What's new

Which Indian King/Historical event is most under appreciated in Indian History?

It honors rising sun. Only marand temple honors/use to honour setting sun.
I missed the word dusk in your previous post. :)
But thanks for the info, till now I thought both the temples had the same significance.

I would like to name Harshvardhana.....
Harsha was greatest emperor of Central India and consolidated much of central India after the fall of Gupta empire. He blocked the advances of Southern emperors such as Pulikesin into North India. A fair ruler who was greatly respected across India and still remembered.

View attachment 138373

I think if Pulikesin or Pulakesi and Harshvardhana were born in 2 differen eras then they both would have been able to achieve far more than they could. Though Pulakesi was very brutal and power hungry king.He was one of the most feared kings of Southern India and was known for fierce methods.
We havent learnt much about both these kings...nothing that I can remember of.

Dont we also have sun temple in konark.So sun temple in kashmir should not be the only one.

Both had sad endings.Harsha was assasinated in old age.
Pulakeshin died defending his capital which fell to a resurgent pallava dynasty.

agreed. . however am not counting size of kingdom... but the King ... During his time diamonds sold like peanuts. ... btw.. i like the battle between Porus vs Alex...
the Chola's were probably one the richest empires in the world @ that time, there is no two ways about it, I mean ,these guys used to be an important trading partner of the Roman Empire !

the Chola's were probably one the richest empires in the world @ that time, there is no two ways about it, I mean ,these guys used to be an important trading partner of the Roman Empire !

A fact.

They fielded largest Elephant cavalry in the world, anywhere,ever.

They had 20,000 War Elephants in their Army, and this has been confirmed by royal documents ( which consisted of documents about moving X no of elephants from A to B), not account of some poet.

+ Kushans also had very good trade relations with Romans.

Both had sad endings.Harsha was assasinated in old age.
Pulakeshin died defending his capital which fell to a resurgent pallava dynasty.

Both these men had interesting titles too.
Harsha was called - Uttarapatheshvara (lord f North) and after defeating Harshvardhana Pulakesi was called Parameswara (Paramount Overlord).

Btw did you miss that I made a thread out of your post on China?? :P

Raja raja Chola I believe is the most underrated and Jalaluddin Akbar is the most overrated .

I would like to name Harshvardhana.....
Harsha was greatest emperor of Central India and consolidated much of central India after the fall of Gupta empire. He blocked the advances of Southern emperors such as Pulikesin into North India. A fair ruler who was greatly respected across India and still remembered.

View attachment 138373

I think if Pulikesin or Pulakesi and Harshvardhana were born in 2 differen eras then they both would have been able to achieve far more than they could. Though Pulakesi was very brutal and power hungry king.He was one of the most feared kings of Southern India and was known for fierce methods.
We havent learnt much about both these kings...nothing that I can remember of.

Dont we also have sun temple in konark.So sun temple in kashmir should not be the only one.
Other than Pulkesin, Harsha had another nemesis, a Bengali king by the name of "Shashank". The latter not only defeated Harsha's expeditions but also ended up capturing Kannauj (Harsha's capital), however could'nt hold it for long. They basically fought each other to stalemate. It was only after Shashank died (he was very very old) could Harsha expand into Bengal.

@Anonymous
This is a little off topic....
Somehow in our history books we were never taught how these men carried out their military operations,like the one carried out by Shivaji maharaj and Tanaji Malusare ,that would be one of the bravest attempt in Indian history to capture a fort (fort of singhad)
or is this thread just about the kings? :)

@Anonymous
Somehow in our history books we were never taught how these men carried out their military operations,like the one carried out by Shivaji maharaj and Tanaji Malusare ,that would be one of the bravest attempt in Indian history to capture a fort (fort of singhad)
Hey was it the one in which they scaled a fort located on a hill, with grappling hooks and all. Shivaji's closest friend died in that battle. I had a play on this incident in my hindi prose book when I was in class 8th or something.

@Anonymous

Nah,

General history focused more on those part which a government does not bother to teach/teach propaganda .

I have read account of Shivaji's capturing a fort by tying rope around a Gecko in my Hindi book.

Military accounts from ancient India are extremely rare, even Arthashastra, which is a non religious book, does not state battle in detail, even though it describes warfare in total, how it should be fought to position of King in formation.

Hey was it the one in which they scaled a fort located on a hill, with grappling hooks and all. Shivaji's closest friend died in that battle. I had a play on this incident in my hindi prose book when I was in class 8th or something.
oh you did?
Tanaji was Shivaji's best friend.
And I found it very interesting how these men used monitor lizards to climb the steep cliffs. I mean who would 've dared and thought of such master stroke?

Nah,

General history focused more on those part which a government does not bother to teach/teach propaganda .

I have read account of Shivaji's capturing a fort by tying rope around a Gecko in my Hindi book.

Military accounts from ancient India are extremely rare, even Arthashastra, which is a non religious book, does not state battle in detail, even though it describes warfare in total, how it should be fought to position of King in formation.
Baji Rao for that matter was brilliant too...these marathas had superb techniques.
He was the known for his tactics specially cutting down enemies supply lines by encircling ,attacking from an unexpected direction and distracting the enemies. Marathas were too good!

oh you did?
Tanaji was Shivaji's best friend.
And I found it very interesting how these men used monitor lizards to climb the steep cliffs. I mean who would 've dared and thought of such master stroke?
How can a monitor lizard support weight of a human, I find it hard to believe. Most probably they used grappling hooks, caught the mughals by surprise. Another interesting fact, when Tanaji was slain, the morale of Maratha soldiers was broken and they tried to flee. But Tanaji's brother cut the rope, so they had 2 choices, fight or fling yourself down the hill.

Baji Rao for that matter was brilliant too...these marathas had superb techniques.
He was the known for his tactics specially cutting down enemies supply lines by encircling ,attacking from an unexpected direction and distracting the enemies. Marathas were too good!
The terrain of that region is perfect for guerrilla warfare. A huge lumbering army is an easy target for lightly armored and agile enemy. They would have lost had they taken the Mughals head on

vijayanagara was a small kingdom similar to the size of Nizam of Hyderabad or Ranjeet singh , however "the Chola Dynasty" was another Beast altogether , & it was one Kick A$$ Power House encompassing south India , parts of indo-china & Indonesia the empire stretched more then 6000 km with a huge area size of 1.3 million sq mi or 3.6 million sq km ! , it was bigger then present day India , UK , & Switzerland combined ! , however, it was more of a south east Asian power, rather then a south Asian one , there for, it is not mentioned much especially in the context of other kingdoms or empires like the Mughals or Maurya's , which were more of a south Asian powerhouse (India-Pakistan -BD & parts of Afghanistan) secondly when it came to the Chola dynasty, the language & culture were also quite different, as it was not an Indo-Iranian one like Sanskrit or Persian which dominated both kingdoms like Maura or Mughals etc & with which both formed a very strong rooted cultural identity, that we see in present day India-Pakistan , as for Ahom again it was too small so as to have the type of historical impact that is needed to, The Chola Empire did it however they did it, in the wrong side of the bay of Bengal ! the realms of power & dominance in south Asia lies in India/Pakistan & Afghanistan, it has always been like that , from the Buddhist periods,
to the Hindu kingdoms to the Muslim ones , heck even Mahabharat needed to be there :lol:

The Chola Empire

Sure Vijayanagara was smaller, but in terms of sheer grandeur it was right up there.

How can a monitor lizard support weight of a human, I find it hard to believe. Most probably they used grappling hooks, caught the mughals by surprise. Another interesting fact, when Tanaji was slain, the morale of Maratha soldiers was broken and they tried to flee. But Tanaji's brother cut the rope, so they had 2 choices, fight or fling yourself down the hill.
I hope you know these monitors have superb grips on the vertical walls. And the monitor lizard used was Tanaji's pet.I'm sure they had calculated the risks.
But its sad that in this attempt 2 great warriors lost their lives, Udai Bhan and Tanaji himself.
And do you that the NDA cadets take their hike from Khadakavalsa to Sinhagad fort?
Every cadet who passes out from the NDA would tell you about their climb to Sinhagad. It is fitting that the spirit of a man who carried out one of the most brilliant and daring military operation should inspire our brave army men.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom