What's new

Why do people believe the Universe has no purpose/cause?

Falcon29

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
This is something I was thinking about today, so if the science community can't define a purpose or cause for this universe does it mean they can never define such a thing in the future?

Also, are there things we just can't explain? Or things we can't explain don't exist?

And if things we can't explain are an possibility does it make sense to not consider that possibility in the context of the evaluation of the Universe?

@Ravi Nair

I'd like to start with you for no particular reason. :)

Last edited:
This is something I was thinking about today, so if the science community can't define a purpose or cause for this universe does it mean they can never define such a thing in the future?

Also, are there things we just can't explain? Or things we can't explain don't exist?

And if things we can't explain are an possibility does it make sense to not consider that possibility in the context of the evaluation of the Universe?

@Ravi Nair

I am not intellectual enough, or articulate enough to do justice to this topic. Still......

There is no purpose to this universe, until Humans came along. And this purpose is subjective. All the elements in this planet found no use, no purpose until Humans came along, put their thinking caps on, and defined a purpose for it, usually to suit them.

It's like looking at a work of art, you make a judgement on the purpose or the artist's motivation behind it based on your subjective take that is informed by you views, which are in turn informed by your past experiences, upbringing, emotions and intellectual viewpoints.

Universe is a blank canvass where right now, people of all hues and colours, religions all draw their own conclusions on.

As for your last question, It depends. Is the thing that can't be explained knowable? if it is a known quantity, it should be considered.

Especially if it is a scientific question.

I am not intellectual enough, or articulate enough to do justice to this topic. Still......

There is no purpose to this universe, until Humans came along. And this purpose is subjective. All the elements in this planet found no use, no purpose until Humans came along, put their thinking caps on, and defined a purpose for it, usually to suit them.

Do you mean we perceive that it had no purpose from our perspective or to us?

It's like looking at a work of art, you make a judgement on the purpose or the artist's motivation behind it based on your subjective take that is informed by you views, which are in turn informed by your past experiences, upbringing, emotions and intellectual viewpoints.

It has chemistry. :)

Universe is a blank canvass where right now, people of all hues and colours, religions all draw their own conclusions on.

Why do people behave this way naturally?

As for your last question, It depends. Is the thing that can't be explained knowable? if it is a known quantity, it should be considered.

What I meant here was if there are things we can't explain, does that mean there is something beyond our imagination that 'exists' according to our definition of existence or does it mean it's out of our realm of our understanding or is it just really impossible to draw to a conclusion?

Religion in a nutshell.

I'm trying to keep religion out of this discussion, since your brought it up though, couldn't I also say religion was not man made but intended for human lifestyle?

Dude, of course they have explained it, and are continuously expanding on it. Imagine, if you could think *today*, there must've been scientists doing it for over many millennia. :D

@Ravi Nair

Dude, of course they have explained it, and are continuously expanding on it. Imagine, if you could think *today*, there must've been scientists doing it for over many millennia. :D

They've explained a purpose or cause to this Universe? I must have missed out on something.

@Ravi Nair

What do you mean by the universe having a purpose?

(BTW purpose and cause are two different things, and therefore two different questions.)

What do you mean by the universe having a purpose?

(BTW purpose and cause are two different things, and therefore two different questions.)

How about these three, purpose, cause and meaning?

How about these three, purpose, cause and meaning?
Then you have three things to explain.

1) What do you mean by purpose of the universe?
2) What do you mean by cause of the universe?
3) What do you mean by meaning of the universe?

I can understand the second question, but not the other two. Especially the last one. It is similar to people who ask what is the meaning of life, and I reply "what is the meaning of meaning of life"?

The best answer was given by Douglas Adams in "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" - the meaning of life is 42. I suggest you read that book, if you haven't.

Then you have three things to explain.

1) What do you mean by purpose of the universe?
2) What do you mean by cause of the universe?
3) What do you mean by meaning of the universe?

I can understand the second question, but not the other two. Especially the last one. It is similar to people who ask what is the meaning of life, and I reply "what is the meaning of meaning of life"?

The best answer was given by Douglas Adams in "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" - the meaning of life is 42. I suggest you read that book, if you haven't.

Well I'm seeking to hear the perspective of the scientific community and keeping religion out of this, so here I go...

1.) Is there a reason we exist?
2.) Is there something we're supposed to strive for or is this just what it is?
3.) Why is this what it is? Why do we exist?

I'm trying to keep religion out of this discussion, since your brought it up though, couldn't I also say religion was not man made but intended for human lifestyle?

All religions are man made. They were intended in the past as a political tool to motivate the masses. Today they're used for the same purpose.

Why do people behave this way naturally?

If ever there was an argument that was compelling that has been made for the existence of an intelligence beyond our comprehension, it is our intelligence, the only tool for comprehending the universe.

As for things that can't be explained in the Universe, I think for me at least we lack the tools whether it's technology, or the lack of investigation.

I have faith in the Human mind. I think it can understand a lot of things that were deemed impossible.

It's just we lack the tools, or we don't have a corrobrating evidence to support our theories.

Keep religion out, for the time being.

Yes, this is a good topic, don't want it to get shut down.

@kbd-raaf :-)

Back
Top Bottom