What's new

Why I'll Never Return To Vietnam

I doubt that you ever been in Viet Nam.

One of the engineers I work with recently returned from a temporary duty (TDY) assignment from Shanghai. His assignment for the past few months was to familiarize our assembly clients with our new products. His experience with mainland China, past and present, is that there is ENDEMIC corruption and collusion between the Chinese organized crime families and the police, national and local. He was robbed. The police keep tabs on all foreigners, especially if a person is white and obviously American, which my friend is. On this assignment, he was alone. The local Chinese police monitored his movements, determined that he actually was alone, and tipped off one of the local gangs. The police would get a cut, of course.

My friend was leaving his hotel (after work) early evening for a meal and some shopping for his family when he was accosted and turned into an alley. The policemen were within sight and they turned away. The robbers had a portable credit card scanner and they proceeded to 'swipe' his Wells Fargo VISA. When they found out his card was 'locked', they forced him to call WF to 'unlock' his card. According to my friend, the WF agent asked pretty much a rhetorical question that he was being robbed. He confirmed that he was. The fact that WF locked his card so quickly is telling. It means that such robbery of foreigners is common enough that WF had a quick and readied procedure to deal with an unauthorized attempt to access a client's money. The portable credit card scanner must have been the giveaway.

Then they forced him to another street that have a local bank ATM. When they found out that this method still did not worked, they threatened to beat him up unless he can convince WF to 'unlock' his VISA. There was no way that WF was going to release his accounts. From the moment he was forced to call WF, the bank locked all of his accounts, from savings to checking to retirement investments. They secured everything. The only way they would release his access was if he was calling from an American consulate number. In the end, the robbers took about $300 in cash and let him go, ruffled but relatively unharmed.

The Chinese police, national and local, know that if any real physical harm come to any foreigners, especially the white gweilos, in sufficient numbers to generate worldwide attention, they would be forced to do real police work. So the best thing to do are simple intimidation, rough up the foreigner a bit, take whatever is available at the moment, then split the loot. The local police commander does not need to know and usually he does not want to know what/how his officers do to supplement their incomes. As long as his officers and the crooks target single foreigners and scare the person a bit, not much will happen in the media since the Chinese government controls the media anyway.

I'm calling BS on this.

You might get ripped off in some tourist places .... But not generally everywhere ....and it's true for most asian countries ....generally the entry fee or tickets for foreigner are higher in Vietnam .... But Vn is nice place to be .... I was in Hcmc for two month , and I stayed in a hotel for a week and rest of the time with a family in china town ....VN people are very nice .... I was doing my surgical elective in Cho ray hospital ... Most of the doctors there where very friendly ... It's one of the most memorable time of my life ....I have also lived in china for five years ... Some minor incident might happen ... But we should try to forget them ..... overall VN is nice place to be ... I would gigot recommend it .... just be better prepared and do proper planning and research before going there ....

the CEO of Facebook in Vietnam yet facebook is banned in Vietnam :P

Facebook is banned? I still visit it every day.
If VN government ban Facebook, maybe they will not allow the FB CEO to VN

LOL lookat how proud these viettrolls about fb founder vistited their country and yet they banned fb in vietnam, what this telling us is that these viettrolls their moral is there for the highest bidder

If unsure, you should not be so loud.

chinese should not set foot on vietnam except to bring violence and horror and carnage.

but this anglo-american is an arrogant prick who is ignorant of the basic ways tourism industry works in third-world countries.

chinese should not set foot on vietnam except to bring violence and horror and carnage.

but this anglo-american is an arrogant prick who is ignorant of the basic ways tourism industry works in third-world countries.

Im no fan of Vietnam with them selling China out during the Sino Soviet split but I wouldnt want them to suffer 'violence, horror and carnage' - no civilised people would.

The article by a penny pinching white dude, so fook him.

Think about what did western white men and Japanese in China in the last century, bring violence and horror and carnage, massacres in Peking and Nanking; and now ?

God, what is wrong with you :lol:

Yeah, I've seen plenty of them in Bangkok :lol: And some go for more *ahem* "sensual" purposes :D

Hey I did visit Vietnam.... Its a wonderful place with lots of good people and good looking babes.... The weather is same like kolkata.... Hot and Humid.....

People were very respectful ..... you can get cheated by cabbies any where even in Paris, Rome or Karachi to Mumbai any where... People see the Tourist they try to earn more... but there are stores where price tag is there and you will not feel cheated. I was 2 week in All over the place.... Definitely will like to go back...... One more thing My Guide was a Girl:D

If you intend to travel Vietnam, it's best to take the tours with a Vietnamese guider.
If you want to be a backpacker to self-discovery, you have to accept unwanted nuisances.
Even Vietnamese visitors, if not careful still be troublesome, which we call "bị chặt chém"
In recent years, VN government has made efforts to "professionalize" the tourism industry, but has not resolved all problems.

Welcome to Vietnam!

BS: Travel backpacks are usually very low cost. Even unemployed people in America can travel Vietnam this way.

If you intend to travel Vietnam, it's best to take the tours with a Vietnamese guider.
If you want to be a backpacker to self-discovery, you have to accept unwanted nuisances.
Even Vietnamese visitors, if not careful still be troublesome, which we call "bị chặt chém"
In recent years, VN government has made efforts to "professionalize" the tourism industry, but has not resolved all problems.
Welcome to Vietnam!

When you have chance in tour to visite china, please do not go to the shop where tour guide take you in, they can have a commitment to share interest from your purchasing, the prices will be in sky. Let go as far as possible. One thing is more importance, by the payment you have to take care about you money, if you don't keep your eye on it, shop owner can quickly change your money to fake money paper then complaint that your money is fake. :enjoy:

When you have chance in tour to visite china, please do not go to the shop where tour guide take you in, they can have a commitment to share interest from your purchasing, the prices will be in sky. Let go as far as possible. One thing is more importance, by the payment you have to take care about you money, if you don't keep your eye on it, shop owner can quickly change your money to fake money paper then complaint that your money is fake. :enjoy:

This thread is about travelling in vietnam not china you fool

You have a intention to insulting Viets, but in China the situation is same or worsen bro. I remider you that number of Chinese tourists visited Vietnam is belong to first place.:D

LOL is it your beloved american daddy insult you not me you really is retard

Back
Top Bottom