What's new

When surprise attack from Okha sank Pak navy ships

bloo

Reaction score
Country
India
When surprise attack from Okha sank Pak navy ships

8evol1.jpg

The highly successful missile attack on Karachi port on December 4 during the 1971 war by Indian Navy was the first of its kind naval offensive, which originated from Okha naval base in Gujarat.

The surprise attack on Pakistani Naval headquarters, where almost the entire fleet of Pakistan Navy was harboured then, sank several Pakistan Navy ships and crippled the country’s maritime trade. The success of the operation prompted Indian Navy to declare December 4 as Navy Day, thereafter.

Vadodara-based Commander (Retd) Bharat Patel, then a young Lieutenant, was posted at Okha naval base as a communication officer, saw the operation commence and then received the news of successful attack. The base then became the target of constant pounding byPakistan Air Force rendering it ineffective for launching any further missile ships. However, by then, the damage to the most important and a heavily guarded Karachi port had been done.

“At Okha, the three missile bearing naval ships were to be towed by other ships because of their limited range. Accompanied by a refueling tanker, the ships sailed out at evening, which was quite unusual since there were no night operating facilities available at the base. Fishermen carrying lanterns lined up their vessels on both sides of the canal from the jetty to guide the way,” recalls Cdr Patel, talking to TOI on the eve of 41st Vijay Divas, which marked India’s victory over Pakistan in 1971.

“Till then, we all thought it was one of the night exercises in view of the threat of Pak attack. Then, in the middle of the night, I was woken up to receive a top secret message in the communication room. The message said ‘Karachi had been successfully attacked.” That’s when we got to know about operation Trident (the name given to the Op of missile attack on Karachi).”

By four in the morning, Pakistan fighter planes swooped down at the base, with the intentions of attacking the missile ships, hoping that the same had returned to the base by then. “But, anticipating the move, all the ships anchored at Okha had been moved away while the attack ships were headed some other way. The planes could hit only a refueling tank. For the next three days, they continued to pound us, but fortunately, there was not a single casualty,” remembers Patel, who was incidentally, one of the only three Gujaratis serving with the Indian Navy then. “All three of us were Patels,” he laughs.

Now, 68-year-old runs a construction business in the city. Patel remembers further Pak air attacks continuing till December 10 during the base was badly damaged, but without any casualty. “Immediately after the ceasefire, Navy chief Admiral S M Nanda flew down to meet us at Okha saying, “I want to congratulate these boys who carried out a direct naval attack.’” It was the first time that missiles were used for direct attack by Navy.

When surprise attack from Okha sank Pak navy ships - The Times of India

I like the premptive thinking on the air strikes,the IAF also showed it learns quickly when after seeing the egyptian air force being destroyed on the ground by the israelis,it took safety measures and PAF attempts to do the same in the opening hours of 1971 were foiled.As for the innovative use of missile boats.Jugaad.:)

Salute to the IN planners who planned this OP and officers who implemented it
58hzg.gif

PAF Creates Spectacular Fireworks At Okha

On the night of 4 December 1971, Indian Osa missile boats attacked the Pakistan Navy, hitting a destroyer and a minesweeper southeast of Karachi. The menace of Indian missile boats was a very serious threat not only to the Navy but also to other Pakistani ships in the Arabian Sea and in the Karachi harbour. Pakistan retaliated by causing extensive damage through a single B-57 attack on Okha naval base in India. The bombs scored direct hit on fuel dumps, ammunition dump and the missile boats jetty. The missile boat attacks on Pakistani naval installations ceased thereafter.

attackokha.jpg

In the wake of the missile attack, Pak Navy felt – almost as an after-thought – that the home base of the missile boats at Okha needed to be taken out. In all likelihood, the tit-for-tat raid serving as a retribution of sorts would have been uppermost in the minds of the Naval Staff. In any case, the necessity of tackling the threat of missile boats also sank in at PAF’s COC and it was agreed to attack Okha harbour. Of course, it was not expected that the missile boats would still be berthed at the quay-side in Okha. As a matter of fact, these had already been dispersed to smaller locations along the Saurashtra Coast, even before the war had started. Nonetheless, it was the considered opinion of Pak Navy that a hit on the infrastructure could hamper missile boat operations to some extent.

On the evening of 5 December, Flt Lt Shabbir A Khan was standing out on the B-57 tarmac watching preparations for the night missions, when he was informed about being detailed for a strike on Okha harbour. He, along with his navigator, Sqn Ldr Ansar Ahmad, rushed off to the operations room to start planning the mission. Two hours after moonrise seemed like a good selection of the TOT, as the glimmering sea would clearly outline the edges of the darkened harbour.

Taking off at 2210 hrs, the B-57 got a fiery send-off as the AAA opened up in the nearby Karachi harbour, signalling an air raid. Continuing the take-off, Shabbir and Ansar settled down to watch – with unnerving anticipation – the moonbeams dazzling the creeks and estuaries of the Kutch Coast to their port side. Finally, turning to the attack heading, they picked up a sizeable flotilla on their radar, about 20-nm to their starboard. There was a temptation to go for the ships, but discipline prevailed and they continued for the designated target. Reaching the pull-up point, Shabbir pushed the throttles to 100% power, while Ansar started to guide him into the attack. Just when Shabbir pressed the bomb release button and there was no release, Ansar realised that he had forgotten to arm the release switch. In a fraction of a second he flipped the switch on and Shabbir pipped the button again, pulling out of the dive narrowly. After some 10-odd seconds, there was a tremendous flash of light and the aircraft shook up with the blast. A direct hit had been achieved as nine 500-lb bombs slammed into fuel tanks and other stores at the harbour. In the meantime AAA had started to fire and the sky seemed ablaze. Shabbir and Ansar saw the shells continuously exploding along the aircraft’s flight path but luckily, the bomber escaped unscathed.

The attack had been a tremendous success and, news that the home base of the missile boats was in flames turned out to be thoroughly cathartic for all and sundry in the Pak Navy and PAF. A pair of F-104s which visited Okha for another attack four days later, reported that the harbour was still smouldering and the smoke could be seen from as far as 60-nm. The Indian Official History of 1971 Indo-Pak War notes that, “two air attacks were also carried out on Okha and some fuel tanks were set ablaze, thereby denying the missile boats any further use of this port as a forward base.”[6]

This attack had no effect on the blockade. PN could not get anything into east Pakistan.

depends on source.. what we are discussing here is an event which has been documented by third party sources not just rubber stamped by some madarassah imam

TOI is a third party source. ??? is that what your Guru Gobar Parsad has injected into your grey matter. :cheesy:

TOI is a third party source. ??? is that what your Guru Gobar Parsad has injected into your grey matter. :cheesy:

I don't know why Pakistan lost, after reading your posts which are hinting a tremendous victory for Pakistan in 1971 war, I don't even know why Pakistan surrendered. :cheesy:

Can you enlighten us in this regard.

Can anybody please tell me what is the topic ???
Indian surprise attack or PAF's retaliation ???

Ok I remember some people using this off topic clause :D let's see how they feel about it ?
Mod could judge better here@Oscar @ANTIBODY

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know why Pakistan lost, after reading your posts which are hinting a tremendous victory for Pakistan in 1971 war, I don't even know why Pakistan surrendered. :cheesy:

Can you enlighten us in this regard.
First go and enlighten your self to differentiate between Eastern and Western sectors and perhaps let me know where i claimed a tremendous victory....or may be you are also incompetent to comprehend between a certain mission and an overall war.
I believe, what's being discussed here transpired in the Western sector. !!!

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom