What's new

Which Book are you reading

BK all the way

They know how to make a pretty tasty burger (for a fast food place anyway) for sure. I like McD's fries and coffee better.....but thats about it....the main thing, BK does lot better.

Don't let the ketchup stain the pages of your books :lol:

One of my teachers in middle school (American guy, this was in an international school in Singapore), 8th grade humanities, left a coffee cup stain on a book I lent him about the German Army (under the Wehrmacht times)....because we got into a long winded conversation about WW2 stuff the one time...and he wanted to know where I got some of my info from. Never forgave him for that heh.

But he was quite the eccentric teacher I learned much from (he lived on a houseboat in Europe on the Danube for a decade or so, lived in Turkey too...and retired over there I believe). He was the guy that I first came across that told me about the three way haterade between Arabs, Turks and Persians heh (i.e to never lump em together and think they all the same middle easterner etc).

Real life knowledge and sharing books, I wonder if they even do that these days in schools anymore....its not very "politically correct" stuff anymore what we talked about a lot. Heck the year before for humanities (7th grade)...I had an oddball Vietnam war veteran as teacher....we enjoyed goading him into sharing stuff he had seen (when the curriculum stuff was getting dull)...and he would oblige almost always, those stories still stick with me (well past what we were supposed to learn)....stuff they would fire a teacher for and brain-bleach the students after that these days I suspect.

@padamchen @Joe Shearer @jbgt90 @VCheng @Metanoia @OsmanAli98 @The Sandman @Hell hound @Signalian

One of my teachers in middle school (American guy, this was in an international school in Singapore), 8th grade humanities, left a coffee cup stain on a book I lent him about the German Army (under the Wehrmacht times)....because we got into a long winded conversation about WW2 stuff the one time...and he wanted to know where I got some of my info from. Never forgave him for that heh.

But he was quite the eccentric teacher I learned much from (he lived on a houseboat in Europe on the Danube for a decade or so, lived in Turkey too...and retired over there I believe). He was the guy that I first came across that told me about the three way haterade between Arabs, Turks and Persians heh (i.e to never lump em together and think they all the same middle easterner etc).

Real life knowledge and sharing books, I wonder if they even do that these days in schools anymore....its not very "politically correct" stuff anymore what we talked about a lot. Heck the year before for humanities (7th grade)...I had an oddball Vietnam war veteran as teacher....we enjoyed goading him into sharing stuff he had seen (when the curriculum stuff was getting dull)...and he would oblige almost always, those stories still stick with me (well past what we were supposed to learn)....stuff they would fire a teacher for and brain-bleach the students after that these days I suspect.

@padamchen @Joe Shearer @jbgt90 @VCheng @Metanoia @OsmanAli98 @The Sandman @Hell hound @Signalian
Lol so true bro. I had a similar teacher in high school, a veteran of Iraq war I. He would joke about how women should be used as substitutes for animals in plowing the fields for farming, much like they were in medieval Europe (which was the subject our global history class). Even the girls laughed at his jokes.

He was a very tough guy though. He would always pick on the boys with unkempt hair in our class, and despite his "misogynistic" jokes he was cool with the girls. He had alot of interesting stories to share about his experience in the first gulf war.

No way he would get away with saying those things today. I wonder what he thinks about the politically correct, if he's still employed as a teacher.

Remember doing it to some very few Sainik School staff (not the civilian regular teachers, the staff attached to the school from green beret units -that's not the American green beret - for a period of a year or two). What came out prominently was that to them, the soldier on the other side was a soldier, nothing more, nothing less (all this was a LONG time ago), but to the cavalry, the infantry and the gunners were not really Army. They didn't even know how to dress.

56471359-2ABD-400C-8432-8F89E01F4EFD.jpeg

What a coincident.....just about today, I was thinking to create a thread on same topic. Glad to see, we already have one.

We got our sex education from our English teacher in saudia (sex education and saudia in same sentence ) guy risked his job for us and not just only that he was the one who taught us to question everything .he told us about the ground realities of 1971 ,the cover ups in our Pakistan studies books ,Arabs hidden relationship with israeI etc etc.that was when we were in 7th grade.guy was never afraid to tell the truth (or use the f word either) he hated lies,once kicked a kid in butt yelling don't tell your father how to **** ( you can call it more of a nudge) because instead of getting it signed by his parents kid had signed the failed test himself.

You like to read too? i come across so few of guys like you.
@Joe Shearer

You like to read too? i come across so few of guys like you.
@Joe Shearer

For a while as a kid I had a healthy avoidance of books without enough pictures in them (I am pretty visually/spacially oriented person)...so most of what I bothered to read were non-fiction mostly...especially Space/Earth/Wildlife etc.

It was only later (I think around 10 years old and later) I forced myself to read longer "writing only" kinda books...and I learned to appreciate them too. I think the Hobbit and Lord of the rings were my first long binge reads....and then I found Tolstoy, Twain, Dickens and all the rest....I didn't have to see a snippet of something they wrote laundered through someone else's interpretation as something on TV/stage etc like I sort of relied on till then....rather I could just read it for myself..right at the source. It was quite liberating haha....and I have never stopped....only discovered new worlds like long rich history books etc (that I would never ever have thought of reading back in the day when I was hooked on pictures).

Then there are such things like Hamlet by the "Titan of english"-speare himself which I find something new in each time I read it (esp as my own perspectives on life change with time)...and probably always be the case....as I stare into my psyche like Hamlet stared into Yorick's skull.

iScam/fakebook/twitterati/insta-derp kids these days just don't know what they are missing out on!

@Zibago @Pakhtoon yum @Vergennes

For a while as a kid I had a healthy avoidance of books without enough pictures in them (I am pretty visually/spacially oriented person)...so most of what I bothered to read were non-fiction mostly...especially Space/Earth/Wildlife etc.

It was only later (I think around 10 years old and later) I forced myself to read longer "writing only" kinda books...and I learned to appreciate them too. I think the Hobbit and Lord of the rings were my first long binge reads....and then I found Tolstoy, Twain, Dickens and all the rest....I didn't have to see a snippet of something they wrote laundered through someone else's interpretation as something on TV/stage etc like I sort of relied on till then....rather I could just read it for myself..right at the source. It was quite liberating haha....and I have never stopped....only discovered new worlds like long rich history books etc (that I would never ever have thought of reading back in the day when I was hooked on pictures).

Then there are such things like Hamlet by the "Titan of english"-speare himself which I find something new in each time I read it (esp as my own perspectives on life change with time)...and probably always be the case....as I stare into my psyche like Hamlet stared into Yorick's skull.

iScam/fakebook/twitterati/insta-derp kids these days just don't know what they are missing out on!

Like you i used to avoid books too, especially bigger ones. I mean why read more after studying school. but then my cousin did make me read and it became a habit which started with Chetan bhagat and today I am reading tolstoy, dostoyevsky, dumas, dickens, shakespeare and likes.
There is something about these classics that keep you hooked. A gripping story, so much detail of scene is there alongwith the thinking of characters which is just absent in most books that come out these days. It makes reading them a delight.
Also i dont generally pick up books that dont have atleast 500 pages. but occasionally you have to after 2-3 classics as all the life lessons do make for a difficult and you need something light.

I didn't have to see a snippet of something they wrote laundered through someone else's interpretation as something on TV/stage etc like I sort of relied on till then....rather I could just read it for myself..right at the source.
True. I have read war and peace and was watching BBC's newer adaptation of it and just couldnt connect with most characters and also its so rushed. And dont even get me started on the movie on The count of monte cristo, such a great book and yet a worthless movie.

And dont even get me started on the movie on The count of monte cristo, such a great book and yet a worthless movie.

Which movie? There are two (main ones I know)...and is often much a source of consternation about which one is better :P...mostly among ppl who have not read the book.

Dumas is a legend...as is Hugo as is Verne. I am lucky enough to read their best stuff both in English and in the original French too :P @Vergennes

True. I have read war and peace and was watching BBC's newer adaptation of it and just couldnt connect with most characters and also its so rushed.

There is really no point to any visual production of War and Peace in first place. Too much of the subtlety which is given by the writings long (somewhat arduous yet detailed) length and breadth (which is in itself a hidden esoteric statement on what Russia is in my opinion).... is simply not possible.

Which movie?
Directed by Kevin Reynolds, came out in 2002.

There are two (main ones I know)...and is often much a source of consternation about which one is better :P...
Haven't seen the other. But the one i have isnt good at all when compared with the book.

mostly among ppl who have not read the book.
Probably. My friends love Harry Potter deathly part 2 movie and i hate it just because i have read the book. So entirely possible.

Dumas is a legend...as is Hugo as is Verne. I am lucky enough to read their best stuff both in English and in the original French too :P
True. But of Hugo's, i have read only Hunchback of Notre Dame and les miserables is on my reading list. I must say Notre Dame did get tedious at times when he was giving a bird's eye view of Paris. Haven't read Verne. I dont know french, only translated english. Lucky you, got the original version. :D

Uhh, pardon you. I've read hamlet, romeo and juliet, midsummer nights dream, Macbeth, hunger games, the handmaid's tale, the hobbit etc. Mostly cause I was forced to read em.

Btw what's iScam? Was it something 30 years ago? :partay:

Back
Top Bottom