What's new

Why does China support Syria's Assad?

Gulf states fall of monarchy is going to happen sooner or later, I will not defend their actions. They are doing what they can for their survival, it is natural. At least they are not killing large numbers of people, if they ever do that, they will also fall.

But if you have seen my previous post, these states were created due to Sykes Picot which created instability in my opinion. Unless the region integrate again in a GCC+, the instabilities will remain.

Both China and Russia will have no choice but to work with new Syrian regime, but by supporting Assad now, I think they lost some score with not just Syrians but the wider Sunni Muslim world. I just wondered about Chinese reasoning behind this stand, why lose so much and to gain what exactly.

Agreed first part.

Yes the European powers divided the ME on lines that would create division.

Whatever happens with Syria I have mentioned in my previous post China will work with as Libya now.

but by supporting Assad now, I think they lost some score with not just Syrians but the wider Sunni Muslim world. I just wondered about Chinese reasoning behind this stand, why lose so much and to gain what exactly.

Not supporting Assad but keeping foreign Intervention out. as for the highlighted part Yes in the Arab world ,but not in the Non Arab Sunni countries from Central Asia to South to South East Asia.

Final outcome of whatever happens will be China will work with whoever is in power Assad or a new government.

Its not complicated as you guys think

Saudi and Gang(GCC) are pro US and US has monopoly over Saudi oil
So China is insuring its share of oil supply from ME in case of any cold war like situation in future
For this they have aligned their foreign with Iran and hence supporting Assad

There is no shia sunni thing; only China and its interests

Because Russia told China to do so. China won't dare do this without Russian green light. China will regret interfering in Arab business. Post Assad Syria and GCC should cut all ties with China.

China didn't surport any side in Syria, just think the problem of Syria should be solved by people of Syria, too many outside hands will make worse, against out power put hands in Syria not means surport Assad or Opposition, just want they solve their own problem by themselves
BS. Then why don't you complain about Russian and Iranians weapons sent to Syrian government to butcher the people. Or why you don't complain about Iranian, Iraqi and Hezbollah soldiers sent to murder Syrians?

Because Russia told China to do so. China won't dare do this without Russian green light. China will regret interfering in Arab business. Post Assad Syria and GCC should cut all ties with China.

Partnership of China and Russia is Not Based on "Green Light" . Its Based on Mutual Interests .You might be Talking about Saudi Relationship with United States :) .

BS. Then why don't you complain about Russian and Iranians weapons sent to Syrian government to butcher the people. Or why you don't complain about Iranian, Iraqi and Hezbollah soldiers sent to murder Syrians?

that's the problem of Russia Iran Iraq or others, not China's problem, only hope Syria can solve by themselves, too many weapon wenting to Syria will bring big casualties, China think that put Syria into a box and lock it, then they will solve their own problem by themselves within some time, then put Syria out no matter who win who lost, that's the choice of people of Syria themselves

Not supporting Assad but keeping foreign Intervention out. as for the highlighted part Yes in the Arab world ,but not in the Non Arab Sunni countries from Central Asia to South to South East Asia.

Ok, so you are saying China does not support Assad but is just making sure that there is no foreign intervention, or in a way taking a sort of neutral stand. But the result for Chinese and Russian actions at the UN is that it protects Assad and helps him to continue his killing spree, unfortunately, if I may say so at the risk of sounding repetitive and argumentative.

I am not sure about Non Arab Sunni countries stand, it varies from country to country, but most do not like to see a Shia-sunni fight and Muslim on Muslim killings. Given a choice most would like to see it resolved sooner than later instead of a protracted stalemate.

Thanks for answering my questions, I think I understand Chinese position a little better now from the posts in this thread.

Only when America gives the green light to you. :azn:

Because Russia told China to do so. China won't dare do this without Russian green light. China will regret interfering in Arab business.

I doubt that.

Post Assad Syria and GCC should cut all ties with China.

Not gonna happen China has strong ties with Saudi Arabia.

Xinjiang: China Reportedly Defeated Oic Statement On Uighurs, Seeking Observership

Egyptian Embassy Officer Haitham Safey (protect) told
PolOff July 30 that PRC efforts to quash a proposed statement
by the Organization of the Islamic Conference (OIC)
condemning the Chinese government's response to the July 5
unrest in Xinjiang and its treatment of Muslim Uighurs
(reftels) had succeeded. He said that the effort, led at
China's behest by Egypt, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan, had led
to the cancellation of debate on the subject scheduled for
July 21, and the concept of a declaration on Xinjiang was now
dead.

Partnership of China and Russia is Not Based on "Green Light" . Its Based on Mutual Interests .You might be Talking about Saudi Relationship with United States :) .

Saudi relations with US is based on mutual interest. When Obama last visited KSA he begged the king to raise oil output to reduce prices but king Abdullah basically told him to **** off. China on the other hand was told by Russia to veto the UN resolution. Its unimaginable that China would veto a UN resolution about a middle eastern issue without Russia's support. Name one incident if you can.

Its not complicated as you guys think

Saudi and Gang(GCC) are pro US and US has monopoly over Saudi oil
So China is insuring its share of oil supply from ME in case of any cold war like situation in future
For this they have aligned their foreign with Iran and hence supporting Assad

There is no shia sunni thing; only China and its interests

I just listened to a good part of the hour long video in OP. Its a very good source and it answers many questions about China's stands on many issues. And it supports the above theory that it could be about China's need for Iran's oil and gas.

Russia does not need oil from Iran, for Russia it is more of a strategic move to support Iran and trying to maintain its hold on its only ally and base in the Mid-east. As mentioned in my geopolitics of Eurasia+ thread below, Russian reach can potentially include Iran in the future, in addition to the 7 stans:
http://www.defence.pk/forums/world-affairs/180767-geopolitics-eurasia-region.html

So this then makes it quite clear that the real source of the problem lies with Iran's current regime and its desire to spread pan-shia extremism in the Arab world, which ends up creating Shia-sunni conflicts among Arabs. To summarize:

- this is not about Iranian people, but about Iran's current regime only (IRGC, Basij, theocratic establishment etc.) who probably engage in these activities for survival and continuation of their rule
- Russia is siding with Iran, so it does not alienate this regime in Iran, for strategic reasons both in Iran and in Syria
- China is siding with Iran, so it does not alienate the regime in Iran, for oil, gas etc., mainly economic reasons
- no one seriously believes that there could be a Russian or Chinese spring, so concern about "stability/sovereignty" is mentioned to confuse and hide the real issue? or is stability and sovereignty a big concern for both China and Russia (a supposedly democratic country)?

Unfortunately some people got caught in the middle of all this and a lot of people are ending up dead.

Saudi relations with US is based on mutual interest. When Obama last visited KSA he begged the king to raise oil output to reduce prices but king Abdullah basically told him to **** off. China on the other hand was told by Russia to veto the UN resolution. Its unimaginable that China would veto a UN resolution about a middle eastern issue without Russia's support. Name one incident if you can.

why would Russia ask China to Veto??? .... Dont Russia have a veto power itself.

A reverse question: the support of China for the Assad regime which could change the intervention of the west?
I think not.
You see, China could not even save its ally Khmer Rouge when Vietnam had decided to intervene in Cambodia...

That already happened in Indonesia, they were massacring their own Indonesian citizens of Chinese ethnic descent.

Our duty is to Chinese citizens, not Indonesian citizens. We may take a moral stand against it but we certainly would not and did not call for NATO to come and do one of their regular regime-change jobs.

Interesting thought. You mean China won´t intervene if similar riots happen again, in Indonesia or Malaysia for instance?
I remember one of the reasons why China invaded Vietnam in 1979 was "mistreatment" of Chinese-Vietnamese citizens.

Why in 1979?

Interesting thought. You mean China won´t intervene if similar riots happen again, in Indonesia or Malaysia for instance?
I remember one of the reasons why China invaded Vietnam in 1979 was "mistreatment" of Chinese-Vietnamese citizens.

Why in 1979?

Just a pretext for invasion.

For instance, ethnic Chinese were mistreated to in Cambodia during Pol Pot era, Yet PRC supported Pol Pot regime.

Back
Top Bottom