What's new

Why a Chinese space station is more likely to hit Christchurch than Auckland

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Christchurch is among a list of cities more likely to be hit by a Chinese space station that is spiralling towards the earth, with impact expected within the coming weeks.

In 2016, China admitted it had lost control of the 8.5-tonne Tiangong-1 module and was helpless to stop it plummeting through the atmosphere.

The station, potentially carrying highly-toxic substances, is estimated to hit the earth between March 24 and April 19.

A map produced by Aerospace shows the zigzag-like motion of the station as it circulates towards earth. The points of 43° north and south are where it levels out before heading back in the other direction.

BBKuhsQ.img

© MediaWorks NZ Limited Aerospace diagram.

This means it spends a longer amount of time at those two latitudes than at any other latitude on its spiral down. Christchurch lies at this point in the south.

A number of highly populated cities are also situated along this narrow strip, including Toronto, Toulouse, Sapporo, Milwaukee and Trelew in Argentina.

The chance it impacts Christchurch is still only a small likelihood as it moves diagonally around the earth.

BBKunoH.img

© The AM Show The Humanity Star was aboard NZ's first orbital launch.

The station is carrying a "highly toxic" corrosive chemical on board, and hundreds of kilometres could be affected by the poisonous rain of debris.

"Potentially, there may be a highly toxic and corrosive substance called hydrazine on board the spacecraft that could survive re-entry," the US Aerospace Corporation warns.

"For your safety, do not touch any debris you may find on the ground nor inhale vapours it may emit."

The US Environmental Protection Agency warns hydrazine is known to cause seizures, coma and death.

"Symptoms of acute (short-term) exposure to high levels of hydrazine may include irritation of the eyes, nose, and throat, dizziness, headache, nausea, pulmonary oedema, seizures, coma in humans," it says.

"Acute exposure can also damage the liver, kidneys, and central nervous system. The liquid is corrosive and may produce dermatitis from skin contact in humans and animals."

Launched in 2011, the Tiangong-1 station was seen as a symbol of Chinese ambitions in space, and its strength as a global superpower.

It could hit earth from as early as Saturday.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/tech...urch-than-auckland/ar-BBKujTc?ocid=spartanntp

Scientists Narrow Down When China's Falling Space Station Will Burn Up in the Atmosphere

Fortunately there’s almost no chance that any part of the station will reach the ground and even if some parts of the station don’t completely burn up in the atmosphere, most of the Earth is ocean. There’s an extremely small chance a single piece of the satellite will ever hit land, let alone you specifically.

However, if Tiangong-1 does enter the atmosphere near you, it will produce a pretty spectacular fireball. It might be worth keeping an eye on the status of the space station over the next few weeks, on the off chance that it comes down over your head. It won’t hurt, but it should be a pretty amazing show.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/sp...78/china-space-station-reentry-date-march-31/

China should be made to pay for any loses if it hits any populated cities.
Such failed project are a curse to entire humanity.

Further china should be barred from making any such launches in future, given their history of failures.

Further china should be barred from making any such launches in future, given their history of failures.
So funny, Tian Gong1 had long finished its design life and been replaced by Tian Gong 2, it's designed to crash back to earth and burn up, it's not the frist time such things happen, learn before you talk nonsense.

Biggest Spacecraft to Fall Uncontrolled From Space
By Mike Wall, Space.com Senior Writer | July 28, 2016 03:00pm ET
  • aHR0cDovL3d3dy5zcGFjZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzAzNC8yOTgvb3JpZ2luYWwvZ29jZS1zYXRlbGxpdGUtYXJ0aXN0LWltcHJlc3Npb24uanBn

Photo Credit: ESA/AOES Medialab
    Slide 1 of 17

It Came From the Sky
    The European Space Agency's GOCE satellite fell to Earth on Nov. 10, 2013 to meet a fiery doom during re-entry.
    Full Story: 1-ton European Satellite Falls to Earth in Fiery Death Dive The gravity-mapping GOCE satellite weighed about 1 ton and was about 17 feet long (5.3 meters). That's pretty big, but much larger satellites have made uncontrolled re-entries over the years.

Take a look at some of the most massive spacecraft to ever come crashing to Earth outside of their operators' supervision.

Editor's note: Russia's Mir space station is included here as a reference for comparison (due to its massive size), but it was intentionally deorbited in a controlled manner in 2001.
https://www.space.com/13049-6-biggest-spacecraft-falls-space.html

Every now and then space man made objects will crash back to earth, but only Chinese ones make top news and become celebrities.lol..

Mir Space Station Re-Entry And Burnup Over The Pacific Ocean

You have balls to bet with me that tiangong 1 debris will not hit a single populated area or hurt a single person. I guess u do not have the guts. Whoever lose, cease your account and never post again.

You have balls to bet with me that tiangong 1 debris will not hit a single populated area or hurt a single person. I guess u do not have the guts. Whoever lose, cease your account and never post again.
So now you want me to face the brunt of failed chinese projects ?
Its not my fault if china is a failure in space industry, dude, own up.

I m pretty sure Indians will be happy to the heavens if one day they could have their own space stations crashing back to earth.

It happened so many time in the past,what makes you think this one is anything special than others? They are old space stations expired long time ago, they are designed to crash back.

Avoid my challenge, what a coward :lol:
China is a superpower and product are comparable with developed rivals, a bitter truth diffcult to admit by haters :enjoy:

Worrying about the entire humanity? you have a much bigger one coming in just a couple of years.

International Space Station to crash back to earth after 2020

I m pretty sure Indians will be happy to the heavens if one day they could have their own space stations crashing back to earth.

It happened so many time in the past,what makes you think this one is anything special than others? They are old space stations expired long time ago, they are designed to crash back.
They are just troll. Can’t beat you in real life so resort to malign and smearing. More or less show their up bringing and culture :enjoy:

Only China and Russia have operating manned space stations in the space, and they are both gonna crash back to earth, so in stead of giving contribution, China and Russia will cause great damage to the entire humanity. Really don't know how some Indians mind work.

Back
Top Bottom