What's new

What is a leader

Dubious

RETIRED MOD
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
I know a similar thread was running some yrs back and it was trolled and ended up becoming how great is the guy I call leader

Kindly do not troll- You wanna vomit crap go do it elsewhere

You forgot your manners or wanna pick a fight do it elsewhere I got no time to teach you manners if your mom and teacher failed - I wont succeed!

I have dedicated this thread to those few people who have leadership qualities

No not of people who use country's money make things and name it after themselves or get it in media to get praises...That is no leader but one who suffers a degree of ADHD and dying for a stage to preform on since he didnt make it through auditions!

I am starting with this man CEO of Japanese airways

@Nihonjin1051

Before people flip their lids its a random start .....

And no I DO NOT really consider people who do good as leaders...They may be angels but they may not be leaders....I will make a few points about what a leader really is once this neighbour's kid stops crying...God my head!

Last edited:
What may be a good leader for business may be a terrible leader for a country/ nation

I would go through a few posts regarding different leadership attributes I am cutting this post and putting my words in quote to differentiate it from the original article:

Top 10 Qualities That Make A Great Leader

ENTREPRENEURS 12/19/2012 @ 11:00AM

Having a great idea, and assembling a team to bring that concept to life is the first step in creating a successful business venture. While finding a new and unique idea is rare enough; the ability to successfully execute this idea is what separates the dreamers from the entrepreneurs. However you see yourself, whatever your age may be, as soon as you make that exciting first hire, you have taken the first steps in becoming a powerful leader. When money is tight, stress levels are high, and the visions of instant success don’t happen like you thought, it’s easy to let those emotions get to you, and thereby your team. Take a breath, calm yourself down, and remind yourself of the leader you are and would like to become. Here are some key qualities that every good leader should possess, and learn to emphasize.

Honesty

Whatever ethical plane you hold yourself to, when you are responsible for a team of people, its important to raise the bar even higher. Your business and its employees are a reflection of yourself, and if you make honest and ethical behavior a key value, your team will follow suit.

Hence why for Pakistan I say if the leader doesnt initiate a good example EXPECTING people to change overnight is laugh worthy

People tell me if the people are bad they will choose a bad leader...I say if the guy was leader material nothing could make him that bad in fact he would be able to change people

When leaders are corrupt and expect the people to be good it is pure hypocritical....As the leader YOU are the one who is supposed to show the example! You are the one with responsibilities of a state

As we do at Onevest, the crowdfunding platform for entrepreneurs and small businesses I co-founded, try to make a list of values and core beliefs that both you and your brand represent, and post this in your office. Promote a healthy interoffice lifestyle, and encourage your team to live up to these standards. By emphasizing these standards, and displaying them yourself, you will hopefully influence the office environment into a friendly and helpful workspace.

A good leader is a good example to follow not one who is equally corrupt as the people and then hypocritically blames the people while he is mirroring them and isnt something new

Ability to Delegate

Finessing your brand vision is essential to creating an organized and efficient business, but if you don’t learn to trust your team with that vision, you might never progress to the next stage. Its important to remember that trusting your team with your idea is a sign of strength, not weakness. Delegating tasks to the appropriate departments is one of the most important skills you can develop as your business grows. The emails and tasks will begin to pile up, and the more you stretch yourself thin, the lower the quality of your work will become, and the less you will produce.

When you have a family business or even only employ your ethnic people that is lack of trust...and not involving the locals is another sign of lack of trust...If you dont trust your people and miraculously expect them to trust you...You need to enroll into the nearest mental ward!

The key to delegation is identifying the strengths of your team, and capitalizing on them. Find out what each team member enjoys doing most. Chances are if they find that task more enjoyable, they will likely put more thought and effort behind it. This will not only prove to your team that you trust and believe in them, but will also free up your time to focus on the higher level tasks, that should not be delegated. It’s a fine balance, but one that will have a huge impact on the productivity of your business.

If your team enjoys corruption, obviously you should just sack em and not feed em

Communication

Knowing what you want accomplished may seem clear in your head, but if you try to explain it to someone else and are met with a blank expression, you know there is a problem. If this has been your experience, then you may want to focus on honing your communication skills. Being able to clearly and succinctly describe what you want done is extremely important. If you can’t relate your vision to your team, you won’t all be working towards the same goal.

The underlined part is something my dad emphasized on as I was growing up....

Training new members and creating a productive work environment all depend on healthy lines of communication. Whether that stems from an open door policy to your office, or making it a point to talk to your staff on a daily basis, making yourself available to discuss interoffice issues is vital. Your team will learn to trust and depend on you, and will be less hesitant to work harder.

When you barely even attend the assembly to listen or be heard, when you barely address your people, not sure why you want to be considered a leader and not a king?

Sense of Humor

If your website crashes, you lose that major client, or your funding dries up, guiding your team through the process without panicking is as challenging as it is important. Morale is linked to productivity, and it’s your job as the team leader to instill a positive energy. That’s where your sense of humor will finally pay off. Encourage your team to laugh at the mistakes instead of crying. If you are constantly learning to find the humor in the struggles, your work environment will become a happy and healthy space, where your employees look forward to working in, rather than dreading it. Make it a point to crack jokes with your team and encourage personal discussions of weekend plans and trips. It’s these short breaks from the task at hand that help keep productivity levels high and morale even higher.

Randomly firing people or firing on people for traffic light, guava, peacock's death is one who needs to seek a psychiatrist pronto

while looking the other way where SERIOUS mistakes happen are seriously a joke! i.e flood, sanitation system - major cause of polio prob

Personal discussions are a need while personal attacks, nonsense criticism is unneeded for

At Onevest, we place a huge emphasis on humor and a light atmosphere. Our office is dog friendly, and we really believe it is the small, light hearted moments in the day that help keep our work creative and fresh. One tradition that we like to do and brings the team closer is we plan a fun prank on all new employees, on their first day. It breaks the ice and immediately creates that sense of familiarity.

Confidence

There may be days where the future of your brand is worrisome and things aren’t going according to plan. This is true with any business, large or small, and the most important thing is not to panic. Part of your job as a leader is to put out fires and maintain the team morale. Keep up your confidence level, and assure everyone that setbacks are natural and the important thing is to focus on the larger goal. As the leader, by staying calm and confident, you will help keep the team feeling the same. Remember, your team will take cues from you, so if you exude a level of calm damage control, your team will pick up on that feeling. The key objective is to keep everyone working and moving ahead

You dont go around bashing your country and calling it failed just coz you arent confident enough....

Commitment

If you expect your team to work hard and produce quality content, you’re going to need to lead by example. There is no greater motivation than seeing the boss down in the trenches working alongside everyone else, showing that hard work is being done on every level. By proving your commitment to the brand and your role, you will not only earn the respect of your team, but will also instill that same hardworking energy among your staff. It’s important to show your commitment not only to the work at hand, but also to your promises. If you pledged to host a holiday party, or uphold summer Fridays, keep your word. You want to create a reputation for not just working hard, but also be known as a fair leader. Once you have gained the respect of your team, they are more likely to deliver the peak amount of quality work possible.

If you pledge to drag Zardari, we are still waiting :pop:
Another form of commitment could be riding the very metro bus you build, getting equal hrs of load shedding as the rest of the country and many more such things would demonstrate commitment

Top 10 Qualities That Make A Great Leader - Forbes

This last bit was ESP demonstrated by the CEO of the Japanese airlines as in my 1st post

Last edited:
“If you can become the leader you ought to be on the inside, you will be able to become the person you want on the outside. People will want to follow you. And when that happens, you’ll be able to tackle anything in this world."

1. Character: Be a Piece of the Rock

“Leadership is the capacity and will to rally men and women to a common purpose and the character which inspires confidence.” ~ Bernard Montgomery, British Field Marshal

And people are always trying to wonder why in Pakistani constitution states:
  • Able to provide a good conduct of character and is not commonly known as one who violates Islamic Injunctions

What must everyone know about character?

Actions are the Real Indicator of Character
Talent is a Gift, but Character is a Choice
Character Brings Lasting Success with People
Strong Character is the Foundation on which to Build Success

2. Charisma : The First Impression Can Seal the Deal “How can you have charisma? Be more concerned about making others feel good about themselves than you are making them feel good about you.” ~Dan Reiland, Vice President of Leadership Development, INJOY

Couldnt have put it better

“When it comes to charisma,
the bottom line is othermindedness. Leaders who think about others and their concerns before thinking of themselves exhibit charisma.” ~John C. Maxwell

Those people who dont even share 1% of the suffering of the common people cant put themselves in their shoes to feel a thing....

Commitment: It separates Doers from Dreamers

To the boxer, it’s getting off the mat one more time than you’ve been knocked down.
To the marathoner, it’s running another ten miles when your strength is gone.
To the solider, it’s going over the hill, not knowing what’s waiting on the other side.

To the leader, it’s all that and more because everyone you lead it depending on you.

Yet when you obnoxiously claim it is not your problem, individual province then you arent a leader of a country you are owner of an area maybe

Improve your Commitment
Look at how you spend your time, are you really committed or
do you just say you are?
Know what’s worth dying for.
Practice the Edison method. Make your plans public, then you might be more committed to follow through.

Be transparent and stop hiding things!

At least attend the bloody assembly which voted for you to give you the bloody status you are sucking off

4. Communication: Without It You Travel Alone
Simplify your Message- It’s not what you say, but also how you say it.
Really Care about your Audience

Show the Truth- Believe what you say, Live what you say
Seek a Response- the goal of all communication is action

Zardari on the streets, swiss bank, load shedding ending in 3mths (oh wait that deadline is extinct)

Developing excellent communication skills is absolutely essential to effective leadership. The leader must be able to share knowledge and ideas to transmit a sense of urgency and enthusiasm to others. If a leader can’t get a message across clearly to motivate others to act on it, then having a message doesn’t even matter.” ~Gilbert Amelio

5. Competence: If you build it, they will come
“Competence goes beyond words. It’s the leader’s ability to say it, plan it, and do it in such a way that others know that you know how- and know that they want to follow you.” ~ John. C. Maxwell

Keys to Cultivate High Competence

Show up Every Day & Come Ready to Work
Attend the assembly
Keep Learning, Growing, and Improving
Dont be Mr. know it all
Follow Through with Excellence
Being PM of a country means follow through ALL provinces
Accomplish More than Expected
I cant even quote on this...
Inspire and Motivate Others
Instead of bashing others left right and center!

6. Courage: One Person with Courage is a Majority
“Courage is fear that has said its prayers.” ~Karl Barth, Swiss Theologian
“Courage is doing what you’re afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you’re scared.” ~Eddie Rickenbacker

“You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, ‘I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.’ You must do the thing you cannot do.” ~Eleanor Roosevelt

7. Discernment: Put an End to Unsolved Mysteries
Smart leaders believe only half of what they hear. Discerning leaders know which have to believe.” ~ John. C. Maxwell

Effective leaders need discernment, although even good leaders don’t display it all the time.

Examples of Famous last words:
“I think there is a world market for about five computers.” Thomas J. Watson, chairman of IBM .(1943)
“I don’t need bodyguards.” Jimmy Hoffa, one month before disappearance (1975)

8. Focus: The Sharper It Is; The Sharper You Are

The Keys are Priorities and Concentration
Cant emphasize more on this

A leader who knows what his priorities are but lacks concentration knows what to do but never gets it done.
If he has concentration but no priorities, he has excellence without progress.
I think this is where we are swimming

But when he harnesses both, he has potential to achieve great things.

How should you focus your time and energy?
Focus 70 Percent on Strengths- Develop them to their fullest potential
Focus 25 Percent on New Things - Growth = Change
Focus 5 Percent on Areas of Weakness
Minimize weaknesses as much as possible, delegate

Our strength is our population not our infrastructure...

9. Generosity: Your Candle Loses Nothing When It Lights Another
“No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been the reward for what he gave.” ~ Calvin Coolidge, American President
All that is not given is lost.” ~ Rabinranath Tagore, Indian Poet
Islam says this but no one listens it appears on the internet everyone is all ears :tsk:

Cultivate the Quality of Generosity in Your Life n Be Grateful For What You Have
Put People First
Don’t Allow the Desire for Possessions to Control You
Enough with the Mercedes
Regard Money as a Resource n Develop the Habit of Giving
Islam says this no one will listen some gora puts it in their slide everyone bows

This my province my ethnic people attitude needs to die!

10. Initiative: You Won’t Leave Home Without It
Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don’t quit.” ~Conrad Hilton, Hotel Executive

Qualities Leaders Posses To Make Things Happen
They Know What They Want
They Push Themselves to Act
They Take More Risks
They Make More Mistake

11. Listening: To Connect With Their Hearts,
Use Your Ears
You have to be silent to listen.
Both words are formed from the same letters.
S-i-l-e-n-t
L-i-s-t-e-n

The ear of the leader must ring with the voices of the people.” ~ Woodrow Wilson, American President
“A good leader encourages followers to tell him what he needs to know, not what he wants to hear.” ~John C. Maxwel

12. Passion: Take This Life and Love It
“Concentrate on what you do well, and do it better than anybody else.” ~ John Schnatter, founder of Papa John’s Pizza

What makes it possible for people who might seem ordinary to achieve great things?
Fact: More than 50% of all CEOs of Fortune 500 companies had C or C- averages in college
Fact: Nearly 75% of all U.S. Presidents were in the bottom half of their school classes
Fact: More than 50% of all millionaires entrepreneurs never finished college
They All Had Passion, It Makes A Difference!

13. Positive Attitude: If You Believe You Can, You Can
Your Attitude Is a Choice
Your Attitude Determines Your Actions
Your People Are a Mirror of Your Attitude
To people who say that because people are bad we get crooked PM...its actually the other way round!
Maintaining a Good Attitude Is Easier Than Regaining One

Words of Wisdom ~Thomas Edison n
“Genius is 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration.”
“If we did all the things we were capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves.”
“Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when the gave up.”

14. Problem Solving: You Can’t Let Your Problems Be A Problem “You can measure a leader by the problems he tackles. He always looks for ones his own size.” ~John C. Maxwell
I think we learned this one from Karachi
However still same amount of floods, sewage system is as old as the British india empire are just somethings that have been bred

Leaders With Good Problems Solving Abilities Demonstrate Five Qualities
They Anticipate Problems
None existence in Pakistan look at the no. of dams on hold
They Accept the Truth
They See the Big Picture
Unfortunately no one has such foresight in Pakistan
They Handle One Thing At a Time
They Don’t Give Up On a Major Goal When They’re Down

15. Relationships: If You Get Along, They’ll Get Along
“The most important single ingredient in the formula of success is knowing how to get along with people.” ~Theodore Roosevelt, American President
Stop trying to piss the public

All people have some things in common
They like to feel special, so sincerely compliment them.
Unfortunately this is the chop stamped on politician's forehead
They want a better tomorrow, so show them hope.
Roti Kapra Makan was utilized for this agenda but it died sooner than expected ...RIP
They desire direction, so navigate for them.
Hence why education is necessary which sadly isnt a priority
They are selfish, so speak to their needs first.
Loadshedding, Youtube....
They get low emotionally, so encourage them.
They want success, so help them win.

Our politicians fail to understand that THEY are public SERVANTS not bosses

16. Responsibility: If You Won’t Carry the Ball, You Can’t Lead the Team
Something that needs to be reintroduced in schools worldwide...Kids forgot that they are responsible for their shit
“ Success on any major scale requires you to accept responsibility. . . In the final analysis, the one quality that all successful people have is the ability to take on responsibility.” ~Michael Korda, Editor-in-chief of Simon & Schuster

Are You On Target When It Comes To Responsibility?
When an archer misses the mark he turns and looks for fault within himself. Failure to hit the bull’s-eye is never the fault of the target. To improve your aim, improve yourself.” ~ Gilbert Arland

Esp true regarding ALOT of things esp the system which is broken so in a way also applies to it :unsure:

17. Security: Competence Never Compensates For Insecurity
“No man will make a great leader who wants to do it all himself or get all the credit for doing it.” ~ Andrew Carnegie, Industrialist
Please learn....Making poster size pix of yourself and praising yourselves is not the way!

Margaret Thatcher, world leader
I hate her
“You don’t follow the crowd, you make up your own mind.” ~Words of encouragement from her father n She stood for conviction in leadership.
The “Iron Lady” was elected three consecutive terms as prime minister.
The ONLY British leader of modern era to achieve that great honor.
Dont know how she was in Britain but nasty woman in terms of politics maybe good for her people

18. Self-Discipline: The First Person You Lead Is You
“A man without a decision of character can never be said to belong to himself. . . He belongs to whatever can make captive of him.” ~John Foster, author
Today slaves of money can never be leaders

“Don’t quit, because once you in that mode of quitting, then you feel like it’s okay.” ~Jerry Rice, Best Ever Wide Receiver

19. Servanthood: To Get Ahead, Put Others First

“I don’t know what your destiny will be, but one thing I know: The ones among you who will be really happy are those who have sought and found how to serve.” ~ Albert Schweitzer, Philosopher & Humanitarian

Again refer to video in 1st post

People's servant not people being their servants! VIP attitude needs to die

“The true leader serves. Serves people. Serves their best interests, and in so doing will not always be popular, may not always impress. But because true leaders are motivated by loving concern rather than a desire for personal glory, they are willing to pay the price.” ~Eugene B. Habecker, Author

VIP culture must die....First man to lift it might show leadership qualities

20. Teachability: To Keep Leading, Keep Learning
“It’s what you learn after you know it all that counts.” ~John Wooden, Hall of Fame Basketball Coach
People here get offended when they are TAUGHT something like they were born with a PhD....obnoxious attitude!

Why Should You Keep Growing?
Your growth determines who you are.
Who you are determines who you attract.
Who you attract determines the success of your organization.
If you want your organization to grow, you have to remain teachable.

21. Vision: You Can Seize Only What You Can See
Apparently many think this is the only thing that determines a leader hence the metro naraa
“A great leader’s courage to fulfill his vision comes from passion, not position.” ~ John C. Maxwell

Vision is everything for a leader.
It leads the leader.
It paints the target.
It sparks and fuels the fire within, and draws him forward.
It is also the fire lighter for others who follow that leader

Remember “If you can dream it, you can do it.” ~Walt Disney

Source: http://www.ansc.purdue.edu/courses/communicationskills/leaderqualities.pdf

Last edited:
One thing that Leaders dont have and dont need is the honesty, be an honest leader and you will end up in a gutter. This is 21st century, principles have changed, land scape has changed. Leader needs a set goal and then make it happen any which way possible.

@Leader @waz @Jungibaaz @Manticore @Emmie @Horus @Slav Defence @TankMan @Jazzbot @chauvunist @WebMaster @Wolfhound @spymaster @MastanKhan @Secur @Areesh @AUz @Aether @Atanz @rockstar08 @IrbiS @WAJsal @S.U.R.B. @Spring Onion @RescueRanger @qamar1990 @Pakistanisage @p(-)0ENiX @Muhammad Omar @Men in Green @Luftwaffe @LoveIcon @KingMamba @ZYXW @Marshmallow @JonAsad @Irfan Baloch @Indus Falcon @HRK @Armstrong @Hyperion (merhbani dont troll) @Gufi @farhan_9909 @Durrak @Al Bhatti @Dr. Stranglove @Devil Soul @DiehardPakNerd @DRaisinHerald @Darth Vader @Developereo @Bratva @balixd

One thing that Leaders dont have and dont need is the honesty, be an honest leader and you will end up in a gutter. This is 21st century, principles have changed, land scape has changed. Leader needs a set goal and then make it happen any which way possible.
That is where we are wrong....Because we dont have honest people we dont have proper leaders....Because of such mindsets we have settled with whatever shit we get

Even EU believes there hasnt been a proper leader (attended a discussion like thing during a course where representatives of different countries were present though I might say it may be biased as they enjoyed bashing Russia and China) not even in USA...

Leader needs a set goal and then make it happen any which way possible.
That is not a leader....Honestly speaking ALMOST every other person can do such things by hook or by crook - Doesnt make him a leader but just a do-er

@chauvunist @Jazzbot please give input...Looks like my threads are loners except for the usual trolls popping in and destroying it :cray:

That is where we are wrong....Because we dont have honest people we dont have proper leaders....

Even EU believes there hasnt been a proper leader (attended a discussion like thing during a course where representatives of different countries were present though I might say it may be biased as they enjoyed bashing Russia and China) not even in USA...

well what xyxmt has said its kind of truth but against the moral values as Human and Muslim ...
for example , everyone Lie in their life time ,so i guess its hard to speak truth all the time , a truthful leader cant lead liars ..
but that is a bit complicated ... the problem in Pakistan is that People are bad , dishonest , liars , hypocrites , cheaters and law abiding peoples .. so the fault is within us , if we are as nation fix ourselves , i am sure we can produce at least one Leader like Quaid-e-Azam , Nelson Mandela etc ..

well what xyxmt has said its kind of truth but against the moral values as Human and Muslim ...
for example , everyone Lie in their life time ,so i guess its hard to speak truth all the time , a truthful leader cant lead liars ..
Prophet was a human and an example he was called the truthful even before prophethood....

2ndly, It isnt hard...but material desires cloud our thinking so bad we find it hard! As a matter of fact it is harder to lie and having to maintain it!

the problem in Pakistan is that People are bad , dishonest , liars , hypocrites , cheaters and law abiding peoples .. so the fault is within us , if we are as nation fix ourselves , i am sure we can produce at least one Leader like Quaid-e-Azam , Nelson Mandela etc ..
I think you didnt read my posts...

@Jungibaaz you read sooo fast :o:

@rockstar08
The people are a mirror of the leader not the other way round...Another point also brought this up
13. Positive Attitude: If You Believe You Can, You Can
Your Attitude Is a Choice
Your Attitude Determines Your Actions
Your People Are a Mirror of Your Attitude

Honesty

Whatever ethical plane you hold yourself to, when you are responsible for a team of people, its important to raise the bar even higher. Your business and its employees are a reflection of yourself, and if you make honest and ethical behavior a key value, your team will follow suit.

As we do at Onevest, the crowdfunding platform for entrepreneurs and small businesses I co-founded, try to make a list of values and core beliefs that both you and your brand represent, and post this in your office. Promote a healthy interoffice lifestyle, and encourage your team to live up to these standards. By emphasizing these standards, and displaying them yourself, you will hopefully influence the office environment into a friendly and helpful workspace.

Prophet was a human and an example he was called the truthful even before prophethood....

2ndly, It isnt hard...but material desires cloud our thinking so bad we find it hard! As a matter of fact it is harder to lie and having to maintain it!

Prophet's all of them are free from Sins , so we cant Compare them with us , they are our role models but in real we cant be like them no matter what we do , how much good we become ..
the difference is always there ..

The people are a mirror of the leader not the other way round...Another point also brought this up

yeah but i remember as Allah said " Jaise Awaam , waise hi hokmaran ..

11150287_839565169432735_5024492012899870876_n.jpg

Prophet's all of them are free from Sins , so we cant Compare them with us , they are our role models but in real we cant be like them no matter what we do , how much good we become ..
the difference is always there ..
I will ignore this as trolls will feed off it....Nabi Yunus in the belly of the whale asked for repentance...if he never did wrong why say sorry? It was as an example that man will do wrong and his doa is made an example!

yeah but i remember as Allah said " Jaise Awaam , waise hi hokmaran ..
I never read this in the Quran...sure it said about punishment, but before every punishment a prophet comes....We ran out of prophets...Last will be day of judgement!

I will ignore this as trolls will feed off it....Nabi Yunus in the belly of the whale asked for repentance...if he never did wrong why say sorry? It was as an example that man will do wrong and his doa is made an example!

well that is not a troll , the story you say about Yunus pbuh , was different .. he did not do something wrong but he just run away from his duties , and his Story was used as a Sign for Jesus Pbuh so , its not right to use it here ...

I never read this in the Quran...sure it said about punishment, but before every punishment a prophet comes....We ran out of prophets...Last will be day of judgement!

we know this long ago , Last Prophet has taken a Apology for Us , that is why we are alive by now ...
and the muslims does not care about judgment anymore , cause if they do .. you wont see seeing much chaos in our society along with other muslim countries

Honesty & humility are two qualities that are always valued, no matter where you go. IF you are strong enough to draw the line, and say I will not lie, cheat, deceive. Sooner or later it will pay you back handsomely.

As to good leaders, what I have personally noticed is, that people who are open minded, and in touch with the grass root levels of an organization, as well as know their industry inside out, are the ones who make great leaders.

Peace!

Back
Top Bottom