What's new

Why are the custom duties so high for importing a car?

There are already a lot of Complains about POF Pistols, and I have heard that they are sent back to Turkey. I want to buy something for lifetime, as I have a lot of other responsibilities as well!

Depends what you want the pistol for.

Also I would not believe in the rumour mill re POF Sarsilmaz. I've shot plenty of Turkish made pistols and you can't go wrong with those utilizing CZ platform, plain and simple.

Also you won't go wrong with any Norinco 9mm. Those were 40k back in 2014, not sure what's the price now. I have a Norinco TT amongst others, paid 18k back then.

For home defence these 9mm will do just fine. And pistol will last a lifetime of properly looked after, and these will last a 'lifetime'.

Even DSA TruShot (local, produced for over 5yrs now) is a good SD pistol and you will get good support from factory as well. These have been put through some tough tests.

Just look at motorcycles, Honda and Yamaha are still selling the same designs even before I was born. The only thing they did was change the shape of the light other wise their bikes look the same.
They are charging arm and a leg for pieces of junk.

They will keep selling those models as long as there is demand. CD70 is a hot seller for a reason, it's well built to withstand the local conditions (roads etc), can be easily repaired anywhere in Pakistan, and mileage per litre is what locals want.

Until the dynamics of the demand change, motorcycle companies will not change models.

Yamaha have introduced Asian model but those are not selling like older model Honda and Suzuki are.

Newer bikes are nowhere as rugged in build as the older designs. Manufacturers will move to new designs when the consumers want to move. What you call junk is what majority consumers want and minority don't drive the market dynamics.

They will keep selling those models as long as there is demand. CD70 is a hot seller for a reason, it's well built to withstand the local conditions (roads etc), can be easily repaired anywhere in Pakistan, and mileage per litre is what locals want.

Until the dynamics of the demand change, motorcycle companies will not change models.

Yamaha have introduced Asian model but those are not selling like older model Honda and Suzuki are.

Newer bikes are nowhere as rugged in build as the older designs. Manufacturers will move to new designs when the consumers want to move. What you call junk is what majority consumers want and minority don't drive the market dynamics.

That is the exact kind of non-sense they want to peddle to local consumers. They are selling an obsolete design for both engine and bike, and this the very excuse they are using to not to innovate and progress with times. I am not even sure if they are still using the same 2 stroke engines from the day they started to import these models back in the 80's. The government must enforce not only newer emission standards but force these assemblers to come up with newer designs.

The consumers have no choice as all the manufacturers are a part of a mafia which have no incentive or feel the need to innovate as they are already selling substandard outdated designs to the market and than use the very stupid excuse of the market demands.

Newer bikes are not rugged, are you kidding me. I regularly race in Motocross, and I can tell you what rugged actually means. The reason these bikes dont last is because of their substandard designs and build quality. Your are regurgitating the same talking points as used by local assembler mafia.

Buy and import a hybrid car.... Something like grace, vezel from honda or camry, axio, fielder or premio from toyota..
The duties are less on these hybrid examples.

That is the exact kind of non-sense they want to peddle to local consumers. They are selling an obsolete design for both engine and bike, and this the very excuse they are using to not to innovate and progress with times. I am not even sure if they are still using the same 2 stroke engines from the day they started to import these models back in the 80's. The government must enforce not only newer emission standards but force these assemblers to come up with newer designs.

The consumers have no choice as all the manufacturers are a part of a mafia which have no incentive or feel the need to innovate as they are already selling substandard outdated designs to the market and than use the very stupid excuse of the market demands.

Newer bikes are not rugged, are you kidding me. I regularly race in Motocross, and I can tell you what rugged actually means. The reason these bikes dont last is because of their substandard designs and build quality. Your are regurgitating the same talking points as used by local assembler mafia.

I have been riding bikes since 87, both in Pakistan, Asia-Pacific and UK.

Do you know the average price of a latest model 125cc Honda or Yamaha or Suzuki in UK? Let me enlighten you .. a 2019 Honda CB125F is £3k!!! Now who will pay nearly 6lakhs in Pakistan for this??? Latest offerings in 125cc from Japanese are all £3k and above ...

When the purchasing power of the consumer can't even touch 6 lakhs for a motorcycle, you are expecting manufacturers to shoot themselves in the foot by getting rid of what's selling and introduce what will barely sell??

And let me tell you something, this new CB125F won't be able to withstand the "off-road' like situation in Pakistan. The alloy wheels on these new bikes can't take the hammering spoke wheels can take, ask any 2p worth adventure rider!!

And stop being silly comparing Motorcross bikes to road bikes. Can those bikes carry 4 passengers like local bikes in Pakistan do?

Bear in mind, motorcycle in Pakistan is not for one rider use, it's for the family and business and everything else.

Here, let me help you with what I said earlier, this time I will make it bigger and read it slow so your brain can register it.

Yes that is exactly what I am saying as far as weapons are concerned.

HAHAHA, I was planning to import few of my bigger CC bikes to Pakistan, the amount of tax they told me literally gave me a hard attack.
From which country ??but as i told before not only import duties dollar prices is also expected to going up either move this time or put it on hold for year or 2

30lakh rupees to import a 1800cc car
That is the double the rate of the car I wish to import.
What caused this and since when have the custom duties been this high?
To ensure that pakistanis keep buying those teen daba suzukis for millions

Thank you for your attempt at educating me, now let me offer my rebuttal to your defence of substandard bikes being offered to local market.

I have been riding bikes since 87, both in Pakistan, Asia-Pacific and UK.

Do you know the average price of a latest model 125cc Honda or Yamaha or Suzuki in UK? Let me enlighten you .. a 2019 Honda CB125F is £3k!!! Now who will pay nearly 6lakhs in Pakistan for this??? Latest offerings in 125cc from Japanese are all £3k and above ...

Honda CBF 125 as per its spec is a 4 stroke 2OHC engine with relative modern looks with disc breaks, that is the bare minimum. Not only the bike is modern looking but being 4 stroke single cylinder gives better economy. Of course I am not gonna compare it to a sub 100cc bike.

Since you had been riding for decades, you will also acknowledge that no attempt by the assemblers had been made to modernise their motorcycles in any meaningful ways, accept for very minor aesthetic changes. The same assembly lines had been used for decades and decades without any real effort being made to modernise the design or tech. I am also very sure there was no R&D efforts being made.

I can not comment with certainty, but I am sure 125 available in UK are not manufactured in UK, instead being imported. Further adding to the cost of the machine, where as assemblers in Pakistan very well be assembling almost 90% of the bike locally and if they still are not than it is clear they have no interest in providing better quality products to local customers.

When the purchasing power of the consumer can't even touch 6 lakhs for a motorcycle, you are expecting manufacturers to shoot themselves in the foot by getting rid of what's selling and introduce what will barely sell??

These assemblers got a strangle hold on the local market with no incentive to change their behaviours or business practices, the excuse being used oh the local buyer lacks the buying power. This excuse can only work up to a certain level beyond that it wont work.

And let me tell you something, this new CB125F won't be able to withstand the "off-road' like situation in Pakistan. The alloy wheels on these new bikes can't take the hammering spoke wheels can take, ask any 2p worth adventure rider!!

That is why the local manufacturers need to do R&D for providing better quality designs with higher reliability. We have spoked wheels, better and modernised suspension setup to coup up with such roads. There is a lot that can be done. Not these bikes are handling off road situations any better, they do tend to break down very often.

And stop being silly comparing Motorcross bikes to road bikes. Can those bikes carry 4 passengers like local bikes in Pakistan do?

Bear in mind, motorcycle in Pakistan is not for one rider use, it's for the family and business and everything else.

You're the one hell bent on defending an inferior product and I am the one being silly? These assemblers for all the money they are charging, provides an inferior and dated design to their customers and Pakistani customers are stuck in an infinite loop of this misery.

No two wheelers is made to carry 4 to 8 people, if we are utilising it in that function it is beyond the capacity and intent of that design, unless you can prove that Pakistani manufacturers specifically designed along those lines.

Your attempts to justify such behaviour is beyond silly. Your last statement regarding bikes being used for everything else is applicable to every other country. But feel free to defend such parasitic behaviours.

To ensure that pakistanis keep buying those teen daba suzukis for millions

That pathetic mehran was still being sold in Pakistan with carburettor for over two decades, and Suzuki refused to modernise it. Pakistanis are being made to pay exorbitant prices for sub standard junk, while these mafias are getting richer and richer and our subsequent governments allowed them to continue with this practice.

Thank you for your attempt at educating me, now let me offer my rebuttal to your defence of substandard bikes being offered to local market.

Honda CBF 125 as per its spec is a 4 stroke 2OHC engine with relative modern looks with disc breaks, that is the bare minimum. Not only the bike is modern looking but being 4 stroke single cylinder gives better economy. Of course I am not gonna compare it to a sub 100cc bike.

Since you had been riding for decades, you will also acknowledge that no attempt by the assemblers had been made to modernise their motorcycles in any meaningful ways, accept for very minor aesthetic changes. The same assembly lines had been used for decades and decades without any real effort being made to modernise the design or tech. I am also very sure there was no R&D efforts being made.

I can not comment with certainty, but I am sure 125 available in UK are not manufactured in UK, instead being imported. Further adding to the cost of the machine, where as assemblers in Pakistan very well be assembling almost 90% of the bike locally and if they still are not than it is clear they have no interest in providing better quality products to local customers.

These assemblers got a strangle hold on the local market with no incentive to change their behaviours or business practices, the excuse being used oh the local buyer lacks the buying power. This excuse can only work up to a certain level beyond that it wont work.

That is why the local manufacturers need to do R&D for providing better quality designs with higher reliability. We have spoked wheels, better and modernised suspension setup to coup up with such roads. There is a lot that can be done. Not these bikes are handling off road situations any better, they do tend to break down very often.

You're the one hell bent on defending an inferior product and I am the one being silly? These assemblers for all the money they are charging, provides an inferior and dated design to their customers and Pakistani customers are stuck in an infinite loop of this misery.

No two wheelers is made to carry 4 to 8 people, if we are utilising it in that function it is beyond the capacity and intent of that design, unless you can prove that Pakistani manufacturers specifically designed along those lines.

Your attempts to justify such behaviour is beyond silly. Your last statement regarding bikes being used for everything else is applicable every other country. But feel free to defend such parasitic behaviours.

I wonder how long the wife of a motorcycle owner would last on a modern design bike sitting sideways on that tiny pillion seat ...

There's a reason why modern design bikes are not successful.

Malaysia has strict and enforced laws he certainly quality of motorbikes improved over the last 2 decades. In Pakistan we struggle to enforce helmets yet you expect Pakistani customers to change their demands overnight.

If you were arguing against car manufacturers in Pakistan, I will agree with you. But on motorbikes, NO! Even mopeds won't cut it in Pakistan, those don't meet the needs of the majority consumers that neither you nor I are (we are a tiny minority).

https://www.honda.com.br/motos/pop-110i

This is 2lakh rupees (converted) ... You are hoping for something like this to be available in Pakistan???

https://www.honda.com.br/motos/cg-160-titan

This is 3.6lakhs ... Now project how many of these will sell in Pakistan at that price?

https://www.pakwheels.com/bikes/yamaha/ybr-125/

1.45laks this Yamaha in Pakistan ... Does it sell more than Honda 125, nope! Design is not what majority want. And this Yamaha is fairly recent technology and design/build.

But you won't get it!

I wonder how long the wife of a motorcycle owner would last on a modern design bike sitting sideways on that tiny pillion seat ...

There's a reason why modern design bikes are not successful.

That is a very valid point, and I have to agree to that. However riding side ways is dangerous and the whole notion of female chastity being affected by riding the bike the way it meant to is ridiculous. In Malaysia and Indonesia, women ride their bikes the way it is meant to be. Guess socially we are long way off from that one.

Malaysia has strict and enforced laws he certainly quality of motorbikes improved over the last 2 decades. In Pakistan we struggle to enforce helmets yet you expect Pakistani customers to change their demands overnight.

If you were arguing against car manufacturers in Pakistan, I will agree with you. But on motorbikes, NO! Even mopeds won't cut it in Pakistan, those don't meet the needs of the majority consumers that neither you nor I are (we are a tiny minority).

Malaysian situation is very different, it was not even on my mind as I am arguing over this topic. The market has a lot of options along with CKD and CBU options, of course CBU being more expensive. The range and type of bikes is pretty diverse, at least for smaller capacity bikes.

I didnt suggested the mopeds for the very same reasons that you highlighted here, it just wont fit the needs of consumers.

We also must enforce road safety standards, we must get out of this mindset.

Yes, I am not aloof to the point that you and me represent a very small minority of riders who can afford to spend not only on the bikes but safety equipment. My point is simple, local assemblers should offer some better options be it engines, suspensions or braking to customers. Using tech from 3 decades ago shouldn't be acceptable and the only way to do that is by allowing new players in the market. This monopolisation of market must be broken.

That is a very valid point, and I have to agree to that. However riding side ways is dangerous and the whole notion of female chastity being affected by riding the bike the way it meant to is ridiculous. In Malaysia and Indonesia, women ride their bikes the way it is meant to be. Guess socially we are long way off from that one.

Malaysian situation is very different, it was not even on my mind as I am arguing over this topic. The market has a lot of options along with CKD and CBU options, of course CBU being more expensive. The range and type of bikes is pretty diverse, at least for smaller capacity bikes.

I didnt suggested the mopeds for the very same reasons that you highlighted here, it just wont fit the needs of consumers.

We also must enforce road safety standards, we must get out of this mindset.

Yes, I am not aloof to the point that you and me represent a very small minority of riders who can afford to spend not only on the bikes but safety equipment. My point is simple, local assemblers should offer some better options be it engines, suspensions or braking to customers. Using tech from 3 decades ago shouldn't be acceptable and the only way to do that is by allowing new players in the market. This monopolisation of market must be broken.

For that the earnings of the majority have to increase.

Demand for different bikes is increasing in Pakistan but it's confined to the single riders who can afford a bit more.

Even Euro 3 spec Derbi bikes imported in Pakistan for around $2k sold a handful only.

Customs duties are high to discourage the import

Check this out.
In US used car market for $30,000(30 lakh PKR) search result on car guru(US used car website). I can get mint condition LUXURY cars Acuras, BMWs, Mercedes, Lexus, Range Rovers etc etc.
Screenshot_20190307-075514_Chrome.jpg

Whereas in Pakistan used car market the same price i.e $30,000(30 lakh PKR) gets you newer/nicer ECONOMY cars like the Toyota, Honda, Nissan etc etc.
Screenshot_20190307-075701_Chrome.jpg

Is it really about purchasing power??? Or is it about scamming people??
Why not let em have nicer cars for same price??? Why artificially inflate the price???

Back
Top Bottom