What's new

What was your first personal computer?

02372aeb8d9447103c8dd22b0231e51e.jpg

I use one of these....:lol:

Last edited:
My first one was HCL leaptop pentium dual core, RAM 256 MB only with 80 GB HDD, surprisingly it had DVD/R-RW slot and a webcam as well.

Last edited:
Haha, I remember those, my first one around the age of 4 was the BBC Master

Then my next one all the way in the early 90s, maybe 1992 was branded 386 from Tatung.

It had a whopping 100 MB harddrive, 2mb ram, and it had a turbo button :P.

Interesting thread. Well my 1st was an AMD K-6/2 500mhz, from there i moved on to 2.4 ghz P-4, then i bought an HP centrino note book, then back again to a P-4 but this time it was a 2.66 ghz and now i have a 2.5ghz dual core.

My First computer was a laptop. With 4 GB Hard Disk & 128 mb ram Operation Sys. Windows 98...:(

Mine was 386(don't know the exact name and specs).My father bought it back in 93-94.It had two sets of floppy drives and also a key(metallic) to lock the computer. It had a word processor and some sort of excel like software.

I played Prince of persia,some sports bike game e.t.c. It even had a basic F-117 simulator.I loved that game.

It looked pretty much like this one.

cbacdd2ee2c52d3e08434760a45d3020.jpg

It had a whopping 100 MB harddrive, 2mb ram, and it had a turbo button

My PC's CPU also had a turbo button.

Mine was 386(don't know the exact name and specs).My father bought it back in 93-94.It had two sets of floppy drives and also a key(metallic) to lock the computer. It had a word processor and some sort of excel like software.

I played Prince of persia,some sports bike game e.t.c. It even had a basic F-117 simulator.I loved that game.

It looked pretty much like this one.

cbacdd2ee2c52d3e08434760a45d3020.jpg

My PC's CPU also had a turbo button.
Yeah I played Prince of Persia and the F-117 simulation game. My favorite was Civilization, though.

I think the Excel like software you're talking about is Lotus 123. Mine wasn't a tower casing though. An year later I bought something called the Multimedia kit which had just hit the market, by Creative.

It had speakers, a soundblaster 16, and a 2x CD rom drive and a Trident video card, I think it was in the KBs - can't remember. Life was good!

It ran Dos 5.0 and I was super psyched when I got Dos 6.2. It was so fast. I hated using Windows 3.1, it wasn't really an operating system, it ran on top of Dos. Just made everything clickable with the icons. Too slow for me.

The most entertaining PC I have and still works.
Digital PDP 8e :D
a93aa2e7aba6c6432644738d18a56433.jpg

Also Apple Macs, G3, G4, iMac and a Pentium 4 all networked.

Yeah I played Prince of Persia and the F-117 simulation game. My favorite was Civilization, though.

I think the Excel like software you're talking about is Lotus 123. Mine wasn't a tower casing though. An year later I bought something called the Multimedia kit which had just hit the market, by Creative.

It had speakers, a soundblaster 16, and a 2x CD rom drive and a Trident video card, I think it was in the KBs - can't remember. Life was good!

It ran Dos 5.0 and I was super psyched when I got Dos 6.2. It was so fast. I hated using Windows 3.1, it wasn't really an operating system, it ran on top of Dos. Just made everything clickable with the icons. Too slow for me.

Yes i remember now it was lotus 123. I learned about DOS when i used to operate the system. I liked windows 3.1 more as i did not like typing all those commands but then again i was a kid back then.

Ok here's the stunner, with that 386 I got the ultimate modem... I forgot the brand name but the baud rate (yes thats what modem speeds were measured in back then) was 2400 bps. That's less than 2.4 kbps per second!

I think one MB download took about 1 hour. The best thing is, there was no internet (in common usage) back then. We used to log on to several BBS (Bulletin Board Service) back then. They were like individual websites hosted on people's PCs connected to another modem on the telephone wire. You had to dial their numbers and connect on them to use it. There were little to no graphics in them and everything was text based. These were mostly the first forums. We would discuss stuff there.

The major upgrade came with RIPTerm, which made things a lot mouse based. You could click on stuff. BBS even got games and chat features. People would play RPG games like LORD (Legend of the Red Dragon). It had zero graphics, but everything was written there and the scenes were described.

The internet came in around 1994, and we had to get it. It was very expensive, about 20dh/hour. We would log on, open up a bunch of web pages, log off and then read. Then log in, click somewhere else and then log off and read.

My 1st PC was P-3, 500MHz, 32MB ram, 56kbps modem, 4GB HD, i bought it in 1999/2000!

BTW, notice how this thread is the perfect way to find out how rich/how old a poster is :-) If Dabong1 is telling the truth, he was either rich or is very old!

I was about 12-13 when i bought the ZX Spectrum +2 .....my family said they would pay for half the cost if i got the other half,so i worked for 6 months after school until i saved up..:cheers:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom