What's new

Who was the greatest mathematician of ancient and medieval India

firstly i am arab, lol...i am not sure if i should continue to reply to this nonsense.

anyway.....i do not fully believe in the 2 nation theory in the sense that muslims and hindu's cannot live side by side, in that sense the creation of pakistan is a failure of north indian politics at the time and some british scheming, so the two nation had its genesis from that context.

....in any case.....the main point i was making was in post #13 - that just because you are a muslim does not preclude you from having an ancient history, so i am defending the right for pakistani people to learn and understand the ancient history of their people and land, if there are mistakes made in the past with regards to this view then that is not to say they are cannot be rectified.

actually, my main opposition does not come from the religious right in pakistan but funnily enough from those leaning towards the religious right in INDIA.

I find change in you attitude from your first post to now. You started rambling about proto hindu caveman and then started acknowledging our common scientific heritage. I said common because we Indians believe most Pakistani are of Indian stock.... got separated in 1947 wrongly or rightly I don't know.

Being a Indian or Pakistani muslim does not preclude you from your ancient roots. We Indians always take pride in our ancient past whether it from muslim invaders or native indians. You guys can own it ... it belongs to yours too. Our ancient history goes back 10,000 years and beyond and it is a common history of our subcontinent.

Even if they did, nothing much would change.

Pakistan is not about geography but about the idea of TNT.

It could have been located in any part of pre Partition India which happened to have Muslim majority.

No i just cleared air ... Ignorant Pakistani think Indian science is Invented in Harappan "Khandars"

well most of Hindus who can claim whatever Hindu heritage in Pakistan were Migrated to India After 1947 .

Thanks @ghaja for such a nice thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
there are many on here who say many stupid things, i guess the mods probably dont exert too much quality control hence their numbers increase.

it's not about Forum , your country Is Islamic , Heritage that we are talking Is "Kuffur" . Hindus are Denied basic human rights in Pakistani Constitution .

there are many on here who say many stupid things, i guess the mods probably dont exert too much quality control hence their numbers increase.

Why you blame Indians, do you Pakistanis even know the name of 1-2 famous personalities from Pre-Islamic era from the territory that consititute Pakistan today.

Pingala

Aryabhata

Varāhamihira

Bhaskara I

Brahmagupta

Mahavira

Bhaskara II

Acharya Hemachandra

Mahendra Sūri

Madhava of Sangamagrama

Parameshvara

Nilakantha Somayaji

You should have made a poll. Furthermore you could have given information about these great mathemeticians rather than just giving their names. I am afraid I have heard of none.

@Srinavas are you taught about these mathemeticians at school in India?

I find change in you attitude from your first post to now. You started rambling about proto hindu caveman and then started acknowledging our common scientific heritage. I said common because we Indians believe most Pakistani are of Indian stock.... got separated in 1947 wrongly or rightly I don't know.

Being a Indian or Pakistani muslim does not preclude you from your ancient roots. We Indians always take pride in our ancient past whether it from muslim invaders or native indians. You guys can own it ... it belongs to yours too. Our ancient history goes back 10,000 years and beyond and it is a common history of our subcontinent.

A great deal of our history is shared history. The problem appears when people try to paint it with religious colours.

Thanks @ghaja for such a nice thread.
Thanks
Anyway if you or someone else is interested in the history of ancient and medieval Indian mathematicians
then you should read the book "Mathematical Achievements of Pre-modern Indian Mathematicians"
which was written by T.K Puttaswamy. The book mentions all the great Indian mathematicians of ancient
India like Aryabhata and Brahmagupta of north India and Madhava and Mahavira of south India.

Last edited by a moderator:

:tup:

We can see a change here, at least in a very small section of the Pakistani people.

I hope it increases and people are able to separate their history from the current religion.

Sorry but its easier for me to reply to each point in a long post this way.

1. that is why i said i dont believe in the two nation theory 100%, because it assumes that muslims and hindu cannot co-exist, too negative a footing

but also maybe the times called for that thinking back then. the argument made by jinnah for two nations was petty compelling at the time, it no doubt it resonated with enough people (including influential british strategists).

in that sense pakistan felt very valid and real.....but one thing for sure was that pakistan did not have the independence to make its lofty visions come true, hence over time you have had a cacophony of interests asserting their own narrative (saudi wahabi's, feudals, americans...) thus undermining and eventually subverting the will of the people!

2. look at iran, it both has claims over its pre and post islamic history, no major problem.

the major failure pakistani's need to correct is the negligence/suppression of their ancient history, this is a challenge for sure but using iran as a kind of example its clearly not impossible!

3. the contradictions in the narrative are a mistake to me it seems, it leads to a reductionist historical view, which is never healthy.

i dont think such a change would totally undermine the creation of pakistan, just that it would require people to update their historcal views to be inclusive of a broader historical view......some indians may naturally regard this as weakness but i dont interpret having a pre islamic history as necessarily weak, its just that we are now in an era where it makes less sense to suppress the past.

dude, i was saying the exact opposite to what you think, that its funny to think of me as arab (hence why i said it was nonsense), maybe i didnt come across clearly, but i can assure you i have never claimed to be arab, lol.:)

I welcome your thoughts and views mate :cheers:

Sane voice related to Indian History is very rare in this forum :cheers:

You should have made a poll. Furthermore you could have given information about these great mathemeticians rather than just giving their names. I am afraid I have heard of none.

A great deal of our history is shared history. The problem appears when people try to paint it with religious colours.

Mate we Study about Aryabhatta and some others :cheers:

But not in detail mate , The syllabus needs to be in detail when it comes to teaching about great personalities in Sub continent history :cheers:

i was only poking fun at some remarks i had heard in earlier discussions :)

i think on the question of history it makes more sense to say that it is mostly shared, because i cannot see how you can impose the modern nation state onto thousand year old history.

none of Greatest Indian Mathematician born in Pakistan area of today .

Brahmagupta ---- Rajasthan

Aryabhata --- Bengal (most probable)

Bhaskara II --- Maharashtra

Pingala has the origin in Afganistan Pakistan area I think he is related to a Sanskrit poet Panini.

They are well-known among Indians. In the case of poll Aryabhatta will definately lead, he is the most famous Indian mathematician. Even even proved by his mathematical calculations that earth revolves round the sun when Greeks believed opposite of that.

India's first satellite was named after Aryabhatta.Other were named on Bhaskara.
Aryabhata (satellite) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Bhaskara (satellite) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Leelavati" was a famous book written by Bhaskara-2 which contains collection of mathematical problems to help his daughted Leelavati learn mathematics.

Nothing surprising if Pakistanis don't know about them since you people aren't given any information about your pre-Islamic era.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom