What's new

Which industries to target for export?

Agriculture needs to be the backbone of our short term development.

Pakistan needs to spend a crazy amount of money on R&D including GMO and get on the agriculture revolution.
Agriculture can fetch double amount in exports within just one year, provided the govt is serious about this ---- Right now, it doesn't look good.
Gas, electricity, fertilizer prices increased. Soon we will hear increase in price of seeds, pesticides.

All accurate but 'Who' will bell the cat!!

Some realities.

The exports by Vietnam and Taiwan are a result of FDI. These countries do not have a home grown base of technical and scientific know-how that translates into exports. Yes, academically Taiwan is very good, but their excellence in semi-conductors is because of American investment.

When a country makes FDI in another country, it is not doling out charity. It looks to reap manyfold benefits. Thus, both Vietnam and Taiwan are dependent on foreign arms and protection for their very existence. They do not have much stature in the world.

Then there is India. Yes, there is a lot of FDI, but what India has been exporting since the 80s is human capital. India's human capital doesn't try to bite the head if its parent country like Hussain Haqqani. Secondly, this human capital has mingled so well with Western populations that today there are blonde haired, blue eyed people with an Indian Hindu background. Here in Australia so many people have actually visited India. I know an Aussie who is married to an Indian. I know another blonde Aussie guy whose family is Indian. Combine this with Veganism/Vegetarianism, Ghandism etc and they have projected themselves as this peace loving people with deep cultural roots. To the extent that people generally overlook there disgusting behavior. A female German friend of mine once told me conspiratorially, with voice merely a whisper, "You know, I have been to India. They are very unhygenic people. You are from Pakistan right? I think you are very clean and hygenic." With such deep inroads into minds all over the world, they have opened doorways to trade and are supplying quality products. I, being a Pakistani, buy India Gate rice. I have seen Pakistani rice sold in a major chain and tried it - the quality is nothing compared to India Gate. And then there is the outsourcing by Tata, Wipro etc.

We need to establish our credibility as an educated people who produce quality products. We have good values like mannerisms and decency. An educated Pakistani person stands apart from a similarly educated Indian person. We need to establish this at the national level. And that means instilling intellectual ability, education, and a drive for quality in our people.

I agree with Imran Khan's recent steps of opening up the Governor house. We need to move forward from colonialism. Millions of Pakistanis are still caught in a mindset of intellectual inferiority. This goes all the way to the top. Consider this: we needed China to come in and start CPEC. For 70 years nobody has had a vision. When Punjab wants to become educated, they bring in foreign NGOs. We can't even educate our children ourselves.

If we are going to outsource education, planning and economy, then here is what's going to happen: people will make us mental slaves. We won't be able to benefit from the Reqo Diq wealth that is ours. We need a foreign country to come in and exploit it. We need foreign companies to come in and mine the oil for us. We need the Chinese to teach us modern farming techniques. Seriously, where does this end? Will we need someone to come and breed our women for us as well?

Food for thought.

@Oscar @Bilal Khan (Quwa) @Bilal Khan 777 @Knuckles @GriffinsRule @messiach

Agriculture can fetch double amount in exports within just one year, provided the govt is serious about this ---- Right now, it doesn't look good.
Gas, electricity, fertilizer prices increased. Soon we will hear increase in price of seeds, pesticides.

I don't think that's true.
For a true revolution we need to re-organize our agricultural industry from the ground.
We need to take away land from the feudal lords and peasants and give them to agricultural scientists/Companies/Universities. who can then implement best practices and do R&D for the best way to grow crops and live stock.

This will take the land away from the least educated and give it to the most educated.

I don't think that's true.
For a true revolution we need to re-organize our agricultural industry from the ground.
We need to take away land from the feudal lords and peasants and give them to agricultural scientists/Companies/Universities. who can then implement best practices and do R&D for the best way to grow crops and live stock.

This will take the land away from the least educated and give it to the most educated.

It will free up a lot of labour too for more productive work as well.

1-Your Businessman is happy by doubling its investments from the god forsaken Properties, unless Govt don't ban land investment speculative business no chance they are investing in any risky venture
2-Your banking and financial sector don't support startups and young entrepreneurs at all because of Fraudulent intent of most of Finance seekers and Corruption in Bank Staff.
3-Your public always keep its distance from Financial institutions keeping its savings in cash and properties instead of Banks hence most of national capital remains divided into small unproductive portions
4-Your government is a lackey of China for its dependence on china for Defense against India so much that they don't safeguard your industry against Chinese Industry

SO

Unless people don't deposit their capital into banks, bonds, mutual funds etc their will be no other source for investment except if State bank issues more currency which we cannot afford because of already so much high inflation. And hence just keep dreaming that high tech industries will come from thin air.

Lets take a look at Vietnam.

Vietnam shipped US$246.9 billion worth of goods around the globe in 2017.

1. Electrical machinery, equipment: US$94 billion (38.1% of total exports)
  2. Footwear: $19.9 billion (8%)
  3. Machinery including computers: $14.6 billion (5.9%)
  4. Clothing, accessories (not knit or crochet): $13.8 billion (5.6%)
  5. Knit or crochet clothing, accessories: $13 billion (5.3%)
  6. Furniture, bedding, lighting, signs, prefab buildings: $8.9 billion (3.6%)
  7. Optical, technical, medical apparatus: $5.6 billion (2.3%)
  8. Fish: $5 billion (2%)
  9. Coffee, tea, spices: $4.6 billion (1.9%)
  10. Leather/animal gut articles: $4 billion (1.6%)

Any export on Coffee and Tea plantation in Pakistan?

Back
Top Bottom