What's new

Why India may not be such an attractive destination for supermarkets

This is not true.Many attractive supermarkets are available in India.

Oh for God sake! No disrespect but i totally agree that India is not such an attractive destination and there is a reason for that. India is like a big fuss wrapped in marketing campaigns that glorifies its large population, multicultures, multi ethnic society which is in fact a major issue faced by them. People go to India with lot of high hopes but when they reach there, they are disappointed. I think if they stop branding India as a marketing tool to gain tourism and exports to other markets, people will come to realize that India can offer more then what is being imagined by the world. But only if they stop promoting India like some product they are trying to sell. Both India and Pakistan along with its neighboring countries should focus on their core issues. Issues like Health, Education and safe environment for all pupils should be its priority.

Basically, people who are healthy and are less exposed to threats have far better chances to educate themselves and give back to society. This is the right way to go about it and once we achieve this. South Asia as a whole will strengthen and get benefit.
I had been part of many international conference organized and every time when a foreigner comes, he/she wants to visit Indian historical sites, national park, temples etc. in evening or when conference is over.

I have suggested a lot of well known Professors especially from US in my field, where they should really visit.

My state attracts more foreigners than any other neighboring countries like Pakistan, Nepal, Bhutan, Bangladesh, Myanmar.

Even Bill Clinton went to Taj Mahal and Ranthambhore National Park when he came to India.

650 million Indian middle class is a hell lot of market, no wonder telecom giants, western car makers, Multi billion conglomerates like Sony, Pepsi, Coca-Cola, Mc Donalds etc., are increasing their penetration in Indian market.

People in my village where they have scarcity of electricity, lives in huts, most of them are farmers, have cheap Chinese mobile phones. Lenovo, Huwaie like Chinese brands are increasing their depth in India.

I can go on and on about what India offers to these people around the world.

1) Respected Sir! You are truly a legend in your own way as well. How nice of you to think that MNC like Coke and Ikea are spending money (lets call that investment to avoid confusion) in India because they think India is *INCREDIBLE". Those people must think of India as something really cool and off the hook to spend oops invest all that money. It has nothing to do with them seeing an untapped market of over a 1 billion ppl? Thats 1Bil mouth, 1Bil products sold. So my naive neighbour, they spend money in this region to make money not because they think its "COOL"

2) About the 5 trillion tourist, oh well! if you think there wasnt any other way to get that done, its your choice. Also, let me clarify on Pakistan's behalf, we have are quite busy with our own channels so we dont know about any incredible India campaign. Hence, when we think Incredible we still have multiple images to relate to it and India doesnt pop up like your wild imagination :)

3) I agree money wont be falling from sky for all this but if a Pakistani was saying this it would have made more sense because we dont have local or national conglomerates as big as some of India's like Dabur, Tata, Birla, Ashok , Reliance etc. During the past many years I am sure they have contributed to your society and that can be re looked into for better steering. Money will not fall out from sky! ;)

at this point in Pakistan and maybe true for India too, buying form big chain stores is nothing more than prestige people like to go there and tell their friends they are going to bla d bla cash and carry but they still do bulk of their shopping from mom and pop stores where they can haggle the price and they can hop from store to store and see different varieties of products and sometime same product with huge price difference. we like to shop and compare before we buy. I am talking about 99% not the 1%

at this point in Pakistan and maybe true for India too, buying form big chain stores is nothing more than prestige people like to go there and tell their friends they are going to bla d bla cash and carry but they still do bulk of their shopping from mom and pop stores where they can haggle the price and they can hop from store to store and see different varieties of products and sometime same product with huge price difference. we like to shop and compare before we buy. I am talking about 99% not the 1%
Actually in India it depends on which one is near and varies with person to person, their income level, buying pattern and availability of time and money.

In Gurgaon and Noida where people have less time due to there busy life as most of them are professional, they like to buy from Malls as all things they require are there and they don't have to go to different shops. Most of my friends, girls included rather like Malls than going to shops. The trend of Malls in middle class is gradually increasing.

India's decision to open up retail sector to draw US$3bn investment | My Sinchew

India's decision to open up retail sector to draw US$3bn investment

NEW DELHI, Sept 20 (Bernama) -- India's decision to allow 51 per cent Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in multi-brand retail will result in investment of US$2.5 billion-US$3 billion in the retail sector over the next five years, primarily into the food and grocery (F&G) vertical.

Capital expenditure in the back-end supply chain will receive a boost given the mandatory 50 per cent investment clause, said CRISIL Research, India's largest independent and integrated research house.

An efficient supply chain will enable direct sourcing of fruits and vegetables, which will boost farmer realisations by 10-15 per cent and still bring down retail prices by 15-20 per cent, it said in a statement.

"Organised retail penetration (ORP) is expected to remain moderate at 10 per cent in 2016-17 compared with seven per cent currently. Moreover, the share of foreign retailers in organised retail is not expected to exceed 10-15 per cent by 2016-17.

"Even in China, where the sector was opened up to FDI 15 years ago, foreign retailers have a share of only 25-30 per cent in organised retail," CRISIL Research's president, Mukesh Agarwal said.

:agree:

having many supermarkets are great, it's easy to people! and average shop owners are trying to upgrade their shops and quality of products they are selling. Competition makes more options for buyers.

1) Respected Sir! You are truly a legend in your own way as well. How nice of you to think that MNC like Coke and Ikea are spending money (lets call that investment to avoid confusion) in India because they think India is *INCREDIBLE". Those people must think of India as something really cool and off the hook to spend oops invest all that money. It has nothing to do with them seeing an untapped market of over a 1 billion ppl? Thats 1Bil mouth, 1Bil products sold. So my naive neighbour, they spend money in this region to make money not because they think its "COOL"

2) About the 5 trillion tourist, oh well! if you think there wasnt any other way to get that done, its your choice. Also, let me clarify on Pakistan's behalf, we have are quite busy with our own channels so we dont know about any incredible India campaign. Hence, when we think Incredible we still have multiple images to relate to it and India doesnt pop up like your wild imagination

3) I agree money wont be falling from sky for all this but if a Pakistani was saying this it would have made more sense because we dont have local or national conglomerates as big as some of India's like Dabur, Tata, Birla, Ashok , Reliance etc. During the past many years I am sure they have contributed to your society and that can be re looked into for better steering. Money will not fall out from sky!

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/centra...destination-supermarkets-3.html#ixzz271CaI8Hl

You Sir are a genius. You can see what multi billion dollar MNCs with their multi million dollar research teams cannot see.Quick..to the office of IKEA and Coca Cola. They are both on the verge of spending 5 billion dollars each on India.

Why shouldn't we? Infact the chap who came with the Incredible India (with an inverted i) should be given some padma bhooshan or something. People which also includes Pakistanis now cannot think incredible without thinking India which brought in 5 million tourists last year.

The money for all this will not fall out of the sky.

That is what i am saying as well. This region has more history and culture then many others. So we should lead the way rather then do whatever every other country does.

You mentioned farmers living in huts without electricity in your village while having mobile phones. That shows priorities being in wrong order! Since when mobile became more important then having a roof over your head and electricty? :)

I had been part of many international conference organized and every time when a foreigner comes, he/she wants to visit Indian historical sites, national park, temples etc. in evening or when conference is over.

I have suggested a lot of well known Professors especially from US in my field, where they should really visit.

My state attracts more foreigners than any other neighboring countries like Pakistan, Nepal, Bhutan, Bangladesh, Myanmar.

Even Bill Clinton went to Taj Mahal and Ranthambhore National Park when he came to India.

650 million Indian middle class is a hell lot of market, no wonder telecom giants, western car makers, Multi billion conglomerates like Sony, Pepsi, Coca-Cola, Mc Donalds etc., are increasing their penetration in Indian market.

People in my village where they have scarcity of electricity, lives in huts, most of them are farmers, have cheap Chinese mobile phones. Lenovo, Huwaie like Chinese brands are increasing their depth in India.

I can go on and on about what India offers to these people around the world.

That is what i am saying as well. This region has more history and culture then many others. So we should lead the way rather then do whatever every other country does.

You mentioned farmers living in huts without electricity in your village while having mobile phones. That shows priorities being in wrong order! Since when mobile became more important then having a roof over your head and electricty? :)
Building a house is way expensive and they don't have problem living in huts, they actually make better house slowly. Electricity is what they can't get because of low production. Its govt. duty and Solar technology is not that famous.

Mobile they use are way cheaper and so does the network. They buy what they think is important and having communication device is become a necessity rather than a luxury.

Ifound same goods cheaper in malls as compared to mum daddy shop even on consumer stuff and perishables malls seems to be much cheaper than my mohalla kirana store.

A trillion dollar retail market is not attractive? Who the hell has conducted the study :cheesy:

From personal experience - for groceries, in my neighbourhood there is an outlet of a big retail chain and there is also a vegetable Mandi with 7 or 8 vegetable and fruit stalls. I prefer to shop at the Mandi because the goods are more fresh and the price is pretty much the same. Also, parking and access is easy.

what people (especially the bbc) fails to understand is that some of the states in India are larger than the largest countries in Europe . and have a much larger population . i am living in hyd at the moment , on the outskirts , yet there are close to 3 spencers , 4 More, 3 vijayta , and 4 heritage supermarkets . all in a 3 km radius. so if these guys survive and make money - no reason for others not too:)

Back
Top Bottom