What's new

Why Are More Pakistanis Happier Than Indians or Chinese?

a survey about 2 years ago found that about 38% of indians out of 1000 gave their identity as indians first, and about only 9% of pakistanis told they were pakistanis, the rest addressed themselves as lahoris, punjabisfirst now does that mean pakistanis are less patroitic, how can a guy decide about a nation by just testing 1000 guys, these polls are ridiculous, and this thread a laugh riot.

Many posters banned for derailing the thread. More to come once I come back after some time. Don't worry... I'm enjoyin it just lik u guys enjoyin trollin

Does everyone realize that the thread is about how the rural economy is doing well and that by significant numbers Pakistanis in a one single poll, expressed satisfaction and contentment with life ---

So why all these negative posts? It's all rather curious and uncouth - Surely there is so much more to discuss, how a rise in prices of commodities can have such huge implications, particularly for political and social trends, the implications for the kinds of attitudes that can gain ground and those that may be rejected - instead you would rather be negative and little with each other and deprive the forum of meaningful discussions - really it's very disappointing, I hope those who have thought that they can derail this thread will reconsider and contribute meaningfully

exactly... wonder y is it so hard to understand :what:

slight use of intellect can make the whole discussion very productive but no.... we have got ppl who have promised to not use it ever

Good to see rural economy doing good and people are happy on that.

Nothing more to say.. Cheers :cheers:

hmm
rural economy rising because of price rise is obvious,but what about the urban poor, would they be equally happy or is it because Pakistan is still a predominantly an agrarian economy whereas India and China are moving towards industrialization.

A good point to observe is that growth does not means happiness . and what about the terrror attacks?
How they do not come into the picture?
I mean of the thousand people sampled did not all experience the same terrorism or
could it be a false national pride that could have affected the survey result.

These are some questions and views I had , would be great if some one clarifies them

Now that's more like it - a super post, really interesting questions to churn over -- The urban poor? Well, yes, I don't think we'll be reading much about them being happy -- actually, I do wonder whether "happiness" is a meaningful concept to the Urban poor -- Is Pakistan predominately an agrarian society? Well, I would tend to agree that it is, on the other hand, society is also transitioning and if I'm not mistaken, I do think I read somewhere that Pakistan is the most urbanized country in South Asia.

And of course the question of personal security in the rural area, seems not to have been part of the poll, though again, I think most acts of terror tend to take place in urban "confines" - but I may be wrong.

Hmm.. well if this survey is indeed true then i think the reason why Pakistanis are more happy than Indians is because they are contented with thier lives and do not dream much. Whereas we Indians are very very ambitious in our lives. Ask any Indian what he wants to become and he will tell you he wants to become a hero, a next tycoon.

Absolutely correct.

Our standards are different.

Again look at India's population. Never trust a survey. Unless they have gone to EVERY INDIAN and have asked them.

I would believe Pakistan slum people are more happier than Indian slum people. Becuase they are abit better of with food, water and living. But they are still suffering.

You want to make your nation happy? Help at those people, they need it.

Again look at India's population. Never trust a survey. Unless they have gone to EVERY INDIAN and have asked them.

I would believe Pakistan slum people are more happier than Indian slum people. Becuase they are abit better of with food, water and living. But they are still suffering.

You want to make your nation happy? Help at those people, they need it.

I can believe this survey.

I am Indian, middle class, living abroad. Not happy.

hmm
rural economy rising because of price rise is obvious,but what about the urban poor, would they be equally happy or is it because Pakistan is still a predominantly an agrarian economy whereas India and China are moving towards industrialization.

A good point to observe is that growth does not means happiness . and what about the terrror attacks?
How they do not come into the picture?
I mean of the thousand people sampled did not all experience the same terrorism or
could it be a false national pride that could have affected the survey result.

These are some questions and views I had , would be great if some one clarifies them

Pakistan is more urbanized than India with 40% of its population living in urban areas vs 30% of India's urban population.

In addition, 60% of Indians (producing 16% of GDP) and 42% of Pakistanis (producing 19.4% of GDP) depend on agriculture for their livelihood....thus data suggests higher rural productivity in Pakistan than India.

But there is less rural poverty in Pakistan than in India. You never hear of any farmers' suicides that have plagued India with over 200,000 farmers taking their lives in the last ten years.

Haq's Musings: Agriculture and Textiles Employ Most Indians and Pakistanis

Pakistan is more urbanized than India with 40% of its population living in urban areas vs 30% of India's urban population.

In addition, 60% of Indians (producing 16% of GDP) and 42% of Pakistanis (producing 19.4% of GDP) depend on agriculture for their livelihood....thus data suggests higher rural productivity in Pakistan than India.

But there is less rural poverty in Pakistan than in India. You never hear of any farmers' suicides that have plagued India with over 200,000 farmers taking their lives in the last ten years.

Haq's Musings: Agriculture and Textiles Employ Most Indians and Pakistanis

thats not a very correct way of looking at rural productivity. also a significant part of rural population is not involved in agriculture. if u want to compare the productivity, it would be better to look at per acre yield for different crops in various countries. and Pakistan is not doing better than india.

however, your initial argument of rising food prices stimulating rural economy through increase in purchasing power of farmer class has significant logic.

also nothing can be said with full confidence about the people living in slums. there is a lot of politics etc which goes on in there. few times ppl were given an alternate piece of land to live on but they came back. in a detailed survey some years back, poverty in slums was calculated at around 40-50% (not too far from the national average at that time). also much of the houses had basic electric appliances as well.

talking about now, i went to a slum few days back and the construction quality etc looked very much like that in a rural town. majority houses had proper drainage system (obviously of low standard). the only problem which i could notice was of a dirty stream passing through the slum with lots of garbage in it. and i am quite sure that it wasnt someone else's garbage.

one guy told me that these people bribed CDA (capital development authority) which in return allowed them to continue with their construction work.

im not saying that these people are rich but they are definitely not those whom we often think about wenever the word 'slum' comes in front of us.

thats not a very correct way of looking at rural productivity. also a significant part of rural population is not involved in agriculture. if u want to compare the productivity, it would be better to look at per acre yield for different crops in various countries. and Pakistan is not doing better than india.

however, your initial argument of rising food prices stimulating rural economy through increase in purchasing power of farmer class has significant logic.

While it's true that not all rural population is in farming, it's also simplistic to look at just per acre crop yields alone.

Since the Green Revolution in 1960s and 1970s, Pakistan's rural economy has become more diverse with the poultry revolution followed by the ongoing livestock revolution and the entry of big food processing giants serving the growing supermarket chains and the FMCG sector in Pakistan.

Among other basic food commodities, per million population wheat consumption in Pakistan is 115,000 metric tons versus 63,000 metric tons in India, according to published data.

According to the FAO, the average dairy consumption of the developing countries is still very low (45 kg of all dairy products in liquid milk equivalent), compared with the average of 220 kg in the industrial countries. Few developing countries have per capita consumption exceeding 150 kg (Argentina, Uruguay and some pastoral countries in the Sudano-Sahelian zone of Africa). Among the most populous countries, only Pakistan, at 153 kg per capita, has such a level. In South Asia, where milk and dairy products are preferred foods, India has only 64 kg and Bangladesh 14 kg. East Asia has only 10 kg.

While it remains very low by world standards, meat and poultry consumption has also increased significantly in Pakistan over the last decade. Per capita availability of eggs went from 23 in 1991 to 43 in 2005, according to research by N. Daghir. Per capita meat consumption in Pakistan now stands at 12.4 Kg versus India's 4.6 Kg.

South Asia Investor Review: Pakistan's Sugar Crisis and Dietary Habits

While it's true that not all rural population is in farming, it's also simplistic to look at just per acre crop yields alone.

Since the Green Revolution in 1960s and 1970s, Pakistan's rural economy has become more diverse with the poultry revolution followed by the ongoing livestock revolution and the entry of big food processing giants serving the growing supermarket chains and the FMCG sector in Pakistan.

Among other basic food commodities, per million population wheat consumption in Pakistan is 115,000 metric tons versus 63,000 metric tons in India, according to published data.

According to the FAO, the average dairy consumption of the developing countries is still very low (45 kg of all dairy products in liquid milk equivalent), compared with the average of 220 kg in the industrial countries. Few developing countries have per capita consumption exceeding 150 kg (Argentina, Uruguay and some pastoral countries in the Sudano-Sahelian zone of Africa). Among the most populous countries, only Pakistan, at 153 kg per capita, has such a level. In South Asia, where milk and dairy products are preferred foods, India has only 64 kg and Bangladesh 14 kg. East Asia has only 10 kg.

While it remains very low by world standards, meat and poultry consumption has also increased significantly in Pakistan over the last decade. Per capita availability of eggs went from 23 in 1991 to 43 in 2005, according to research by N. Daghir. Per capita meat consumption in Pakistan now stands at 12.4 Kg versus India's 4.6 Kg.

South Asia Investor Review: Pakistan's Sugar Crisis and Dietary Habits

a significant chunk of indian population is vegetarian which could be a possible reason for why per capita dairy consumption in pakistan is relatively high.
if you want to do some quick calculations, you should calculate per capita rural income for both india and pakistan. get the size of rural economy (not in % terms) and divide it by rural population.

but then again one cannot be 100% sure as much of wat we considered to be rural in 1998 (our last census) is now urban. eg. half of gujranwala is still considered to be rural. However, if we assume that a similar problem exists in india as well, then it should not effect our results by a great deal.

also the per acre yield i was talking about gives you agricultural productivity and not rural productivity.

Back
Top Bottom