What's new

Which are dominant caste of India ?

The concept of dominant caste has been used for the first item in sociological literature by an eminent Indian Sociologist M.N. Srinivas in his essay social system of a Mysore Village, which was written after his study of village Rampur. The concept occupies a key position in the process of ‘Sanskritisation’ as propounded by the same sociologists in his book, Religion and society among the Coorgs at south India.

The term dominant caste is used to refer to a caste which “wields economic or political power and occupies a fairly high position in the hierarchy.” These castes are accorded high status and position in all the fields of social life. The people of other lower castes look at them as their ‘reference group’ and try to imitate their behavior, ritual pattern, custom and ideology.

Factors contributing towards dominance:

i) Land Ownership:
ii) Numerical Strength:
iii) High place in local hierarchy:

All the factors described above contributed towards the dominance of a caste in traditional society. With the onset of modernisation and change in the attitude and belief of people the new factors have come up overshadowing the old ones, they are:

iv) Education:
v) Job in administration and urban sources of income:
vi) Political involvement
Sonia,jayalalita,mamata did,maya behan weilds power in their respective states and they made higher caste men do sajda at their doorsteps all the time.

Infact maya behan made high caste DSP to wipe ger shoes.....:P

DSP bends to wipe Mayawati`s shoes

I think caste is important when one is getting married..there are some castes we cant even think of getting mixed with...no matter how liberal and educated they get..par zaat nahi badalti :P

Before calling thread stupid ... Check your signature !

You are crying like baby that you are a sikh (Why ?)
and yet calling this thread stupid !

That was a respect given by other countries to my country men, so i feel proud that's why..

Battle of sargarhi was announced by one of the greatest battle by unesco and the second one was told by the parliment of united kingdom, that's why i kept them as signature not because of caste.

And for your information i am south indian(Tamil), know that..

If you know it already ..why don't you keep your mouth shut and let discussion move ahead !

Actually it`s my fingers not mouth who are typing ...

& let me know you one DOMINANT cast in Rajasthan, it`s "Meena", go wherever in higher posts ie.-IAS, IPS, RAS, Police ,Railay etc etc. you`ll find 3 out of 5 Meena there..

Now If any body mess with them in Illusion of martial ism they`ll surely shove there caste in there @ss...

Tumhare hisaab se to wo schedule tribe caste hai to woh to dominant ho hi nahi sakti...

Ab bolo kya fayada iss sabka??

What's are effect of Dominant castes on society ?

There are two type of castes in dominant castes -- ascending castes and Descending castes.

Ascending castes which are rising in power and social hierarchy eg. Jat ,Yadav ,Tyagi,Martha.

Descending castes are loosing charm of yesteryears for eg. Rajput,Brahmins Bhumihar.

Where these two meets creates upheaval,chaos and violence in the society ...

for eg. Haryana (Jats vs Brahmins),Raj (Jats vs Rajputs) or UP (Yadavs vs Brahmins), Maharastra (Martha vs Non Martha) ... this list goes on ...

Where would you place Dalit/Kayestho, Nomo, Shudro? Bengalee Hindus are mostly these.

For academic interest,

a. What about Bengal, NE, J&K, Kerala, Odissa, Karantaka, Maharastra and A-N? And also the Nepalese?

b. Can you categorize them into the acceptable cast divisions, ie, into Brahmin, Ksyatraya, Vasya and Sudra?

For what ever interest :D

a. Kerala ... Nairs were traditional Dominant castes but EZHAVAS are the new ascending castes , Similarly Lingayats and Vokaligga are dominant castes in India.

b. Well ! Brahmin,kshatriya etc are redundant is modern times , Now two class of castes exists in India.. Forward castes and Backwards castes..

Note:Some Backward castes able to capture power due to their numerical superiority ! (Elections) for eg. Mulayam Singh Yadav in UP, Reddy in Andhra Pradesh.
After capturing power , they challenged or even dominated forward castes in the most sphere of the society.But media remains in control of forward castes , Hence media always portray Jat,Gujjar in bad light .

Actually it`s my fingers not mouth who are typing ...

& let me know you one DOMINANT cast in Rajasthan, it`s "Meena", go wherever in higher posts ie.-IAS, IPS, RAS, Police ,Railay etc etc. you`ll find 3 out of 5 Meena there..

Now If any body mess with them in Illusion of martial ism they`ll surely shove there caste in there @ss...

Tumhare hisaab se to wo schedule tribe caste hai to woh to dominant ho hi nahi sakti...

Ab bolo kya fayada iss sabka??

Now you are talking !

Bhai palat ke dekho .. mera second post .. I have included Meena in dominant castes !

P.S.: Meena se koyi personal experience hai kya ... hai to share karo :P

Dominant caste in modern India is surely the RICH caste.

Not always .. all Rich castes are not dominant castes and vice versa !

They are indeed Politically powerful and sometimes socially irritant too :P

For eg. Jats of Harayana do some honour killing on order of Khap Panchayat... No Political party has courage to stop this evil practice.

Now which one of these be your cast? Nomo? Shudro? Dalit? Kayestho? Or are you Outcast?

You seems to enjoying the fallacy rather seeking truth.

Indian society is not as divided as you think, People of all castes ,at village, live harmoniously with each other.

It is more like if dog bite a man , then it is no news.

But if man bites a dog, That is the news.

So what you hear about dalit atrocity in news over TV is more of the type of man biting a dog news.

inferiority complexed indians....discussing their insecurities rooting from slave history out in the open.........

so now i know why indian punjabis consider them superior over all other indians.........and they identify themselves as punjabi instead of indian out in the west.

Back
Top Bottom