What's new

Why is Pakistani culture so formal?

solid snake

Reaction score
I have grown up in Pakistan and I know how formal our culture is. One is supposed to say salaam each time one sees a person, even if you said salaam in the morning and are coming home from school, you see that person first thing you have to say is salaam. In school one is supposed to say "yes sir" and "yes madam".

"Jab barey baat kar rahey hoon tu bachey nahi boltey" (although people are loosening up on this aspect)

I see some fellow Pakistani members of this forum always say "hi" before they type a post or "wasalam" after it or they say "regards" each and every single time.

I came to America and was shocked to see American kids calling their teacher by their names, putting their feet on the desk, or completely ignoring what the teacher said. Here American kids talk to their parents in a manner a Pakistani kid can never dream of. Pakistani people say American kids don't respect their parents, and that may be true, but I've also noticed American kids also say "I love you mom" before hanging up the phone after talking to their mother. This is something we never do.

After I presented my senior project in high school, my teacher got up and asked me if she could hug me, she wanted to be sure I wouldn't be offended lol. Imagine what would happen if a teacher hugged her student in Pakistan.

I also went to an American generals dinner party with my dad and I kept thinking of an ominous, serious cigar smoking scary looking white guy. Turned out he was cracking jokes and going around talking to young people as if he himself was a teenager. I've been to Ft. Myer and Ft. McNair and seen enlisted US soldiers talking candidly with their superior officers without once calling them "sir".

Take a look at this video to see how informal US military culture is.

DqaWdkdFb3Y[/media] - Navy Carrier Squadron "Pump It"

Why does our culture like to create barriers between people? Why can't we all be friends irrespective of age?

To me the American culture is a lot more fun. I enjoy talking to people of all ages on a friendly level instead of pretending to be serious and sombre just because someone is older than me.

Which culture is better in your opinion? Serious and respectful, or brash and friendly?

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you seen a relationship between an average American high school kid with their parents. Well, that should give you enough reasons.

There are some places where a formal atmosphere needs to be maintained. School is definitely one of them. IMO, American school culture is pretty bad.

That doesn't mean, of course, that we sink to the absurd depths seen in the subcontinent, but still, a respectful distance needs to be maintained.

Secondly, the experiment of the west with raising children without a family has flopped. It is quite clear that kids with two parents tend to fare better.

There are a lot of things we can learn from the Americans. At the same time, we can learn from their mistakes.

If you come across Arabic culture, you would really know what formal is!. They say Ahlen wa Sahlen ten times before they really start to say what they mean.

IMO Pakistan culture's formality is due to Islamic influence. I have a book by Munshi ul Mulk Thathwi, secretary of Aurangzeb while he was a still a prince. This is a collection of letters in Persian probably dictated by the Prince and written by the Munshi on his behalf. 80% of the letter is nothing but praise to the king and prayers for his long life and only a couple of lines in the end about the real subject matter.

Muslims in general including the Pakistanis are taught to be polite to their elders. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but I do agree that sometimes the politeness is carried a bit too far.

I am personally against the kids behaving rudely towards their parents and their teachers. Among my generation, we listened to whatever the father or an elder had to say quitely. Didnot necessarily did what we were told; but never answered back.

I still consider that it never hurts to be polite and follow proper etiquette. Western culture has many things that I dont much care about.

If you come across Arabic culture, you would really know what formal is!. They say Ahlen wa Sahlen ten times before they really start to say what they mean.

IMO Pakistan culture's formality is due to Islamic influence. I have a book by Munshi ul Mulk Thathwi, secretary of Aurangzeb while he was a still a prince. This is a collection of letters in Persian probably dictated by the Prince and written by the Munshi on his behalf. 80% of the letter is nothing but praise to the king and prayers for his long life and only a couple of lines in the end about the real subject matter.

Muslims in general including the Pakistanis are taught to be polite to their elders. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but I do agree that sometimes the politeness is carried a bit too far.

I am personally against the kids behaving rudely towards their parents and their teachers. Among my generation, we listened to whatever the father or an elder had to say quitely. Didnot necessarily did what we were told; but never answered back.

I still consider that it never hurts to be polite and follow proper etiquette. Western culture has many things that I dont much care about.

indian culture is very similar. according to tradition, we are supposed to treat our parents and teachers with utmost respect, and get their blessings before doing something or going somewhere. we are not supposed to backtalk at all, and obey their orders, whether we like them or not.

however, very few actually follow this to the rule. the current generation is drifting towards western culture due to its lack of restrictions.

the main attraction of western culture is its lack of formality and restrictions. its easy to be yourself and choose your own path, rather than one somebody else laid down for you.

the problems with western culture are that the lack of restrictions can often make people go wayward and the freeform style of the culture can result in less importance for relationships, making people more materialistic and selfish, and making it harder to establish long term relationships

What is the harm in respecting elders? I mean respect and formal environment are two different things one can oppose formal environment but he can’t oppose respect, man these are our values. Friendship with parents should be there but respect should also be the part of it.

What is the harm in respecting elders? I mean respect and formal environment are two different things one can oppose formal environment but he can’t oppose respect, man these are our values. Friendship with parents should be there but respect should also be the part of it.

There are two extremes actually.

Some cultures prize respect for elders so much, that kids blindly follow what their elders tell them, and society gets stuck in a timewarp.

At the other extreme, we have kids who don't listen to a word their parents have to say, and treat them like their peers. This leads to the disintegration of the family, low academic and other achievement etc. etc.

The ideal path, as usual, lies somewhere in between...

there's nothing wrong with respecting elders. we should respect elders who deserve that respect. sometimes we have to come to the terms that our parents, grandparents or other elders may not actually deserve respect as individuals. respect is not singular. there are certain aspects of a person we may respect and other aspects that we dont. we shouldnt have to pretend to respect an elder in every aspect, cozz inevitably, there will be some aspect where we dont respect them. so far in my life, i have never met a person who deserves respect in every aspect.

we should have the independence to make our own decisions. elders should guide us, and help us make our decisions. they shouldnt make those decisions for us. now if they have to, then they should explain why they did it. they shouldnt tell us to shut up when we question their motives or reasons.

we have to realise that elders can sometimes make mistakes, despite their experience. sometimes they might tell us to do something we feel shouldnt do. then we should have the right to tell them politely, "I cant do that", or "I dont agree with that", and give our reasons why. and they should listen. this is often lacking in eastern societies.

let me tell you a story from my sister's experience.

last year my sister went to india after her high school graduation, and stayed there for 6 months. she spent most of the time with our cousins in banglore, but towards the end of her stay in india, she stayed with my mother's brother, my uncle. my mother's parents stay with my uncle.

now my uncle has a 4 year old son who is a spoilt brat. he would constantly irritate my sister, destroy her stuff, punch her, throw paint on her clothes, force her to play with him for hours at a time and make her life miserable in any other way possible. my uncle and his wife were busy working most of the day. whenever she complained to my grandparents, they would start shouting at her, telling her that she was being fussy and that the kid was small and that it was her duty to care for the child. whenever she complained to my uncle or aunty, they never took my sister seriously and would just scold the kid mildly.

also, my grandparents would restrict my sister from doing things a regular girl her age would do, like wearing shorts or pants inside the house, going out to buy ice cream (the store is about 30 metres from the house, and in a very safe locality), going shopping with my uncle etc. and whenever she asks why they are restricting ehr, they would say, "Girls should stay in the house".

now dont get me wrong, my sister and i love our grandparents very much, but it is extremely frustrating when they restict you and dont even give a good reason for it. its that aspect of our culture that has to change.

Have you seen a relationship between an average American high school kid with their parents. Well, that should give you enough reasons.

American kids do argue with their parents more than the average Pakistani kid, but this does not imply disrespect. In this country everyone has a job and car after the age of 16. This means kids here don't rely on their parents for money, and they go out almost daily to work, after which they hang out with their friends. The kids feel like it's their right to spend money and their time as they wish, within resonable limits, such as being home by 11 o clock on school nights. In America kids "grow up" much faster and assume responsibilites faster. The are much more independent than a Pakistani kid of this age, and as soon as they turn 18, they move out. Even if they're going to college in the same town, they still move out and that is what the parents want as well because this is seen as a sign of adulthood and responsibility. Parents want their kids to be out in the real world and experiencing what it feels like to have to pay bills and to cook ones own food. Anyone who lives with their parents beyond the age of 18 is usually considered a loser, because why would you be relying on your parents at an age when you are able to work? This age is an imporant part of your life where you're supposed to be learning about the real world.

Pakistanis usually take all the above to mean that the kids hate their parents and want to get away because they don't like their parents, which is not true at all.

There are some places where a formal atmosphere needs to be maintained. School is definitely one of them. IMO, American school culture is pretty bad.

Americans are the most productive nation in the world. Ever wonder where that trait comes from? Their high schools.

Ever since the first day an American steps foot into a high school, they are on their own. Not in the sense that teachers don't help them if they want help, but in the sense that nobody will impose anything on you. Once you're in high school, you get homework, and you're expected to turn it in at a certain date. If you don't, the teacher dosen't ask you why you did not turn it in, one does not need to invent lame excuses. So anyone who dosen't want to do the work is allowed to be a bum, and they get 0s.

If you are born to be an idiot, you will always be an idiot, no matter how much "discipline" someone tries to hammer into you. In high schools here there is no uniform, kids can go home or to any off-campus restaurant during lunch break, and they're allowed to bring their cars. There is no checking of silly things like the length of the hair of male students and jewellery on female students. Most high schools allow you to talk on cellphones in the hallways and bring your PSPs and iPods. Students are regularly seen making out in the hallways. All these things would be shocking lapses of discipline to a headmaster/mistress/principal in a South Asian school.

Yet, America produces the worlds best scientists, engineers and artists. How does that happen? Because kids who're born to learn will learn. The carefree, informal environment of American schools allows one to think critically and creatively, it allows one to be an individual. Kids dress as goths, preps, jocks, carpenters, skaters, emos, nerds and God knows what else.

Americans value individuality, which is why their schools are not modelled around "discipline" which wants everyone to look the same and behave the same (communism! Watch the music video by Pink Floyd, "We don't need no thought control"). I was told I was too formal by my American teachers. They do not mind students addressing them by name, here if you address someone by their name without any title such as "Mr" or "professor" it is a sign that you like them.

The kids who don't listen to the teachers will end up working at McDonalds or being bus drivers when they grow up. They will pay for their lack of interest in school, while those who did will in high schools have already acquired the skills to succeed on their own, and know that anything can be achieved with hard work in the land of the opportunities.

So, as far as I can see, this nation which has zero discipline in it's schools is beating everyone by a thousand lightyears. Maybe time to rethink the "formal discipline" mantra being practiced in South Asia for centuries ;)

Also, I don't know what are the trends in India, but in Pakistan more and more affluent kids are choosing to drop out of their high schools and finish their O and A levels privately, by studying at tuition centers. There they are not bound by stupid rules that they have to obey in school; they wear what they like, they take their cellphones with them, they talk to their friends as much as they like. They are paying the tuition center good money, so the teachers there let them do whatever they like. Seems to me like there is a connection here - kids like free environments. And they end up getting better grades than those who attend regular schools.

Also elite schools like mine (City) and Karachi Grammar etc are also loosening up their rules. When I was there we used to come to school in our fancy cars, in nike or jordan basketball shoes, and girls in flip-flops, and the schools had given up trying to confiscate cellphones or to stop students from "bunking". I definitely see a trend. The more affluent people become, the more individuality they cherish. It also means that individuality leads to progress and creativity, and "discipline" is good for nothing except raising armies.

Yes, most of our cultures formal influence comes from Islam. But it also is a result of 200 years of British rule. Those people are so snobby, I can't believe it.

Oh and I just realized, America might have it's informal cultural roots in the fact that everyone who came here hated Europe. They were the "rebels" and the poor of Europe, without any snobbishness and "class" in them. Australia is another prime example of a country that was founded by criminals and today they're one of the jolliest, most informal culture in the world.

I don't mean to be racist here, but most rude kids in America are blacks and Hispanics. These kids come from the poorest working class families, and often their father is abusive to their mother. They have no role models in life and their parents are almost illiterate. You can find the equivalent of these in the street kids of Pakistan who've run away from home to sleep on footpaths because their fathers beat them and make them beg for drug money.

Should such parents be respected? I don't think so.

Like I said, not all parents are angels. As humans they are prone to faults and sometimes the kids interest is not in their heart (believe it or not!). I had a classmate in 6th grade. He used to tell me how his father used to savagely beat him with hangars. His old man was a complete psycopath. If any father did that here he'd go to jail for a good 10 years.

Also, one last point on "discipline" in education. Over the years in Pakistan, I got hit by teachers many times (this was in PAF schools, I can't imagine the situation in civilian schools). These slaps have left an impact on me, one that I cannot erase. I remember a Pathan teacher who used to write a math problem on the board, and then turn around and explain. He told us to stop writing when he was explaining. But he used to turn around and instantly erase it, giving us no time to copy it down. Since Pakistan has the "ratta" system (at least the government schools), it was imperative that I copy it down. So one day I was trying to surreptitiously copy from the board while he was explaining, and he caught me. He slapped the living daylights out of me. He slapped me so hard on my neck so many times I'm amazed my head didn't come off. Kids used to be so scared of him that they never learnt any math, they would all concentrate their hardest on not getting slapped by him.

I see how "discipline" helps advance the cause of mathematics in Pakistan.

Dude, my dad was in the military as well, and I remember a lot of informality there as well. Please (in those less hi tech days of the early 90's) the men in my Dads regiment made a skit show on all the officers from the CO down, they later made that into a video. I'll see if I can find it. A video on Youtube made by some very bored military types is hardly a reflection on culture.

Dude, my dad was in the military as well, and I remember a lot of informality there as well. Please (in those less hi tech days of the early 90's) the men in my Dads regiment made a skit show on all the officers from the CO down, they later made that into a video. I'll see if I can find it. A video on Youtube made by some very bored military types is hardly a reflection on culture.

Informality in the Pakistani armed forces is reserved for certain special occassions, such as "golden night" in the PAF academy, the graduation show for the cadets, or concerts at PAF bases where even the base commander is not spared, I remember those. But will the air force ever allow an entire squadron to prance around and produce a music video, including clips of the commanding officer in his bathrobe while brushing his teeth and lip-syncing to a rap song? Will the air force ever allow pilots to lip-sync and headbang with a wig on while flying a C-130? And put it on Youtube to share with the world? The US military encourages such behavior. If you have the Military Channel you may have seen them asking for troops to send in their funny clips.

What would happen to Pakistani troops fighting in FATA if they produced a video like this?

UW1toLy_FMQ[/media] - Dance Party in Iraq

I can imagine the entire country going up in an uproar at how incompetent the army has become.

Last edited by a moderator:
@ Solid snake

Europe is not so different from how America is, atleast northern and western Europe. The society here over the past 50 years has become more individual based. It has its positive sides aswell as some negative points.

Starting about informality at school, i personally think there should be some
discipline at school, but not in that scale they have in Pakistan where they hit pupils. Because here the informality has led to no respect for teachers, when I was in what you can call high school and junior high, we had no respect for teachers, we locked them out of classrooms, called them names and so on too the end that some teachers started to cry. And our school was not bad at all. I now realise that it was not good, when you are young and dont have boundaries in your teenage years it can get pretty ugly.

And about family and individuality, there are a lot of people who move out when they are 18 years old and above. But increased individuality leads to that people tend to think more and more on themself. Parents want kids out of the house because they want time for themself, family often meets only on christmas holidays. And when they see us from Asian countries have very close family ties they tend to want the same. Not everyone, but some.

I personally think that both types of "culture" have good values, too much formality is not good and the same goes about individuality. Some place between would be a good thing.

A question, how come people can have a car and drive around when they are just 16 years old?

any pne can produce a video to show what he want to show to others, if any one is in dought about pak army can come and challange them. he will see what they are

Solid remember Alpha Bravo Charlie, most of that show was shot extempore, they poured water on the 21C's bed, and dragged the Adj's bed(with Adj fast asleep in it) to the middle of a firing range.

It could also be due to the fact that the video is Navy, the nature of the Navy ship is such that the relationships is v informal, I have seen that with Pak Navy people as well, esp submariner, one Sub Skipper (of PNS Ghazi) told me he never insisted on any dress code on his boat. While the air force has a very clear hierachy, stemming from the fact that only officers are fighting men,

Back
Top Bottom