What's new

Who was the greatest mathematician of ancient and medieval India

firstly i am arab, lol...i am not sure if i should continue to reply to this nonsense.

Actually, this "nonsense" as you put it, is the basis of two nation theory, on which Pakistan of today was created.

What you are implying is that Pakistan of today is a nonsense country i.e a country that makes no sense so as to why it was created.

If you claim your past heritage, you waive your right to have separate country.This is the "Identity crisis" of Pakistan which many people have written about.

Its upto you and people of Pakistan to decide where you want to go.
So far you have stuck with "we are arabs" theory.

dude, i was saying the exact opposite to what you think, that its funny to think of me as arab (hence why i said it was nonsense), maybe i didnt come across clearly, but i can assure you i have never claimed to be arab, lol.:)

Ohh my bad. I personally think these mathematicians belong to Pakistanis (Punjabis, Sindhis, Kahmiris, Mohajirs) just as much as they belong to any other Indian.

But some nutters in Pakistan have led people to believe that there was jahalat before Islam came. Some of the Indian heroes who hailed from present day Pakistan are forgotten in Pakistan. When they belong to Pakistanis more than Indians. It's ironical see kids growing up on the banks of Indus river thinking they're Arabs/Turks.

Nice to see some rational thinking.

Varahamihira (505–587) produced the Pancha Siddhanta (The Five Astronomical Canons). He made important contributions to trigonometry, including sine and cosine tables to 4 decimal places of accuracy and the following formulas relating sine and cosine functions:

Shridhara (c. 870–930), who lived in Bengal, wrote the books titled Nav Shatika, Tri Shatika and Pati Ganita. He gave:
A good rule for finding the volume of a sphere.
The formula for solving quadratic equations.

The Pati Ganita is a work on arithmetic and mensuration. It deals with various operations, including:
Elementary operations
Extracting square and cube roots.
Fractions.
Eight rules given for operations involving zero.
Methods of summation of different arithmetic and geometric series, which were to become standard references in later works.

Manjula

Aryabhata's differential equations were elaborated in the 10th century by Manjula (also Munjala), who realised that the expression[72]
could be approximately expressed as
He understood the concept of differentiation after solving the differential equation that resulted from substituting this expression into Aryabhata's differential equation.

Aryabhata II

Aryabhata II (c. 920–1000) wrote a commentary on Shridhara, and an astronomical treatise Maha-Siddhanta. The Maha-Siddhanta has 18 chapters, and discusses:
Numerical mathematics (Ank Ganit).
Algebra.
Solutions of indeterminate equations (kuttaka).

Bhaskara II

Bhāskara II (1114–1185) was a mathematician-astronomer who wrote a number of important treatises, namely the Siddhanta Shiromani, Lilavati, Bijaganita, Gola Addhaya, Griha Ganitam and Karan Kautoohal. A number of his contributions were later transmitted to the Middle East and Europe. His contributions include:

Arithmetic:
Interest computation
Arithmetical and geometrical progressions
Plane geometry
Solid geometry
The shadow of the gnomon
Solutions of combinations
Gave a proof for division by zero being infinity.

Algebra:
The recognition of a positive number having two square roots.
Surds.
Operations with products of several unknowns.
The solutions of:
Quadratic equations.
Cubic equations.
Quartic equations.
Equations with more than one unknown.
Quadratic equations with more than one unknown.
The general form of Pell's equation using the chakravala method.
The general indeterminate quadratic equation using the chakravala method.
Indeterminate cubic equations.
Indeterminate quartic equations.
Indeterminate higher-order polynomial equations.

Geometry:
Gave a proof of the Pythagorean theorem.

Calculus:
Conceived of differential calculus.
Discovered the derivative.
Discovered the differential coefficient.
Developed differentiation.
Stated Rolle's theorem, a special case of the mean value theorem (one of the most important theorems of calculus and analysis).
Derived the differential of the sine function.
Computed π, correct to five decimal places.
Calculated the length of the Earth's revolution around the Sun to 9 decimal places.

Trigonometry:
Developments of spherical trigonometry
The trigonometric formulas:

Ohh my bad. I personally think these mathematicians belong to Pakistanis (Punjabis, Sindhis, Kahmiris, Mohajirs) just as much as they belong to any other Indian.

But some nutters in Pakistan have led people to believe that there was jahalat before Islam came. Some of the Indian heroes who hailed from present day Pakistan are forgotten in Pakistan. When they belong to Pakistanis more than Indians. It's ironical see kids frowing up on the banks of Indus river thinking they're Arabs/Turks.

Nice to see some rational thinking.

because if they come to know that their forefathers were Hindus, evil Hindu concept will be hard for there kids to digest.

because if they come to know that their forefathers were Hindus, evil Hindu concept will be hard for there kids to digest.

none of Greatest Indian Mathematician born in Pakistan area of today .

Brahmagupta ---- Rajasthan

Aryabhata --- Bengal (most probable)

Bhaskara II --- Maharashtra

modern day boundaries came later, so whether or not these men happen to be on which side of modern day boundary is irrelevant.

Even if they did, nothing much would change.

Pakistan is not about geography but about the idea of TNT.

It could have been located in any part of pre Partition India which happened to have Muslim majority.

Actually, this "nonsense" as you put it, is the basis of two nation theory, on which Pakistan of today was created.

What you are implying is that Pakistan of today is a nonsense country i.e a country that makes no sense so as to why it was created.

If you claim your past heritage, you waive your right to have separate country.This is the "Identity crisis" of Pakistan which many people have written about.

Its upto you and people of Pakistan to decide where you want to go.
So far you have stuck with "we are arabs" theory.

the nonsense part is to assert that "we are arabs".

being "arab" is not the basis of two nation theory, its religion, so it is indeed nonsense to connect the two.

i do concede that there are plenty of bombastic types who peddle this sort of line, but usually they do not know enough about much else other than a reductionist version of history they have been taught, but again just because they say it does not make it true.

how do you claim something that already belongs to you sir?

the history of the land and people belongs to the people of pakistan already, the problem is that policy decisions have been made to disregard it, but this is not the sort of thing that you can pass around ownership of, so its a bit absurd to say you waive ownership of a nation by "claiming history", because it already is what it is!

remember the concept of a nation state is very new, we are trying to superimpose a modern conception onto ancient history, and guess what, it doesnt always fit so neatly!!

no country can be nonsense as long as it has people who have hopes and aspirations for a better future!

I would also include great Indian mathematicians like

Hemachandra: Gujarat

Madhava: Kerala

Mahavira: Karnataka

Sridhara: Bengal

why, not to me.....everyone was something else before they were what they are now.....the arabs, the persians, the europeans etc.....

who doesnt know that islam came at a certain period, therefore before that period people were somethingelse....

What has this got to do with defence ??

why, not to me.....everyone was something else before they were what they are now.....the arabs, the persians, the europeans etc.....

who doesnt know that islam came at a certain period, therefore before that period people were somethingelse....

I am sure you are old enough in this forum to know that there are many delusional Pakistanis who boast about " 1000 year Islamic rule over India and atrocities they committed " with out realising that most probably their own forefathers were the first victims.

the nonsense part is to assert that "we are arabs".

being "arab" is not the basis of two nation theory, its religion, so it is indeed nonsense to connect the two.

Ok basis of two nation theory is religion, for you.

Then how come there are Hindus and Muslims living together in India, US and even in Pakistan ?

And don't you think its nonreligious and even downright "evil" to divide and prosecute people on basis of religion.

Two nation theory based on religion cuts even less mustard than one based on ethnicity.

i do concede that there are plenty of bombastic types who peddle this sort of line, but usually they do not know enough about much else other than a reductionist version of history they have been taught, but again just because they say it does not make it true.

how do you claim something that already belongs to you sir?

the history of the land and people belongs to the people of pakistan already, the problem is that policy decisions have been made to disregard it, but this is not the sort of thing that you can pass around ownership of, so its a bit absurd to say you waive ownership of a nation by "claiming history", because it already is what it is!

Its not about you claiming your own heritage, nobody can take peoples heritage away from them, Pakistan itself choose to waive/ignore it in '47.

To claim it now would mean you need to admit two nation theory was wrong.And to admit it was wrong means to take away legitimacy of modern state of Pakistan.

This is the quandary of modern educated Pakistanis face today.Your masses still want to believe they are Arabs.

Just like a single secular Pakistani does not make Pakistan a secular country.

No, history is never what
remember the concept of a nation state is very new, we are trying to superimpose a modern conception onto ancient history, and guess what, it doesnt always fit so neatly!!

That is exactly my point.How can there be contradictions in your narrative ?

no country can be nonsense as long as it has people who have hopes and aspirations for a better future!

Thats just empty rhetoric without any point.Save it for your domestic audience.It has no place in a debate.

Sorry but its easier for me to reply to each point in a long post this way.

I am sure you are old enough in this forum to know that there are many delusional Pakistanis who boast about " 1000 year Islamic rule over India and atrocities they committed " with out realising that most probably their own forefathers were the first victims.

there are many on here who say many stupid things, i guess the mods probably dont exert too much quality control hence their numbers increase.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom