What's new

Why is Russia great at invention, but stinks at innovation?

DejanSRB

Reaction score
Country
Serbia
http://theconversation.com/russias-great-at-invention-but-stinks-at-innovation-35940

• Russians received two Nobel Prizes for the discovery of the laser but today there is no Russian company that is significant in the international laser market.

• Russians built working electric light bulbs before Thomas Edison, but Edison’s companies took over the market. There were no competing Russian companies.

• Russians transmitted radio waves before Guglielmo Marconi, but today they are not significant in the international radioelectronics market.

Sputnik was the first artificial satellite. RaySys

Great read.

Russia is one of the greatest nation in science history (on 4th place after US,UK, Britain) , but when it comes to innovation of its invention, it fails miserably.
1/4 of engineers in the world, back in 1950s was Soviets.
Russian white emigration produced helicopter, TV, radio (partly), but today Estonian Skype earn more then all others Russian invention in 21 century. Read these articles to find why.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/ideas/2...-over-world/u61VuLiq3lJiyIMY0OLZ7N/story.html

The reason is there is social stigma associated against Russians while their Mathematics and Research work is often stolen by western scientist , people are not often keen to do business with Russians for various biases that have expanded over 1500 years to 2000 years

Russians are always seen as a different group who the general European cannot connect with so typically when Europeans copy the Russian ideas then they have no problem buying the item from each other and they normally don't give a "fee for discovering technology" to Russians or russian scientist

Speaking of more recent times I alwasy noted the various bycotts against Russians from cold war era and dipiction of Russians are evil machines in various hollywood movies and cold blooded assasins

The hatered against Russians is also visible in sports competetions , where Russian Gymnist are called Machines or unhuman by analyst and are criticized for their elegance this bias goes to many levels sometimes sports people are wrongly framed and banned from sports

I remember recently when Russia hosted winter olympics , the TV analyst on western TV were very anti Russian , with their statements saying stuff like oh there is no interest in the Olympics it is better for citizens to stay and watch it on TV , and there is global climate problem no snow in Russia for winter olympics it will get postponned etc

Similarly when Olympics were in China people stated on TV that China has so much pollution you will die of lung cancer or have asthma if you visited Chinese olympics I mean they literally had these TV analyst doing reports before olympics to discourage people to go see China too

Putin is normally described as a hot headed and unhuman being on western media and not given credit for his bravery or critical plannnig and smart views on global security and political mind

For me I have started to see the big picture in last 10 years that Russians are really the good guys and not evil like all the western Propaganda in Hollywood movies etc

Last edited:
Because among the Russians there were and are many good scientists, warriors, writers, philosophers, but few good sellers. This thing has always been considered something low, ignominious. We have had almost no bourgeois in past times, only now some of them appears.

Plus it is well known fact that countries have tried to Isolate Russian first in USSR then sanctions on Russia for some random reason and it is just meant to discourage people to buy from Russia directly

And I have seen it for last 20+ years

Even if Russians had good sellers it won't matter because some of the western countries have laws to not buy from Russian

Not long ago USA bought a Mig for training purpose from Russia and it was big news in American aviation circle as it was such a odd thing to do

Current times NASA buying services from Russian space agency to take supplies to international space station is also seen very negatively from US space community

While F-35 is stolen idean from Russian fighter jet however Americans won't admit that 80% of the idea behind F-35 are of Russian origin

avredvt_7.jpg

fc65d645f09369e0a356d374f85e577f--fighter-aircraft-fighter-jets.jpg

I mean literally the idea is stolen 100% and wrapped around the idea is a shell which allows USA to sell F-35 FOR 100 MILLION PER PLANE

Had russians not sold US the models and prototypes for their plane perhaps F-35 would have taken another 15 years to manufacture
F-35B_cutaway_with_LiftFan.jpg

So while Russians first came up with the idea and made it function , the Americans stole the idea and sold it as a 100 Million plane which crazy nations buy because they thing just because Americans made it it must be top of the line

Last edited:
Only thing Russia is terrible at is marketing and diplomacy. With Russia, it's almost always a zero sum game. They need to be more like a banya or at least act like one.

Only thing Russia is terrible at is marketing and diplomacy. With Russia, it's almost always a zero sum game. They need to be more like a banya or at least act like one.
What is banya?

Jews / Hindus etc etc. Basically a derogatory term, implying sell anything to anyone (at a profit) who can afford it. For example, sell a 9mm pistol to a 9 year old, as long as he/she/it can afford it and not think much about morality.

Basically what I'm saying is, you need to market 'ALL THE SHIT' to any side that can afford it. For example S400, sell it to Israel as well as Palestine! :D

Russia has bright and beautiful people.... only thing missing is the American bravado.

What is banya?

Well I think Russian products are top of line

Space program
Missile Tech
SAM systems
Helicopter program
Fighter Jets
Destroyers and Frigates
Submarines

Just need to expand the market a bit Pakistan needs Heclicopters and Fighter Jets and Ships

Banya is a rich guy who haggles like a poor guy with no cash , and then pats himself on the back after he saves $1

In end , while he may think he is smart but ultimately he costs time loss to himself and seller

Great read.

Russia is one of the greatest nation in science history (on 4th place after US,UK, Britain) , but when it comes to innovation of its invention, it fails miserably.
1/4 of engineers in the world, back in 1950s was Soviets.
Russian white emigration produced helicopter, TV, radio (partly), but today Estonian Skype earn more then all others Russian invention in 21 century. Read these articles to find why.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/ideas/2...-over-world/u61VuLiq3lJiyIMY0OLZ7N/story.html

Even This Is Incomplete.Russian Almost Invented The Internet

https://www.calvertjournal.com/articles/show/7605/soviet-internet-cybernetics-viktor-glushkov

You Should Read About Oleg Losev

http://www.nanobusiness.org/the-biography-of-oleg-losev.html

http://www.hamslife.com/who-is-oleg-losev/

http://www.circuitstoday.com/invention-history-of-light-emitting-diode-led

The Problem Was Not With Russian Ingenuity.It Was The Soviet Bureaucracy Of The Time Who Would Not Spend Funds Developing Own Technology But Would Just Import From West.There Was No Entrepreneurial Class Which Would Spot Opportunities and Commercialize Technology.There Was No Incentive To Develop The Technology

Space program
Missile Tech
SAM systems
Helicopter program
Fighter Jets
Destroyers and Frigates
Submarines

Just need to expand the market a bit Pakistan needs Heclicopters and Fighter Jets and Ships

Its all about priorities, Defense is their priority and they are best at it. Miserable with their cars, that might not be their priority.

Space program
Missile Tech
SAM systems
Helicopter program
Fighter Jets
Destroyers and Frigates
Submarines

Any of those things benefits the people ? None of them.

The main goal of any technology is to make people's lives easier, more bearable, and more enjoyable. You praise weapons because you are essentially immature about understanding technology and their applications.

What is it that the microwave oven COULD NOT have come from the Soviet Union or any other communist country ?

Note I said 'could not'. To say 'could not' implies there is an impenetrable barrier and that barrier is -- communism.

- Were the principles of microwave radiation and behaviors unknown in Russia ?

- Was metallurgy unknown ?

- Was materials science unknown ?

- Was electronics unknown ?

Russians made satellites, aircrafts, ships, and tanks, so that means they know ALL of the items above. But then why COULD NOT the microwave oven came from Russia ?

Because the microwave oven is a consumer device that make lives more convenient, even if just a little. Whoever wants to make people's lives more convenient naturally want to be compensated for it -- capitalism.

Take the irrational consumer desire to see their food inside the oven, for example. Why do you want ( not need ) to see your food cooking inside the microwave oven ? But the capitalist's job is not to question why the people want something. His job is to provide the solution(s) for what the consumers want.

Microwave radiation could penetrate glass, so an all glass solution is not practical. So what is the solution to that irrationality and ended up making the capitalist a lot of money ?

Do you see the mesh screen inside the glass door ? The holes are smaller than the operating freq so no signals could escape.

You think am making this up ?

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Waves/mwoven.html
The wavelength of the microwaves is about 120 times the size of the holes, and can't "see" the holes to get out.
Communism stifles imagination, which in turn suppresses innovation, except for the few cases where creators are allowed to intellectually flourish and their efforts rewarded. Where were those exceptions ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed_city

Soviet creators were awarded only if their creations were for military usages. It is not that none of them can figure out how to make the microwave oven door transparent and still contain microwave radiation. But the Soviet political and economic system would not allowed Russians to exercise their intellect other than where the government directed them.

So stop blaming allegedly 'theft' by the West. Whatever the West produces, the Soviets could acquire them and reproduce. In other words, stole them from us. But then, why should you steal the microwave oven when you know that you cannot make any money with it -- as in mass production -- back home ? The result is that Soviet/Russian lives are far less convenient than Western peoples. When I played tourist in East Germany when it existed, and yes I am that old, my Levi jean would attract attention from both men and women. Men wanted to buy it to impress women, and women want me because they know I have more money than most East German men. The political and economic system suppresses creativity and discourages rewards to the point that you cannot produce desirable clothing, and you want to blame the West for 'stealing' your ideas ?

Give us a break...:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom