detail, failed to find any part that works underwater as signal, was not installed. So also, the tracking system was missing which is another aspect that missing AN-32 cannot be located.

Such common upgrade shouldn't be ignored and needed well in-time that in-case of any such incident, the recovered parts and data will help to avoid any scene in future so also will help to rectify the technical failure that brought the plane down.

The change or need of new plane can only be justified while the one has many of details proving the failure of current plane within definition of technical flaws and is risky etc. In my opinion, such evaluation can only be done with available data yet that is missing here as whether it was the plane failure or human error or how may other plane can survive in etc conditions.

LIFE of our security personnel are very cheap in the eyes of politicians and bureaucracy.. so dont expect much.
only if a plane carrying some top babu or minister or politicians was crashed .. then it was a different matter altogether!

The RFPs are written by uniformed servicemen. The air force personnel can influence the RFIs. The funds might not be availabe for all the options

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom