What's new

What is Modi’s strategic vision?

Not in India. The govt is very much ruled by a committe, called the Union cabinet. It is a collective decision making body consisting of the PM and his council of ministers. Currently there are 28 ministers and a PM in the union cabinet.

The union cabinet is the supreme decision making body, just as the lower house of parliament (Lok Sabha) is the supreme lawmaking body.

Cabinet of India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Cabinet Secretariat - Government of India
Yes, but the PM is the head of the govt and has certain executive powers, you can't possible make out that being a PM is insignificant/irrelevant in India. All democracies have cabinets.

There you are simply contrasting the Indian system with the US, and calling it a failing because it is different from the American system. In India, the views and policies of individual candidates are not considered important - it is the views of the political party that matters, because governance is collectively done. It is a parliamentary democracy, not a presidential one.

The views and policies of the party are set forth in the manifesto, and also elucidated by the official spokespersons. That is not a failing, but a feature of Indian democracy.

As for congress not declaring their candidate - that is how they have played, most of the time. In many previous elections, they have not declared a prime ministerial candidate. It is nothing new or surprising.

There is a more fundamental reason why the US politicians have to talk about their global views. The Foundation of the US economy is the almighty USD which is hedged against Oil forcing all nations to buy Oil in USD. They ensure this by having a military base in most oil producing nations and declaring others as part of "axis of evil". For any US politician to talk realistically about US economy, he should to have a firm grip on Global scenarios.

Indian politician suffers from no such compulsions and is free to look inward and focus on what is relevent to the Indian public and not to media houses.

Yes, but the PM is the head of the govt and has certain executive powers, you can't possible make out that being a PM is insignificant/irrelevant in India. All democracies have cabinets.

Not all democracies, only the ones that follow the westminster system.

The PM has executive powers in principle, but in reality, actions are always taken collectively by the cabinet of ministers. They are answerable to the party. It is the party that makes the PM, not the people. The party can control the decisions of the cabinet.

Most decisions, if not all, are taken collectively. I cannot recollecct any instance of a PM unilaterally taking a decision or exercising his executive powers without the backing of the cabinet. All executive actions are done after a cabinet meeting.

There is a more fundamental reason why the US politicians have to talk about their global views. The Foundation of the US economy is the almighty USD which is hedged against Oil forcing all nations to buy Oil in USD. They ensure this by having a military base in most oil producing nations and declaring others as part of "axis of evil". For any US politician to talk realistically about US economy, he should to have a firm grip on Global scenarios.

Indian politician suffers from no such compulsions and is free to look inward and focus on what is relevent to the Indian public and not to media houses.
You are tlking about the issue of why US presidential candidates are expected to talk about their foreign policy and even military views, but Indian politicians are not. That is true, but my point was about why Indian politicians do not have to voice their individual views at all, about any issue - it is the stance of the party that matters.

For example, if the declared stance of the BJP is that they will not allow FDI (I'm giving a hypothetical example), then Modi will not declare that if he becomes PM, he will change that. They always speak about what the party will do when in power, not what an individual will do. OTOH, during the presidential primaries in the US, the contestants within the party often have differing views. McCain wanted the troops to stay in Iraq for a hundred years if necessary, Ron Paul declared he would bring them back the next day, Mitt Romney had other ideas...

So in the USA, the question that the politicians address is what they will do about something when they become president or governor or senator. But in India, the question is usually what the party's stance is.

In my opinion, each system suits the respective country.

Coming to the particular question of foreign policy, obviously the US influences globa events much more than India does, so the president is expected to hav a firm grasp on those matters. For instance, the presidential candidates will be asked questions about whether to continue drone strikes in Pakistan, what they will do to help the afghan govt, what their midle east policy is, whether they would support the syrian insurgency or not, whether US sould continue selling treasury bonds to China etc - but the questions we would ask our politicians are mostly about domestic issues, with the possible exception of terrorism emanating from neighbouring countries.

Last edited:
Mr. Moodi please correct your Human Rights Record History.
It's the hindus and muslims of Gujarat who need to correct themselves. It was they who rioted, not Modi.

BTW history cannot be changed. The future could, and I believe will be different.

It's the hindus and muslims of Gujarat who need to correct themselves. It was they who rioted, not Modi.
BTW history cannot be changed. The future could, and I believe will be different.
I agree, but the Vision of the Leaders can guide the people's emotions.

Modi has a very well defined and crafted domestic and foreign policy and we will see it put into action as soon as he becomes the PM.

India will be completely changed if we get a decade of his leadership, our strategic culture, our response to the domestic and foreign issues, the assertiveness of India.

It will be a welcome change from the non existent lunj-punj UPA sham of a government, especially UPA-2.

Kaneda

What would be the Strategic vision of a Murderous Thug ?

Kill more Muslims , I guess.....

The only strategic vision i heard is "To become the PM of India" Other than that i havent heard anything, But if some one have any info please care to share here

You got it all wrong- acquire power and retain power...that would be the more accurate description of strategic vision :coffee:

To me it tells something about the society and people in general and the person wearing the coat/wasket in particular. Do you feel better being photographed with a stylized handkerchief or with a pen in your coat, and similar holds for the society as well. Would you like to follow the fashion in general or you would rather prefer to look different with something better/different instead.

Respect for knowledge is an important theme in India. @kurup would have spent his days with 'Vidyarambham' every year where during the festival dy we wake up early, wash, pray and then immediately get down to writing alphabets in puffed rice and spend much of the day studying or reading.I never understood the symbolism as a kid but know where my respect for knowledgeable people everywhere in the world comes from there (Abdus Salam in Pak, Einstein or Garcia Marquez) comes from. The moment I know a guy is 'learned' I feel respect for them unless they have done something truly despicable or heinously political.

Last edited:
What would be the Strategic vision of a Murderous Thug ?

Kill more Muslims , I guess.....
Cleared by the highest court in India- 'huff said. I'm not even a Modi supporter per se but Muslims of India have put this to one side (as has the "benevolent" 'Merica) so there's no need for any outsiders to keep dragging this up.

In the India of today leaders are increasingly picked on what they can deliver in terms of development ad progress-rellgion and all other such BS is irrelevant and this model is becoming ever more common throughout Indian states and elections on any level. This is how a nation moves foreword and develops itself.

Please try to understand....

Cleared by the highest court in India- 'huff said. I'm not even a Modi supporter per se but Muslims of India have put this to one side (as has the "benevolent" 'Merica) so there's no need for any outsiders to keep dragging this up.

In the India of today leaders are increasingly picked on what they can deliver in terms of development ad progress-rellgion and all other such BS is irrelevant and this model is becoming ever more common throughout Indian states and elections on any level. This is how a nation moves foreword and develops itself.

Please try to understand....

Kangaroo Courts can white wash anybody's Crimes.

He was the Chief Minister of the State.

Under his orders the Police stood by and watched the Massacre/Genocide.

In any event the Genocide took place under his watch.

That is Proof enough for any reasonable person.

Wah the Indian supreme court is a kangaroo court according to you.

The only strategic vision i heard is "To become the PM of India" Other than that i havent heard anything, But if some one have any info please care to share here

We do not share any info to someone who does not capacity to see and ready which is already on the media....It is a different matter if some one does not want to listen to it...

Of course...not...After independence....thousands of riot happens ..That did not prevent any CM to go to jail? Why only him? Just because some sections of Muslim people and poliical party to get their vote says some one is guily, that does not mean he is guilty....It is better to listen to your so called Kangaroo court as per your langugate than anti national people and their political parties of India..

I agree, under Gujarat Police's watch 58 Hindus including women and children were burnt alive by the rampaging Muslim mob in Godhara. In fact this has been an old tradition followed by the Muslims in Gujarat, they love to burn the Hindus alive.

This was an attempted "genocide" of Hindus. Without any protection from state, Hindus had no other option but to defend themselves. Attackers were successfully beaten back. I call it "Natural Justice" and "Self Defense".

Back
Top Bottom