What's new

Why does India keep renaming their cities?

^^ Any issues with people waning to give native names to their places?

You think Pakistanis are the inheritors of Mughals?

It underscores the point that many in India do not accept Islam and Muslims as being part of India's heritage.

To them, Muslim names are abhorrent and must be eliminated from circulation -- like British names.

It underscores the point that many in India do not accept Islam and Muslims as being part of India's heritage.

To them, Muslim names are abhorrent and must be eliminated from circulation -- like British names.

Imagine what the people had to go through, when Aurungzeb would come and burn their village down, and then name it after himself. They didn't even have the internet to vent back then.

IMO depending on their deeds the name should stay or go. All the persian and afghan invader names should go. All the tyrant Mughal ruler names should go. Rest can stay.

not true at all...
we dont want names of muslims rulers like aurangzeb who killed our kings and gurus...

There were lot of cities named Alexandria. But people changed the name, no one had any issue whatsoever.

Iskandariya, Iraq
Alexandria Asiana, Iran
Alexandria Ariana, Afghanistan
Alexandria Bucephalous, Pakistan, on the Jhelum
Alexandria on the Caucasus, Afghanistan
Alexandria on the Oxus, Afghanistan
Alexandria Arachosia, Afghanistan now called Kandahar (a contraction of Iskandahar)
Alexandria on the Indus, Pakistan
Alexandria Eschate, "the Farthest", Tajikistan
Alinda, Alexandria on the Latmos, previously and afterward called Alinda in Caria, present-day Turkey
Cebrene, formerly Alexandria
Alexandria Troas, Turkey
Merv, Turkmenistan, sometimes also called Alexandria

Imagine what the people had to go through, when Aurungzeb would come and burn their village down, and then name it after himself. They didn't even have the internet to vent back then.

IMO depending on their deeds the name should stay or go. All the persian and afghan invader names should go. All the tyrant Mughal ruler names should go. Rest can stay.

I can understand the names of rulers who were particularly brutal, but many names are derived from common culture, which was Muslim. By that logic, you will discard all Muslim heritage, which is precisely the Hindutva agenda.

Aso, the history of the region is rife with conquests, with the attendant aftermath. Are you saying it is OK to have a brutal Hindu or Sikh ruler, but not a Muslim ruler -- even if the Muslim ruler was born in the subcontinent?

I can understand the names of rulers who were particularly brutal, but many names are derived from common culture, which was Muslim. By that logic, you will discard all Muslim heritage, which is precisely the Hindutva agenda.

Aso, the history of the region is rife with conquests, with the attendant aftermath. Are you saying it is OK to have a brutal Hindu or Sikh ruler, but not a Muslim ruler -- even if the Muslim ruler was born in the subcontinent?

Developero ,

You are not right. Most of the cities having muslim names are still there and no one is asking for change.
For example in UP only we districts such as
Faizabad
Jaunpur
Firozabad
Shikohabad
Allahabad
Fatehpur
Azamgarh
Muradabad etc

So its not about changing muslim names at all.

I do not remember any brutal Hindu ruler since chandragupta period..but all names during Mauryan empire like patliputra(now patna) were changed by muslim rulers..

also i do not know which city name was changed even though it was just muslim cultural name..can anyone please show me??

there is city named islampur in maharashtra..nobody has ever asked to change that name..

See take Aurangabad in Maharashtra for example. According to wiki, the village where the city was founded was called Khadki. Was changed to Fatehnagar after some local chieftain by the name of Fateh Khan. But Aurungzeb came and changed it to Aurungabad. Fatehnagar was a muslim name too, but Aurungzeb felt the need to change it. So people know why the name of city is what it is.

Besides these are just the major cities, there are hundreds of small towns and villages strewn around India with Muslim names. So as far as common Muslim culture is concerned its looked after by the names like Mohemmdabad and Aligarh and Aliganj. But we are not going to glorify some cruel ruler like Aurungzeb by having a city named after him.

No its definitely not. I can't think of any place in India named after a cruel Hindu or Sikh ruler though.

I can fully accept that Aurangzeb was particularly brutal, but the list of names in the original post has names like Allahabad, Hyderabad, etc.

Anyway, it's an internal Indian matter -- I can understand getting rid of British names, but I was surprised to see the other list.

I can fully accept that Aurangzeb was particularly brutal, but the list of names in the original post has names like Allahabad, Hyderabad, etc.

Anyway, it's an internal Indian matter -- I can understand getting rid of British names, but I was surprised to see the other list.

Just because some fundos proposed name change, it won't happen. And they will never change the city names for religious reasons. Most of the changes are to revert back to the Pre-British names.

In my opinion, its as simple as people wanting the native local name for their places. No need to look it through any other lens.

The new names are not religious names but the native names for the places.

I agree, some of the proposed names are politically motivated. It happens all the time, politicians play their own cards. Even hindu names are changed for political reasons. Like Bijnaur changed to Jyotiba Phule nagar, few places as Ambedkar nagar by Mayawati in UP.

I particularly hate the renaming of Connought Place as Rajiv Chowk.

No Delhiite calls it Rajiv Chowk, it's only those who have come to the city in the last 10 years who insist on calling it Rajiv Chowk.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom